[ANNOUNCE] dfu-util 0.6 release

Stefan Schmidt-2
Hello.

It was about time again to bundle all changes in dfu-util land
together and make a release out of it. The major changes in this
release is the addition of a DFU suffix manipulation tool and support
for windows binary builds.

Both features have been long standing todo items and its a pleasure to
see this finally falling into place. For details please have a look below.

0.6:
        o Add detach mode (Stefan Schmidt)
        o Check return value on all libusb calls (Tormod Volden)
        o Add DFU suffix manipulation tool (Stefan Schmidt)
        o Port to Windows: (Tormod Volden, some parts based on work from Satz
          Klauer)
          o Port file handling to stdio streams
          o Sleep() macros
          o C99 types
          o Pack structs
        o Detect DfuSe device correctly on big-endian architectures (Tormod
          Volden)
        o Add dfuse progress indication on download (Tormod Volden)
        o Cleanup: gcc pedantic, gcc extension, ... (Tormod Volden)
        o Rely on page size from functional descriptor. Please report if you get
          an error about it.  (Tormod Volden)
        o Add quirk for Maple since it reports wrong DFU version (Tormod Volden)

2012-04-22: Stefan Schmidt <[hidden email]>

A zip file with the windows binaries together with a libusb.dll can
now be found in our releases folder like all tarballs and md5 and gpg
signatures:

http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/releases/

A description how to register your device with libusb under windows is
included in the zip file.

regards
Stefan Schmidt

Re: [ANNOUNCE] dfu-util 0.6 release

Patryk Benderz
Dnia 2012-04-27, pią o godzinie 22:57 +0100, Stefan Schmidt pisze:
> Hello.
>
> It was about time again to bundle all changes in dfu-util land
> together and make a release out of it.
Great job guys! As devel ML is rather low traffic, maybe it would be
wise to announce also on [hidden email] ?
--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 10:00, Patryk Benderz wrote:
> Dnia 2012-04-27, pią o godzinie 22:57 +0100, Stefan Schmidt pisze:
> >
> > It was about time again to bundle all changes in dfu-util land
> > together and make a release out of it.
> Great job guys! As devel ML is rather low traffic, maybe it would be
> wise to announce also on [hidden email] ?

Hmm, announce was really used for Openmoko products and releases.
(Ab-)using it now for dfu-util might be a bit much. We stayed for
discussions on this list as it was used for it before and we did not
see much point in having our own dfu-util list with maybe only a
handfull of people.

Actually I don't know how many people are still using dfu-util with
Openmoko devices. Many have switched to Qi and SD card booting it
seems to me. Getting some feedback on this would be nice.

How many of you are using a recent dfu-util version for flashing
their Openmoko devices?

regards
Stefan Schmidt

Re: [ANNOUNCE] dfu-util 0.6 release

Patryk Benderz
[cut]
> Actually I don't know how many people are still using dfu-util with
> Openmoko devices.
I would say, all of them, who use QtMoko and SHR.

>  Many have switched to Qi
Isn't Qi only a bootloader? And AFAIK is not able to flash FR?

>  and SD card booting it seems to me. Getting some feedback on this
> would be nice.
If you take a look at wiki, there are plenty of instructions how to
manually flash FR. And most (all?) are using dfu-util (I do not know
what tool is used to flash FR while booting from SD card).

> How many of you are using a recent dfu-util version for flashing
> their Openmoko devices?
Me :) , but don't count on much response on this ML. I have already
asked this question on other MLs [1]

[1]
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2012-May/066885.html
http://lists.shr-project.org/pipermail/shr-user/2012-May/007573.html

--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521

Re: [ANNOUNCE] dfu-util 0.6 release

Patryk Benderz
[cut]
> Getting some feedback on this would be nice.
Hi Stefan
regarding your question above, I have asked it on other ML [1] and in
just one day ~14 person responded. All of them are using dfu-util to
flash theirs (different types) devices. So as you can see, announcements
about new versions of dfu-util should be CCed to other ML.

[1]
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2012-May/066885.html
http://lists.shr-project.org/pipermail/shr-user/2012-May/007573.html

--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521

Re: [ANNOUNCE] dfu-util 0.6 release

Boudewijn
On Monday 07 May 2012 11:35:24 Stefan Schmidt wrote:

> Hello.
>
> On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 10:00, Patryk Benderz wrote:
> > Dnia 2012-04-27, pią o godzinie 22:57 +0100, Stefan Schmidt pisze:
> > > It was about time again to bundle all changes in dfu-util land
> > > together and make a release out of it.
> >
> > Great job guys! As devel ML is rather low traffic, maybe it would be
> > wise to announce also on [hidden email] ?
>
> Hmm, announce was really used for Openmoko products and releases.
> (Ab-)using it now for dfu-util might be a bit much. We stayed for
> discussions on this list as it was used for it before and we did not
> see much point in having our own dfu-util list with maybe only a
> handfull of people.
>
> Actually I don't know how many people are still using dfu-util with
> Openmoko devices. Many have switched to Qi and SD card booting it
> seems to me. Getting some feedback on this would be nice.

I second Patryks words: thank you for your continued work on dfu-util!

I am subscribed to communitiy as well as devel, and see the volume of replies
to Patryks little poll reaching the volume of mails you have been exchaning
while developing dfu-util. Most are using dfu-util, with one or two
exceptions.

I use dfu-util as well for flashing my Freerunner. My GTA04 does not support
DFU, as far as I know, but I enjoy reading your step by step progress whenever
I can spare the time.

Thanks again!

Boudewijn

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 15:05, Patryk Benderz wrote:
> [cut]
> > Actually I don't know how many people are still using dfu-util with
> > Openmoko devices.
> I would say, all of them, who use QtMoko and SHR.
>
> >  Many have switched to Qi
> Isn't Qi only a bootloader? And AFAIK is not able to flash FR?

It is but after the initial flashing of Qi itself you should be able
to boot it from SD only. That was at leats the initial goal for Qi.

> >  and SD card booting it seems to me. Getting some feedback on this
> > would be nice.
> If you take a look at wiki, there are plenty of instructions how to
> manually flash FR. And most (all?) are using dfu-util (I do not know
> what tool is used to flash FR while booting from SD card).

You would just pop out the card and write them in a cardreader on your
normal PC.

> > How many of you are using a recent dfu-util version for flashing
> > their Openmoko devices?
> Me :) , but don't count on much response on this ML. I have already
> asked this question on other MLs [1]

Yeah, thanks for that. We will keep up the work. Nice to see people
using it. :)

On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 00:02, Boudewijn wrote:

> On Monday 07 May 2012 11:35:24 Stefan Schmidt wrote:

> > > Great job guys! As devel ML is rather low traffic, maybe it would be
> > > wise to announce also on [hidden email] ?
> >
> > Hmm, announce was really used for Openmoko products and releases.
> > (Ab-)using it now for dfu-util might be a bit much. We stayed for
> > discussions on this list as it was used for it before and we did not
> > see much point in having our own dfu-util list with maybe only a
> > handfull of people.
> >
> > Actually I don't know how many people are still using dfu-util with
> > Openmoko devices. Many have switched to Qi and SD card booting it
> > seems to me. Getting some feedback on this would be nice.
> >
> I second Patryks words: thank you for your continued work on dfu-util!
>
> I am subscribed to communitiy as well as devel, and see the volume of replies
> to Patryks little poll reaching the volume of mails you have been exchaning
> while developing dfu-util. Most are using dfu-util, with one or two
> exceptions.
>
> I use dfu-util as well for flashing my Freerunner. My GTA04 does not support
> DFU, as far as I know, but I enjoy reading your step by step progress whenever
> I can spare the time.

Thanks for your kind words. We will keep working on it at a slow but
steady pace for sure. :)

regards
Stefan Schmidt