Great news: CPU ID of S3C2442B now upstreams

Great news: CPU ID of S3C2442B now upstreams

Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik
The patch that adds the CPU ID of S3C2442B, needed to boot the
Freerunner, just landed in 2.6.32[1]. Have anyone tested if mainline
Linux now boots on a Freerunner without any extra patches? The audio
driver for the Freerunner got merged[2] during 2.6.32's merge window.
Has support for other components been added to mainline since the
summary at [3] was written?

[1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=f5fb9b1a15285fde54c6b70cf35d328333e5b519
[2] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=a1daf67d721adfecc298132550bc2967c67f764f
[3] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/openmoko-kernel/2009-July/010379.html

Sincerely
Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik

Re: Great news: CPU ID of S3C2442B now upstreams

Nelson Castillo-2
On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The patch that adds the CPU ID of S3C2442B, needed to boot the
> Freerunner, just landed in 2.6.32[1]. Have anyone tested if mainline
> Linux now boots on a Freerunner without any extra patches? The audio
> driver for the Freerunner got merged[2] during 2.6.32's merge window.

I just tested. It boots with this config:

https://people.openmoko.org/arhuaco/kernel/tmp/dot-config.txt

I could log in via serial console (debug board) and also using ssh.

root@om-gta02 ~ $ uname -a
Linux om-gta02 2.6.32-GTA02_test-boot-nov-4-mokodev #14 PREEMPT Thu
Nov 5 00:37:20 COT 2009 armv4tl unknown

> Has support for other components been added to mainline since the
> summary at [3] was written?

There are a few pending patches by Lars and he might send them upstream.

Re: Great news: CPU ID of S3C2442B now upstreams

Wolfgang Spraul-3
Nelson,

> I just tested. It boots with this config:
> https://people.openmoko.org/arhuaco/kernel/tmp/dot-config.txt
> I could log in via serial console (debug board) and also using ssh.

Wow, this is fantastic! I can't believe it.
This validates all the hard work done by so many people, starting from
Harald and Werner to Andy, you, Balaji, community people like Paul and
many many others...
Fantastic!
Does this make the FreeRunner the first phone Linux mainline can boot on?

Congratulations anyway!
Wolfgang

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 01:19:06AM -0500, Nelson Castillo wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The patch that adds the CPU ID of S3C2442B, needed to boot the
> > Freerunner, just landed in 2.6.32[1]. Have anyone tested if mainline
> > Linux now boots on a Freerunner without any extra patches? The audio
> > driver for the Freerunner got merged[2] during 2.6.32's merge window.
>
> I just tested. It boots with this config:
>
> https://people.openmoko.org/arhuaco/kernel/tmp/dot-config.txt
>
> I could log in via serial console (debug board) and also using ssh.
>
> root@om-gta02 ~ $ uname -a
> Linux om-gta02 2.6.32-GTA02_test-boot-nov-4-mokodev #14 PREEMPT Thu
> Nov 5 00:37:20 COT 2009 armv4tl unknown
>
> > Has support for other components been added to mainline since the
> > summary at [3] was written?
>
> There are a few pending patches by Lars and he might send them upstream.

Re: Great news: CPU ID of S3C2442B now upstreams

Timo Juhani Lindfors
Nelson Castillo <[hidden email]> writes:
> https://people.openmoko.org/arhuaco/kernel/tmp/dot-config.txt
>
> I could log in via serial console (debug board) and also using ssh.

Very cool. Is there a list of things that don't work yet? ;-)

-Timo

Re: Great news: CPU ID of S3C2442B now upstreams

Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik
> Very cool. Is there a list of things that don't work yet? ;-)
I think a good starting point would be to look at
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/openmoko-kernel/2009-July/010379.html
to see what drivers upstream still needs and then subtract what has
been added to it since. I gave it a try at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Kernel-vanilla based on the information
I had at hand. Feel free to correct it, add to it, change it, etc.

Sincerely
Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik

Re: Great news: CPU ID of S3C2442B now upstreams

Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik
> I just tested. It boots with this config:
Great! To all who made this possible: thank you. I think this is big
enough news that it should go into Community Updates so I wrote an
item at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Community_Updates/Draft_2009-11-11#Community
If anyone wants to improve it (for example fixing my English) feel
free to do it.

> I could log in via serial console (debug board) and also using ssh.
Was it slow on you? I cross compiled 2.6.32-rc6 with your config,
booted it it and logged in over ssh. Sometimes I would write commands
and my typing would not show up on the screen before seconds later.

> There are a few pending patches by Lars and he might send them upstream.
Thank you for this information.

Sincerely
Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik

Re: Great news: CPU ID of S3C2442B now upstreams

Martin Jansa
On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 04:48:11PM +0100, Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik wrote:

> > I just tested. It boots with this config:
> Great! To all who made this possible: thank you. I think this is big
> enough news that it should go into Community Updates so I wrote an
> item at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Community_Updates/Draft_2009-11-11#Community
> If anyone wants to improve it (for example fixing my English) feel
> free to do it.
>
> > I could log in via serial console (debug board) and also using ssh.
> Was it slow on you? I cross compiled 2.6.32-rc6 with your config,
> booted it it and logged in over ssh. Sometimes I would write commands
> and my typing would not show up on the screen before seconds later.

It was slow for me too, but our great kernel guys pointed me to this
patch
http://git.openmoko.org/?p=kernel.git;a=commit;h=9163949be7080375bd6e499ee300f0e842b25a16
and with it applied it works ok, maybe its still needed for 2.6.32-rc6

--
uin:136542059                jid:[hidden email]
Jansa Martin                 sip:[hidden email]
JaMa

Re: Great news: CPU ID of S3C2442B now upstreams

Paul Fertser
Martin Jansa <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 04:48:11PM +0100, Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik wrote:
>> > I just tested. It boots with this config:
>> Great! To all who made this possible: thank you. I think this is big
>> enough news that it should go into Community Updates so I wrote an
>> item at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Community_Updates/Draft_2009-11-11#Community
>> If anyone wants to improve it (for example fixing my English) feel
>> free to do it.
>>
>> > I could log in via serial console (debug board) and also using ssh.
>> Was it slow on you? I cross compiled 2.6.32-rc6 with your config,
>> booted it it and logged in over ssh. Sometimes I would write commands
>> and my typing would not show up on the screen before seconds later.
>
> It was slow for me too, but our great kernel guys pointed me to this
> patch
> http://git.openmoko.org/?p=kernel.git;a=commit;h=9163949be7080375bd6e499ee300f0e842b25a16
> and with it applied it works ok, maybe its still needed for
> 2.6.32-rc6

It's better to use this one:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/66223/

mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Great news: CPU ID of S3C2442B now upstreams

Wolfgang Spraul-3
Nelson,
I looked some more into whether this made the FreeRunner the first phone
mainline could boot on, but actually it's not.

In comparison to other phones, getting the FreeRunner to boot only took so
long because this one tiny CPUID patch somehow was never applied.
The mainline support for some other phones is already much more advanced. For
example the Mio A701 which may already have everything in mainline.
HTC Magician is also pretty advanced already and the 6 EZX devices are more
or less on par with the FreeRunner. Even the HTC G1 will probably boot by
now, but won't do much more than starting the kernel.
(thanks to Stefan Schmidt for the feedback)

So it's still good news for the FreeRunner, fantastic news actually I think,
but we are only catching up with other phones that are already in better
shape...
Way to go I think...