Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
There is now a new Wiki page for the project:

        http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_Beagle_Hybrid

I have received some questions why we did not put all this into a nice
design. The main reason is that we can't redesign the Beagleboard (it
has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
welcome). So the easiest solution was to combine what we have: a given
Beagleboard and the Freerunner case.

Other questions were what one could do with this. Here some ideas (not
assuming it is complete - you may have more and it is a platform for
your creativity):

        • experimenting with touchscreen and new user interfaces on Beagleboard
        • learn how the OMAP3530 CPU works
        • make it a truly open mobile application development platform by
adding a battery pack and a UMTS usb stick
        • investigate how an Openmoko with UMTS and OMAP3530 feels (not from
haptics but screen operation and UMTS speed)
        • porting SHR, QtMoko, Android, etc. to ARM-Cortex A8

And here some feature list:

        • PCB that fits into Freerunner case (top cover and middle part after
cutting a hole)
        • works also without such a case (except speakers and earset)
        • Toppoly LCM interface (same display as used in the Freerunner -
otherwise it would not fit into the case)
        • TSC2007 touch screen controller
        • Microphone
        • Earset and Speaker connector (for those sitting in the Freerunner
case)
        • 2 buttons (AUX and Power)
        • 2 dual color LEDs (in the AUX and Power buttons)
        • vibracall driver
        • headset jack to connect microphone, earset and speaker

For the software, we have to rearrange the code on our server a little
and then it will be made public.

Finally, here you can do preorders:

        http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=Openmoko%20Beagle

Nikolaus

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Michael Trimarchi-3
Hi,

RANJAN wrote:
> A  really good idea.Looking forward to its release.
>
> R.Sriranjan
>
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
> <[hidden email]>wrote:

I don't know why it's usefull, sorry for the question. If you can give
me a board that replace
the gta02 board and I can reuse battery and display and keyboard, that's
can be great but other type
of solution change openmoko on a developement board

Michael

>> There is now a new Wiki page for the project:
>>
>>        http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_Beagle_Hybrid
>>
>> I have received some questions why we did not put all this into a nice
>> design. The main reason is that we can't redesign the Beagleboard (it
>> has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
>> moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
>> welcome). So the easiest solution was to combine what we have: a given
>> Beagleboard and the Freerunner case.
>>
>> Other questions were what one could do with this. Here some ideas (not
>> assuming it is complete - you may have more and it is a platform for
>> your creativity):
>>
>>        • experimenting with touchscreen and new user interfaces on
>> Beagleboard
>>        • learn how the OMAP3530 CPU works
>>        • make it a truly open mobile application development platform by
>> adding a battery pack and a UMTS usb stick
>>        • investigate how an Openmoko with UMTS and OMAP3530 feels (not from
>> haptics but screen operation and UMTS speed)
>>        • porting SHR, QtMoko, Android, etc. to ARM-Cortex A8
>>
>> And here some feature list:
>>
>>        • PCB that fits into Freerunner case (top cover and middle part
>> after
>> cutting a hole)
>>        • works also without such a case (except speakers and earset)
>>        • Toppoly LCM interface (same display as used in the Freerunner -
>> otherwise it would not fit into the case)
>>        • TSC2007 touch screen controller
>>        • Microphone
>>        • Earset and Speaker connector (for those sitting in the Freerunner
>> case)
>>        • 2 buttons (AUX and Power)
>>        • 2 dual color LEDs (in the AUX and Power buttons)
>>        • vibracall driver
>>        • headset jack to connect microphone, earset and speaker
>>
>> For the software, we have to rearrange the code on our server a little
>> and then it will be made public.
>>
>> Finally, here you can do preorders:
>>
>>        http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=Openmoko%20Beagle
>>
>> Nikolaus

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller

Am 11.05.2010 um 17:50 schrieb Michael Trimarchi:

> Hi,
>
> RANJAN wrote:
>> A  really good idea.Looking forward to its release.
>>
>> R.Sriranjan
>>
>> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>

> I don't know why it's usefull, sorry for the question. If you can
> give me a board that replace
> the gta02 board and I can reuse battery and display and keyboard,
> that's can be great but other type
> of solution change openmoko on a developement board

You are completely right in your expectation that we share. We would
be happier if we could offer a motherboard replacement for the
Freerunner. With OMAP and UMTS. But as Werner has already found out in
the GTA02-core project this is still very far from becoming reality.
The complexity is balancing circuit design with availability and cost
of chips, and pcb layout with production processes.

Nevertheless, the great open source mobile phone software developed by
this community (SHR, QtMoko, FSO etc.) needs to have modern open and
documented hardware to keep pace with pretededly-open platforms like
iPhone, WebOS, etc. Therefore, this Openmoko Beagle Hybrid board gives
us a tool to develop mobile applications with state of the art
performance (except form factor).

We, a small team of hardware developers, will continue to work on
integrating everything better - but this is a long way to go. I am
sure we will finally succeed because we have decided to do so, but I
don't know when.

So it is better to have something suboptimal than nothing...

Nikolaus

> Michael
>>> There is now a new Wiki page for the project:
>>>
>>>       http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_Beagle_Hybrid
>>>
>>> I have received some questions why we did not put all this into a
>>> nice
>>> design. The main reason is that we can't redesign the Beagleboard
>>> (it
>>> has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
>>> moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
>>> welcome). So the easiest solution was to combine what we have: a
>>> given
>>> Beagleboard and the Freerunner case.
>>>
>>> Other questions were what one could do with this. Here some ideas
>>> (not
>>> assuming it is complete - you may have more and it is a platform for
>>> your creativity):
>>>
>>>       • experimenting with touchscreen and new user interfaces on
>>> Beagleboard
>>>       • learn how the OMAP3530 CPU works
>>>       • make it a truly open mobile application development
>>> platform by
>>> adding a battery pack and a UMTS usb stick
>>>       • investigate how an Openmoko with UMTS and OMAP3530 feels
>>> (not from
>>> haptics but screen operation and UMTS speed)
>>>       • porting SHR, QtMoko, Android, etc. to ARM-Cortex A8
>>>
>>> And here some feature list:
>>>
>>>       • PCB that fits into Freerunner case (top cover and middle
>>> part
>>> after
>>> cutting a hole)
>>>       • works also without such a case (except speakers and earset)
>>>       • Toppoly LCM interface (same display as used in the
>>> Freerunner -
>>> otherwise it would not fit into the case)
>>>       • TSC2007 touch screen controller
>>>       • Microphone
>>>       • Earset and Speaker connector (for those sitting in the
>>> Freerunner
>>> case)
>>>       • 2 buttons (AUX and Power)
>>>       • 2 dual color LEDs (in the AUX and Power buttons)
>>>       • vibracall driver
>>>       • headset jack to connect microphone, earset and speaker
>>>
>>> For the software, we have to rearrange the code on our server a
>>> little
>>> and then it will be made public.
>>>
>>> Finally, here you can do preorders:
>>>
>>>       http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=Openmoko%20Beagle
>>>
>>> Nikolaus

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Michael Trimarchi-3
Hi,

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Am 11.05.2010 um 17:50 schrieb Michael Trimarchi:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> RANJAN wrote:
>>> A  really good idea.Looking forward to its release.
>>>
>>> R.Sriranjan
>>>
>>> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
>>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>>

>> I don't know why it's usefull, sorry for the question. If you can
>> give me a board that replace
>> the gta02 board and I can reuse battery and display and keyboard,
>> that's can be great but other type
>> of solution change openmoko on a developement board

Is there a place for a gumstix and a dougher board there? so remove it and
connect a gumstix with a flat to a doughter with and umts modem.
What do you think?

Michael

> You are completely right in your expectation that we share. We would
> be happier if we could offer a motherboard replacement for the
> Freerunner. With OMAP and UMTS. But as Werner has already found out in
> the GTA02-core project this is still very far from becoming reality.
> The complexity is balancing circuit design with availability and cost
> of chips, and pcb layout with production processes.
>
> Nevertheless, the great open source mobile phone software developed by
> this community (SHR, QtMoko, FSO etc.) needs to have modern open and
> documented hardware to keep pace with pretededly-open platforms like
> iPhone, WebOS, etc. Therefore, this Openmoko Beagle Hybrid board gives
> us a tool to develop mobile applications with state of the art
> performance (except form factor).
>
> We, a small team of hardware developers, will continue to work on
> integrating everything better - but this is a long way to go. I am
> sure we will finally succeed because we have decided to do so, but I
> don't know when.
>
> So it is better to have something suboptimal than nothing...
>
> Nikolaus
>

>> Michael

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller

Am 11.05.2010 um 19:02 schrieb Michael Trimarchi:

> Hi,
>
> Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>
>> Am 11.05.2010 um 17:50 schrieb Michael Trimarchi:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I don't know why it's usefull, sorry for the question. If you can
>>> give me a board that replace
>>> the gta02 board and I can reuse battery and display and keyboard,
>>> that's can be great but other type
>>> of solution change openmoko on a developement board
>>
> Is there a place for a gumstix and a dougher board there? so remove
> it and
> connect a gumstix with a flat to a doughter with and umts modem.
> What do you think?

I don't know if there is enough room inside the case for a Gumstix.
But generally, the Gumstix and Beagleboard are quite similar from
circuitry. Maybe, the connectors (Video, USB-OTG, SD-Card, 2nd USB)
are much different.

We didn't because we simply had more experience with the BeagleBoard
and it costs less.

Nikolaus

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> There is now a new Wiki page for the project:
>
>       http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_Beagle_Hybrid

Kewl. But where's the duct tape ? :-)

> I have received some questions why we did not put all this into a nice
> design. The main reason is that we can't redesign the Beagleboard (it
> has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
> moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
> welcome).

Low-volume injection molding should be quite affordable if you
provide the cast (aluminium) or at least a machine-ready design.
Of course, if you have to pay for the entire design work too,
things will get expensive.

However, you may also want to consider making the parts directly,
without going via a cast. This is much more expensive for larger
quantities, but if you only need a handful of cases anyway, it
should be more efficient.

The issue then becomes access to equipment and experience. I think
making a simple case should be little more than a weekend project
for someone who's set up to do such things. The challenge seems to
be to find such a person, or - if you're looking for an exciting
new hobby - to become one :-)

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller

Am 14.05.2010 um 16:36 schrieb Werner Almesberger:

> Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> There is now a new Wiki page for the project:
>>
>>      http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_Beagle_Hybrid
>
> Kewl. But where's the duct tape ? :-)

Between PCB and LCM :-)

>> I have received some questions why we did not put all this into a
>> nice
>> design. The main reason is that we can't redesign the Beagleboard (it
>> has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
>> moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
>> welcome).
>
> Low-volume injection molding should be quite affordable if you
> provide the cast (aluminium) or at least a machine-ready design.
> Of course, if you have to pay for the entire design work too,
> things will get expensive.

We have done some research and asked for quotation and the result is
that if you want to get below 50 USD per unit (which is still a lot of
money) you need a volume of >200 units. If you make any small mistake,
you have to repeat the process and cost will increase by factor 2...
So it is not good for learning and protoyping.

> However, you may also want to consider making the parts directly,
> without going via a cast. This is much more expensive for larger
> quantities, but if you only need a handful of cases anyway, it
> should be more efficient.

The alternative would be 3D-Printing. There are now some quite good
machines that can produce in ABS. Unfortunately these machines are
rather expensive and operators want to have fast amortization. This
raises cost of small quantities of cases like the freerunner well
beyond 100 USD.

So our observation is that there is no method which allows to produce
1-100 units for experimenting and testing - and still meets the
expectations in quality and cost.

But we may have missed something. When I walked through the "Golden
Mall" during CeBIT this year, I wondered how approx. 500 small asian
booths could display approx. 50 different products each (headsets,
mice, keyboards, batteries, plugs, covers, fake phones, real phones,
etc...). Each one must have its own plastics. So I would estimate
several million USD in moulds have been on display :)

> The issue then becomes access to equipment and experience. I think
> making a simple case should be little more than a weekend project
> for someone who's set up to do such things. The challenge seems to
> be to find such a person, or - if you're looking for an exciting
> new hobby - to become one :-)

A third alternative could be to experiment with Makerbot / Cupcake.
Anyone tried to "print" a Freerunner case from the open 3D data?

BR,
Nikolaus

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Nathael Pajani-2
Hi all

Werner said that the challenge is to find a person able to reuse the openmoko case design
to make a new one from it.

Then I know of such a person : [hidden email]

I already spoke to him of this project, and he had a look at the case of my openmoko last
week while he was in France.

Here are the original 3D schematics :
http://downloads.openmoko.org/developer/CAD/

I let you speak with him if you want to take some of his time.

+++

Le 14/05/2010 16:36, Werner Almesberger a écrit :

> Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> There is now a new Wiki page for the project:
>>
>>        http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_Beagle_Hybrid
>
> Kewl. But where's the duct tape ? :-)
>
>> I have received some questions why we did not put all this into a nice
>> design. The main reason is that we can't redesign the Beagleboard (it
>> has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
>> moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
>> welcome).
>
> Low-volume injection molding should be quite affordable if you
> provide the cast (aluminium) or at least a machine-ready design.
> Of course, if you have to pay for the entire design work too,
> things will get expensive.
>
> However, you may also want to consider making the parts directly,
> without going via a cast. This is much more expensive for larger
> quantities, but if you only need a handful of cases anyway, it
> should be more efficient.
>
> The issue then becomes access to equipment and experience. I think
> making a simple case should be little more than a weekend project
> for someone who's set up to do such things. The challenge seems to
> be to find such a person, or - if you're looking for an exciting
> new hobby - to become one :-)
>
> - Werner

Nathaël PAJANI
ED3L - Etude et Développement - Linux et Logiciels Libres
Internet : http://www.ed3l.fr

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

H. Nikolaus Schaller
Hi all,
we were a little quiet the last days because we just had to wait to
receive the final PCBs and some components and start testing the boards.

We are currently thinking about different offers:

1. PCB and very special components only (you can go shopping yourself).
2. PCB and complete component set (unsoldered)
3. PCB and components already soldered on a professional SMT line (we
have one)
4. same as 3 including a Wi2Wi GPS receiver module (we are not sure if
the internal Freerunner antenna module works, but an external antenna
connected through the MMCX plug did work). This will increase the
price of course.

But beware for variants 1&2: there are several 0402 components and one
0.5mm pitch BGA (TSC2007) for which you need very special soldering
eqipment.

Please let me know your preferences (either here or by private mail).

Best regards,
Nikolaus

PS: the git for U-Boot and the kernel is already active
PPS: I have just copied the QtMoko rootfs on the Beagle Board and it
did run through touch screen calibration and language selection menu
before some component did segfault

> There is now a new Wiki page for the project:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_Beagle_Hybrid
>
> I have received some questions why we did not put all this into a nice
> design. The main reason is that we can't redesign the Beagleboard (it
> has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
> moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
> welcome). So the easiest solution was to combine what we have: a given
> Beagleboard and the Freerunner case.
>
> Other questions were what one could do with this. Here some ideas (not
> assuming it is complete - you may have more and it is a platform for
> your creativity):
>
> • experimenting with touchscreen and new user interfaces on
> Beagleboard
> • learn how the OMAP3530 CPU works
> • make it a truly open mobile application development platform by
> adding a battery pack and a UMTS usb stick
> • investigate how an Openmoko with UMTS and OMAP3530 feels (not from
> haptics but screen operation and UMTS speed)
> • porting SHR, QtMoko, Android, etc. to ARM-Cortex A8
>
> And here some feature list:
>
> • PCB that fits into Freerunner case (top cover and middle part after
> cutting a hole)
> • works also without such a case (except speakers and earset)
> • Toppoly LCM interface (same display as used in the Freerunner -
> otherwise it would not fit into the case)
> • TSC2007 touch screen controller
> • Microphone
> • Earset and Speaker connector (for those sitting in the Freerunner
> case)
> • 2 buttons (AUX and Power)
> • 2 dual color LEDs (in the AUX and Power buttons)
> • vibracall driver
> • headset jack to connect microphone, earset and speaker
>
> For the software, we have to rearrange the code on our server a little
> and then it will be made public.
>
> Finally, here you can do preorders:
>
> http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=Openmoko%20Beagle
>
> Nikolaus

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

AlvieBoy
Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> 3. PCB and components already soldered on a professional SMT line (we
> have one)

And who's "we", if I may ask ? I had the impression this was only a few-people project, not sponsored by any means. I doubt any of you have a pro SMT assembly line.

I'm asking this also because I do not remember any SMT offer/proposal for GTA02-core except from USP.

But this is good news, I assume. Having a second SMT line would surely ease things a bit, even if we have to pay for it.

Any cost estimates for GTA02-core on that SMT line of yours ?

Best,
Álvaro

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

H. Nikolaus Schaller
Hi Alvaro,

Am 16.06.2010 um 01:35 schrieb Álvaro Lopes:

> Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> 3. PCB and components already soldered on a professional SMT line (we
>> have one)
>
> And who's "we", if I may ask ? I had the impression this was only a few-people project, not sponsored by any means. I doubt any of you have a pro SMT
> assembly line.

We do not own the assembly line (why should we?).

> I'm asking this also because I do not remember any SMT offer/proposal for GTA02-core except from USP.
>
> But this is good news, I assume. Having a second SMT line would surely ease things a bit, even if we have to pay for it.

If you are willing to pay, there are several thousands of SMT lines around the world to choose from. I think we could enter the same endless discussion as in software: what does "Free" mean? "Free beer" or "Free speech"?

> Any cost estimates for GTA02-core on that SMT line of yours ?

No idea. They need complete production documents to give a quotation.

If you have your own line, may I assume you would prefer option 1 or 2?

BR,
Nikolaus

Mobile Office Solutions
by Golden Delicious Computers GmbH&Co. KG
Buchenstr. 3
D-82041 Oberhaching
+49-89-54290367
http://www.handheld-linux.com

AG München, HRA 89571
VAT DE253626266
Komplementär:
Golden Delicious Computers Verwaltungs GmbH
Oberhaching, AG München, HRB 16602
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Nikolaus Schaller

Making Digital Tools for Independent People
Independent People for Making Digital Tools

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Stefan Monnier
> 1. PCB and very special components only (you can go shopping yourself).
> 2. PCB and complete component set (unsoldered)
> 3. PCB and components already soldered on a professional SMT line (we
> have one)
> 4. same as 3 including a Wi2Wi GPS receiver module (we are not sure if
> the internal Freerunner antenna module works, but an external antenna
> connected through the MMCX plug did work). This will increase the
> price of course.

I'm a software guy, so options 1 and 2 are out for me.  No preference
w.r.t 3 vs 4.

        Stefan

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

H. Nikolaus Schaller

Which option would you prefer?

Since this are too many for us to handle, please let us know the variants you like. We will then decide which ones we will finally produce.

To simplify the answers, please vote here:

Ok,
I think this poll already made clear that most of you are interested in a completely assembled offer (for software development). And a fresh LCD module would help to save disassembling a Freerunner (unless you have a broken one that is being covered by dust).

So we drop the "kit" approach but keep the bare PCB just in case someone wants to have it.

The other question gives a strong preference for GPS.

We are still waiting to receive some components to verify that it (still) works on the new PCBs (this is in fact the second generation - the first one was done earlier this year). Nevertheless, you can already look into the data sheets of the W2SG004:

And how to control the GPS receiver and antenna switch from user space:

Comments and contributions to the project pages are welcome.

Nikolaus

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

H. Nikolaus Schaller

Am 20.06.2010 um 11:09 schrieb Andreas Pokorny:

> Hi ,
> The guy responsible for the layout of the pandora released a pcb
> description mentioning the solder pads
>
> http://www.openpandora.org/downloads/PANDORA_Hackers_manual_v100.pdf

Thanks for the link! Interesting information we might need if we someday start to squeeze everything into a Freerunner case.

> Since I plan to buy a pandora .. Could you have a closer look to
> verify whether the required connectors  to attach the openmoko beagle
> hybrid kit are available?

Hm. The Pandora connectors and the Beagle Board connectors are *very* different. So I see the only method to connect the Beagle to the Pandora is through USB.

Nikolaus