Quantcast

Freerunner shuts down every 8 min

forestmountain
Hi.

My Freerunner (SHR Illume) has started to shut down after running approx 8 min. I have no idea why this is happening. I haven't installed anything on the FR. SHR install is 6 months old and has worked fine until the last 3 weeks.

I just wanted to hear if anybody else has had this experience and if it could be related to SHR or the Freerunner itself.

In the meantime I'll try to flash with a new SHR install, to see what happens. This is really getting annoying.

TIA for any reply
Kent Knudsen

Re: Freerunner shuts down every 8 min

Joachim Ott-2
On 13 September 2010 00:03, forestmountain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> My Freerunner (SHR Illume) has started to shut down after running approx 8
> min. I have no idea why this is happening. I haven't installed anything on
> the FR. SHR install is 6 months old and has worked fine until the last 3
> weeks.
>
> I just wanted to hear if anybody else has had this experience and if it
> could be related to SHR or the Freerunner itself.
>
> In the meantime I'll try to flash with a new SHR install, to see what
> happens. This is really getting annoying.

To get closer to the solution, you could change /var/log into a
"permanent" (other than volatile) directory and direct the syslog into
a file so that you have the files across reboots. Otoh you have to
check other logfiles as they will grow until your fs is full.

cd /var ; rm -f log ; mkdir log

Modify /etc/syslog.conf, change some lines to these:

DESTINATION="file"              # log destinations (buffer file remote)
LOGFILE=/var/log/messages       # file: where to log
ROTATESIZE=512                  # file: rotate log if grown beyond X
[kByte] (busybox 1.2+)
ROTATEGENS=5                    # file: keep X generations of rotated
logs (busybox 1.2+)

Then "killall -HUP syslogd". You will see a file "/var/log/messages".
Let it shutdown and look into messages after a new boot.

Re: Freerunner shuts down every 8 min

forestmountain
This post was updated on .
Thanks, I'll have a swing at that.

Kent.

---- Joachim Ott<jo.omsl@googlemail.com> wrote ----

  On 13 September 2010 00:03, forestmountain <forestmountain@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> My Freerunner (SHR Illume) has started to shut down after running approx 8
> min. I have no idea why this is happening. I haven't installed anything on
> the FR. SHR install is 6 months old and has worked fine until the last 3
> weeks.
>
> I just wanted to hear if anybody else has had this experience and if it
> could be related to SHR or the Freerunner itself.
>
> In the meantime I'll try to flash with a new SHR install, to see what
> happens. This is really getting annoying.

To get closer to the solution, you could change /var/log into a
"permanent" (other than volatile) directory and direct the syslog into
a file so that you have the files across reboots. Otoh you have to
check other logfiles as they will grow until your fs is full.

cd /var ; rm -f log ; mkdir log

Modify /etc/syslog.conf, change some lines to these:

DESTINATION="file" # log destinations (buffer file remote)
LOGFILE=/var/log/messages # file: where to log
ROTATESIZE=512 # file: rotate log if grown beyond X
[kByte] (busybox 1.2+)
ROTATEGENS=5 # file: keep X generations of rotated
logs (busybox 1.2+)

Then "killall -HUP syslogd". You will see a file "/var/log/messages".
Let it shutdown and look into messages after a new boot.

Re: Freerunner shuts down every 8 min

forestmountain
Hm, gave up on finding the cause. The 8 min on each up-time gave me no time to do any decent look around, so I flashed with the latest unstable and the problem is gone.

---
Kent