Login screen on firmware upgradation

Rijul Jain
Hey,

i recently got a neo free runner and wanted to upgrade the firmware to openmoko 11 so i downloaded the image , wrote it on my uSD card and tried to boot it from the phone . It boots up file but after 2 mins , a Green Coloured Angstrom screen came and it is stuck at om-gta02 login :_

its been stuck there for hours and i dont know what to do

Anyhelp would be appreciated . Thanks

--
Rijul Jain

Re: Login screen on firmware upgradation

Nostromo
You know, folks, I think it's time to admit that the Openmoko project was a failure, and move on.

It was a great idea and a lot of us supported it with our money as well as our time, but the device as eventually sold was poorly designed and badly implemented. Even the people who bought it after several rounds of hardware bug-fixes got a clunky device with pathetic battery-life. Since the hardware is crap, it's not surprising that software developers didn't exactly flock to it. Trying to make it usable is flogging a dead horse.

The nearest thing we will get to an "open" cellphone will probably be something made by Samsung, Motorola, or one of the other big consumer-device companies, running Android.

I don't want to offend people, but I think it's time somebody came out and said this. If you want to put your time and effort into Free Software, then pick a platform that has a future. Your time and effort are valuable even if you don't get paid for them; don't waste them.

Nick

Re: Login screen on firmware upgradation

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Hi Nick,
it must be said that your rant does not help at all to answer
the original support question.

Hi Rijul,
please check that your downloaded image is not corrupted.

You can download and compare it with our copy which we
have used successfully an uncounted number of times:

You must also flash the image on the flat memory card
(e.g. /dev/sdb) and not into a partition (and not /dev/sdb1 or /dev/sdb2).

To boot from NOR flash, press the AUX button and
then power on. The boot menu should appear within
a second. Choose "boot from SD (ext)".

Hope this helps,
Nikolaus

Am 19.03.2011 um 07:53 schrieb [hidden email]:

[...]

Sorry if I offended you, Dr Schaller.
However, I respectfully suggest that you look up the word "rant" in a dictionary before using it. I found your message offensive.

Nick

Re: Login screen on firmware upgradation

arne anka
well, there's probably a lot of people finding _your_ message both
unneccessary and offensive!

- you hijackd a thread completely unrelated to vent your individual
frustration insdtead of respecting the request of the op
- you tried to force your personal opinion about the state of om on
everybody, completely ignoring that the people still active an the list
very likely think otherwise
- you claim to be the one who after a long time of joint self-deception
finally speaks the truth -- which is both materially and factually
nonsense. the discussion about om being a failure or not is recurrent and
monitoring silently the list for month now after a rather lively interest
before, i think i safely can say, that those people still active
completely disagree with you (certainly the op, which you regarded with
such contempt, does)

if whath you posted is your honest opnion, you are free to move on and
leave.

if you think you have new points to make about om's state and future, you
are free to open your own thread -- but, please, check the archives before

> Sorry if I offended you, Dr Schaller.
> However, I respectfully suggest that you look up the word "rant" in a
> dictionary
> before using it. I found your message offensive.
>
> Nick

Openmoko (was Re: Login screen on firmware upgradation)

Nostromo
No contempt for anyone was either expressed or implied.

However, I do see that it was a mistake to reply to a post, instead of opening a
new thread.

> well, there's probably a lot of people finding _your_ message both unneccessary
>and offensive!
>
> - you hijackd a thread completely unrelated to vent your  individual
>frustration insdtead of respecting the request of the op
> - you  tried to force your personal opinion about the state of om on everybody,
>completely ignoring that the people still active an the list very likely think
>otherwise
> - you claim to be the one who after a long time of joint  self-deception
>finally speaks the truth -- which is both materially and  factually nonsense.
>the discussion about om being a failure or not is recurrent  and monitoring
>silently the list for month now after a rather lively interest  before, i think
>i safely can say, that those people still active completely  disagree with you
>(certainly the op, which you regarded with such contempt,  does)
>
> if whath you posted is your honest opnion, you are free to move on  and leave.
>
> if you think you have new points to make about om's state and  future, you are
>free to open your own thread -- but, please, check the archives  before ...
>

> > Sorry if I offended you, Dr Schaller.
> >  However, I respectfully suggest that you look up the word "rant" in a
>dictionary
> > before using it. I found your message offensive.
> >
> > Nick

Re: Openmoko (was Re: Login screen on firmware upgradation)

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer-2
Failure? Not at all. Openmoko, the project, helped to spin a lot of
important movements throughout the industry, and, even more important,
Openmoko Inc., the company, brought the first truly hackable mobile
phone hardware into the hands of 'everyone'. That's a major achievement
and I even go so far to say it's undisputable.

Yes, the hardware was not perfect, and yes, due to a bunch of management
failures combined with the economic crisis a couple of years ago, there
is no more mobile phone hardware coming from Openmoko Inc. To say that
Openmoko, the project, has no future is far from the truth and we can
see that every day watching the action happening on free hard- and
software projects all around the globe, such as GTA04, FSO, SHR, QtMoko.

Yes, much of the action has moved from the Openmoko devices to newer
devices, such as the HTC phones, Palm Pre, Nokia N900, etc., but again,
hardware ages, that's a given, and by no means a fault of Openmoko Inc.,
the company.

Cheers,

--
:M:

Re: Login screen on firmware upgradation

Dima Sorkin
Hi.
  Just a minor HTH note from me - a new (and seems that happy) user of
GTA02:

Power up -- even if the battery is on 0%, I keep the precise order:
first press and hold AUX, then without releasing AUX connect USB cable,
and power on. It appeared somewhere on Wiki.

Dima.