Battery cover printed at shapeways

Alexander Lehner

Hello,

today I've received my battery cover printed at shapeways with the
material type 'frosted ultra detail'.

Pictures here:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/User:Blutsauger#Battery_cover_printed_with_shapeways

The cover has a perfect fit and the same flexibility as the original part.
The details of the small noses are very fine and match exactly into their
slots.

I unfortunately forgot who did the re-design of the cad data.
Could this guy probably put the front-cover into the shapeways market as
well?
I would be willing to take over the production costs. The backside part
was around 40 EUR.

BTW, whoever needs a battery cover - I've got one to give away for free
now ;)

Alex.

Re: Battery cover printed at shapeways

Patryk Benderz
That looks very promising. I assume GTA04 guys would be very interested
in this. You can reach them on this ML: [hidden email]
They are looking for cases for GTA04 now.
--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521

Re: Battery cover printed at shapeways

Boudewijn

On Wednesday 11 January 2012 13:34:24 Alexander Lehner wrote:

> Hello,

> today I've received my battery cover printed at shapeways with the

> material type 'frosted ultra detail'.

> Pictures here:

> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/User:Blutsauger#Battery_cover_printed_with_sh

> apeways

> The cover has a perfect fit and the same flexibility as the original part.

> The details of the small noses are very fine and match exactly into their

> slots.

> I unfortunately forgot who did the re-design of the cad data.

> Could this guy probably put the front-cover into the shapeways market as

> well?

> I would be willing to take over the production costs. The backside part

> was around 40 EUR.

> BTW, whoever needs a battery cover - I've got one to give away for free

> now ;)

> Alex.

I agree with Patryk, great! Do you have an idea how shapeways calculates the price? I used to think it was about volume of used material, but I come to suspect it is about the volume of the smallest box that fits the printed model.

The kitchen balance ran out of batterys, I guess the weight of the cover is about 20 grams. Without the clips the volume would be much smaller. Levs suggestion of replacing the clips with screws might be economically viable, even if the mechanics are precise enough (as long as it brings back the price of the cover by 70%...).

Boudewijn

PS, I saw you already forwarded to GTA4-owners, I took the liberty of CC as well. What is handy in this regard? I think actually there are few non-openmoko-listers that are on gta4-owners. I don't know mailinglist-etiquette in this regard and my mail client at least does not combine shared threads to different mailing lists.

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Re: [Gta04-owner] Battery cover printed at shapeways

Alexander Lehner

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012, Boudewijn wrote:

> I agree with Patryk, great! Do you have an idea how shapeways calculates the
> price? I used to think it was about volume of used material, but I come to
> suspect it is about the volume of the smallest box that fits the printed
> model.

Good question, I'll ask them.
Usability in favor of design.

> PS, I saw you already forwarded to GTA4-owners, I took the liberty of CC as
> well. What is handy in this regard? I think actually there are few non-
> openmoko-listers that are on gta4-owners. I don't know mailinglist-etiquette
> in this regard and my mail client at least does not combine shared threads to
> different mailing lists.

I guess the etiquette doesn't exist. If you think that your message is
important, post it to both lists, so that users have to delete it twice ;)

Alex.