How to reset the screen through command?

How to reset the screen through command?

dukelec
I tried many distributions of openmoko(current is FSR on FreeRunner), the same problem is : There was nothing display but white when resume from black screen sometimes.

I consider to write a shell, and bind it to aux button... but I need the command which can reset & init screen(How To?)...

It's better for me if you guys to put the actions to kernel...

Re: How to reset the screen through command?

Patryk Benderz
Dnia 2011-02-06, nie o godzinie 09:44 -0800, dukelec pisze:
> I tried many distributions of openmoko(current is FSR on FreeRunner), the
Which kernel do you use, and which distro? I never heard of FSR... maybe
you use SHR?

> same problem is : There was nothing display but white when resume from black
> screen sometimes.
Seems like you syffer WSOD (white screen of death). AFAIK this bug is
fixed in recent kernels.
[cut]
--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521

Re: How to reset the screen through command?

dukelec
Yes, problem is WSOD (white screen of death). Sorry for my poor english.
But the problem still here using the last kernel.

The version of my OS are (got from http://build.shr-project.org/shr-unstable/images/om-gta02/) :
uImage-2.6.34-r7-oe16-om-gta02.bin 17-Jan-2011 17:26
full-om-gta02.jffs2 04-Feb-2011 12:46
qi-s3c2442-1.0.2-r5+gitr0+c38b062a609f1442e6a9e13005cfbdfd59a5ac0d.udfu 27-Nov-2010 08:25

And the strange WSOD video here:
http://dukelec.googlecode.com/files/WSOD.mpg

Dnia 2011-02-07, pon o godzinie 23:36 -0800, dukelec pisze:
> Yes, problem is WSOD (white screen of death). Sorry for my poor english.
no problem.

> But the problem still here using the last kernel.
>
> The version of my OS are (got from
> http://build.shr-project.org/shr-unstable/images/om-gta02/) :
> uImage-2.6.34-r7-oe16-om-gta02.bin 17-Jan-2011 17:26
> full-om-gta02.jffs2 04-Feb-2011 12:46
> qi-s3c2442-1.0.2-r5+gitr0+c38b062a609f1442e6a9e13005cfbdfd59a5ac0d.udfu
> 27-Nov-2010 08:25
Since you use fairly new kernel, I do not know how to help you. Maybe
someone else here, or try to subscribe to:
[hidden email]
Those guys will be more familiar with SHR distro and their kernel.
--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521

Re: How to reset the screen through command?

dukelec
I'm not care which distribution, you can recommend the kernel & distribution which you are familiar with, thanks...

And, I hope you can download the video, the WSOD relieved at the end, with a disorder display. (many times the WSOD never relieve)

Re: How to reset the screen through command?

dukelec
I have tried QtMoko and Android one month ago, but got the same problem, I thought they are using the same kernel...

Or maybe my hardware is more unsteadily than yours.

The way I using this phone is Forbid Auto Dimming & Suspend.

Dnia 2011-02-08, wto o godzinie 00:10 -0800, dukelec pisze:
> I'm not care which distribution, you can recommend the kernel & distribution
> which you are familiar with, thanks...
I prefer Qtmoko, because it is Debian based, has most of features I use
and looks pretty :) AFAIR I have hit WSOD only twice with QtMoko. But
remember that WSOD is triggered by race condition, thus it may be
dependant on hardware. You may suffer it more then I do.

> And, I hope you can download the video, the WSOD relieved at the end, with a
> disorder display. (many times the WSOD never relieve)
Yes, I saw this video, but it looked different than mine. It seemed that
your white screen disappeared after several seconds, and you were waking
up your device. On contrary, my device stayed with WSOD (didn't suspend)
until I have removed battery.
        You may be interested in distribution list. I hope it is actual, but if
you find some new distro you can add it to the list:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Distributions

--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521

Re: How to reset the screen through command?

Petr Vanek
On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 10:55:06 +0100
Patryk Benderz <[hidden email]> (PB) wrote:

>Dnia 2011-02-06, nie o godzinie 09:44 -0800, dukelec pisze:
>> I tried many distributions of openmoko(current is FSR on
>> FreeRunner), the
>Which kernel do you use, and which distro? I never heard of FSR...
>maybe you use SHR?
>
>> same problem is : There was nothing display but white when resume
>> from black screen sometimes.
>Seems like you syffer WSOD (white screen of death). AFAIK this bug is
>fixed in recent kernels.

yes, this is how it used to be, but SHR unstable has had it back for at
least two months by now, so perhaps this is what dukelec was using?

Petr

Re: How to reset the screen through command?

dukelec
I'm using the last unstable SHR download the day before yesterday!
But the problem still here, I think you fixed another WSOD problem different with me.

When my WSOD occurred, I still can login ssh with usb network, and can play music by mplayer.
I thought the causes of my WSOD is:
    One data-driven errors on LCD interface, and following data misunderstand.
and the way to fix it: (do this after waking black screen up)
    Pull-down the RST# pin of LCD interface, and send initialization datas again as power on do.

I have not learned to linux driver programming, so can't do it my self, hope it fixed next kernel by yours. Thanks.

Re: How to reset the screen through command?

Michael Zanetti-2
On Sunday, February 06, 2011 09:44:48 dukelec wrote:
> I tried many distributions of openmoko(current is FSR on FreeRunner), the
> same problem is : There was nothing display but white when resume from black
> screen sometimes.
>
> I consider to write a shell, and bind it to aux button... but I need the
> command which can reset & init screen(How To?)...
>
> It's better for me if you guys to put the actions to kernel...

try this script:

#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=:0
echo "qvga-normal" > /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state
echo "normal" > /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state
xrandr -s 480x640

To run it automatically on every wakeup put the script to
/etc/apm/resume.d/01display

Don't forget to make it executable!

Cheers,
Michael

Re: How to reset the screen through command?

dukelec
duke@dukelec:~$ ssh root@192.168.0.202
root@om-gta02 ~ # export DISPLAY=:0
root@om-gta02 ~ # echo "qvga-normal" > /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state
-sh: can't create /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state: nonexistent directory
root@om-gta02 ~ # echo "normal" > /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state
-sh: can't create /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state: nonexistent directory
root@om-gta02 ~ # xrandr -s 480*640
Size index 480 is too large, there are only 3 sizes
root@om-gta02 ~ #

I need more help. close to success ...

Re: How to reset the screen through command?

Al Johnson
On Thursday 10 February 2011, dukelec wrote:

> duke@dukelec:~$ ssh root@192.168.0.202
> root@om-gta02 ~ # export DISPLAY=:0
> root@om-gta02 ~ # echo "qvga-normal" > /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state
> -sh: can't create /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state: nonexistent directory
> root@om-gta02 ~ # echo "normal" > /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state
> -sh: can't create /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state: nonexistent directory
> root@om-gta02 ~ # xrandr -s 480*640
> Size index 480 is too large, there are only 3 sizes
> root@om-gta02 ~ #
>
> I need more help. close to success ...

Correct your typo in the xrandr line. You have * in place of x.

Re: How to reset the screen through command?

Joachim Ott-2
On 10 February 2011 08:42, dukelec <[hidden email]> wrote:

> duke@dukelec:~$ ssh root@192.168.0.202
> root@om-gta02 ~ # export DISPLAY=:0
> root@om-gta02 ~ # echo "qvga-normal" > /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state
> -sh: can't create /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state: nonexistent directory
> root@om-gta02 ~ # echo "normal" > /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state
> -sh: can't create /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state: nonexistent directory
> root@om-gta02 ~ # xrandr -s 480*640
> Size index 480 is too large, there are only 3 sizes
> root@om-gta02 ~ #
>
> I need more help. close to success ...

Have you tried  "xrandr -s 480x640"?

I have tried 'x' instead, nothing happen & keep WSOD.
I also use "/sys/devices/platform/glamo3362.0/glamo-fb.0/graphics/fb0/state" instead, no use.

Re: How to reset the screen through command?

dukelec
I also want to set LCD frequency from 73Hz to 60Hz, reduce EMI, maybe useful. (How to do this?)

I got this error:

root@om-gta02 /sys # xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 240 x 320, current 480 x 640, maximum 480 x 640
LCD connected 480x640+0+0 (normal left inverted right) 43mm x 58mm
   480x640        72.5*+
   640x480        72.8     59.9
   240x320        50.2
root@om-gta02 /sys # xrandr -s 640x480
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  149 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (RRSetScreenConfig)
  Value in failed request:  0x280
  Serial number of failed request:  14
  Current serial number in output stream:  14
root@om-gta02 /sys # xrandr -r 60
Rate 60.0 Hz not available for this size

Re: How to reset the screen through command?

Petr Vanek
>I have tried 'x' instead, nothing happen & keep WSOD.
>I also use
>"/sys/devices/platform/glamo3362.0/glamo-fb.0/graphics/fb0/state"
>instead, no use. --

There was an email in the kernel list with a subject WSOD fix. in
December.

it contained link to this patch
http://git.openmoko.org/?p=kernel.git;a=commitdiff;h=43f0161295bc311d09d705db7b381653fbbb9e46

and the two scripts as per below.

i also suffer the recent WS issue and i haven't had too much to play
with this though, but perhaps it can help?

#!/bin/sh
# display_on.sh
echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank
echo 0 > /sys/class/lcd/jbt6k74-lcd/lcd_power
echo 63 > /sys/class/backlight/pcf50633-backlight/brightness

#!/bin/sh
# display_off.sh
echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/pcf50633-backlight/brightness
echo 4 > /sys/class/lcd/jbt6k74-lcd/lcd_power
echo 4 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank

Petr

Re: How to reset the screen through command?

dukelec
No use..
I got a call just now, while WSOD, Guess the location of Accept Button.
After call, run 「display_on.sh -> display_off.sh -> display_on.sh 」,and still WSOD...