GUI framework

zeusOne
Hi,
I would like to make a *PYTHON* application for my freerunner and I
want to use Enlightenment Foundation Library *EFL*.
I'm digging in the GUI layer and I found that there are many solutions
and I'm not sure which is the best one.

- Evas / edje, the classic one
- python-elementary, it seems to be the preferred solution now for the
SHR project
- python-terra ( http://code.openbossa.org/projects/python-terra )
just release under GPL license
- guarana ( http://profusion.mobi/node/10 ) but I believe that it
doesn't have python bindings.

Someone can give me some advice? In particular does anyone investigate
the difference between elementary and terra?

Thanks in advance
regards

Re: GUI framework

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer-2
On Monday 20 April 2009 17:26:17 Vaudano Luca wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to make a *PYTHON* application for my freerunner and I
> want to use Enlightenment Foundation Library *EFL*.
> I'm digging in the GUI layer and I found that there are many solutions
> and I'm not sure which is the best one.
>
> - Evas / edje, the classic one
> - python-elementary, it seems to be the preferred solution now for the
> SHR project
> - python-terra ( http://code.openbossa.org/projects/python-terra )
> just release under GPL license
> - guarana ( http://profusion.mobi/node/10 ) but I believe that it
> doesn't have python bindings.
>
> Someone can give me some advice? In particular does anyone investigate
> the difference between elementary and terra?

They're similar in concept, but vary in implementation. Please see the
Enlightenment mailing list for details, as I've asked this question some
months ago.

According to their authors, they're going to be merged soon anyways.

:M:

Re: GUI framework

zeusOne
Hi,
thanks for the quick reply.

I saw the thread about the difference between Elementary and Guarana
and I saw in the e17 wiki
(http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Elementary) in the "Improvements
- low priority" section the voice "merge with guarana".
So maybe between Elementary and Guarana the best one is Elementary
because it is e17 project and it seems to have more developers.

But I cannot find a comparison between python-elementary and
python-terra, maybe because python-terra became under GPL version in
the beginning of this month.
The objective seems the same because both of them are focused on
smartphone devices.

Do you know which are the differences? Which one do you suggest me?

Thanks in advance
regards

P.S. I'm working on this project http://projects.openmoko.org/projects/ebabiloo/

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday 20 April 2009 17:26:17 Vaudano Luca wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I would like to make a *PYTHON* application for my freerunner and I
>> want to use Enlightenment Foundation Library *EFL*.
>> I'm digging in the GUI layer and I found that there are many solutions
>> and I'm not sure which is the best one.
>>
>> - Evas / edje, the classic one
>> - python-elementary, it seems to be the preferred solution now for the
>> SHR project
>> - python-terra ( http://code.openbossa.org/projects/python-terra )
>> just release under GPL license
>> - guarana ( http://profusion.mobi/node/10 ) but I believe that it
>> doesn't have python bindings.
>>
>> Someone can give me some advice? In particular does anyone investigate
>> the difference between elementary and terra?
>
> They're similar in concept, but vary in implementation. Please see the
> Enlightenment mailing list for details, as I've asked this question some
> months ago.
>
> According to their authors, they're going to be merged soon anyways.
>
> :M:

Re: GUI framework

zeusOne
Hi!

This is the response that I received from the e-devel list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/enlightenment-devel@.../msg21290.html

For sure, someone is interested in it.

Best regards
Luca

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Vaudano Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I saw the thread about the difference between Elementary and Guarana
> and I saw in the e17 wiki
> (http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Elementary) in the "Improvements
> - low priority" section the voice "merge with guarana".
> So maybe between Elementary and Guarana the best one is Elementary
> because it is e17 project and it seems to have more developers.
>
> But I cannot find a comparison between python-elementary and
> python-terra, maybe because python-terra became under GPL version in
> the beginning of this month.
> The objective seems the same because both of them are focused on
> smartphone devices.
>
> Do you know which are the differences? Which one do you suggest me?
>
> Thanks in advance
> regards
>
> P.S. I'm working on this project http://projects.openmoko.org/projects/ebabiloo/
>
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Monday 20 April 2009 17:26:17 Vaudano Luca wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I would like to make a *PYTHON* application for my freerunner and I
>>> want to use Enlightenment Foundation Library *EFL*.
>>> I'm digging in the GUI layer and I found that there are many solutions
>>> and I'm not sure which is the best one.
>>>
>>> - Evas / edje, the classic one
>>> - python-elementary, it seems to be the preferred solution now for the
>>> SHR project
>>> - python-terra ( http://code.openbossa.org/projects/python-terra )
>>> just release under GPL license
>>> - guarana ( http://profusion.mobi/node/10 ) but I believe that it
>>> doesn't have python bindings.
>>>
>>> Someone can give me some advice? In particular does anyone investigate
>>> the difference between elementary and terra?
>>
>> They're similar in concept, but vary in implementation. Please see the
>> Enlightenment mailing list for details, as I've asked this question some
>> months ago.
>>
>> According to their authors, they're going to be merged soon anyways.
>>
>> :M:

Re: GUI framework

morphis
On 20.04.2009 18:43, Vaudano Luca wrote:

> Hi,
> thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I saw the thread about the difference between Elementary and Guarana
> and I saw in the e17 wiki
> (http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Elementary) in the "Improvements
> - low priority" section the voice "merge with guarana".
> So maybe between Elementary and Guarana the best one is Elementary
> because it is e17 project and it seems to have more developers.
>
> But I cannot find a comparison between python-elementary and
> python-terra, maybe because python-terra became under GPL version in
> the beginning of this month.
> The objective seems the same because both of them are focused on
> smartphone devices.
>
> Do you know which are the differences? Which one do you suggest me?

python-elementary is exactly the same as elementary. It only binds the c
function to python objects. No more differences. Use python-elementary
if you want a dynamic language like python with many great features but
low speed when running the application on the freerunner. The other
library you can use is libeflvala. It is a binding of the common efl
libraries to the vala programming language.

-- morphis