New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

12

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Alfa21-mobile
2010-10-09@10:52 Timo Jyrinki
> 2010/10/6 giacomo 'giotti' mariani:
> > Looks like it miss USB connectivity and I need SSH strongly!
>
> Well SSH over Bluetooth personal area network works just fine, but
> indeed I'd also like USB port for charging and connecting other
> devices (host mode)

please keep in mind that there is an European directive about that:

http://phandroid.com/2009/06/30/microusb-becomes-european-standard-in-2010/

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/02/european_commission_pushing_microusb_standard_for_mobile_phone_chargers-2/

I intended we _MUST_ include the microusb for any new mobile phone if it has to be sold in EU.

and if we do not strictly "must", it's a clever solution because:
- you do not have to sell also the ad-hoc charger with the new hardware.
- an user can easily find a compatible charging source when not at home (eg. friends, colleagues, any computer, car's usb socket...)

btw microusb is quite thin, so maybe we can put it side by side to the 40pin connector using both sides of the MID's pcb.

--
ALFA21 IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Chuck Norris-3
 09.10.2010 16:56, Alfa21 пишет:

> 2010-10-09@10:52 Timo Jyrinki
>> 2010/10/6 giacomo 'giotti' mariani:
>>> Looks like it miss USB connectivity and I need SSH strongly!
>> Well SSH over Bluetooth personal area network works just fine, but
>> indeed I'd also like USB port for charging and connecting other
>> devices (host mode)
>
> please keep in mind that there is an European directive about that:
>
> http://phandroid.com/2009/06/30/microusb-becomes-european-standard-in-2010/
>
> http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/02/european_commission_pushing_microusb_standard_for_mobile_phone_chargers-2/
>

> I intended we _MUST_ include the microusb for any new mobile phone if it has to be sold in EU.
>
> and if we do not strictly "must", it's a clever solution because:
> - you do not have to sell also the ad-hoc charger with the new hardware.
> - an user can easily find a compatible charging source when not at home (eg. friends, colleagues, any computer, car's usb socket...)
>

> btw microusb is quite thin, so maybe we can put it side by side to the 40pin connector using both sides of the MID's pcb.

Dudes, what you think about normal usb instead microusb? many devices
can be easily plugged into the phone. Not for long usage of course.
flash drives, tv tuners, keyboard, gamepad, etc...

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Al Johnson
On Saturday 09 October 2010, Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> 2010/10/6 Edder <[hidden email]>:
> > Will it support headphone, with a microphone?
>
> I think it's safe nowadays to just assume Bluetooth headphones, ie.
> not all devices need the extra plugs if something has to be
> sacrificed.

The 40 pin connector[1] has pins for headset left, right, mic and detect, so
it should support a headset connecting through this at least. There is also a
minijack socket that appears to be 3.5mm[2], but the spec[3] and pin
disposition suggest this may be audio out only. If so it's an odd choice as
there is a de fatcto standard for 4-pole minijacks for headphone and headset.

> 2010/10/6 giacomo 'giotti' mariani <[hidden email]>:
> > Looks like it miss USB connectivity and I need SSH strongly!
>
> Well SSH over Bluetooth personal area network works just fine, but
> indeed I'd also like USB port for charging and connecting other
> devices (host mode)

USB is also on the 40-pin connector. Judging by the beagleboard, the OTG pins
wil give gadget or OTG support while the other port will give host mode. There
doesn't appear to be a 5V out pin though, so host mode may be unpowered.

Personally I would rather see a pair of usb ports than the micro-HDMI and the
barrel power connector, and make sure the headset connector is 4-pole with mic
support.

[1] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/40-pin_connector
[2] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/MID_board
[3] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/Smart_Book_specs

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
  Em 09-10-2010 15:15, Chuck Norris escreveu:
> Dudes, what you think about normal usb instead microusb? many devices
> can be easily plugged into the phone. Not for long usage of course.
> flash drives, tv tuners, keyboard, gamepad, etc...

µ-usb means a much smaller piece, contributing to smaller size, lesser
weigh and particle penetration (dust, all) and more compliance with EU law.

Don't know about prices, on one hand it's more common so should be less
pricey, but on the other hand it has much more material.

Rui

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

AstHrO FR-59
  On 10/09/2010 08:03 PM, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

>    Em 09-10-2010 15:15, Chuck Norris escreveu:
>> Dudes, what you think about normal usb instead microusb? many devices
>> can be easily plugged into the phone. Not for long usage of course.
>> flash drives, tv tuners, keyboard, gamepad, etc...
> µ-usb means a much smaller piece, contributing to smaller size, lesser
> weigh and particle penetration (dust, all) and more compliance with EU law.
>
> Don't know about prices, on one hand it's more common so should be less
> pricey, but on the other hand it has much more material.
>
> Rui

Hello,

This idea sounds a good one, but as Rui said, the main problem is a lack
of space. The USB female connector is 4 to 6 times bigger than a MiniUSB
one ... And when you work on a phone, you can put a lot of things in
such place.

But It's not a bad idea to add a miniUSB/USB adapter in the box (why not
a 'U' adapter that let the USB device behind the phone (parallel)...

I repeat : sounds good.

  On 10/09/2010 06:15 PM, Al Johnson wrote:

> On Saturday 09 October 2010, Timo Jyrinki wrote:
>> 2010/10/6 Edder<[hidden email]>:
>>> Will it support headphone, with a microphone?
>> I think it's safe nowadays to just assume Bluetooth headphones, ie.
>> not all devices need the extra plugs if something has to be
>> sacrificed.
> The 40 pin connector[1] has pins for headset left, right, mic and detect, so
> it should support a headset connecting through this at least. There is also a
> minijack socket that appears to be 3.5mm[2], but the spec[3] and pin
> disposition suggest this may be audio out only. If so it's an odd choice as
> there is a de fatcto standard for 4-pole minijacks for headphone and headset.
>
>> 2010/10/6 giacomo 'giotti' mariani<[hidden email]>:
>>> Looks like it miss USB connectivity and I need SSH strongly!
>> Well SSH over Bluetooth personal area network works just fine, but
>> indeed I'd also like USB port for charging and connecting other
>> devices (host mode)
> USB is also on the 40-pin connector. Judging by the beagleboard, the OTG pins
> wil give gadget or OTG support while the other port will give host mode. There
> doesn't appear to be a 5V out pin though, so host mode may be unpowered.
>
> Personally I would rather see a pair of usb ports than the micro-HDMI and the
> barrel power connector, and make sure the headset connector is 4-pole with mic
> support.
>
> [1] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/40-pin_connector
> [2] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/MID_board
> [3] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/Smart_Book_specs

Interesting notes ! I add them to the Do/Don't Do list.

I just answerd about a USB adapter (pluged into the 40pins). Perhaphs a
multiport adapter, plugged in the 40pins, but with a 'U' form factor, so
the wires will be parallel to the phone and behind.

What about that ?

AstHrO

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

gregoiregentil
Hello,

This is Gregoire Gentil, the founder of Always Innovating. This is obviously a very interesting thread! Thanks for all the good ideas. I would like to clarify a few points:

- it would be cool to see OpenMoko to build something around the Mini Book.

- We have no intention in the short term to modify our board and our Mini Book specs because we think that it's quite complete for a MID.

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/MID_board
http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/products/minibook.htm

It has amazing features: OMAP-720/Sitara-1000, MIPI screen, USB hub, multi-touch capacitive touchscreen, resistive touchscreen, accelerometer, USB OTG, front webcam, 1500mAh battery, wifi b/g/n, bluetooth, HDMI video...

- I consider that there are only two "missing" features (3G radio and GPS) but as we are doing a MID, and not a phone, there is no plan to add them to the main board right now.

- Nevertheless, we have this useful 40-pin connector which exposes almost everything interesting, especially: USB, USB OTG, I2C, 3.3V, audio, HDMI video.

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/40-pin_connector

As it has been understood in a few previous posts, our philosophy is to let people, hackers, projects do their own daughter board so that they can add the features / connectivity they want.

- If OpenMoko wants to have a hardware project based on the Mini Book, the best way would be to create an Openmoko daughter board that adds the wanted chips and exposes the required connectivity. It minimizes investments, complexity, dependency, everything...

On the software front, it's probably easier. We think that Android is probably the best option with a user experience that works extremely well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFA8NCfAz8E
But any other Linux OS can run on the platform.

Cheers,

Grégoire Gentil
Founder Always Innovating

On Saturday 09 October 2010, Thomas HOCEDEZ wrote:

>   On 10/09/2010 06:15 PM, Al Johnson wrote:
> >>
> >> I think it's safe nowadays to just assume Bluetooth headphones, ie.
> >> not all devices need the extra plugs if something has to be
> >> sacrificed.
> >
> > The 40 pin connector[1] has pins for headset left, right, mic and detect,
> > so it should support a headset connecting through this at least. There
> > is also a minijack socket that appears to be 3.5mm[2], but the spec[3]
> > and pin disposition suggest this may be audio out only. If so it's an
> > odd choice as there is a de fatcto standard for 4-pole minijacks for
> > headphone and headset.

> >> Well SSH over Bluetooth personal area network works just fine, but
> >> indeed I'd also like USB port for charging and connecting other
> >> devices (host mode)
> >
> > USB is also on the 40-pin connector. Judging by the beagleboard, the OTG
> > pins wil give gadget or OTG support while the other port will give host
> > mode. There doesn't appear to be a 5V out pin though, so host mode may
> > be unpowered.
> >
> > Personally I would rather see a pair of usb ports than the micro-HDMI and
> > the barrel power connector, and make sure the headset connector is
> > 4-pole with mic support.
> >
> > [1] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/40-pin_connector
> > [2] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/MID_board
> > [3] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/Smart_Book_specs

> Interesting notes ! I add them to the Do/Don't Do list.

Where is this list?

> I just answerd about a USB adapter (pluged into the 40pins). Perhaphs a
> multiport adapter, plugged in the 40pins, but with a 'U' form factor, so
> the wires will be parallel to the phone and behind.
>
> What about that ?

Add some fold out legs and you have a docking station in the same unit. It's
certainly neater than an octopus cable, or multiple adapters.

In another post I suggested putting the 3G module, gps, pressure and ambient
light sensors, magnetometer and gyro plus connectors in a small clip on module
using the 40 pin connector. That makes phone and navigation hardware an option
for those that want it without requiring AI to change their existing design,
or force the extra expense on those that don't want it. The moko nav board v2
already shows the sensor circuit - 3.3v supply and i2c interface as available
on the 40pin connector. There's a serial port for GPS too, which just leaves
3G, and perhaps some level shifting for the interfaces.

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau
Looks like we have 2 different opinions here:
1. attach-all-possible-staff-to-MID add new holes new connectors and
so on, e.g. people "dreams" about open extra-cool phone. I'm a bit
confused by such unrealistic direction of developing MiniMoko, and it
will require at least 1-2 years.
2. Use already created MiniBook, just add gsm/3g board inside. IMHO,
more realistic idea and definitely require less efforts.

And one more note: attaching anything via external 40pin port, will
make device impossible to attach to Smartbook.

Maksim

On Sunday 10 October 2010, Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau wrote:
> Looks like we have 2 different opinions here:
> 1. attach-all-possible-staff-to-MID add new holes new connectors and
> so on, e.g. people "dreams" about open extra-cool phone. I'm a bit
> confused by such unrealistic direction of developing MiniMoko, and it
> will require at least 1-2 years.

Probably true, but a nice long term target if AI want to make such a device. I
_really_ want to see a phone with a daylight readable display!

> 2. Use already created MiniBook, just add gsm/3g board inside. IMHO,
> more realistic idea and definitely require less efforts.

Certainly, space permitting. There may be enough space for navigation sensors
too. They are easier to add than the 3G module, and have a similarly low
requirement for case mods.

> And one more note: attaching anything via external 40pin port, will
> make device impossible to attach to Smartbook.

The MiniBook can be connected as normal after removing the module. We could
design the module so that it can connect everything via USB, in which case the
module could dock to one of the USB connections available in the SmartBook.

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Alfa21-mobile
> > 2. Use already created MiniBook, just add gsm/3g board inside. IMHO,
> > more realistic idea and definitely require less efforts.
>
> Certainly, space permitting. There may be enough space for navigation sensors
> too. They are easier to add than the 3G module, and have a similarly low
> requirement for case mods.

imho 3g phone module have a certain priority over all the rest.
I think we should do things gradually, step by step, just to be concrete.

hey, I'm not saying the rest is crap!
just do one thing and do it well, to start moving wheels :)

> > And one more note: attaching anything via external 40pin port, will
> > make device impossible to attach to Smartbook.
>
> The MiniBook can be connected as normal after removing the module. We could
> design the module so that it can connect everything via USB, in which case the
> module could dock to one of the USB connections available in the SmartBook.

so, why we don't just add the µ-usb port and use that both to connect that module, charge the phone, use it as flashdrive etc..?
also you'd need one and only the usb port on the module so you'll be able to connect directly or through one of the others ports on the smartbook.

and the barrel 5v connector is removable, imho.

On Sunday 10 October 2010, Alfa21 wrote:

> > > And one more note: attaching anything via external 40pin port, will
> > > make device impossible to attach to Smartbook.
> >
> > The MiniBook can be connected as normal after removing the module. We
> > could design the module so that it can connect everything via USB, in
> > which case the module could dock to one of the USB connections available
> > in the SmartBook.
>
> so, why we don't just add the µ-usb port and use that both to connect that
> module, charge the phone, use it as flashdrive etc..? also you'd need one
> and only the usb port on the module so you'll be able to connect directly
> or through one of the others ports on the smartbook.

Because the point of the module is that is doesn't require changes to the
existing MiniBook. Much as I would like to replace the barrel and mini-HDMI
with client and host usb sockets, that would require a board revision and new
plastics. If that's being done then the board rev may as well include the bits
that would have gone into the module.

  On 10/10/10 17:27, Al Johnson wrote:

> On Saturday 09 October 2010, Thomas HOCEDEZ wrote:
>>> The 40 pin connector[1] has pins for headset left, right, mic and detect,
>>> so it should support a headset connecting through this at least. There
>>> is also a minijack socket that appears to be 3.5mm[2], but the spec[3]
>>> and pin disposition suggest this may be audio out only. If so it's an
>>> odd choice as there is a de fatcto standard for 4-pole minijacks for
>>> headphone and headset.

>>> USB is also on the 40-pin connector. Judging by the beagleboard, the OTG
>>> pins wil give gadget or OTG support while the other port will give host
>>> mode. There doesn't appear to be a 5V out pin though, so host mode may
>>> be unpowered.
>>>
>>> Personally I would rather see a pair of usb ports than the micro-HDMI and
>>> the barrel power connector, and make sure the headset connector is
>>> 4-pole with mic support.
>>>
>>> [1] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/40-pin_connector
>>> [2] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/MID_board
>>> [3] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/Smart_Book_specs
>> Interesting notes ! I add them to the Do/Don't Do list.
> Where is this list?

--> It's in my head, and in the ML also here :
http://pollen.chorem.org/pollen/poll/votefor/6f8d4dbd06ca4ae9bb90d117a5dbaf79

>> I just answerd about a USB adapter (pluged into the 40pins). Perhaphs a
>> multiport adapter, plugged in the 40pins, but with a 'U' form factor, so
>> the wires will be parallel to the phone and behind.
>>
>> What about that ?
> Add some fold out legs and you have a docking station in the same unit. It's
> certainly neater than an octopus cable, or multiple adapters.
>
> In another post I suggested putting the 3G module, gps, pressure and ambient
> light sensors, magnetometer and gyro plus connectors in a small clip on module
> using the 40 pin connector. That makes phone and navigation hardware an option
> for those that want it without requiring AI to change their existing design,
> or force the extra expense on those that don't want it. The moko nav board v2
> already shows the sensor circuit - 3.3v supply and i2c interface as available
> on the 40pin connector. There's a serial port for GPS too, which just leaves
> 3G, and perhaps some level shifting for the interfaces.

Really really nice idea !!! I Like the idea of the dockable addon !

  On 10/10/10 17:42, Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau wrote:

> Looks like we have 2 different opinions here:
> 1. attach-all-possible-staff-to-MID add new holes new connectors and
> so on, e.g. people "dreams" about open extra-cool phone. I'm a bit
> confused by such unrealistic direction of developing MiniMoko, and it
> will require at least 1-2 years.
> 2. Use already created MiniBook, just add gsm/3g board inside. IMHO,
> more realistic idea and definitely require less efforts.
>
> And one more note: attaching anything via external 40pin port, will
> make device impossible to attach to Smartbook.
>
> Maksim
Definitly, the way we wanted to go here is the 2nd one. But your note is
excellent, and we have to ask : do we have to plug the MiniBook to the
smartbook with all its stuff ? (I assume it is 'yes'...,but, We'll had
the questions for A.I.)

  On 10/10/10 20:09, Alfa21 wrote:

>>> 2. Use already created MiniBook, just add gsm/3g board inside. IMHO,
>>> more realistic idea and definitely require less efforts.
>> Certainly, space permitting. There may be enough space for navigation sensors
>> too. They are easier to add than the 3G module, and have a similarly low
>> requirement for case mods.
> imho 3g phone module have a certain priority over all the rest.
> I think we should do things gradually, step by step, just to be concrete.
>
> hey, I'm not saying the rest is crap!
> just do one thing and do it well, to start moving wheels :)

I wish I say your words ;-)
>>> And one more note: attaching anything via external 40pin port, will
>>> make device impossible to attach to Smartbook.
>> The MiniBook can be connected as normal after removing the module. We could
>> design the module so that it can connect everything via USB, in which case the
>> module could dock to one of the USB connections available in the SmartBook.
> so, why we don't just add the µ-usb port and use that both to connect that module, charge the phone, use it as flashdrive etc..?
> also you'd need one and only the usb port on the module so you'll be able to connect directly or through one of the others ports on the smartbook.
>
> and the barrel 5v connector is removable, imho.
Nice analysis, we have to be concrete, simple & efficient.

  On 10/10/10 20:53, Al Johnson wrote:

>>> The MiniBook can be connected as normal after removing the module. We
>>> could design the module so that it can connect everything via USB, in
>>> which case the module could dock to one of the USB connections available
>>> in the SmartBook.
>> so, why we don't just add the µ-usb port and use that both to connect that
>> module, charge the phone, use it as flashdrive etc..? also you'd need one
>> and only the usb port on the module so you'll be able to connect directly
>> or through one of the others ports on the smartbook.
> Because the point of the module is that is doesn't require changes to the
> existing MiniBook. Much as I would like to replace the barrel and mini-HDMI
> with client and host usb sockets, that would require a board revision and new
> plastics. If that's being done then the board rev may as well include the bits
> that would have gone into the module.
As there will be 3G + SimCard reader + USB plugs, yes, the plastics may
suffer a bit.

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Esben Stien
Thomas HOCEDEZ <[hidden email]> writes:

> Always Innovating (A.I.), is opened to think about a collaboration

They have no mailing lists for their projects?.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m

On 12/10/2010 04:57, Esben Stien wrote:
> Thomas HOCEDEZ<[hidden email]>  writes:
>

>> Always Innovating (A.I.), is opened to think about a collaboration
>>
> They have no mailing lists for their projects?.

This projects comes from us (community). So the mailing list for the
project is here ;-).

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

AstHrO FR-59
Hello Gregoire,

I'm Thomas, the one who sent an email to Alexandre for finding a way to "work" together.

First, a really big ThankYou for responding directly here, everyone is happy to see that A.I. is a company near of its (future) consumers.

This project is very exciting and a lot of people are ready to help on it.
I think your idea of a childboard is one of the best way to follow, we could add a little slice of the MiniBook, fitting everything we want inside, without reinventing the wheel. (Yours is really cool!).

So for starting to create such an addon, would it be possible to have some extra infos on the MID ? (Schemas, wiring diagrams or so ? ) The analysis of the MID board pictures helps a lot, but with those documents, we won't have to spend time doing reverse engineering ;-).

I have a last question : When will it be possible to get first MiniBooks ? If we had one, it can be usefull for starting the job.

Thanks again for your answer, your products, and your open mind.

See you soon,

Thomas HOCEDEZ / Asthro
Openmoko-fr.org

Re: New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

jd823592
Hello, in what way can one retrieve news about this project, what is its duration estimate? Given that the project just wants to add 3G to the device it shouldnt take ages :), i will buy this device as soon as possible :). What about built-in mic/reproductor are they planned right?
12