Quantcast

Kexec - Not working - Please help

HackCandy
Hello All,

I have compiled kexec <kexec-tools-2.0.0> using
the following commands:

./configure --host=arm-angstrom-linux
. /usr/local/openmoko/arm/setup-env
make

And, got the following error:
asm/page.h no such file or directory.

So, I removed the header file and added
<unistd.h> instead of <asm/page.h> & then compiled
and got the kexec binary.

In GTA02 ssh, I tried the following:
root@om-gta02:/# ./kexec -l zImage
Unsupported machine type: armv4tl

What may be the problem? Please help.

Is there any pre-built images for kexec?

Thank you,
- HHC

Re: Kexec - Not working - Please help

Werner Almesberger
HackCandy wrote:
> Is there any pre-built images for kexec?

Like this ?

http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/testing/armv4t/kexec-tools_1.101-r5_armv4t.opk

I gave it a quick try a few days ago and it seems to work. (The
kernel panicked because I didn't give it the right command line,
though. You'll have to pay attention to that little detail.)

Re: Kexec - Not working - Please help

HackCandy
Hi Werner,

Thank you. Yes, that is what I need
I will try with command line. :)

- HHC

Werner Almesberger wrote
HackCandy wrote:
> Is there any pre-built images for kexec?

Like this ?

http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/testing/armv4t/kexec-tools_1.101-r5_armv4t.opk

I gave it a quick try a few days ago and it seems to work. (The
kernel panicked because I didn't give it the right command line,
though. You'll have to pay attention to that little detail.)

Re: Kexec - Not working - Please help

HackCandy
Hi Werner,

I was able to load and run a Kernel using kexec by doing
the following:

a) Booted using Om 2008.12
b) Placed a zImage in / directory.
c) kexec -l zImage
d) kexec -e

Kernel panic saying no root file system.

So, I tried the following:

kexec -l zImage -append="root=/dev/mmcblk0p1" <==== Hangs here
kexec -e

/dev/mmcblk0p1 -> contains 2008.9 rfs

Is it the right way to do?

Please clarify.
- HHC

HackCandy wrote

HackCandy wrote:
> Is there any pre-built images for kexec?

Like this ?

http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/testing/armv4t/kexec-tools_1.101-r5_armv4t.opk

I gave it a quick try a few days ago and it seems to work. (The
kernel panicked because I didn't give it the right command line,
though. You'll have to pay attention to that little detail.)

Re: Kexec - Not working - Please help

andy green-3

HackCandy wrote:
> kexec -l zImage -append="root=/dev/mmcblk0p1" <==== Hangs here

It hangs ? That's odd.

This works for me:

kexec -l --command-line="`cat /proc/cmdline`" zImage
kexec -e

---------------------
kexec -l --command-line="`cat /proc/cmdline`" zImage
kexec -e
---------------------
The above commands work fine. That is, booting a different kernel
& the same Root File System (from where you execute kexec) works well.

But when I try to use the RFS from SD card and executing the
kexec command (I m running kexec from RFS present in NAND flash)
using the following: Kernel panics saying

Unable to mount rootfs on unknown block(179,1)

---------------------
root@om-gta02:~# kexec -l --command-line="rootfstype=ext3 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 c
onsole=ttySAC2,115200 console=tty0 loglevel=4 regular_boot mtdparts=physmap-flas
h:-(nor);neo1973-nand:0x00040000(u-boot),0x00040000(u-boot_env),0x00800000(kerne
l),0x000a0000(splash),0x00040000(factory),0x0f6a0000(rootfs)" zImage
root@om-gta02:~# kexec -e  ==== Kernel Panics
---------------------

Please help.

-HHC.

Werner Almesberger wrote
HackCandy wrote:
> kexec -l zImage -append="root=/dev/mmcblk0p1" <==== Hangs here

It hangs ? That's odd.

This works for me:

kexec -l --command-line="`cat /proc/cmdline`" zImage
kexec -e

Re: Kexec - Not working - Please help

HackCandy
Hi Andy,

Its not jffs2 partition. Its ext3 only.
First, I tried --command-line="rootfstype=jffs2 ...
and posted. Then I realized that its ext3 and
deleted the post without seeing your response.
Sorry for that.

I tried ext3 also. It didn't work.

-HHC.

Andy Green wrote

Re: Kexec - Not working - Please help

andy green-3

Re: Kexec - Not working - Please help

Radek Polak

> If you have loglevel=8 and console=tty0, you should get a dmesg type
> spew on the LCM... what is that showing?

I also try appending: rootdelay=1
For me this is needed to boot from SD card.

Re: Kexec - Not working - Please help

HackCandy
Hi Radek / Andy,

I tried with rootdelay=1 and did not succeed

kexec -l --command-line="rootfstype=ext3 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 console=ttySAC2,115200 console=tty0 loglevel=4 rootdelay=1 regular_boot mtdparts=physmap-flash:-(nor);neo1973-nand:0x00040000(u-boot),0x00040000(u-boot_env),0x00800000(kernel),0x000a0000(splash),0x00040000(factory),0x0f6a0000(rootfs)" zImage

The following are the outputs on the LCM:

With 2GB SD card: rootdelay=1

lis302dl lis302dl.1: device BOOT reload failed
lis302dl lis302dl.2: device BOOT reload failed
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs
on unknown-block(179,1)

With 256MB SD card: rootdelay=1

lis302dl lis302dl.1: device BOOT reload failed
lis302dl lis302dl.2: device BOOT reload failed

- HHC.

Radek Polak wrote
> If you have loglevel=8 and console=tty0, you should get a dmesg type
> spew on the LCM... what is that showing?

I also try appending: rootdelay=1
For me this is needed to boot from SD card.

Re: Kexec - Not working - Please help

Radek Polak

> Hi Radek / Andy,
>
> I tried with rootdelay=1 and did not succeed :confused:
>
> The following are the outputs on the LCM:
>
> With 2GB SD card: rootdelay=1
>
> lis302dl lis302dl.1: device BOOT reload failed
> lis302dl lis302dl.2: device BOOT reload failed
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs
> on unknown-block(179,1)
>
> With 256MB SD card: rootdelay=1
>
> lis302dl lis302dl.1: device BOOT reload failed
> lis302dl lis302dl.2: device BOOT reload failed
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>
> - HHC.

Maybe stupid question... can you boot the system on SD card
with normal bootloader (qi, u-boot)?

Radek

Re: Kexec - Not working - Please help

andy green-3

Re: Kexec - Not working - Please help

HackCandy
Hi Werner/Andy/Radek,

It worked. Thank you all for helping me.

Radek - Not a stupid question though. I did
the stupidity of messing up ext2/ext3
along with u-boot/Qi. Once I did everyting
from the scratch, it worked.

Also, I tried without rootdelay= it didn't work.
So its needed for RFS from SD.

-HHC

Andy Green wrote