Quantcast

FS Freerunner

xChris
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: FS Freerunner

Timo Juhani Lindfors
xChris <[hidden email]> writes:
> Excellent condition used mainly for development/pda (as it was incompatible
> with my 3G usim)

3G sim support was fixed 22 months ago btw,
http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/666

Re: FS Freerunner

xChris
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: FS Freerunner

Alex Samorukov-2

If you updated gsm firmware but it doesnt work then may be the problem
is with the device itself?

On 09/05/2010 06:13 PM, xChris wrote:
>   I know about it.
>
> I had no luck, the FR does not 'see' my 3G SIM (three mobile UK).
> But the WTF is that a 2005 mobile (Nokia 6320i) CAN use that SIM and the FR
> can't!

Re: FS Freerunner

Timo Juhani Lindfors
xChris <[hidden email]> writes:
> I had no luck, the FR does not 'see' my 3G SIM (three mobile UK).

So you updated gsm firmware?

Re: FS Freerunner

xChris
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED

xChris <[hidden email]> writes:
> yes... months ago!

Ok, I thought the problem was fixed as nobody reported any
problems. Can you report yours? I'm probably going to switch operators
in the future and it'd be very important for me that FR continues to
work with their SIMs. Any information on SIM problems would thus be valuable.

Re: FS Freerunner

David Pottage
 On 05/09/10 17:13, xChris wrote:
>  I know about it.
>
> I had no luck, the FR does not 'see' my 3G SIM (three mobile UK).
> But the WTF is that a 2005 mobile (Nokia 6320i) CAN use that SIM and the FR
> can't!
Is it that the FR can't read the SIM, or can't register with the network.

Three are well known for blocking all 2G phones on their network, though
the details of how they do it are fairly vague. One story is that they
disconnect SIMs that get used in 2G devices, another theory is that they
have a whitelist of approved devices, and only allow them to register.

I suggest you try another network.

Re: FS Freerunner

Al Johnson
On Sunday 05 September 2010, David Pottage wrote:

>  On 05/09/10 17:13, xChris wrote:
> >  I know about it.
> >
> > I had no luck, the FR does not 'see' my 3G SIM (three mobile UK).
> > But the WTF is that a 2005 mobile (Nokia 6320i) CAN use that SIM and the
> > FR can't!
>
> Is it that the FR can't read the SIM, or can't register with the network.
>
> Three are well known for blocking all 2G phones on their network, though
> the details of how they do it are fairly vague. One story is that they
> disconnect SIMs that get used in 2G devices, another theory is that they
> have a whitelist of approved devices, and only allow them to register.
>
> I suggest you try another network.

When I tried a friend's 3 SIM in a FR it wasn't recognised. It did the same in
his Nokia Communicator, so it isn't unique to the Openmokos. Stick it back in
a 3G device and it's fine. 3's T&Cs are quite specific about not allowing use
of non-3G devices. They get their fallback 2G coverage by peering with another
network (O2?) so they probably pay for that traffic.

The #666 trac entry has a broken link to a test report where IIRC a variety of
SIMs were tested in Openmoko, Calypso reference board, and another phone. I
think the conclusion was that there were some SIMs that the calypso could
support but the FR didn't at the time, and some that it just plain couldn't
support because they hadn't been standardised when the calypso was designed. I
could be misremembering, but I couldn't find a working link to that document
to check.

Re: FS Freerunner

Esteban Monge
Hello, can you ship to Costa Rica or USA?
--
http://www.nuevaeralatam.com
Linux user number 478378

“No habrá manera de desarrollarnos y salir de
la pobreza mientras los pocos negocios
grandes de nuestro medio se entreguen a las
economías foráneas y nosotros nos
quedemos con solo negocios de pobre,
mientras en vez de ser propietarios de nuestro
propio país nos convirtamos en un ejército de
empleados del exterior”
José Figueres Ferrer, 1952.