Categorizing images on the wiki

Marko Knöbl-2
This is a proposal for categorizing images on the Openmoko Wiki, just
like we are doing with pages.

I came up with this idea when I updated the SHR User Manual: I removed
several sections which are not relevant anymore. Subsequently I also
removed the link to an image of a customized bootsplash.[1] As the
manual was the only page using this image it's now hard to find this
image on the wiki, both for editors and for visitors. Therefore I'd
like to have categories like "Category: SHR screenshots" where I can
easily find certain images. These categories could be included in a
top category called "Images".

I'd like include a small guideline about this in the Wiki Editing
Guidelines. Is that okay? Comments are welcome!

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Image:SHR-Settings-Splash-Preview.png

Re: Categorizing images on the wiki

Patryk Benderz
[cut]
> like to have categories like "Category: SHR screenshots" where I can
> easily find certain images. These categories could be included in a
> top category called "Images".
Idea is good, but might be better to put such example image to separate
categories:
[[Category: SHR]]
[[Category: screenshot]] (note: singular form!)
[[Category: (other cat.)]]
This way someone looking for all screenshots would find all of them
easily. Others looking for all images for SHR would find them easily
also.

--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521

Email secured by Check Point

Re: Categorizing images on the wiki

Marko Knöbl-2
I accidentally sent my previous mail only to Patryk who kindly pointed
this out to me. So I'm quoting two mails that were exchanged in
private:

2009/12/9, Patryk Benderz <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Marko
>> Thanks for giving your opinion.
>> I just noticed that I didn't express all my ideas clearly in my
>> original short post, so I'll try to make it clearer to avoid any
>> confusion:
>> I had imagined to create a top level category called "Category:
>> images" which has several subcategories called "Category:
>> screenshots", "Category: SHR images", and so on. "Category: SHR
>> screenshots" would be a subcategory of "Category: screenshots" and
>> "Category: SHR images".
> I understood you perfectly on previous post on ML, but i am affraid that
> this version of wiki does not have subcategories funcionality. If I am
> wrong and wiki supports subcategories, than we should use it. BTW, I
> have filled request to upgrade version of wiki software, but it looks
> like none of wiki admins had time to do it.
To me it looks like subcategories are working well: for example
there's this achain of categories:
Category:Categories>Distributions>Debian>FSO>Paroli - so I think the
software shouldn't cause any problem here.

>> That way you would have to browse all subcategories of "Category:
>> screenshots" if you wanted to view all screenshots. I think that this
>> wouldn't be that much work.
>> Furthermore I think users will often be searching specifically for SHR
>> screenshots, so there should be a separate category for them.
>>
>> Concerning "Category: screenshot" vs "Category: screenshots": The
>> other categories on the wiki are using the plural form (Catagory:
> In that case we should use plural also.
>
> P.S. I think it is better to discuss such things on ML, not private.
> Don't hesitate to embarrass people on ML. Most of times this
> embarrassment is a result of their actions - not yours. Like this time:
> i didn't checked if categories on wiki are plural or singular-my fault.
Thanks for pointing this out - As I mentioned above I hadn't noticed
that I wasn't replying to the list.

marko