Quantcast

AT&T and my beloved Freerunner

error
AT&T has been calling and text'ing for the last 2 months.  They have informed me that my phone will no longer be compatible with their network on Monday Aug 29-30, 2011.  Has anyone else running into this issue?

Re: AT&T and my beloved Freerunner

Joshua Judson Rosen
error <[hidden email]> writes:

> AT&T has been calling and text'ing for the last 2 months.  They have informed
> me that my phone will no longer be compatible with their network on Monday
> Aug 29-30, 2011.  Has anyone else running into this issue?

Yes. They eventually started *intercepting my calls* and redirecting
them to a call-centre where someone would insist that they had to
give me a new phone. This happened several times (and they sent me
several phones--insistent that it had to be so. But this turned out
not to be a good thing...)). A long and convoluted story later,
I decided that it was worthwhile to flee AT&T and go to T-Mobile.
AT&T made a last-ditch attempt to keep me by holding a cheap phone
that I'd had on my plan hostage.

Of course, shortly thereafter, AT&T announced that they would be
buying T-Mobile.

For the time being, T-Mobile has in fact provided a superior experience--
in every way except that SHR, for some reason, just doesn't work right
with my T-Mobile SIM. QtMoko works fine, tho'.

Re: AT&T and my beloved Freerunner

Wolfgang Spraul-4
> > AT&T has been calling and text'ing for the last 2 months.  They have informed
> > me that my phone will no longer be compatible with their network on Monday
> > Aug 29-30, 2011.  Has anyone else running into this issue?
>
> Yes. They eventually started *intercepting my calls* and redirecting
> them to a call-centre where someone would insist that they had to
> give me a new phone. This happened several times

That is so very interesting. Means we have to speed up building our
own networks :-)
Cheers,
Wolfgang

Liz

Re: AT&T and my beloved Freerunner

Liz
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:31:44 -0700 (PDT)
error <[hidden email]> wrote:

> AT&T has been calling and text'ing for the last 2 months.  They have
> informed me that my phone will no longer be compatible with their
> network on Monday Aug 29-30, 2011.  Has anyone else running into this
> issue?

Sitting in another part of the world, this sounds like complete rubbish
to me.
Massive network upgrades put phones out of use - here changes from one
frequency to another, or from analog to digital.

Re: AT&T and my beloved Freerunner

Thomas Gstädtner
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:09, Liz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:31:44 -0700 (PDT)
> error <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> AT&T has been calling and text'ing for the last 2 months.  They have
>> informed me that my phone will no longer be compatible with their
>> network on Monday Aug 29-30, 2011.  Has anyone else running into this
>> issue?

This looks a lot like IMEI blacklisting to me, I can't imagine any other reason.
In the states, I assume the FCC is the authority to contact with such
problems, and that's what I would do in this case, because the Neo is
FCC approved.

> Sitting in another part of the world, this sounds like complete rubbish
> to me.
> Massive network upgrades put phones out of use - here changes from one
> frequency to another, or from analog to digital.

Upgrades never put phones out of use as upgrades always keep backwards
compatibility.
There have been several upgrades on GSM networks all over the world,
yet every GSM phone that's compliant should still work, because the
standard is still valid (even though old devices might not be able to
use new features). So there is no reason why the Neo wouldn't be
supported anymore.

Of course networks get replaced by newer standards which are
non-compliant, but that can hardly be called an upgrade of an existing
network, because it always will be a completely new network.

Re: AT&T and my beloved Freerunner

Benjamin Deering
I switched from AT&T to tmobile a couple years ago to get on tmobile's 200 minute plan. I found this which mentions some AT&T network changes that result in them trying to replace old phones:
http://www.phonecan.com/index.php/customer-qustions-at-t-sent-me-a-letter-for-a-free-upgrade-with-no-contract

"Shutdown of the Cellular One Network - AT&T purchased Cellular One and began migrating customers late in 2007.  Customers had the option of keeping the same phone and were sent a special SIM card to make it compatible with the AT&T network.  In order to make the Cell One phones compatible certain parts of the legacy Cell One network had to be maintained even after the migration process was complete.  In late 2010 the campaign for the network shutdown began and the customers still using their Cell One phones were given the option of a free upgrade with no contract or yet another SIM card that would make their phones compatible with the AT&T network.

Shutdown of the (Original) AT&T Wireless Network – Cingular purchased AT&T Wireless in 2004.  Cingular changed its name to AT&T Mobility in 2007 after one of its parent companies purchased AT&T Incorporated, provider of landline services.  Years later there are still a few customers on the network using their same handsets from AT&T wireless that are at least 6 years old.  The free no-contract upgrade letters began going out in early 2011.  The actual shutdown happens in May.  As of yet I have not heard of the option to just get a new SIM.

Single-Band GSM (2G) 1900mhz Handset Users – After the merger of AT&T Wireless and Cingular in 2004, Cingular owned licenses in the 850 and 1900 band throughout most of the country.  Cingular “dual cast” its GSM signal in both bands until it began deployment of its 3G network in 2005.  The 3G technology then took over the 1900 band.  If you’re in one of the 2G areas that are scheduled to be upgraded to 3G in the soon future and you have one of these phones, you would have received one of these mailers offering a free upgrade with no contract.

Users of 2G Phones with High Voice Usage – I don’t fully understand the technological aspects of this one.  All I know it the users who currently using 2G phones in certain states (California is one of them) are being sent free-upgrade-with-no-contract mailers.  I could speculate that the 3G handles voice calls more efficiently and they want to keep both 2G and 3G networks running smoothly, but that’s purely speculation."