LED blinking during suspend

c_c

LED blinking during suspend

c_c
Hi,
  Is it possible to blink the FR's LED's (red/orange/blue - any / either) while the phone is in suspend?
 I'm looking at this as a method to indicate to the user that some notification needs his attn (missed call/sms/task etc) while the phone is suspended.
  Can the vibrator / audio system be used while in suspend?
  Thanks.

Re: LED blinking during suspend

Lars-Peter Clausen

Re: LED blinking during suspend

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer-2
> Leds can either be on or off during suspend. Blinking is not possible.
> Same with vibrator.
>
> You can let the audio chip on during suspend. But since you won't be
> able to send any audio data from the cpu it's not that useful, except
> if you want to suspend the main cpu while having a phone conversation.

Speaking about that, have there been any improvement towards
no-idle-ticks and/or clock-changing for s3c24x0 in 2.6.31?

For some applications it'd be still very appealing to keep the CPU on, but with the least possible
clock frequency.

:M:

c_c

Re: LED blinking during suspend

c_c
Hi,
   OK. Lets say there are pending notifications that the user needs to see. If I set the LED light on, and suspend the phone - does it stay on automatically - or do I need more magic?
  What about the current consumption? How badly would this affect battery life? I'm looking at getting just enough information to decide whether this is an idea worth pursuing or not.

Thanks.

Re: LED blinking during suspend

Werner Almesberger
c_c wrote:
> If I set the LED light on, and suspend the phone - does it stay on
> automatically - or do I need more magic?

As far as the hardware is concerned, it will stay on.
I'm too lazy to check if the kernel will turn it off for you in
suspend :)

>   What about the current consumption?

About 5 mA per LED. About 50 mA per LED if the LED has the base
resistor problem. Normal suspend current with GSM on should be
somewhere around 8 mA, maybe a bit less. So the LED would take a
considerable bite out of that,

From a usability point of view, I'm quite sceptical about this
idea of using a LED as a permanent indicator. LEDs are very
limited in the amount of information they can signal to a human
being, and if you have a lot of different states to signal, the
patterns may not be very intuitive.

I think it would be interesting to try to find a way for resuming
the display really quickly, so that one could just bring up the
screen, check the status indicators for any news, and then send
the device back to sleep.

c_c

Re: LED blinking during suspend

c_c
Hi,
Lars-Peter Clausen wrote
You need a modified kernel, but it's a one liner. Add
.retain_state_suspended = 1,

to the led struct in arch/arm/mach-gta02.c
  Hmm - but not something that can be implemented for everyone unless its in the standard kernel in shr.
Lars-Peter Clausen wrote
And only if it's on you'll turn the device on to see what
actually happened.
  That's what I thought too - but with the LED's not particularly visible (being placed on the sides) - unless they're blinking (which doesn't seem possible) and the current consumption being so high - I'm not so sure.
   Some experimenting will help I guess.
 Thanks.

Re: LED blinking during suspend

Timo Juhani Lindfors
Lars-Peter Clausen <[hidden email]> writes:
> Leds can either be on or off during suspend. Blinking is not possible.

Really? Here with andy-tracking LEDs always turn off when I suspend.

Michael Trimarchi <[hidden email]> writes:
> - frequency scaling

And GSM works with frequency scaling now? Sounds very useful
indeed. Are these patches available separately and do they apply to
andy-tracking?

-Timo

Am Donnerstag, den 17.12.2009, 23:06 +0100 schrieb Michael Trimarchi:
> the android-kernel now has a lot of feature:
>
> - frequency scaling
> - FCSE from arm mailing list
>
> The result is an incredible performance on Android

Congrats... anything in for us GNU/Linux weenies as well?

Cheers,

--
:M:

Re: LED blinking during suspend

Mark Brown-3
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:55:53PM +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 17.12.2009, 23:06 +0100 schrieb Michael Trimarchi:
> > the android-kernel now has a lot of feature:

> > - frequency scaling
> > - FCSE from arm mailing list

> > The result is an incredible performance on Android

> Congrats... anything in for us GNU/Linux weenies as well?

The S3C24xx CPU frequency scaling support is in mainline now.