CMOS battery replacement

Andrew Schenck
The secondhand GTA04 I have now is pretty beat up and can't charge
because the USB port is disconnected.  I've been using a spare GTA02 as
a charger, but every time I switch out batteries the clock resets to
12/12/1999 16:00 and it's a pain to re-set it since network time doesn't
work.  I couldn't find any information on the wiki about replacing the
CMOS battery to solve this problem; has anyone here dealt with this same
problem before and have recommendations?

I disassembled a GTA02 enough to see the battery, but it didn't yield to
gentle pressure trying to slide out of its bracket and I don't want to
destroy things too badly in my attempt to fix them so I didn't push too
hard.  Because of this, I don't even know the exact type of button cell
to buy to replace it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Andrew

Re: CMOS battery replacement

Benjamin Deering-2

The backup battery (supercap?) is welded to its bracket and
won't push out.

I replaced the backup batteries in my GTA02s with supercaps several
years ago.
http://www.jeepingben.net/zen/zenphoto/index.php?album=2010/freerunner_supercap_install

The parts I used didn't match the original footprint so it was a little
work.  If you get the exact replacement part, it would be easy if you
have soldering experience.

I vaguely remember a software problem causing the line that charges the
backup bat/cap not being set high.

Good luck,

Ben

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 12:26:54 -0800
Andrew Schenck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The secondhand GTA04 I have now is pretty beat up and can't charge
> because the USB port is disconnected.  I've been using a spare GTA02
> as a charger, but every time I switch out batteries the clock resets
> to 12/12/1999 16:00 and it's a pain to re-set it since network time
> doesn't work.  I couldn't find any information on the wiki about
> replacing the CMOS battery to solve this problem; has anyone here
> dealt with this same problem before and have recommendations?
>
> I disassembled a GTA02 enough to see the battery, but it didn't yield
> to gentle pressure trying to slide out of its bracket and I don't
> want to destroy things too badly in my attempt to fix them so I
> didn't push too hard.  Because of this, I don't even know the exact
> type of button cell to buy to replace it.  Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> -Andrew

Re: CMOS battery replacement

Andrew Schenck
That's a lot more work than I had hoped.  Thanks very much for the info
though.  If I'm going to be soldering I might as well try to fix the USB
port and GPS port at the same time.

-Andrew

On 12/11/2015 1:30 PM, Benjamin Deering wrote:

> The backup battery (supercap?) is welded to its bracket and
> won't push out.
>
> I replaced the backup batteries in my GTA02s with supercaps several
> years ago.
> http://www.jeepingben.net/zen/zenphoto/index.php?album=2010/freerunner_supercap_install
>
> The parts I used didn't match the original footprint so it was a little
> work.  If you get the exact replacement part, it would be easy if you
> have soldering experience.
>
> I vaguely remember a software problem causing the line that charges the
> backup bat/cap not being set high.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Ben
>
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 12:26:54 -0800
> Andrew Schenck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The secondhand GTA04 I have now is pretty beat up and can't charge
>> because the USB port is disconnected.  I've been using a spare GTA02
>> as a charger, but every time I switch out batteries the clock resets
>> to 12/12/1999 16:00 and it's a pain to re-set it since network time
>> doesn't work.  I couldn't find any information on the wiki about
>> replacing the CMOS battery to solve this problem; has anyone here
>> dealt with this same problem before and have recommendations?
>>
>> I disassembled a GTA02 enough to see the battery, but it didn't yield
>> to gentle pressure trying to slide out of its bracket and I don't
>> want to destroy things too badly in my attempt to fix them so I
>> didn't push too hard.  Because of this, I don't even know the exact
>> type of button cell to buy to replace it.  Any help would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Andrew

Re: CMOS battery replacement

Benjamin Deering-2
On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 15:38:54 -0800
Andrew Schenck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's a lot more work than I had hoped.  Thanks very much for the
> info though.  If I'm going to be soldering I might as well try to fix
> the USB port and GPS port at the same time.
>
> -Andrew
>
> On 12/11/2015 1:30 PM, Benjamin Deering wrote:
> > The backup battery (supercap?) is welded to its bracket and
> > won't push out.
> >
> > I replaced the backup batteries in my GTA02s with supercaps several
> > years ago.
> > http://www.jeepingben.net/zen/zenphoto/index.php?album=2010/freerunner_supercap_install
> >
> > The parts I used didn't match the original footprint so it was a
> > little work.  If you get the exact replacement part, it would be
> > easy if you have soldering experience.
> >
> > I vaguely remember a software problem causing the line that charges
> > the backup bat/cap not being set high.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 12:26:54 -0800
> > Andrew Schenck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> The secondhand GTA04 I have now is pretty beat up and can't charge
> >> because the USB port is disconnected.  I've been using a spare
> >> GTA02 as a charger, but every time I switch out batteries the
> >> clock resets to 12/12/1999 16:00 and it's a pain to re-set it
> >> since network time doesn't work.  I couldn't find any information
> >> on the wiki about replacing the CMOS battery to solve this
> >> problem; has anyone here dealt with this same problem before and
> >> have recommendations?
I was successful in fixing the USB port, but never tried the GPS port.
The GPS port is under a lot of stress when the board is installed.

I ended up giving up on the traces and soldering thin wires to the ESD
protection chip and to the leads on the jack.

After getting the USB port connected electrically, I used JB weld epoxy
to fix it mechanically.  The repair lasted years including some pretty
rough use and being reflow soldered.

Good luck,

Ben

> >> I disassembled a GTA02 enough to see the battery, but it didn't
> >> yield to gentle pressure trying to slide out of its bracket and I
> >> don't want to destroy things too badly in my attempt to fix them
> >> so I didn't push too hard.  Because of this, I don't even know the
> >> exact type of button cell to buy to replace it.  Any help would be
> >> appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> -Andrew

Re: CMOS battery replacement

H. Nikolaus Schaller
Hi,

Am 12.12.2015 um 03:06 schrieb Benjamin Deering <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 15:38:54 -0800
> Andrew Schenck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That's a lot more work than I had hoped.  Thanks very much for the
>> info though.  If I'm going to be soldering I might as well try to fix
>> the USB port and GPS port at the same time.
>>
>> -Andrew
>>
>> On 12/11/2015 1:30 PM, Benjamin Deering wrote:
>>> The backup battery (supercap?) is welded to its bracket and
>>> won't push out.
>>>
>>> I replaced the backup batteries in my GTA02s with supercaps several
>>> years ago.
>>> http://www.jeepingben.net/zen/zenphoto/index.php?album=2010/freerunner_supercap_install
>>>
>>> The parts I used didn't match the original footprint so it was a
>>> little work.  If you get the exact replacement part, it would be
>>> easy if you have soldering experience.
>>>
>>> I vaguely remember a software problem causing the line that charges
>>> the backup bat/cap not being set high.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Ben

The GTA04 already has a supercap in battery shape. They came to the market
in ~2011.

Since there is nothing to replace (a supercap rarely fails), it is most likely
a software issue that the charging current provided by the tpw65950 is not
enabled.

So which OS&kernel are you using? In most systems I know, the RTC
"resets" to 1st Jan 2000.

> I was successful in fixing the USB port, but never tried the GPS port.
> The GPS port is under a lot of stress when the board is installed.

Should not be the case. You should move the USB+GPS socket as flat as
possible into or out from  the case. Then push out the case at the position
of the headset connector so that the latter snaps down a little in its hole.

This avoids breaking off connectors.

See also photos in chapter 4 (especially page 18) of the GTA04 system
manual:

http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/downloads/47/

> I ended up giving up on the traces and soldering thin wires to the ESD
> protection chip and to the leads on the jack.

That is fine and indeed sometimes needed if a socket was broken off.

> After getting the USB port connected electrically, I used JB weld epoxy
> to fix it mechanically.  The repair lasted years including some pretty
> rough use and being reflow soldered.

> Good luck,
>
> Ben

The GTA04 original part is a PAS414HR-VG1.

BTW: it should also work in the GTA02 (which has a real 3.3V LiIon cell
in 414 package).

BR and also good luck,
Nikolaus

On 12/19/2015 9:27 AM, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 12.12.2015 um 03:06 schrieb Benjamin Deering <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 15:38:54 -0800
>> Andrew Schenck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> That's a lot more work than I had hoped.  Thanks very much for the
>>> info though.  If I'm going to be soldering I might as well try to fix
>>> the USB port and GPS port at the same time.
>>>
>>> -Andrew

> The GTA04 already has a supercap in battery shape. They came to the market
> in ~2011.
>
> Since there is nothing to replace (a supercap rarely fails), it is most likely
> a software issue that the charging current provided by the tpw65950 is not
> enabled.
That's good to know.  I had foolishly assumed that the GTA04 used the
same solution as the GTA02.

> So which OS&kernel are you using? In most systems I know, the RTC
> "resets" to 1st Jan 2000.
I'm using Radek's last QtMoko, v56  for GTA04, kernel
3.7.0-gta04-qtmoko-v56.  The RTC *does* reset to 1 Jan 2000 0:00 but I'm
at UTC -8:00 so it becomes Dec 31, 1999 16:00.   If I could trigger the
tpw65950 manually via console every once in a while that would be fine
enough.

Thanks,
-Andrew