Freerunner as a gateway for computer

Dima Sorkin
Hi.

If it seems that the below questions are general Linux WiFi or
networking questions without Freerunner specific issues/hacks, please
feel free to redirect me to relevant manuals.

  (1) It is sometimes more convenient for me to connect to open WiFi
access point with Freerunner and make it serve as a gateway (for a PC
that is connected to Freerunner via USB). How do I do it?
  (2) Is it possible to cause Freerunner to serve as a WiFI AP (linked
to Internet via USB thru PC)? How?
  (3) Cause Freerunner-USB-PC chain to act as a bridge between wireless
AP and ethernet AP?

Details:
Freerunner has recent 'testing' SHR on it.
PC runs Ubuntu 10 server, however I would prefer a more generic
explanation. PC does not have wireless adapter for itself.

Thank you, regards,
  Dima.

Re: Freerunner as a gateway for computer

Joachim Ott-2
On 20 February 2011 23:12, Dima Sorkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> If it seems that the below questions are general Linux WiFi or
> networking questions without Freerunner specific issues/hacks, please
> feel free to redirect me to relevant manuals.
>
>  (1) It is sometimes more convenient for me to connect to open WiFi
> access point with Freerunner and make it serve as a gateway (for a PC
> that is connected to Freerunner via USB). How do I do it?

There is a page for gprs + usb, it should be easy to adopt that for wlan:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Tethering

>  (2) Is it possible to cause Freerunner to serve as a WiFI AP (linked
> to Internet via USB thru PC)? How?

There is some software at http://hostap.epitest.fi/ - I don't if it
works with the Freerunner hardware.

>  (3) Cause Freerunner-USB-PC chain to act as a bridge between wireless
> AP and ethernet AP?

There's a package bridge-utils, but it's not available for SHR. You
could borrow it from the debian armel package.

Re: Freerunner as a gateway for computer

Timo Juhani Lindfors
Dima Sorkin <[hidden email]> writes:
>   (2) Is it possible to cause Freerunner to serve as a WiFI AP (linked
> to Internet via USB thru PC)? How?

AP mode is not possible but you can run FR in ad-hoc mode which is
almost the same for clients.

>   (3) Cause Freerunner-USB-PC chain to act as a bridge between wireless
> AP and ethernet AP?

I don't think bridging works with wifi.