Quantcast

QtMoko v25 - experimental with 2.6.34 kernel

QtMoko v25 - experimental with 2.6.34 kernel

Radek Polak
Hi,
i have released experimental qtmoko image with 2.6.34 kernel based on debian
testing (squeeze). You can download tarbal from here [1]. There are no JFFS2
images for this release.

This version is not for daily use. I plan to release stable release short
after. Here is my list of problems:

- too high current in suspend (~20mA). Your battery will discharge sooner.
- no vibrator
- no touchscreen filtering - you see jitter e.g. in scribble drawing program
- no bluetooth (qtmoko needs bluez4 support)

On the other hand here is list of what is good:

- devtmpfs & upstart make it boot faster (90s on slow class 2 SD card)
- more packages thanks to newer debian (e.g. mencoder)
- no WS when switching vga->qvga
- more drivers - i saw something like combined usb network+usb mass storage

If you want to build yourself:

- kernel with config is here [2]
- /etc/init.d/qpe.sh needs modifications to be upstart compatible
- /etc/init.d/qpe.sh must create device nodes that devtmpfs does not create:

mknod /dev/ttySAC0 c 204 64 -m 660
mknod /dev/ttySAC1 c 204 65 -m 660
mknod /dev/ttySAC2 c 204 66 -m 660

- disable udev and enable qpe.sh:

update-rc.d qpe.sh defaults
update-rc.d -f udev-mtab remove
update-rc.d -f udev remove

- /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script needs to be launched with bash (dash does
not like the syntax for adding route)

- i need 3s rootdelay in /boot/append-GTA02

I hope some kernel developer will be successful with high power consumtion bug
[3]. I have spent quite some time to find out where is problem, but without
success. I think it's not problem of modem power management, because i have
ported modem power management from 2.6.29 kernel and nothing changed. I have
also tried to disable as many drivers as possible. I have tried booting with
qi and with uboot from both SD card and NAND, but nothing helped.

If this bug is not fixed, it IMO makes no sence to switch to 2.6.32 or higher
kernels.

Happy playing with this experimental release, thanks for feedback and stay
tuned for next stable release with bluetooth headset support, AGPS, youtube
videos and other cool features.

Regards

Radek

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/experimental/qtmoko-debian-
experimental-v25.tar.gz/download
[2] http://github.com/radekp/linux-2.6
[3] http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/2349

Re: QtMoko v25 - experimental with 2.6.34 kernel

Timo Juhani Lindfors
Radek Polak <[hidden email]> writes:
> If this bug is not fixed, it IMO makes no sence to switch to 2.6.32 or higher
> kernels.

Can you please run

while true; do rtcwake -s 60 -m no ; echo mem >/sys/power/state ; om battery consumption; sleep 10; done

that I suggested in the bug report? I'd like to hear if other people
get a kernel crash after a while.

Re: QtMoko v25 - experimental with 2.6.34 kernel

Davide
On Martes, 17 de Agosto de 2010 13:02:34 Radek Polak escribió:

> Hi,
> i have released experimental qtmoko image with 2.6.34 kernel based on
> debian testing (squeeze). You can download tarbal from here [1]. There are
> no JFFS2 images for this release.
>
> This version is not for daily use. I plan to release stable release short
> after. Here is my list of problems:
>
> - too high current in suspend (~20mA). Your battery will discharge sooner.
> - no vibrator
> - no touchscreen filtering - you see jitter e.g. in scribble drawing
> program - no bluetooth (qtmoko needs bluez4 support)
Thanks a lot for your work on qtmoko!

But please, don't release final version until this bug [1] is addressed.
There are a lot of people with uSD problems, making FR really really unstable
for people suffering from it...

[1] http://www.shr-project.org/trac/ticket/1143

On Tuesday 17 August 2010 13:02:34 Radek Polak wrote:

> Hi,
> i have released experimental qtmoko image with 2.6.34 kernel based on
> debian testing (squeeze).

Ohh forgot:

login: root
password: root

Regards

Radek

On Tuesday 17 August 2010 13:20:07 Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:

> Can you please run
>
> while true; do rtcwake -s 60 -m no ; echo mem >/sys/power/state ; om
> battery consumption; sleep 10; done
>
> that I suggested in the bug report? I'd like to hear if other people
> get a kernel crash after a while.

I am running it for like 30 minutes now (in console) and no crash so far.

Regards

Radek

On Tuesday 17 August 2010 14:55:15 Radek Polak wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 August 2010 13:20:07 Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> > Can you please run
> >
> > while true; do rtcwake -s 60 -m no ; echo mem >/sys/power/state ; om
> > battery consumption; sleep 10; done
> >
> > that I suggested in the bug report? I'd like to hear if other people
> > get a kernel crash after a while.
>
> I am running it for like 30 minutes now (in console) and no crash so far.

After like 1 hour i ended up with black screen and i was unable to wake neo
neither with POWER nor with USB plug/unplug.

Regards

Radek

Re: QtMoko v25 - experimental with 2.6.34 kernel

Tha_Man
Hi Radek,
I have a question about the (any) new QtMoko release. Have you tested the new kernel(s) to support Gennady Kupava's overclocked settings [1] (both using uboot and Qi)? I'm referring to the overclocked settings that don't need specific kernel modules/compilation, for example the 500Mhz setting is reported to work fine on SHR. With QtMoko v24 suspend and resume is broken with any overclocked setting, I really hope this is fixed with the next release!
Cheers, Tha_Man

[1] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2010-June/062385.html