[ANNOUNCE] dfu-util 0.4 release

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[ANNOUNCE] dfu-util 0.4 release

Stefan Schmidt-2
Hello.

After a longer time then expected we finally have a 0.4 release out
for dfu-util. Next to some bug fixes and smaller enhancements we have
two major changes in this release.

First we have the rewrite to use the new libusb-1.0 API. Formerly we
used the pre 1.0 API from libusb. Its fading out though and we updated
to the lib which means and updated libusb is needed now. Its available
in all major linux distros though so that should not be a problem.

The second big change is the addition of DFU suffix handling.
Something that is mandatory from the spec but was never implemented as
it was not used on the Openmoko devices. Other DFU implementations are
using it and now we finally have support for it.

A big thanks goes to Tormod Volden for his DFU suffix work as well as
many many bug fixes for the new libusb code.

Give it some testing if you like. The tarballs are at the usual place:
http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/releases/

0.4:
        o Rework to use libusb-1.0 (Stefan Schmidt)
        o DFU suffix support (Tormod Volden, Stefan Schmidt)
        o Sspeed up DFU downloads directly into memory (Bernard Blackham)
        o More flexible -d vid:pid parsing (Tormod Volden)
        o Many bug fixes and cleanups

2011-07-20: Stefan Schmidt <[hidden email]>

regards
Stefan Schmidt

_______________________________________________
devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [ANNOUNCE] dfu-util 0.4 release

Patryk Benderz
Dnia 2011-07-20, śro o godzinie 21:23 +0200, Stefan Schmidt pisze:
> Hello.
>
> After a longer time then expected we finally have a 0.4 release out
> for dfu-util.
Great news! :)
[cut]

> The second big change is the addition of DFU suffix handling.
> Something that is mandatory from the spec but was never implemented as
> it was not used on the Openmoko devices.
Finally dfu-util is becoming universal tool. Good job guys!
[cut]

> Give it some testing if you like. The tarballs are at the usual place:
> http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/releases/
Are you planning to make packages for distributions?

--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521
()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments


_______________________________________________
devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [ANNOUNCE] dfu-util 0.4 release

Stefan Schmidt-2
Hello.

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 09:24, Patryk Benderz wrote:
> Dnia 2011-07-20, śro o godzinie 21:23 +0200, Stefan Schmidt pisze:
>
> > The second big change is the addition of DFU suffix handling.
> > Something that is mandatory from the spec but was never implemented as
> > it was not used on the Openmoko devices.
> Finally dfu-util is becoming universal tool. Good job guys!

Thanks. I'm always looking for people that are testing dfu-util with
other DFU capable devices. I just have a small collection here and I
would be interested  in more informations if it works with other
devices. I started a small list in DEVICES.txt which hopefully will
grow over time. :)

> > Give it some testing if you like. The tarballs are at the usual place:
> > http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/releases/
> Are you planning to make packages for distributions?

I'm not going to do this myself. For Gentoo and Debian/Ubuntu we
have package mainatiners which took care about this before and I
hope they will keep doing. From the big distros that left Fedora and
OpenSuse out. Last time I checked they did not have a dfu.util
package. If someones wants to take care of this please go ahead.

regards
Stefan Schmidt

_______________________________________________
devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [ANNOUNCE] dfu-util 0.4 release

Stefan Schmidt-2
Hello.

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 09:43, Stefan Schmidt wrote:

>
> On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 09:24, Patryk Benderz wrote:
> > Dnia 2011-07-20, śro o godzinie 21:23 +0200, Stefan Schmidt pisze:
>
> > > Give it some testing if you like. The tarballs are at the usual place:
> > > http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/releases/
> > Are you planning to make packages for distributions?
>
> I'm not going to do this myself. For Gentoo and Debian/Ubuntu we
> have package mainatiners which took care about this before and I
> hope they will keep doing. From the big distros that left Fedora and
> OpenSuse out. Last time I checked they did not have a dfu.util
> package. If someones wants to take care of this please go ahead.

Holger 'zecke' Freyther that he has setup an OpenSuse Build Service
for dfu-util. Many thanks for this! It just gets ramped up so all be
patient please while problems get sorted out. :)

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=dfu-util&project=home%3Azecke23

Until we find package mainatiner for the other distros these packages
can be used if you want to avoid compiling it yourself. I'm still
lookign for package maintainers though to get into into the default
repositories.

regards
Stefan Schmidt

_______________________________________________
devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [ANNOUNCE] dfu-util 0.4 release

philip_rhoades
People,


On 2011-07-22 19:11, Stefan Schmidt wrote:

> Hello.
>
> On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 09:43, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 09:24, Patryk Benderz wrote:
>> > Dnia 2011-07-20, śro o godzinie 21:23 +0200, Stefan Schmidt pisze:
>>
>> > > Give it some testing if you like. The tarballs are at the usual
>> place:
>> > > http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/releases/
>> > Are you planning to make packages for distributions?
>>
>> I'm not going to do this myself. For Gentoo and Debian/Ubuntu we
>> have package mainatiners which took care about this before and I
>> hope they will keep doing. From the big distros that left Fedora and
>> OpenSuse out. Last time I checked they did not have a dfu.util
>> package. If someones wants to take care of this please go ahead.
>
> Holger 'zecke' Freyther that he has setup an OpenSuse Build Service
> for dfu-util. Many thanks for this! It just gets ramped up so all be
> patient please while problems get sorted out. :)
>
>
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=dfu-util&project=home%3Azecke23
>
> Until we find package mainatiner for the other distros these packages
> can be used if you want to avoid compiling it yourself. I'm still
> lookign for package maintainers though to get into into the default
> repositories.


It appears that the old version is available for Fedora 14 (so I
presume it is available for later versions):

   dfu-util.x86_64  0.3-1.fc14  updates

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
Loading...