Quantcast

New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

12

New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

AstHrO FR-59
Hi,

As you might have read, Always Innovating (A.I.), is opened to think about a collaboration between them and us (Openmoko community)  to build a phone based on their MiniBook.

This device is a MID, without phone capabilities (except VoIP). So the idea is to build something together on that basis.
I don't want AT ALL to shortcut GTA04 project, which is vital for everyone, so the main idea would be to improve a bit the MiniBook, generating a "lite" version of the GTA04. By "lite", I suggest not to overload the bill & motherboard with extra features that GTA04 will bring.

More, The MiniBook have to stay an A.I. product, this mean, it must be linkable to the others as it does today.

For information, MiniBook has already impressive specs :
  • TI cortex-A8 with 3D and video acceleration
  • 512MB (RAM) + 256MB (NAND) Memory
  • Main storage: 8GB microSD card
  • 480x320 3.5" capacitive touchscreen
  • 30fps VGA front webcam
  • Wifi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth class 2.1
  • Video output HDMI HD
  • Two high-quality stereo speakers
  • Internal microphone
  • Headphone jack
  • 3-dimensional accelerometer
  • One 1500 mAh battery
  • Bi-color silver/black case
  • 64mm x 106mm x 9.3mm
  • Secured attachment of the MID into a Touch Book Table
There's nothing much to improve, nothing to remove, just adding GSM/3G chip. Nikolaus Schaller pointed the OPTION GTM501, which is a brilliant little chip ! And if we use the same one, the porting of distros/software will be easier from one machine to another.

So, the first question is : What to add for this project being interresting ? Those will be minimal functions (forget Wimax, 4G,  coffe machines or color printer ...).

Second question : Debian is able to run on such a device, but does developpers of other distributions can tell if it would be possible to port their on it ?

Third question : On the basis we have a 'paper' version of the phone, is there anyone able to give a hand to AI for the integration of new components on the board or do we let AI do the major part of the job ? (this way, we only would be 'consultants' for them).

Thanks for your interest.

Thomas.

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

AstHrO FR-59
On 06/10/2010 14:41, Thomas HOCEDEZ wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention that it would be AWESOME to have some words in this idea from Sean M.P. !

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Esben Stien
Thomas HOCEDEZ <[hidden email]> writes:

> their MiniBook.

I would buy it, if it was wrist mountable; sort of a slide in mount on
my wrist.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Pike-2-3
Hi

>> their MiniBook.
> I would buy it, if it was wrist mountable; sort of a slide in mount on
> my wrist.

I would buy it. Full stop :-)

I cant find any demo videoos on the minibook ?

*-pike

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Edder
On 6 October 2010 13:41, Thomas HOCEDEZ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you might have read, Always Innovating (A.I.), is opened to think about a
> collaboration between them and us (Openmoko community)  to build a phone
> based on their MiniBook.

Sounds like a great idea

> TI cortex-A8 with 3D and video acceleration
> 512MB (RAM) + 256MB (NAND) Memory
> Main storage: 8GB microSD card
> 480x320 3.5" capacitive touchscreen
> 30fps VGA front webcam
> Wifi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth class 2.1
> Video output HDMI HD
> Two high-quality stereo speakers
> Internal microphone
> Headphone jack

Will it support headphone, with a microphone?

> 3-dimensional accelerometer
> One 1500 mAh battery
> Bi-color silver/black case
> 64mm x 106mm x 9.3mm
> Secured attachment of the MID into a Touch Book Table
>
> There's nothing much to improve, nothing to remove, just adding GSM/3G chip.
> Nikolaus Schaller pointed the OPTION GTM501, which is a brilliant little
> chip ! And if we use the same one, the porting of distros/software will be
> easier from one machine to another.
>
> So, the first question is : What to add for this project being interresting
> ? Those will be minimal functions (forget Wimax, 4G,  coffe machines or
> color printer ...).

I wouldn't consider getting one unless it also has a GPS chip.

Cheers,
Edwin

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Marc Verwerft
+1 for a GPS chip also

And availability in Europe (or more general: outside US)?

Regards,

Marc

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Edder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 6 October 2010 13:41, Thomas HOCEDEZ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you might have read, Always Innovating (A.I.), is opened to think about a
> collaboration between them and us (Openmoko community)  to build a phone
> based on their MiniBook.

Sounds like a great idea

> TI cortex-A8 with 3D and video acceleration
> 512MB (RAM) + 256MB (NAND) Memory
> Main storage: 8GB microSD card
> 480x320 3.5" capacitive touchscreen
> 30fps VGA front webcam
> Wifi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth class 2.1
> Video output HDMI HD
> Two high-quality stereo speakers
> Internal microphone
> Headphone jack

Will it support headphone, with a microphone?

> 3-dimensional accelerometer
> One 1500 mAh battery
> Bi-color silver/black case
> 64mm x 106mm x 9.3mm
> Secured attachment of the MID into a Touch Book Table
>
> There's nothing much to improve, nothing to remove, just adding GSM/3G chip.
> Nikolaus Schaller pointed the OPTION GTM501, which is a brilliant little
> chip ! And if we use the same one, the porting of distros/software will be
> easier from one machine to another.
>
> So, the first question is : What to add for this project being interresting
> ? Those will be minimal functions (forget Wimax, 4G,  coffe machines or
> color printer ...).

I wouldn't consider getting one unless it also has a GPS chip.

Cheers,
Edwin

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Timo Juhani Lindfors
Thomas HOCEDEZ <[hidden email]> writes:
> There's nothing much to improve, nothing to remove, just adding GSM/3G
> chip. Nikolaus Schaller pointed the OPTION GTM501, which is a
> brilliant little chip ! And if we use the same one, the porting of
> distros/software will be easier from one machine to another.

I read http://www.option.com/en/products/products/modules/gtm501/specifications/#start
that promises "Fully documented APIs".

Do you have access to these documents?

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

giacomo 'giotti' mariani

>     * TI <http://www.ti.com> cortex-A8 with 3D and video acceleration
>     * 512MB (RAM) + 256MB (NAND) Memory
>     * Main storage: 8GB microSD card
>     * 480x320 3.5" capacitive touchscreen
>     * 30fps VGA front webcam
>     * Wifi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth class 2.1
>     * Video output HDMI HD
>     * Two high-quality stereo speakers
>     * Internal microphone
>     * Headphone jack
>     * 3-dimensional accelerometer
>     * One 1500 mAh battery
>     * Bi-color silver/black case
>     * 64mm x 106mm x 9.3mm
>     * Secured attachment of the MID into a Touch Book Table

Looks like it miss USB connectivity and I need SSH strongly!

Cheers

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau
On 10/6/10, Thomas HOCEDEZ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So, the first question is : What to add for this project being
> interresting ? Those will be minimal functions (forget Wimax, 4G,  coffe
> machines or color printer ...).
As for me I just want Voice Calls/SMS and thats all.

Even gprs/3G not important, because I can attach separate dongle
inside smartbook itself.

Similar about GPS. Quality of FR's GPS was much worse than in separate
devices, GPS inside MID might be even worse than in FR, implement nice
GPS signal in MID could be very hard task. I'll prefer use separate
GPS dongle.

> Second question : Debian is able to run on such a device, but does
> developpers of other distributions can tell if it would be possible to
> port their on it ?
MID is very similar to n900, we can say that SHR "already" supports
it, similar for all others distros which supports BeagleBoard.
Touchbook now supported by many OS'es. So it is a question which
distros have FSO support.

Andoid also could be a option, especially if AI's "multi-OS" support works nice.

Maksim

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
  Em 06-10-2010 13:41, Thomas HOCEDEZ escreveu:
>    * 480x320 3.5" capacitive touchscreen

A phone is the perfect size to integrate:

  * personal communication (phone, IM, social network)
  * always present camera (still or moving pictures)
  * computational needs (ssh somewhere, do stuff)
  * run useful programs (like email, web browser, games, other apps)

For these to run well in a phone you need at least 480x800. The
Freerunner's 480x640 is definitly too small for most web browsing.

If I go one step further in size, I'm talking about tablets:

 From personal experience with a SmartQ7 (now sadly broken), I attest
the following: 480x800 is *not* enough for displaying a more complex
document properly (eg, a PDF with readable text and pleasently
displayed), you need a bigger screensize.

  So when you consider such small resolutions... it's definitely not for me.

But good luck, though.
Rui

"Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau" <[hidden email]> writes:
> Similar about GPS. Quality of FR's GPS was much worse than in separate

What do you mean by quality? Just TTFF? Together with rtklib you can
get great precision.

On 10/6/10, Timo Juhani Lindfors <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau" <[hidden email]> writes:
>> Similar about GPS. Quality of FR's GPS was much worse than in separate
>
> What do you mean by quality? Just TTFF? Together with rtklib you can
> get great precision.
Sorry, I don't have skills in GPS, I just see that FR have a problem
with getting fix, and expect even more problems with gps(and gsm) in
device, which wasn't designed to have nice wireless compatibility.
Having lower GSM signal level isn't a problem - usually its very nice
in cities. But gps in such conditions(in cities) can just become
useless.

One more note,I'm looking at "MiniMoko" just as *part* of full SmartBook.
I really love this device in complex, its nice when I can have *same
rootfs* in laptop, in phone, in tablet, in mobile tablet device. So,
when people say that MiniMoko have small screen - I don't care, I
would attach it in "SmartTablet" and have big screen. When I'll want
keyboard - I'll attach keyboard and use SmartBook.

This is reason, why (imho) GSM/3G Voice is very important, and GPS is
less important for such device - just because GPS could be attached in
tablet part. GPS is smth that you sometimes want to be "always on" and
this is reason, why I want separate device - to keep battery.

If somebody want use navigation from MiniBook, may be its time for
them look at cell-nav projects once more? (openbmap, opencell and so
on)

Maksim

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

swap38
Le 06/10/2010 14:41, Thomas HOCEDEZ a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> As you might have read, Always Innovating (A.I.), is opened to think
> about a collaboration between them and us (Openmoko community)  to build
> a phone based on their MiniBook.

IMHO, this is probably the best news since a (too) long time !
It's a really GREAT idea !

Let me explain my dream :

A MiniMoko with at least :
- GSM/3G
- mini-USB port (with host mode ?)
- GPS

less important :
- better camera (for shots)
- bluetooth (for headphones + mic)
- higher screen resolution

And finally will need a simple dock for home with :
- HDMI port (-> desktop screen)
- USB ports (-> mouse + keyboard + peripherals)
- hard disk (-> sata ? USB3 ?)

That would be the perfect device !
I'm not enought skilled in hardware nor software development, but I will
buy one !
I'm ready to pre-order now for those features at reasonnable cost ;-)

--
/swap38
http://openmoko-fr.org

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Chuck Norris-3
06.10.2010 19:41, Thomas HOCEDEZ пишет:
[...]

GPS(I highly use it outdoors), 3G, 5-7 mpx camera(It would be nice if you always have camera with you) on back, buttons for increase/decrease volume. Better screen resolution is less important, but I think 800x480 now is standard for such device.

Tof

Le 06/10/2010 17:18, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra a écrit :

>   Em 06-10-2010 13:41, Thomas HOCEDEZ escreveu:
>>    * 480x320 3.5" capacitive touchscreen
>
> A phone is the perfect size to integrate:
>
>   * personal communication (phone, IM, social network)
>   * always present camera (still or moving pictures)
>   * computational needs (ssh somewhere, do stuff)
>   * run useful programs (like email, web browser, games, other apps)
>
> For these to run well in a phone you need at least 480x800. The
> Freerunner's 480x640 is definitly too small for most web browsing.
>
> If I go one step further in size, I'm talking about tablets:
>
>  From personal experience with a SmartQ7 (now sadly broken), I attest
> the following: 480x800 is *not* enough for displaying a more complex
> document properly (eg, a PDF with readable text and pleasently
> displayed), you need a bigger screensize.
>
>   So when you consider such small resolutions... it's definitely not for me.

I'll have to agree with you.

On 06/10/2010 17:17, Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau wrote:

> On 10/6/10, Thomas HOCEDEZ<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> So, the first question is : What to add for this project being
>> interresting ? Those will be minimal functions (forget Wimax, 4G,  coffe
>> machines or color printer ...).
>>
> As for me I just want Voice Calls/SMS and thats all.
>
> Even gprs/3G not important, because I can attach separate dongle
> inside smartbook itself.
>
> Similar about GPS. Quality of FR's GPS was much worse than in separate
> devices, GPS inside MID might be even worse than in FR, implement nice
> GPS signal in MID could be very hard task. I'll prefer use separate
> GPS dongle.

--> So you wan the ability to plug some dongles on it ...?

>> Second question : Debian is able to run on such a device, but does
>> developpers of other distributions can tell if it would be possible to
>> port their on it ?
>>
> MID is very similar to n900, we can say that SHR "already" supports
> it, similar for all others distros which supports BeagleBoard.
> Touchbook now supported by many OS'es. So it is a question which
> distros have FSO support.
>
> Andoid also could be a option, especially if AI's "multi-OS" support works nice.

--> And an OS that is commercialy vendor is mandatory for the merketing
plan.

On 10/7/10, Thomas HOCEDEZ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Similar about GPS. Quality of FR's GPS was much worse than in separate
>> devices, GPS inside MID might be even worse than in FR, implement nice
>> GPS signal in MID could be very hard task. I'll prefer use separate
>> GPS dongle.
>>
> So you wan the ability to plug some dongles on it ...?

I might be was misunderstood, I see on MiniBook as *part of*
Smartbook, and Smartbook already have a lot of space inside[1] where I
can I attach usb dongles, I don't want attach anything in MiniBook.
MiniBook for me, just should be able make calls. All other staff can
be attached to Smartbook tablet part.

[1] http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/Smart_Book_top_part

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Al Johnson
On Wednesday 06 October 2010, Thomas HOCEDEZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As you might have read, Always Innovating (A.I.), is opened to think
> about a collaboration between them and us (Openmoko community)  to build
> a phone based on their MiniBook.
>
> This device is a MID, without phone capabilities (except VoIP). So the
> idea is to build something together on that basis.
> I don't want AT ALL to shortcut GTA04 project, which is vital for
> everyone, so the main idea would be to improve a bit the MiniBook,
> generating a "lite" version of the GTA04. By "lite", I suggest not to
> overload the bill & motherboard with extra features that GTA04 will bring.
>
> More, The MiniBook have to stay an A.I. product, this mean, it must be
> linkable to the others as it does today.
>
> For information, MiniBook has already impressive specs :
>
>     * TI <http://www.ti.com> cortex-A8 with 3D and video acceleration
>     * 512MB (RAM) + 256MB (NAND) Memory
>     * Main storage: 8GB microSD card
>     * 480x320 3.5" capacitive touchscreen
>     * 30fps VGA front webcam
>     * Wifi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth class 2.1
>     * Video output HDMI HD
>     * Two high-quality stereo speakers
>     * Internal microphone
>     * Headphone jack
>     * 3-dimensional accelerometer
>     * One 1500 mAh battery
>     * Bi-color silver/black case
>     * 64mm x 106mm x 9.3mm
>     * Secured attachment of the MID into a Touch Book Table
>
> There's nothing much to improve, nothing to remove, just adding GSM/3G
> chip. Nikolaus Schaller pointed the OPTION GTM501, which is a brilliant
> little chip ! And if we use the same one, the porting of
> distros/software will be easier from one machine to another.
>
> So, the first question is : What to add for this project being
> interresting ? Those will be minimal functions (forget Wimax, 4G,  coffe
> machines or color printer ...).

GPS - I wouldn't buy without it. It's just too useful for navigation.

3 axis magnetometer - from recent experience it is sometimes very useful to
know which way you're facing as well as where you are. 3 axis accel, gyro and
a pressure sensor would be nice but less important.

Daylight readable screen - again from recent experience in a sunny
environment. A transreflective screen, or one from PixelQi, would be better as
they would cut down on the power needed for backlighting in bright
environments. An ambient light sensor would be good to automate the backlight
level.

Better screen resolution - at least 640x480. It really does make the screen
more legible, and significantly broadens the number of apps that can be used
without gui porting.

USB host mode

Standard connectors for USB host/otg/device and charging. These could be in
place of the mini-HDMI and coax power connectors.

Given what's on the 40 pin connector an option might be to have a dockable
module that can go either on the end of the MiniBook or inside the SmartBook.
That would enable everything but the screen changes without changing the
existing MiniBook design, and seems similar to the DualScreen module in design
philosophy.

> Second question : Debian is able to run on such a device, but does
> developpers of other distributions can tell if it would be possible to
> port their on it ?

If debian can run on it there should be no problem porting to other distros.
Similarities to the beagleboard and n900 may mean other distros can already
work with it.

> Third question : On the basis we have a 'paper' version of the phone, is
> there anyone able to give a hand to AI for the integration of new
> components on the board or do we let AI do the major part of the job ?
> (this way, we only would be 'consultants' for them).

That probably depends on what they decide to do. On the hardware side they
should be more than capable of implementing anything suggested above. Pick the
right components and support may already be present either in the mainstream
kernel or other open drivers. See the FR Navigation Board[1] for some
examples, and n900 sensor support in the mainstream kernel for others.

> Thanks for your interest.
>
> Thomas.

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Freerunner_Navigation_Board_v2

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Timo Jyrinki
2010/10/6 Edder <[hidden email]>:
> Will it support headphone, with a microphone?

I think it's safe nowadays to just assume Bluetooth headphones, ie.
not all devices need the extra plugs if something has to be
sacrificed.

2010/10/6 giacomo 'giotti' mariani <[hidden email]>:
> Looks like it miss USB connectivity and I need SSH strongly!

Well SSH over Bluetooth personal area network works just fine, but
indeed I'd also like USB port for charging and connecting other
devices (host mode)

2010/10/6 Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau <[hidden email]>:
> Sorry, I don't have skills in GPS, I just see that FR have a problem
> with getting fix

It doesn't have a problem getting fix hardware-wise, probably just the
software you use is not similar in features to eg. separately sold
navigators. Which means that you have it always getting a fix starting
without any data, where it takes similar time (or less) to most
separate GPS devices. Basically the GPS hw on FreeRunner is quite
good.

I don't know what's the status of saving the GPS data and re-uploading
those when turned on. Is it implemented in some version of FSO/gpsd or
other software.

-Timo

12