Quantcast

QtMoko v26

12345

QtMoko v26

Radek Polak
Hello,
qtmoko has new v26 release. You can get it from our sourceforge page [1].

Qtmoko is distribution for Openmoko Freerunner phone based on debian and
qtopia. You can find more info here [2] [3] [4].

Here is list of changes since previous stable version (v24):

* Fixed WS (white screen) problem in qmplayer & QX rotation (Gennady Kupava)
* Fixed unresponsive touchscreen after resume (Gennady Kupava)
* Better mass storage scripts (Alex Samorukov)
* Use blue indicator is used for wifi activity (Alex Samorukov)
* Reconnect wifi after resume (Alex Samorukov)
* Updated QtMaze with better graphics and other enhancements (Anton Olkhovik)
* We use kernel modules for bluetooth
* QMplayer supports command line arguments (Anton Olkhovik)
* QMplayer support for youtube videos (Anton Olkhovik)
* QMplayer can encode videos suitable for Freerunner's screen
* More reliable GPRS connection (Alex Samorukov)
* Dont mount /var/cache/apt for SD card images which makes apt work better
* Working for bluetooth hands free for GSM calls
* Shell scripts that are executed on suspend/resume (Piotr Gabryjeluk)
* APGS and GPS standby support (Piotr Gabryjeluk)
* Fixed "When locked" power management mode
* Bigger QTerminal (no tabs whith only one session)
* Support for A2DP bluetooth audio
* Raptor - GUI for apt package manager
* QMplayer - support for playlists (Anton Olkhovik)
* New nice theme called finximod (Joif)
* Stripped kernel modules for saving more space
* Deleted unused dejavu fonts for more space
* Use stylesheet for better html forms rendering in Arora (Ant+Alex)
* Arora supports downloading and playing youtube videos (Anton Olkhovik)
* Arora is smaller uses tab labels and better animation (Alex Samorukov)
* Tab bar size and zooming as upstream Arora does (Alex Samorukov)
* Fixed "not found error page" in Arora (Alex Samorukov)
* We have kernel sources on github [5]
* New apps - qweather (Anton Olkhovik) and qneoriod game (Bala)
* PDF support in eyepiece (Alex Samorukov)
* Fixed crashing qdictopia (Alex Samorukov)

Most of the changes dont need comments, but some require explanation.

First of all kernel fixes from Gennady deserve big credit. Finally after years
you should not see any white screen. Watching videos in qvga and rotating X
server now works flawlessly. Thanks!

Kernel sources with current .config can be found on github [5]. Updated
instructions for building are in rootfs howto [6].

You can now watch youtube videos from Arora web browser. Nice howto is here
[7]. There is currently problem that mplayer cant handle flv files. I think this
is due to changes in youtube videos format, because it worked with apt-get
installed mplayer before. But you can download the video and encode it to mp4
in qmplayer right on the device.

QtMoko should now save AGPS data before GPS is switched off (e.g. after you end
NeronGPS). After GPS is switched on, it will supply those stored data and you
will get fast fix. AGPS data is stored in /var/cache/agpsdata.

Bluetooth headsets can be now used for both audio and GSM calls. GSM calls
needed fix because of kernel bug. The fix is userspace program gta02-gsm-bt-fix
by Gabrys and is started/stoped when handsfree connects/disconnects. There is
problem that you must have incomming call first. If you make outgoing call
first, you will have no audio. This should be fixed in newer kernels but we dont
know fix for 2.6.29 kernel used in this release.

A2DP (bluetooth audio) support works too but with some glitches. You need
headset with A2DP support. After pairing press "Supported services" from
bluetooth device context menu. New button "Connect audio (A2DP)" should then
appear. Sometimes it fails to connect. For me it help putting headset in
pairing mode, restart phone and then the button works. If you make the
bluetooth audio device default it will work in all alsa programs, but expect
problems e.g. with GSM calls. If you dont make it default GSM will be ok.
However only QMplayer can detect it and use it now.

Other changes should not need more explanation, but if you would like to know
some details i will be happy to answer questions.

Thanks for everybody who helped with this release. I hope you'll like the
changes and new features.

Cheers

Radek

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/
[2] http://qtmoko.org/
[3] http://activationrecord.net/radekp/qtmoko/
[4] http://github.com/radekp
[5] http://github.com/radekp/linux-2.6
[6]
http://github.com/radekp/qtmoko/blob/master/doc/txt/debian_rootfs_howto.txt
[7] http://activationrecord.net/radekp/pub/qtmoko_youtube_howto.jpg

Re: QtMoko v26

Radek Polak

Re: QtMoko v26

Petr Vanek
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 22:31:23 +0200
Radek Polak <[hidden email]> (RP) wrote:

>qtmoko has new v26 release. You can get it from our sourceforge page
>Thanks for everybody who helped with this release. I hope you'll like
>the changes and new features.

Radek and the team - congratulations! This progress is really, really
impressive! Thank you!

Petr

Re: QtMoko v26

Jens Seidel
On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 10:31:23PM +0200, Radek Polak wrote:
> qtmoko has new v26 release. You can get it from our sourceforge page [1].

thanks for this! I downloaded the kernel and extracted the modules from the
tgz to revive my non-booting Debian system on SD card and now it works. Great.

After a powerloss I have filesystem errors in the flash. But using the
qtmoko v26 kernel I have no access to /dev/mtdblock6 to repair I see only:

# cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00200000 00010000 "physmap-flash.0"
mtd1: 10000000 00020000 "neo1973-nand"

On SHR I got many more mtd? nodes. Where is the rootfs on flash?

PS: I would also test the new 2.6.32 (or 34) kernel of Radek. Can it be
added to the SourceForge download page? Thanks.

Jens

Re: QtMoko v26

Radek Polak
Jens Seidel wrote:

> PS: I would also test the new 2.6.32 (or 34) kernel of Radek. Can it be
> added to the SourceForge download page? Thanks.

The 2.6.34 kernel can be found in v25 tarbal in /boot and modules are in
/lib/modules. If you want just v25 kernel i have just now uploaded it there
separately. You can find it in experimental folder.

Regards

Radek

Re: QtMoko v26

Alex Samorukov-2
Great news!

Thank you very much for this, i will try to upload it to my phone today.

On 08/28/2010 10:31 PM, Radek Polak wrote:
> Hello,
> qtmoko has new v26 release. You can get it from our sourceforge page [1].
>
> Qtmoko is distribution for Openmoko Freerunner phone based on debian and
> qtopia. You can find more info here [2] [3] [4].
>
> Here is list of changes since previous stable version (v24):

Re: QtMoko v26

Joif
Please keep in mind that the "finximod" theme I made is just the first
theme I did for qtmoko and it has problem with rotated screen. If you
rotate the screen you will experience some graphical glitches. But it
works well in the default vertical orientation of the screen. Soon as I
can I will fix it and improve it!

Greetings
Joif

> Radek Polak wrote:
>

>> * New nice theme called finximod (Joif)
>>
> Btw here are screenshots:
>
> http://activationrecord.net/radekp/qtmoko/screenshots/finximod_home.png
> http://activationrecord.net/radekp/qtmoko/screenshots/finximod_dialer.png
> http://activationrecord.net/radekp/qtmoko/screenshots/finximod_menu.png
>
> Regards
>
> Radek

Re: QtMoko v26

Ed Kapitein
Radek,

A million thanks for setting up this project as successfully as you did!
I think the software on the FR is now starting to be as good
as i expected it to be when it was maintained by openmoko inc.

I will flash in about an hour, again many thanks for you and the others
that made this release
possible.

Kind regards,
Ed

> [...]

> know fix for 2.6.29 kernel used in this release.
>
> A2DP (bluetooth audio) support works too but with some glitches. You need
> headset with A2DP support. After pairing press "Supported services" from
> bluetooth device context menu. New button "Connect audio (A2DP)" should then
> appear. Sometimes it fails to connect. For me it help putting headset in
> pairing mode, restart phone and then the button works. If you make the
> bluetooth audio device default it will work in all alsa programs, but expect
> problems e.g. with GSM calls. If you dont make it default GSM will be ok.
> However only QMplayer can detect it and use it now.
>
> Other changes should not need more explanation, but if you would like to know
> some details i will be happy to answer questions.
>
> Thanks for everybody who helped with this release. I hope you'll like the

ghislain
Radek,

Thanks again for this new release and all the good work (thanks to all other contributors too!).

I've created the usual installer-image [1]

Regards,

Ghislain
BaseTrend - openmobile.nl

[1] http://www.openmobile.nl/modules/download_gallery/dlc.php?file=54

Re: QtMoko v26

Ed Kapitein
> [...]

> know fix for 2.6.29 kernel used in this release.
>
> A2DP (bluetooth audio) support works too but with some glitches. You need
> headset with A2DP support. After pairing press "Supported services" from
> bluetooth device context menu. New button "Connect audio (A2DP)" should then
> appear. Sometimes it fails to connect. For me it help putting headset in
> pairing mode, restart phone and then the button works. If you make the
> bluetooth audio device default it will work in all alsa programs, but expect
> problems e.g. with GSM calls. If you dont make it default GSM will be ok.
> However only QMplayer can detect it and use it now.
>
> Other changes should not need more explanation, but if you would like to know
> some details i will be happy to answer questions.
>
> Thanks for everybody who helped with this release. I hope you'll like the

Hi all,

        I wrote some instructions on howto install this new version,
could you please take a look at it
        and give feedback on flaws?

        Radek, is there a little corner on the qtmoko website where we
can give step-by-step installation
        instructions per distibution?

       Because i had to look in several places to find the right
combination of files i wrote it
        down for future reference and for others to enjoy:
        To get Qtmoko on the nand flash you need:
        qtmoko-debian-v26.tar.gz, this contains the root fs and the kernel
        u-boot_glamo242.udfu, this is the bootloader that enables the
new 2-4-2 timing.

        -1 extract the tarball on the flash partition
        -2 flash the new kernel onto the FR
        -3 flash the new bootloader onto the FR

        in more detail, this is what i did (in cut and paste format):

        # Get the needed files:
        cd /tmp
        wget
"http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/qtmoko/qtmoko-debian-v26.tar.gz?r=http%3A%2F%2Fsourceforge.net%2Fprojects%2Fqtmoko%2Ffiles%2F&ts=1283073440&use_mirror=sunet"
        mkdir /tmp/qtmoko
        cd /tmp/qtmoko
        tar -xzvpf ../qtmoko-debian-v26.tar.gz

        cd /tmp
        wget "http://www.bsdmn.com/openmoko/glamo/242/u-boot_glamo242.udfu"

        #Extract the tarball to the flash or SDcard.
        #i use gentoo on the FR with ip 192.168.237.202, so i extracted
it to the flash partition:
        ssh 192.168.237.202             # log in to the FR
        mount /dev/mtdblock6 /mnt/cdrom # this is the flash device
        cd /mnt/cdrom                   # important, or you might rm -rf
in the wrong place!
        rm -rf *                        # remove the old installation
        ssh -e none 192.168.237.200 cat /tmp/qtmoko-debian-v26.tar.gz |
tar -xzvpf -    # get the downloaded tarball from the usb connected PC
        exit
        ssh 192.168.237.202 init 0    # shutdown the FR, so we can flash it

        # flash the kernel, so power on the FR by pressing first POWER
and then AUX
        # if you see the boot menu on the FR, do the following on the PC
        dfu-util -a kernel -R -D /tmp/qtmoko/uImage-GTA02.bin
        dfu-util -a u-boot -R -D /tmp/u-boot_glamo242.udfu

        powerdown the FR, wait 5 seconds and press and hold POWER.
        this should now boot the v26 version.

Re: QtMoko v26

Davide
O Sábado, 28 de Agosto de 2010, Radek Polak escribiu:
> Hello,
> qtmoko has new v26 release. You can get it from our sourceforge page [1].

Congratulations!

qtmoko is getting sweeter and sweeter every version :)

I have find an annoying bug.
I cannot define timeout for suspending when plugged and when on battery.
When I change one, the other changes also...

So, or I have the phone suspending when plugged in or it doesn't suspend even
when on battery...

--
David Garabana Barro
jabber & google talk ID: [hidden email]

Re: QtMoko v26

MicVM
On 8/28/10, Radek Polak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> know fix for 2.6.29 kernel used in this release.
>
> A2DP (bluetooth audio) support works too but with some glitches. You need
> headset with A2DP support. After pairing press "Supported services" from
> bluetooth device context menu. New button "Connect audio (A2DP)" should then
> appear. Sometimes it fails to connect. For me it help putting headset in
> pairing mode, restart phone and then the button works. If you make the
> bluetooth audio device default it will work in all alsa programs, but expect
> problems e.g. with GSM calls. If you dont make it default GSM will be ok.
> However only QMplayer can detect it and use it now.
>
> Other changes should not need more explanation, but if you would like to
> know
> some details i will be happy to answer questions.
>
> Thanks for everybody who helped with this release. I hope you'll like the

Hi Radek,

Thanks for your and your team's contributions! I tested this version
and I really like it so far.
I have just some issues related to the touchscreen when in qvga mode
and the pin (dialog).

- Touchscreen: The touchscreen seems to be not calibrated such that I
can not enter any menu. I tried to recalibrate it by doing:

source /opt/qtmoko/qpe.env
qcop service send Launcher "execute(QString)" "calibrate"

from ssh but after recalibrating it, it still does not work.

- SIM PIN: Besides that with sim pin I have (but that was also with
earlier versions) sometimes problems to connect to the gsm network
(Network registration denied). The sim pin dialog with qvga is not
scaled correctly to qvga.

Thanks again for the nice release!

RE: QtMoko v26

jougnz jougnz

Thanks a lot!

On Sunday 29 August 2010 13:16:44 David Garabana Barro wrote:

> I have find an annoying bug.
> I cannot define timeout for suspending when plugged and when on battery.
> When I change one, the other changes also...
>
> So, or I have the phone suspending when plugged in or it doesn't suspend
> even when on battery..

You are right, it seems that the selection from combo is not working good. I
can set suspend interval here, but you have to have Neo unplugged from PC or
charger to set it correctly. Does it solve it for you too?

Regards

Radek

Re: QtMoko v26

Radek Polak
On Sunday 29 August 2010 17:09:24 Michele Brocco wrote:

> I have just some issues related to the touchscreen when in qvga mode
> and the pin (dialog).

Do you use that button "Switch to QVGA" in NeoControl? It was just proof of
concept more then something intended for real use ;-)

I cant remember how i calibrated the display, but i think i got it somehow
working. I'll try and tell you if i found out something interesting.

Also for qvga it would be good to use different qvga theme. I think there is
somewhere in the sources finxi-qvga which should be good.

Regards

Radek

Re: QtMoko v26

AstHrO FR-59
 Le 29/08/2010 00:22, Petr Vanek a écrit :

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 22:31:23 +0200
> Radek Polak <[hidden email]> (RP) wrote:
>
>> qtmoko has new v26 release. You can get it from our sourceforge page
>> Thanks for everybody who helped with this release. I hope you'll like
>> the changes and new features.
> Radek and the team - congratulations! This progress is really, really
> impressive! Thank you!
>
> Petr

If anyone has courage to backup a jffs2 image... I still have
difficulties to mount my FR on windows (@work)... thanks !

--
Thomas HOCEDEZ

Re: QtMoko v26

Xavier Cremaschi
Any idea to test it in qemu ? It seems great but I need to keep my phone
operational...

Re: QtMoko v26

GarthPS
I don't understand..
there is jffs2 file already here http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/

On Monday 30 August 2010 11:25:35 Xavier Cremaschi wrote:

> Any idea to test it in qemu ? It seems great but I need to keep my phone
> operational...

What about testing on SD card?

Regards

Radek

Re: QtMoko v26

Xavier Cremaschi
Le 30/08/2010 12:26, Radek Polak a écrit :

> On Monday 30 August 2010 11:25:35 Xavier Cremaschi wrote:
>
>> Any idea to test it in qemu ? It seems great but I need to keep my phone
>> operational...
>
> What about testing on SD card?
>
> Regards
>
> Radek

Why not, I just need to backup mine (or buy a new one).
But I see some reference to u-boot_glamo242.udfu, and I use qi... your
advice ?

Xavier.

12345