Hope for the WiFi situation on Freerunner?

Hope for the WiFi situation on Freerunner?

Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik
While looking arrond in linux-next today I found this commit[1] to
staging. It adds support for the AR6003 chip. The Freerunner uses an
chip in the AR600x-series. (An older revision than v3 I think). The
commit also talk about replacing it with a new driver based on
mac80211, ath6k. According to [2], the driver is supposed to be for
the AR600x family of chips while currently only v3 is supported. [2]
also contains (unfree) firmware for v3. Does anyone have an idea about
how useful all this is for the chip in the Freerunner? (For example:
How different is the AR6003 from the one in the Freerunner?)

Footnotes:
[1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git;a=commit;h=30295c8936f3a426985e99bebb17d72bd7847910
[2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath6kl

Sincerely
Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik

Re: Hope for the WiFi situation on Freerunner?

Peter Korsgaard

Hi,

 Sveinung> While looking arrond in linux-next today I found this
 Sveinung> commit[1] to staging. It adds support for the AR6003
 Sveinung> chip. The Freerunner uses an chip in the AR600x-series. (An
 Sveinung> older revision than v3 I think). The commit also talk about
 Sveinung> replacing it with a new driver based on mac80211,
 Sveinung> ath6k. According to [2], the driver is supposed to be for the
 Sveinung> AR600x family of chips while currently only v3 is
 Sveinung> supported. [2] also contains (unfree) firmware for v3. Does
 Sveinung> anyone have an idea about how useful all this is for the chip
 Sveinung> in the Freerunner? (For example: How different is the AR6003
 Sveinung> from the one in the Freerunner?)

My understanding after asking Vipin about it is that the ath6k1 driver
simply is a newer version of the same code base the openmoko driver is
based from.

So it does seem interesting for openmoko / other platforms using
AR6001/6002.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard