Quantcast

QtMoko v24

123

QtMoko v24

Radek Polak
Hi,
new QtMoko images v24 are out! You can download from our sourceforge [1]
or visit our homepage [2][3].

QtMoko is stable distribution combining Debian rootfs and Qtopia user
interface.

List of changes since previous stable version (v22):

- Polish translations (Tomasz Czajkowski)
- Package manager displays package version (Anton Olkhovik)
- Disabled logging by default to save flash
- In Settings->Logging can be logging started/stopped/enabled/disabled
- GUI for modem settings (deep sleep and multiplexing) in NeoControl
- GUI for call volume in NeoControl
- Fixed gsm alsa state to use recommended "Mic 2" instead of "Right PGA"
- Wifi maxperf can be turned on/off in devtools
- Automatically set wifi to maxperf when connected (Alina Friedrichsen)
- Automatically restart hcid if it crashed (Alex Samorukov)
- Removed setting sd_max_clk because it was causing problems (Alex Samorukov)
- Smaller icon for QNetWalk game - old icon was 1.5MB big !@#$%
- Fixed not found page in Arora (Alex Samorukov)
- Tab bar size and zooming as upstream Arora does (Alex Samorukov)
- Enabled web cache in Arora  (Alex Samorukov)
- Switching between USB mass storage and USB ethernet via devtools
- Disabled dimming/suspend by default

Kernel for this image is still based on 2.6.29-rc3 (andy-tracking) with
custom kernel config [4] (no debug, no preemnt and most of
Freerunner hardware drivers built in) + wifi fix is included.

One very important changes is logging. It's disable by default and can be
easily enabled or just temporarily started (until reboot). It makes the phone
startup faster (1min 45secs until GSM registered fully working phone) and more
important - it saves NAND flash from wearing off. This is quite important e.g.
when there is some bug which triggers writing to log file every second and does
a lot of writes and produces big logfiles.

Another new features are in Applications->NeoControl. You can easily setup
call volume here. Just launch the application, switch to dialer with AUX and
during call switch back to NeoControl. You can of course setup volumes without
making call if you know correct values for your phone.

You can now also setup from NeoControl if you want to use deep sleep and GSM
multiplexing. This is recommended way to set it up.

Next new feature is switching between USB ethernet and USB mass storage. There
are two scripts for it: usb-mass-storage-on.sh and usb-mass-storage-off.sh.
Both can be invoked from GUI in Devtools.

QtMoko is now translated also to Polish thanks to Tomasz. If there is
something left untranslated, patches are welcome.

QtMoko also received another great contribution from Anton Olkhovik. His J2ME
virtual machine opens up QtMoko to the world of mobile java applications. I
recommend to look at his post [5] and try application called phonetiq which
can be found in QtMoko package feed (Settings->Package manager). Also thanks
for the package version fix.

Alex Samorukov did nice work on Arora. It uses disk cache for web pages and
there some more glitches fixed thanks to him. He also contributed fix for
disapearing bluetooth after few suspend/resume. I have tested it briefly and
bluetooth seems to be good now.

Alex also found solution to problem with SD card not working as expected. See
this [6] thread. It turned out that setting sd_max_clk makes the SD card in
fact worse. Later [7] in the thread it also turned out that correctly aligned
partition table is also required for some SD cards - so watch out how you
create partitions.

And Alex was even more active - he has some fixes for better GPRS performance.
They are not yet in this release, but i hope they make it for next one.

And another thing from Alex which will hopefully done soon is support for PDF
in eyepiece. I have tested it and it works good. Just need some time to update
the package. For more info check this ticket [8].

Thanks to Alina Friedrichsen Wifi should switch to max performance mode after
connecting and should be more reliable. Thanks!

QtMoko v24 will also be soon available for Neo 1973 (GTA01) phone. I have
borrowed one from Pavel Machek and i have QtMoko running on it now. I will do
release as soon as possible also for this phone.

My plans for next release: better virtual keyboard + bluetooth headset and
A2DP + anything from you.

Thanks for all contributions also from people whom i forgot to name. Enjoy the
new images.

Cheers

Radek

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/
[2] http://qtmoko.org
[3] http://activationrecord.net/radekp/qtmoko/
[4] http://github.com/radekp/qtmoko/tree/master/devices/neo/linux_kernel/
[5] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2010-May/061857.html
[6] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2010-May/061983.html
[7] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2010-May/061992.html
[8] http://bugs.qtmoko.org/view.php?id=77

MD5SUMS:

623c282788c7e38b25bda88031130691  qtmoko-debian-v24.jffs2
4fd54768d45abae32021751721f7ff2a  qtmoko-debian-v24.tar.gz
16d1ff95b955eaf6d34f5f73aebf0e7b  uImage-v24.bin

Re: QtMoko v24

Petr Vanek
On Mon, 31 May 2010 20:48:41 +0200
Radek Polak <[hidden email]> (RP) wrote:

>Hi,
>new QtMoko images v24 are out! You can download from our sourceforge
>[1] or visit our homepage [2][3].
>
>QtMoko is stable distribution combining Debian rootfs and Qtopia user
>interface.
>
>List of changes since previous stable version (v22):

Hi Radek and all QtMoko contributors,

this sounds really great, thank you for all the hard work!

Kind Regards

Petr

Re: QtMoko v24

Tiago Bortoletto Vaz
Hi Radek,

Citando Radek Polak <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
> new QtMoko images v24 are out! You can download from our sourceforge [1]
> or visit our homepage [2][3].
[...]

Thanks for this new version. Is there any relevant change into Debian
chroot? Could I update my v22 just replacing /opt and /lib/modules,
and so pushing uImage-v24.bin?

Best regards,

--
Tiago Bortoletto Vaz

Re: QtMoko v24

Radek Polak
On Tuesday 01 June 2010 01:42:21 Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:

> Thanks for this new version. Is there any relevant change into Debian
> chroot? Could I update my v22 just replacing /opt and /lib/modules,
> and so pushing uImage-v24.bin?

Yes it should be possible, not so much has changed:

        1/ Make sure you to have following lines in /etc/modules:

g_ether
ppp_generic

        2/ Add udev rule for automatic hcid restarting:

cat > /etc/udev/rules.d/50-qtmoko.rules << __END__
# Samsung UARTS
KERNEL=="s3c2410_serial[0-9]",   NAME="ttySAC%n"

# Fix bluetooth after resume
KERNEL=="hci0", SUBSYSTEM=="bluetooth", ACTION=="add", \\
        RUN+="/opt/qtmoko/bin/btfix.sh"
__END__

        3/ Remove the line with sd_max_clk in /etc/init.d/qpe.sh

        4/ Extract new /opt

        5/ Extract new /lib/modules/ and replace/reflash kernel.

        6/ Disable logging. Either from GUI in Settings->Logging or from command
line:

update-rc.d -f klogd remove
update-rc.d -f sysklogd remove

Regards

Radek

Re: QtMoko v24

AstHrO FR-59
  Le 31/05/2010 20:48, Radek Polak a écrit :
> Hi,
> new QtMoko images v24 are out! You can download from our sourceforge [1]
> or visit our homepage [2][3].
Hi Radek & team !

I'm just totally flabegasted by the way you lead this project. I'll be
pleased to ask you some questions about you methods.
I explain : The QTMoko project goes really fast, and look like to follow
a well drawn way. Each step you made is going forward (ok some strange
things with v21/22 but who cares !).
Did you have a roadmap in your head ? because your last words where a
bit "I'll do whatever you want !", though I'm pretty sure to see a
logical step ahaed in the next version.

I'd like to see other distros goes like that. For example (and this is
only an example) why do SHR added a split screen function on the desktop
whereas a lot of  (more usefull) other things where pending ?

So tell us you receipe (except if it is copyrighted under some dark DRMs
;) )

Thanks a lot for this version, (and the 22th before !)

--
[hidden email] / Thomas HOCEDEZ

Re: Re: QtMoko v24

neo-3

> I'd like to see other distros goes like that. For example (and this is
> only an example) why do SHR added a split screen function on the desktop
> whereas a lot of  (more usefull) other things where pending ?

Maybe it was just there coming with illume2 and it needed to much work to remove it?

But thanks Radek for your work, I am very happy with using your kernel on my SHR unstable!

 Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology:
   There's always one more bug.

Re: QtMoko v24

Georgy
Hello,

Thanks for your work.

Maybe I miss something, but I'm not able anymore to ssh to the neo since I switch to V24
Seems that usb0 is not up at startup, and can not have usb0 working, neither in terminal or with devtools.
I'm using the installer from openmobile.

Georgy

Re: QtMoko v24

Georgy
Ok, I flashed my other neo with your image, and ssh works.

So, I think It's something strange with the Openmobile image.

Georgy

Re: QtMoko v24

ghislain
Georgy,

I will look into the openmobile images as soon as possible to get ssh fixed.

Ghislain
BaseTrend - openmobile.nl

Re: QtMoko v24

GarthPS
Thanks for your work!!
stupid question perhaps already asked:
Is it possible to change le name of th usb interface to be the same as other distro (like HSR :) )
i.e eth1 and not usb0
Thanks again!

2010/6/1 ghislain <[hidden email]>

Georgy,

I will look into the openmobile images as soon as possible to get ssh fixed.

Ghislain
BaseTrend - openmobile.nl

Re: QtMoko v24

Vincent MEURISSE-3
On Monday 31 May 2010 20:48:41 Radek Polak wrote:
> Hi,
> new QtMoko images v24 are out!
And so are the new debian packages!

As usual instructions are at <http://qtmoko.org/wiki/Update>. Don't forget to
backup your data before the upgrade (well I don't do it but I'm not a good
example).

If you want to disable the logging, you have to do it manually in settings >
logging.

Regards

--
Vincent Meurisse

Re: QtMoko v24

ghislain
Georgy, I just uploaded a new V24 image [1] with Radek's kernel and modules, so SSH works out-of-the-box again.
I will investigate why my custom kernel (with the only difference "bootlogo enabled") had this issue so I can enable the OM boot-logo again.

Ghislain
BaseTrend - openmobile.nl

[1] http://www.openmobile.nl/pages/downloads.php#qtm24

Re: QtMoko v24

swap38
Le 31/05/2010 20:48, Radek Polak a écrit :
> Hi,
> new QtMoko images v24 are out!

Thanks a lot to you and all contributors !
Keep up the good work :-)

--
swap38
http://openmoko-fr.org

Re: QtMoko v24

Georgy
Hello Gishlain,

Thank you for the fast work.

Work like a charme now, hope you can find it out what messed up.

Georgy

Re: QtMoko v24

Denis Johnson
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:20 AM, Petr Vanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 20:48:41 +0200
> Radek Polak <[hidden email]> (RP) wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>new QtMoko images v24 are out! You can download from our sourceforge
>>[1] or visit our homepage [2][3].
> Hi Radek and all QtMoko contributors,
> this sounds really great, thank you for all the hard work!

I would like to reiterate and thank all contributors for your ongoing efforts.

regards Denis

Re: QtMoko v24

Radek Polak
On Tuesday 01 June 2010 15:08:07 Sylvain Paré wrote:

> Is it possible to change le name of th usb interface to be the same as
> other distro (like HSR :) )
> i.e eth1 and not usb0

I dont know - i thought it depends whether you boot with uboot or qi (qi sets
the MAC address and uboot not).

What is the problem with current naming scheme?

Regards

Radek

Re: QtMoko v24

Alex Samorukov-2

Thank you very much for your efforts and this release.

This release works fine on my phone, and its very pleasant to see my
name in the contributors section :)

I`m also trying to keep wiki up to date. Now i`m working on some arora
fixes (most important one is form style bug-around to work correctly
with HTML forms), hope i`ll be able to provide patches soon.

Currently i found some (minor) problems which i think could be fixed
more or less simply.

1) I`m recommending to disable unneded and useless getty consoles in
/etc/inittab. Of course this could be done manually but IMHO its better
to modify rootfs. This will save some memory.
2) By default time sync with GSM network is enabled (ask user). Calypso
chip was never able to get time from the network (firmware bug?) and
message is always wrong (like "current time is +32, sync?"). If
confirmed then it set bogus time (in my case it was 1932). I think its
better to disable this functionality at all for GTA01/02 or at least to
change default value to 0.
3) I found that after changing color scheme in "Appearance" settings
menu qtopia catch segfault and restarting. Probably bug somewhere in qt
extended. After restart new color scheme applied, so its not critical,
but annoying.

Also i think that it does make a sense to update rootfs before creating
image, but of course its not critical also.

On 05/31/2010 08:48 PM, Radek Polak wrote:

> [...]
>
> Thanks for all contributions also from people whom i forgot to name. Enjoy the
> new images.
>
> Cheers
>
> Radek
>

> [1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/
> [2] http://qtmoko.org
> [3] http://activationrecord.net/radekp/qtmoko/
> [4] http://github.com/radekp/qtmoko/tree/master/devices/neo/linux_kernel/
> [5] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2010-May/061857.html
> [6] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2010-May/061983.html
> [7] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2010-May/061992.html
> [8] http://bugs.qtmoko.org/view.php?id=77
>

> MD5SUMS:
>
> 623c282788c7e38b25bda88031130691  qtmoko-debian-v24.jffs2
> 4fd54768d45abae32021751721f7ff2a  qtmoko-debian-v24.tar.gz
> 16d1ff95b955eaf6d34f5f73aebf0e7b  uImage-v24.bin

GT-2
Thanks for v24!

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 08:11:10AM +0200, Radek Polak wrote:
> 6/ Disable logging. Either from GUI in Settings->Logging or from command
> line:
>
> update-rc.d -f klogd remove
> update-rc.d -f sysklogd remove

I've gone for a less radical approach, as most of the loglines came from
qtopia:

in /etc/init.d/qpe.sh

change the line that starts qpe in
      qpe 2>&1 | logger -p local5.debug -t 'Qtopia'

than use /etc/syslog.conf to only log important info (see man
syslog.conf)

Gyelt

--
Arbeitstagebuch
http://ergoarte.ch/arte/blog/de_index.html

Re: QtMoko v24

qu kai
Tank you very much!

Regards
Kai

On 6/2/10, Georgy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Gishlain,
>
> Thank you for the fast work.
>
> Work like a charme now, hope you can find it out what messed up.
>
> Georgy

Sent from my mobile device

活着!

Re: QtMoko v24

Radek Polak
On Wednesday 02 June 2010 16:02:32 [hidden email] wrote:

> I've gone for a less radical approach, as most of the loglines came from
> qtopia:
>
> in /etc/init.d/qpe.sh
>
> change the line that starts qpe in
>       qpe 2>&1 | logger -p local5.debug -t 'Qtopia'
>
> than use /etc/syslog.conf to only log important info (see man
> syslog.conf)

Sure, but i have seen kernel going crazy and spamming megabytes into
/var/log/messages. So i think complete removal of loggers is more safe.

Regards

Radek

123