Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

123

Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
There is now a new Wiki page for the project:

        http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_Beagle_Hybrid

I have received some questions why we did not put all this into a nice
design. The main reason is that we can't redesign the Beagleboard (it
has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
welcome). So the easiest solution was to combine what we have: a given
Beagleboard and the Freerunner case.

Other questions were what one could do with this. Here some ideas (not
assuming it is complete - you may have more and it is a platform for
your creativity):

        • experimenting with touchscreen and new user interfaces on Beagleboard
        • learn how the OMAP3530 CPU works
        • make it a truly open mobile application development platform by
adding a battery pack and a UMTS usb stick
        • investigate how an Openmoko with UMTS and OMAP3530 feels (not from
haptics but screen operation and UMTS speed)
        • porting SHR, QtMoko, Android, etc. to ARM-Cortex A8

And here some feature list:

        • PCB that fits into Freerunner case (top cover and middle part after
cutting a hole)
        • works also without such a case (except speakers and earset)
        • Toppoly LCM interface (same display as used in the Freerunner -
otherwise it would not fit into the case)
        • TSC2007 touch screen controller
        • Microphone
        • Earset and Speaker connector (for those sitting in the Freerunner
case)
        • 2 buttons (AUX and Power)
        • 2 dual color LEDs (in the AUX and Power buttons)
        • vibracall driver
        • headset jack to connect microphone, earset and speaker

For the software, we have to rearrange the code on our server a little
and then it will be made public.

Finally, here you can do preorders:

        http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=Openmoko%20Beagle

Nikolaus

Am 11.05.2010 um 17:50 schrieb Michael Trimarchi:

> Hi,
>
> RANJAN wrote:
>> A  really good idea.Looking forward to its release.
>>
>> R.Sriranjan
>>
>> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>

> I don't know why it's usefull, sorry for the question. If you can
> give me a board that replace
> the gta02 board and I can reuse battery and display and keyboard,
> that's can be great but other type
> of solution change openmoko on a developement board

You are completely right in your expectation that we share. We would
be happier if we could offer a motherboard replacement for the
Freerunner. With OMAP and UMTS. But as Werner has already found out in
the GTA02-core project this is still very far from becoming reality.
The complexity is balancing circuit design with availability and cost
of chips, and pcb layout with production processes.

Nevertheless, the great open source mobile phone software developed by
this community (SHR, QtMoko, FSO etc.) needs to have modern open and
documented hardware to keep pace with pretededly-open platforms like
iPhone, WebOS, etc. Therefore, this Openmoko Beagle Hybrid board gives
us a tool to develop mobile applications with state of the art
performance (except form factor).

We, a small team of hardware developers, will continue to work on
integrating everything better - but this is a long way to go. I am
sure we will finally succeed because we have decided to do so, but I
don't know when.

So it is better to have something suboptimal than nothing...

Nikolaus

> Michael
>>> There is now a new Wiki page for the project:
>>>
>>>       http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_Beagle_Hybrid
>>>
>>> I have received some questions why we did not put all this into a
>>> nice
>>> design. The main reason is that we can't redesign the Beagleboard
>>> (it
>>> has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
>>> moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
>>> welcome). So the easiest solution was to combine what we have: a
>>> given
>>> Beagleboard and the Freerunner case.
>>>
>>> Other questions were what one could do with this. Here some ideas
>>> (not
>>> assuming it is complete - you may have more and it is a platform for
>>> your creativity):
>>>
>>>       • experimenting with touchscreen and new user interfaces on
>>> Beagleboard
>>>       • learn how the OMAP3530 CPU works
>>>       • make it a truly open mobile application development
>>> platform by
>>> adding a battery pack and a UMTS usb stick
>>>       • investigate how an Openmoko with UMTS and OMAP3530 feels
>>> (not from
>>> haptics but screen operation and UMTS speed)
>>>       • porting SHR, QtMoko, Android, etc. to ARM-Cortex A8
>>>
>>> And here some feature list:
>>>
>>>       • PCB that fits into Freerunner case (top cover and middle
>>> part
>>> after
>>> cutting a hole)
>>>       • works also without such a case (except speakers and earset)
>>>       • Toppoly LCM interface (same display as used in the
>>> Freerunner -
>>> otherwise it would not fit into the case)
>>>       • TSC2007 touch screen controller
>>>       • Microphone
>>>       • Earset and Speaker connector (for those sitting in the
>>> Freerunner
>>> case)
>>>       • 2 buttons (AUX and Power)
>>>       • 2 dual color LEDs (in the AUX and Power buttons)
>>>       • vibracall driver
>>>       • headset jack to connect microphone, earset and speaker
>>>
>>> For the software, we have to rearrange the code on our server a
>>> little
>>> and then it will be made public.
>>>
>>> Finally, here you can do preorders:
>>>
>>>       http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=Openmoko%20Beagle
>>>
>>> Nikolaus

Re: [gta02-core] Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

GarthPS
kudos!

Am 11.05.2010 um 19:02 schrieb Michael Trimarchi:

> Hi,
>
> Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>
>> Am 11.05.2010 um 17:50 schrieb Michael Trimarchi:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I don't know why it's usefull, sorry for the question. If you can
>>> give me a board that replace
>>> the gta02 board and I can reuse battery and display and keyboard,
>>> that's can be great but other type
>>> of solution change openmoko on a developement board
>>
> Is there a place for a gumstix and a dougher board there? so remove
> it and
> connect a gumstix with a flat to a doughter with and umts modem.
> What do you think?

I don't know if there is enough room inside the case for a Gumstix.
But generally, the Gumstix and Beagleboard are quite similar from
circuitry. Maybe, the connectors (Video, USB-OTG, SD-Card, 2nd USB)
are much different.

We didn't because we simply had more experience with the BeagleBoard
and it costs less.

Nikolaus

Re: [gta02-core] Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> There is now a new Wiki page for the project:
>
>       http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_Beagle_Hybrid

Kewl. But where's the duct tape ? :-)

> I have received some questions why we did not put all this into a nice
> design. The main reason is that we can't redesign the Beagleboard (it
> has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
> moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
> welcome).

Low-volume injection molding should be quite affordable if you
provide the cast (aluminium) or at least a machine-ready design.
Of course, if you have to pay for the entire design work too,
things will get expensive.

However, you may also want to consider making the parts directly,
without going via a cast. This is much more expensive for larger
quantities, but if you only need a handful of cases anyway, it
should be more efficient.

The issue then becomes access to equipment and experience. I think
making a simple case should be little more than a weekend project
for someone who's set up to do such things. The challenge seems to
be to find such a person, or - if you're looking for an exciting
new hobby - to become one :-)

Am 14.05.2010 um 16:36 schrieb Werner Almesberger:

> Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> There is now a new Wiki page for the project:
>>
>>      http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_Beagle_Hybrid
>
> Kewl. But where's the duct tape ? :-)

Between PCB and LCM :-)

>> I have received some questions why we did not put all this into a
>> nice
>> design. The main reason is that we can't redesign the Beagleboard (it
>> has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
>> moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
>> welcome).
>
> Low-volume injection molding should be quite affordable if you
> provide the cast (aluminium) or at least a machine-ready design.
> Of course, if you have to pay for the entire design work too,
> things will get expensive.

We have done some research and asked for quotation and the result is
that if you want to get below 50 USD per unit (which is still a lot of
money) you need a volume of >200 units. If you make any small mistake,
you have to repeat the process and cost will increase by factor 2...
So it is not good for learning and protoyping.

> However, you may also want to consider making the parts directly,
> without going via a cast. This is much more expensive for larger
> quantities, but if you only need a handful of cases anyway, it
> should be more efficient.

The alternative would be 3D-Printing. There are now some quite good
machines that can produce in ABS. Unfortunately these machines are
rather expensive and operators want to have fast amortization. This
raises cost of small quantities of cases like the freerunner well
beyond 100 USD.

So our observation is that there is no method which allows to produce
1-100 units for experimenting and testing - and still meets the
expectations in quality and cost.

But we may have missed something. When I walked through the "Golden
Mall" during CeBIT this year, I wondered how approx. 500 small asian
booths could display approx. 50 different products each (headsets,
mice, keyboards, batteries, plugs, covers, fake phones, real phones,
etc...). Each one must have its own plastics. So I would estimate
several million USD in moulds have been on display :)

> The issue then becomes access to equipment and experience. I think
> making a simple case should be little more than a weekend project
> for someone who's set up to do such things. The challenge seems to
> be to find such a person, or - if you're looking for an exciting
> new hobby - to become one :-)

A third alternative could be to experiment with Makerbot / Cupcake.
Anyone tried to "print" a Freerunner case from the open 3D data?

BR,
Nikolaus

Re: [gta02-core] Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Atilla Filiz-2

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> However, you may also want to consider making the parts directly,
> without going via a cast. This is much more expensive for larger
> quantities, but if you only need a handful of cases anyway, it
> should be more efficient.

The alternative would be 3D-Printing. There are now some quite good
machines that can produce in ABS. Unfortunately these machines are
rather expensive and operators want to have fast amortization. This
raises cost of small quantities of cases like the freerunner well
beyond 100 USD.
Have you contacted any hackerspaces? Check this non-exhaustive list
http://harkopen.com/hackerspaces

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Shawn Rutledge
On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:56 AM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
> moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
> welcome). So the easiest solution was to combine what we have: a given
> Beagleboard and the Freerunner case.

Personally I don't see what the big deal is with mold-making.  Anybody
could start a business doing that if it's so lucrative: get a Harbor
Freight or other cheap milling machine and some blocks of aluminum,
and develop the skill to do sufficiently accurate machining.  (I have
tried a little milling but my skill level definitely needs a lot of
improvement; maybe it will if I ever get around to doing enough of
it.)  Of course CNC would be nice, but again, what's the big deal...3
steppers or servo motors and a controller...  As someone else
mentioned the Chinese obviously aren't having too much trouble with
mold-making.

It's also within the realm of possibility to make your own injection
molding machine.  There is a book (Gingery) about how to do that, but
there is nothing too exotic in that book either... it's just a heated
cylinder and piston arrangement with a lever to apply the pressure.
Hot plastic comes squirting out, and you have your mold clamped in
place to receive it.

Alternatives include building a RepRap, making the plastic parts
directly, and putting up with rough, inaccurate results; buying a
better rapid prototyping machine (FDM type or laser sintering or the
type that builds up parts from thin laminates); or directly
CNC-milling the cases (you could even use wood then).  As a DIY/hacker
type thing rather than commercial, it might fly.  Maybe try to get a
story in Make Magazine because there seems to be a trendy new crowd of
DIY/hacker types nowadays, who weren't around a couple years ago.

Or get it made at one of the rapid-prototyping shops.  For every type
of RP technology there are multiple shops doing on-demand prototypes.

In any event, the case design could be posted on

http://www.thingiverse.com/

and maybe someone who has a RepRap or similar can try to make a prototype.

There was a design contest going on but I guess the time has passed:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/04/makerbot_giveaway.html

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

H. Nikolaus Schaller
The problem is not technology or DIY capabilities, but cost.

What we want to have is a nice case achievable for everybody, not only
the enthusiast who wants to spend time and money for experimenting
with DIY hardware or commercial FDM.

So the question is how much does a SW developer want to pay to get HW
+ Case? Let's say 50 EUR per plastic case.

FDM is at least 200 EUR (that is what we got as a quotation from the
rapid-prototyping shops for a simple part and not the whole case). Or
700 EUR for a Cupcake. Or 5k for a protomold made thing. Or 10-20k EUR
for a 3D printer. A full freerunner case consists of 6 plastic parts
(incl. 2 buttons).

The other side is expectation of quality/robustness. I have been told
by experts who own a RepRap/CupCake that the precision is not good
enough to reproduce a Freerunner case (wall thickness 0.5mm).

Am 17.05.2010 um 06:03 schrieb Shawn Rutledge:

> [...]

The problem is not technology or DIY capabilities, but cost.

What we want to have is a nice case achievable for everybody, not only
the enthusiast who wants to spend time and money for experimenting
with DIY hardware or commercial FDM.

So the question is how much does a SW developer want to pay to get HW
+ Case? Let's say 50 EUR per plastic case.

FDM is at least 200 EUR (that is what we got as a quotation from the
rapid-prototyping shops for a simple part and not the whole case). Or
700 EUR for a Cupcake. Or 5k for a protomold made thing. Or 10-20k EUR
for a 3D printer. A full freerunner case consists of 6 plastic parts
(incl. 2 buttons).

The other side is expectation of quality/robustness. I have been told
by experts who own a RepRap/CupCake that the precision is not good
enough to reproduce a Freerunner case (wall thickness 0.5mm).

So if we find a method that allows to make 10 units from a budget of
500 EUR or 100 units from a total budget of 5000 EUR I am happy!

Am 17.05.2010 um 06:03 schrieb Shawn Rutledge:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:56 AM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
>> moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
>> welcome). So the easiest solution was to combine what we have: a
>> given
>> Beagleboard and the Freerunner case.
>
> Personally I don't see what the big deal is with mold-making.  Anybody
> could start a business doing that if it's so lucrative: get a Harbor
> Freight or other cheap milling machine and some blocks of aluminum,
> and develop the skill to do sufficiently accurate machining.  (I have
> tried a little milling but my skill level definitely needs a lot of
> improvement; maybe it will if I ever get around to doing enough of
> it.)  Of course CNC would be nice, but again, what's the big deal...3
> steppers or servo motors and a controller...  As someone else
> mentioned the Chinese obviously aren't having too much trouble with
> mold-making.

> It's also within the realm of possibility to make your own injection
> molding machine.  There is a book (Gingery) about how to do that, but
> there is nothing too exotic in that book either... it's just a heated
> cylinder and piston arrangement with a lever to apply the pressure.
> Hot plastic comes squirting out, and you have your mold clamped in
> place to receive it.
>
> Alternatives include building a RepRap, making the plastic parts
> directly, and putting up with rough, inaccurate results; buying a
> better rapid prototyping machine (FDM type or laser sintering or the
> type that builds up parts from thin laminates); or directly
> CNC-milling the cases (you could even use wood then).  As a DIY/hacker
> type thing rather than commercial, it might fly.  Maybe try to get a
> story in Make Magazine because there seems to be a trendy new crowd of
> DIY/hacker types nowadays, who weren't around a couple years ago.
>
> Or get it made at one of the rapid-prototyping shops.  For every type
> of RP technology there are multiple shops doing on-demand prototypes.
>
> In any event, the case design could be posted on
>
> http://www.thingiverse.com/
>
> and maybe someone who has a RepRap or similar can try to make a
> prototype.
>
> There was a design contest going on but I guess the time has passed:
>
> http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/04/makerbot_giveaway.html

roh

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

roh
Administrator
Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> The problem is not technology or DIY capabilities, but cost.
>
> What we want to have is a nice case achievable for everybody, not only
> the enthusiast who wants to spend time and money for experimenting
> with DIY hardware or commercial FDM.
>
> So the question is how much does a SW developer want to pay to get HW
> + Case? Let's say 50 EUR per plastic case.
>
> FDM is at least 200 EUR (that is what we got as a quotation from the
> rapid-prototyping shops for a simple part and not the whole case). Or
> 700 EUR for a Cupcake. Or 5k for a protomold made thing. Or 10-20k EUR
> for a 3D printer. A full freerunner case consists of 6 plastic parts
> (incl. 2 buttons).
>
> The other side is expectation of quality/robustness. I have been told
> by experts who own a RepRap/CupCake that the precision is not good
> enough to reproduce a Freerunner case (wall thickness 0.5mm).

true

also its much too complex.
i tried importing the 3d models into quite a lot of the free and or open
 3d and machining tools, but the shear amount of detail seems to be a
problem there.

also there are limitations of what you can do with which each
production-method:
* e.g. for reprap-alikes, all overhangs > 45deg need support structures.
* milling in 3axis means you can only 'mill from e.g. above'.. to turn
it to the side you already need a trick/mechanical help to mount it
sideways, without loosing alignment, or a 4 or 5 axis mill (i don't
think there is any free toolpath-gen for that yet)
* laser cutting heavily depend on used materials and is basically '2d
only' for the affordable machines (<50keuro)
this means designs consist out of 2d shapes.
one 'stacks' afterwards or uses creative mounting methods to hold the
shaped sheets together, like e.g. on the cupcake-cnc (makerbot)

> So if we find a method that allows to make 10 units from a budget of
> 500 EUR or 100 units from a total budget of 5000 EUR I am happy!

tricky.

we got a cnc mill (3axis, 800W spindle)
as well as a simple lasercutter (50W) here in berlin in our hackspace.
there is also a rep-rap-like printing head for thermoplastics, but thats
not completely ready yet.

the much bigger problem than machining itself, is getting a the design done.
after that one needs to get the toolpath generated.
special sw as well as expertise in that line of work is what it makes so
expensive.
milling itself isn't a very cheap form to 'produce something'. but
still, its not the time the machine is running but the worktime of the
human which makes it expensive.

if somebody has too much free time and wanna try this, check out
http://camgeeks.de/ and visit us there ;)

free and/or open tools for mechanical engineering are still not quite
'done' (yet), but there is progress.
Still they work well when you learned about their limits (or even extend
them).

ps: what about finding some 'ready made universal case' like from teko
or boppla and do some cnc coutouts for the sockets? thats much easier.

--

roh

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Vibhav Sharma
On Monday 17 May 2010 10:45 AM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
So if we find a method that allows to make 10 units from a budget of
500 EUR or 100 units from a total budget of 5000 EUR I am happy!

This may be a dumb response. But what about a machined metal (aluminium) case. These prices don't seem that bad.

http://www.emachineshop.com/machine-shop/13-98-each-at-qty-50-CNC-Mill-Size-3-x-2-x-0-5-Holder-jig/img/page573.html&img_id=664

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

GNUtoo
On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 13:05 +0200, Joachim Steiger wrote:

> also there are limitations of what you can do with which each
> production-method:
> * e.g. for reprap-alikes, all overhangs > 45deg need support
> structures.
> * milling in 3axis means you can only 'mill from e.g. above'.. to turn
> it to the side you already need a trick/mechanical help to mount it
> sideways, without loosing alignment, or a 4 or 5 axis mill (i don't
> think there is any free toolpath-gen for that yet)
> * laser cutting heavily depend on used materials and is basically '2d
> only' for the affordable machines (<50keuro)
> this means designs consist out of 2d shapes.
> one 'stacks' afterwards or uses creative mounting methods to hold the
> shaped sheets together, like e.g. on the cupcake-cnc (makerbot)
What about that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Yq3glEyec
not sure how much it cost tough.
Also not as free as cupcake or makerbot.

Denis.

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

H. Nikolaus Schaller

Am 17.05.2010 um 20:00 schrieb GNUtoo:

> On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 13:05 +0200, Joachim Steiger wrote:
>> also there are limitations of what you can do with which each
>> production-method:
>> * e.g. for reprap-alikes, all overhangs > 45deg need support
>> structures.
>> * milling in 3axis means you can only 'mill from e.g. above'.. to
>> turn
>> it to the side you already need a trick/mechanical help to mount it
>> sideways, without loosing alignment, or a 4 or 5 axis mill (i don't
>> think there is any free toolpath-gen for that yet)
>> * laser cutting heavily depend on used materials and is basically '2d
>> only' for the affordable machines (<50keuro)
>> this means designs consist out of 2d shapes.
>> one 'stacks' afterwards or uses creative mounting methods to hold the
>> shaped sheets together, like e.g. on the cupcake-cnc (makerbot)
> What about that:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Yq3glEyec
> not sure how much it cost tough.

Don't know either... Appears to be http://www.objet.com/3D-Printer/Connex500/

Results look quite good.

Machine Weight: 500 kg :)

> Also not as free as cupcake or makerbot.

Well, if results are affordable I would even accept a non-free
solution (at least as a first step)...

Nikolaus

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Martijn van Dongen
First of all: nice project, could be a nice follow up for the freerunner.

I have been looking at the discussions a little bit. Main discussion is how to make a new casing that fits around the beagle board, how to produce and what it costs.
I haven't seen a discussion about redesign of the board, the design files (schematics in Orcad) are available, so you can downsize the connectors used and fit it in an existing casing. I have a price of a PCB (without parts) at low volumes (50 pieces) at less than €15.
Assembly of low quantitiy boards will be very expensive (make it double the components price), so a DIY project for assembly of the boards will make the PCB fit for a reasonable price.

Regards,
Martijn

[...]

Yocto
> I haven't seen a discussion about redesign of the board, the design files (schematics in Orcad) are available, so you can downsize the connectors used and fit it in an existing casing.

Could we, also, consider the option of using a "smaller" board like the Gumstix Overo ?

OMAP3503 with ARM Cortex-A8 at 600MHz
256MB RAM / 256MB Flash
[ 17mm x 58mm x 4.2mm ].

Regards,
// Yocto

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

H. Nikolaus Schaller
Yes,
this all can be considered for a future version.

What we wanted to start with is something that just works, is easily available, can be used for experimenting and software development and is not too costly. A nice case, a new PCB for the OMAP processor or using the Gumstix makes things much more expensive.

@Yocto: what has to be considered is that the Gumstix does not fit into a Freerunner case (it is still too large/thick).

@ Martijn: the OMAP BGA poses high level requirements for a new PCB. So I would be surprised if one can really get such PCBs for 15 € @ 50 units. But do you have more information? What have been your assumptions about # of layers, min. drill size, min. width etc.?

Nikolaus

Am 21.05.2010 um 15:48 schrieb Yocto:

> I haven't seen a discussion about redesign of the board, the design files (schematics in Orcad) are available, so you can downsize the connectors used and fit it in an existing casing.

Could we, also, consider the option of using a "smaller" board like the Gumstix Overo ?

OMAP3503 with ARM Cortex-A8 at 600MHz
256MB RAM / 256MB Flash
[ 17mm x 58mm x 4.2mm ].

Regards,
// Yocto

Re: Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Martijn van Dongen
Nikolaus,

I agree you should first play with something that is available.

The information I got is from eurocircuit.com,
The price is based on 4 layer 150 * 60 mm; just a wild guess of the size and layers based on standard technology, but giving an indication.
More about the possibilities can be read in http://www.eurocircuits.com/images/stories/ec09/ec-services-leaflet-uk-english-4-2010-v2.pdf. I did not check any guidelines and requirements, so hard to say what suits. If somebody could provide more detailed information or point in a direction, a more serious price could be obtained.

Regards,
Martijn

Am 23.05.2010 um 15:12 schrieb Martijn van Dongen:

Nikolaus,

I agree you should first play with something that is available.

The information I got is from eurocircuit.com,
The price is based on 4 layer 150 * 60 mm; just a wild guess of the size and layers based on standard technology, but giving an indication.
More about the possibilities can be read in http://www.eurocircuits.com/images/stories/ec09/ec-services-leaflet-uk-english-4-2010-v2.pdf. I did not check any guidelines and requirements, so hard to say what suits. If somebody could provide more detailed information or point in a direction, a more serious price could be obtained.

Ok, I see. They are a pooling supplier like others (pcb-pool, multipcb, etc.), but unfortunately such a project is well outside their offer.

Just to mention some more or less important differences (I have not looked into all of them):
* PCB thickness - 1.0 mm (or it will not fit into the Freerunner case)
* 8 layers needed (or we can't connect all the many pins of the OMAP BGA)
* stacked/filled Microvias (this is something like a minimum drill of 0.1 mm)
* 0.1 mm wire width
* etching and stop mask printing precision good enough for <0.3 mm SMD pads (BGA pitch is 0.4 mm)

We have done some analyses and none of the online-pcb-shops can provide this. Therefore we asked several manufacturers by e-mail and most declined because they can't handle micro-vias. Some could do it but they said that our requirements drive PCBs cost up to factor 10. I don't know how the OpenPandora solved this (but they have produced 4000 boards so the cost may come down through to large volume). And, I don't know how the BeagleBoard project solved this. But I have read somewhere that they have only 6 layers (not using all features of the OMAP) and 3000 units per batch. Maybe, someone has also sponsored the prototyping phase where you have to produce boards at 500 EUR each. And then you find one misplaced connection or component :(

For the Openmoko Beagle Hybrid we have just 2 layers (but no OMAP on board). So cost is much lower and comes into the range you have found. But we will add some margin to cover our development and prototyping cost.

So that is the status as of today. If we can find a design that has big enough demand, we can bring down cost of PCBs to be insignificant (but only if we don't change the PCB design every now and then).

This finally will lead to the question how many of us want to own such a new OMAP based motherboard for the Freerunner... But I think we are too early to really pose this question since for solid market research, one has to present at least a full concept (complete feature list and target price).

BR,
Nikolaus

> [...]

haptics but screen operation and UMTS speed)
       • porting SHR, QtMoko, Android, etc. to ARM-Cortex A8

And here some feature list:

       • PCB that fits into Freerunner case (top cover and middle part after
cutting a hole)
       • works also without such a case (except speakers and earset)
       • Toppoly LCM interface (same display as used in the Freerunner -
otherwise it would not fit into the case)
       • TSC2007 touch screen controller
       • Microphone
       • Earset and Speaker connector (for those sitting in the Freerunner
case)
       • 2 buttons (AUX and Power)
       • 2 dual color LEDs (in the AUX and Power buttons)
       • vibracall driver
       • headset jack to connect microphone, earset and speaker

For the software, we have to rearrange the code on our server a little

Mobile Office Solutions

by Golden Delicious Computers GmbH&Co. KG

Buchenstr. 3
D-82041 Oberhaching
+49-89-54290367
AG München, HRA 89571
VAT DE253626266
Komplementär:
Golden Delicious Computers Verwaltungs GmbH
Oberhaching, AG München, HRB 16602
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Nikolaus Schaller

Digital Tools for Independent People

123