A5/A6 rework capacitor location - was Re: Crackly Calls and Battery Tips! A5/A6 rework. Corrected URL

A5/A6 rework capacitor location - was Re: Crackly Calls and Battery Tips! A5/A6 rework. Corrected URL

Al Johnson
I'm moving this one to the hardware list since the topic is now more suited.

On Thursday 18 December 2008, Joel Newkirk wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:00:34 +0000, Al Johnson
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 December 2008, Joel Newkirk wrote:
> >> I don't know what the physical
> >> difference is for the power tweak. (V6 can power up from wall power
> >
> > without
> >
> >> battery)
> >
> > It's a bigger C1767 - according to the schematics it's 4.7uF on A5, 47uF
> > on A6
> > and 100uF on A7. Werner's writeup of the investigations is here:
> >
> > http://people.openmoko.org/werner/gta02-chg/
>
> Thanks - that was most of what I was needing.  Unfortunately it doesn't
> identify the real estate occupied by C1767 there, nor in the component
> placement diagrams.
>
> Can someone point me at the right spot on the board?  If it's got enough
> room for the same 3528 cap we're looking at for the big-C rework (which I
> doubt, though it looks like it will fit for the big-C position) that would
> be great.

At times like these I wish the component placement file was searchable like
the schematic. I would expect it to be near U1701, to the gps side of the
battery and headset connectors, but so far I haven't spotted it. There's a
pair of pads unlabelled between C1764 and H-TP1704 that seem a reasonable
size and location but could be something else entirely.

Re: A5/A6 rework capacitor location

Joerg Reisenweber
Am Do  18. Dezember 2008 schrieb Al Johnson:

> I'm moving this one to the hardware list since the topic is now more suited.
>
> On Thursday 18 December 2008, Joel Newkirk wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:00:34 +0000, Al Johnson
> >
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > without

> > > It's a bigger C1767 - according to the schematics it's 4.7uF on A5, 47uF
> > > on A6
> > > and 100uF on A7. Werner's writeup of the investigations is here:
> > >
> > > http://people.openmoko.org/werner/gta02-chg/
> >
> > Thanks - that was most of what I was needing.  Unfortunately it doesn't
> > identify the real estate occupied by C1767 there, nor in the component
> > placement diagrams.
> >
> > Can someone point me at the right spot on the board?  If it's got enough
> > room for the same 3528 cap we're looking at for the big-C rework (which I
> > doubt, though it looks like it will fit for the big-C position) that would
> > be great.
>
> At times like these I wish the component placement file was searchable like
> the schematic. I would expect it to be near U1701, to the gps side of the
> battery and headset connectors, but so far I haven't spotted it. There's a
> pair of pads unlabelled between C1764 and H-TP1704 that seem a reasonable
> size and location but could be something else entirely.
Sorry about the non-searchability of component-placement. Actually I also find
it's very annoying.
I'll go to spot the capacitor for you. It's the only difference from A5
(non-boot) to A7(always boot).

cheers
jOERG