QtMoko v31

12

QtMoko v31

Radek Polak
Hi,
new stable qtmoko release v31 is now out. You can download images for SD card
and NAND flash from sourceforge [1] and sources from github [2].

QtMoko is distribution for Freerunner based on debian rootfs and qtopia phone
stack and GUI. For more info please see [3] and [4].

Changes since previous version:

- fixed invisible call button in finximod theme (Joif)
- translated to French (Gregoire Juge)
- updated Danish translation (Ole Carlsen)
- better layout in docked keyboard
- commented completion strip in docked keyboard
- VT not switch to graphics which fixes X hang in VT_WAITACTIVE (Gennady+Me)
- fix QX crash after pause/resume
- using openssh-server instead of dropbear again

This is first "stable" release based on kernel 2.6.34. I think nearly all
regressions to andy-tracking 2.6.29 are fixed so i will tag last commit with
2.6.29 support and will merge 2.6.34 support in master.

Docked keyboard (the one suitable for terminal) is now much better. It has
same layout as in SHR, which means you will have cursor keys on main screen.
The completion strip was IMO quite useless and wasted only space so it's now
disabled.

As for the VT fix (or hack ;-) it's now possible to use any X server with QX.
So you can install full xserver and use it instead of Xglamo which is default.

So happy new year!

Regards

Radek

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/
[2] https://github.com/radekp/qtmoko
[3] http://www.qtmoko.org/
[4] http://activationrecord.net/radekp/qtmoko/

Re: QtMoko v31

GarthPS
Thanks to every one behind this!
Happy new year too!

Sylvain

2010/12/30 Radek Polak <[hidden email]>
[...]

Ole Carlsen
Den 30-12-2010 16:40, Radek Polak skrev:
> - updated Danish translation (Ole Carlsen)

Hi Radek
I don't have any comment on v31 in general as I haven't tried it very
long yet. I though have some comment on the Danish translation as it
looks like some of the files doesn't get build, primarily those with
'Qtopia' in their name and I think there are some 7 files missing as I
did translate 88 but there are 'only' 81 in the folder.

I will probably do some testing now and return in the new year. :-)

--
Ole @ Carlsen-web.dk

Re: QtMoko v31

Hrabosh

Well done !

As to the keyboard: I really appreciate having arrow keys there (because
of command history in Terminal).

If you hit the very left key in the second row, another  keys
(end,home,arrows..) shows up - but the same keys ale already in the
default keyboard, so now they are present twice.

What about replacing these by F1-F10 keys?

BTW ... I§m the only one having difficulties using USB host mode in v31?

Zb.

Sylvain Paré píše v Pá 31. 12. 2010 v 12:58 +0100:

> Thanks to every one behind this!
> Happy new year too!
>
> Sylvain
>
> 2010/12/30 Radek Polak <[hidden email]>
>         Hi,
>         new stable qtmoko release v31 is now out. You can download
>         images for SD card
>         and NAND flash from sourceforge [1] and sources from github
>         [2].
>
>         QtMoko is distribution for Freerunner based on debian rootfs
>         and qtopia phone
>         stack and GUI. For more info please see [3] and [4].
>
>         Changes since previous version:
>
>         - fixed invisible call button in finximod theme (Joif)
>         - translated to French (Gregoire Juge)
>         - updated Danish translation (Ole Carlsen)
>         - better layout in docked keyboard
>         - commented completion strip in docked keyboard
>         - VT not switch to graphics which fixes X hang in
>         VT_WAITACTIVE (Gennady+Me)
>         - fix QX crash after pause/resume
>         - using openssh-server instead of dropbear again
>
>         This is first "stable" release based on kernel 2.6.34. I think
>         nearly all
>         regressions to andy-tracking 2.6.29 are fixed so i will tag
>         last commit with
>         2.6.29 support and will merge 2.6.34 support in master.
>
>         Docked keyboard (the one suitable for terminal) is now much
>         better. It has
>         same layout as in SHR, which means you will have cursor keys
>         on main screen.
>         The completion strip was IMO quite useless and wasted only
>         space so it's now
>         disabled.
>
>         As for the VT fix (or hack ;-) it's now possible to use any X
>         server with QX.
>         So you can install full xserver and use it instead of Xglamo
>         which is default.
>
>         So happy new year!
>
>         Regards
>
>         Radek
>

>         [1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/
>         [2] https://github.com/radekp/qtmoko
>         [3] http://www.qtmoko.org/
>         [4] http://activationrecord.net/radekp/qtmoko/

Re: QtMoko v31

Ranjit
Keep up the good work and very happy new year

Rgds
Rp

On 12/31/10, Hrabosh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well done !
>
> As to the keyboard: I really appreciate having arrow keys there (because
> of command history in Terminal).
>
> If you hit the very left key in the second row, another  keys
> (end,home,arrows..) shows up - but the same keys ale already in the
> default keyboard, so now they are present twice.
>
> What about replacing these by F1-F10 keys?
>
> BTW ... I§m the only one having difficulties using USB host mode in v31?
>
> Zb.
>

> Sylvain Paré píše v Pá 31. 12. 2010 v 12:58 +0100:
>> Thanks to every one behind this!
>> Happy new year too!
>>
>> Sylvain
>>
>> 2010/12/30 Radek Polak <[hidden email]>
>>         Hi,
>>         new stable qtmoko release v31 is now out. You can download
>>         images for SD card
>>         and NAND flash from sourceforge [1] and sources from github
>>         [2].
>>
>>         QtMoko is distribution for Freerunner based on debian rootfs
>>         and qtopia phone
>>         stack and GUI. For more info please see [3] and [4].
>>
>>         Changes since previous version:
>>
>>         - fixed invisible call button in finximod theme (Joif)
>>         - translated to French (Gregoire Juge)
>>         - updated Danish translation (Ole Carlsen)
>>         - better layout in docked keyboard
>>         - commented completion strip in docked keyboard
>>         - VT not switch to graphics which fixes X hang in
>>         VT_WAITACTIVE (Gennady+Me)
>>         - fix QX crash after pause/resume
>>         - using openssh-server instead of dropbear again
>>
>>         This is first "stable" release based on kernel 2.6.34. I think
>>         nearly all
>>         regressions to andy-tracking 2.6.29 are fixed so i will tag
>>         last commit with
>>         2.6.29 support and will merge 2.6.34 support in master.
>>
>>         Docked keyboard (the one suitable for terminal) is now much
>>         better. It has
>>         same layout as in SHR, which means you will have cursor keys
>>         on main screen.
>>         The completion strip was IMO quite useless and wasted only
>>         space so it's now
>>         disabled.
>>
>>         As for the VT fix (or hack ;-) it's now possible to use any X
>>         server with QX.
>>         So you can install full xserver and use it instead of Xglamo
>>         which is default.
>>
>>         So happy new year!
>>
>>         Regards
>>
>>         Radek
>>

>>         [1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/
>>         [2] https://github.com/radekp/qtmoko
>>         [3] http://www.qtmoko.org/
>>         [4] http://activationrecord.net/radekp/qtmoko/

Ranjit Pillai
gnumen.org

Re: QtMoko v31

Radek Polak
Hrabosh wrote:

> What about replacing these by F1-F10 keys?

Good idea. I took a quick and Fn keys are not in the table, so they should be
added there and to the layout (keyboardframe.cpp), but i dont feel now like
playing with it, so maybe later or patches welcome :)

Regards

Radek

bugs QtMoko v31

Alfa21-mobile
2010-12-30@16:40 Radek Polak

> - better layout in docked keyboard

you can now remove the folded arrows keys and make the others bigger (home, ins, del...)

bugs:
- I'm no longer able to connect to wifi and while I try I see console messages over the framebuffer graphic screen
- gprs does not connect too
- the long awaited rollback for the power profile "when locked" is still on the to-do list
- if you put qtmoko on uSD you cannot use the usb-storage because /opt/qtmoko/bin/usb-mass-storage-on.sh tries to use (and unmount) the whole uSD instead of a single partition and the root with qtmoko is on the same device

--
ALFA21 IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.

Re: bugs QtMoko v31

Radek Polak
Alfa21 wrote:

> you can now remove the folded arrows keys and make the others bigger (home,
> ins, del...)

Well it's just half of normal key, so you can make just one button 50% wider.
Maybe the folded are could have some good use - fn keys or something else.
Let's give it a few more days what people will come with. But removing that
key is for sure good option.

> bugs:
> - I'm no longer able to connect to wifi and while I try I see console
> messages over the framebuffer graphic screen - gprs does not connect too

No longer means that in v30 it worked? I dont see any messages and my wifi
connects. Maybe we have different setup? Do you use qi or uboot?

I have tested both gprs and wifi and it works, also it works for others. We
have to find out what is wrong. Please give as much details as possible.

> - the long awaited rollback for the power profile "when locked" is still on
> the to-do list

I was trying to look at it and at first sight i havent found what is wrong. I
have to find the discussion we had last time to refresh my memory.

> - if you put qtmoko on uSD you cannot use the usb-storage
> because /opt/qtmoko/bin/usb-mass-storage-on.sh tries to use (and unmount)
> the whole uSD instead of a single partition and the root with qtmoko is on
> the same device

Any ideas how to solve this?

Regards

Radek

Re: bugs QtMoko v31

marco-2
Hi Radek,
 amazing work as always, this version is as faster as ever.
Everything's working fine, except a few glitches when using
programs under QX. In particular even if I select "Use virtual
keyboard" in the setting, it still doesn't appear; also,
even when selecting "use window manager" there's no window
around the application, so the only way to close the application
is pressing the AUX button.

Again, thank for all your efforts and support!!

--
Marco

Re: bugs QtMoko v31

Radek Polak
Marco wrote:

> Everything's working fine, except a few glitches when using
> programs under QX. In particular even if I select "Use virtual
> keyboard" in the setting, it still doesn't appear;

It has simple workaround. Go to the textbox (which reads "xterm") and switch
to docked keyboard there. Now when you launch your app the docked keyboard
should appear.

> even when selecting "use window manager" there's no window
> around the application, so the only way to close the application
> is pressing the AUX button.

The default window manager in QX is very simple (just a few lines). It just
handles window size so that it does not redraw qtopia toolbar. If you need
real window manager, you can select "use matchbox" in app settings.

Regards

Radek

Re: bugs QtMoko v31

Yoric Kotchukov
>> - the long awaited rollback for the power profile "when locked" is still on
>> the to-do list

> I was trying to look at it and at first sight i havent found what is wrong. I
> have to find the discussion we had last time to refresh my memory.

>- Power management still confuses or loses battery/cable settings, only "when locked" settings work.

In $HOME/Settings/Trolltech/qpe.conf paste "Lock/External/BatteryPower" settings from previously working version, and do not run "Settings/Power management".
Thank you for your attention.

Re: bugs QtMoko v31

Nashvin Gangaram
Hi Radek

Everything's working great in QtMoko v31... except for Eyepiece.

I get an error:
"Error: cannot load plugin"
when trying to open PDF files.  Is libdjvulibre21 required to view PDF files now?

Thanks
-Nashvin

Re: bugs QtMoko v31

Radek Polak
Nashvin Gangaram wrote:

> Hi Radek
>
> Everything's working great in QtMoko v31... except for Eyepiece.
>
> I get an error:
> "Error: cannot load plugin"
> when trying to open PDF files.  Is libdjvulibre21 required to view PDF
> files now?

Yup it's needed for PDF files. Eyepiece should install it on the first run, but
if that somehow does not work, you can install manually with apt-get from
command line.

Regards

Radek

Re: bugs QtMoko v31

Hrabosh

BTW ... mine Eyepiece did ask for some aditional libraries on the first
run and then succesfully apt-got them.

Zb.

Radek Polak píše v St 05. 01. 2011 v 10:34 +0100:

> Nashvin Gangaram wrote:
>
> > Hi Radek
> >
> > Everything's working great in QtMoko v31... except for Eyepiece.
> >
> > I get an error:
> > "Error: cannot load plugin"
> > when trying to open PDF files.  Is libdjvulibre21 required to view PDF
> > files now?
>
> Yup it's needed for PDF files. Eyepiece should install it on the first run, but
> if that somehow does not work, you can install manually with apt-get from
> command line.
>
> Regards
>
> Radek

Re: QtMoko v31

sferic

I would like to use the new QtMoko v31 as my Dailly-Phone on NAND parallel to two other Distros and a big Documents-Partition on my SD-Card. Till v26 I could boot QtMoko over U-Boot 1.3.2-moko 12 (AUX + Power) and the other two over Qi (Power with or without AUX). With the new v31 this is no longer possible: When I try to boot v31 with U-Boot, I get the Message "No kernel Image" (or similar, the message shows only very short befor the U-Boot-Menu shows up again). From the Discussion around v28 I have learned, that I have to change the bootargs_base to use the new ubifs. I think, I have done this right (with the parameters from v28) but with no success. When I remove my SD-Card I can boot to v31 (with the new Qi).

Please tell me the right parameters for U-Boot to use with v31 (and maybe the right way to set them, when I'm logged into U-Boot?  - sorry for this NOOB-Question...), or what else could be wrong?

Thanks in advance
Sferic

Re: QtMoko v31

Alexander Lehner

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011, sferic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use the new QtMoko v31 as my Dailly-Phone on NAND parallel
> to two other Distros and a big Documents-Partition on my SD-Card. Till v26 I
> could boot QtMoko over U-Boot 1.3.2-moko 12 (AUX + Power) and the other two
> over Qi (Power with or without AUX). With the new v31 this is no longer
> possible: When I try to boot v31 with U-Boot, I get the Message "No kernel
> Image" (or similar, the message shows only very short befor the U-Boot-Menu
> shows up again). From the Discussion around v28 I have learned, that I have
> to change the bootargs_base to use the new ubifs. I think, I have done this
> right (with the parameters from v28) but with no success. When I remove my
> SD-Card I can boot to v31 (with the new Qi).
>
> Please tell me the right parameters for U-Boot to use with v31 (and maybe
> the right way to set them, when I'm logged into U-Boot?  - sorry for this
> NOOB-Question...), or what else could be wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Sferic

I have exactly the same problem.
But I even cannot boot into Qt without sdCard.
Holding power longer prints some debug messages and the reason is,
that the ubifs could not be mounted.

The funny thing is, that it worked on another phone with the same set-up.
The only difference I found is the 'pcb_rev=0x001' environment setting of
u-boot...

Alex.

Re: QtMoko v31

Gennady Kupava
В Птн, 07/01/2011 в 03:16 -0800, sferic пишет:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use the new QtMoko v31 as my Dailly-Phone on NAND parallel
> to two other Distros and a big Documents-Partition on my SD-Card. Till v26 I
> could boot QtMoko over U-Boot 1.3.2-moko 12 (AUX + Power) and the other two
> over Qi (Power with or without AUX). With the new v31 this is no longer
> possible: When I try to boot v31 with U-Boot, I get the Message "No kernel
> Image" (or similar, the message shows only very short befor the U-Boot-Menu
> shows up again). From the Discussion around v28 I have learned, that I have
> to change the bootargs_base to use the new ubifs. I think, I have done this
> right (with the parameters from v28) but with no success. When I remove my
> SD-Card I can boot to v31 (with the new Qi).
>
> Please tell me the right parameters for U-Boot to use with v31 (and maybe
> the right way to set them, when I'm logged into U-Boot?  - sorry for this
> NOOB-Question...), or what else could be wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Sferic

Hi, you should never use NOR u-boot for anything expect dfu-flashing.

Reason: bootloader is important because it inits hw on boot and on
resume. for example according to my measurements power consumption in
suspend with nor-uboot is much higher. some things are really not
controlled by kernel: bootloader inits something and kernel uses as it
were init (many such things, any serial line is example). This may cause
any kind of problems, which you'll never notice on first glance - power
consumption, memory timings, anything else.

If you really like u-boot, just flash it to nand and enjoy (i am
maintaining working version
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/U-boot-gena2x ), it should work with all
qtmokos or other distros.

It is realatively easy to reflash nor u-boot btw.

Gennady

Re: QtMoko v31

Radek Polak
sferic wrote:

> I would like to use the new QtMoko v31 as my Dailly-Phone on NAND parallel
> to two other Distros and a big Documents-Partition on my SD-Card. Till v26
> I could boot QtMoko over U-Boot 1.3.2-moko 12 (AUX + Power) and the other
> two over Qi (Power with or without AUX). With the new v31 this is no
> longer possible

The problem is that qtmoko kernel image is now larger then 2MB uboot limit.
And it is also recommended to not use uboot from NOR for booting the phone.  I
dont know the details, but NOR uboot loader was said to be bugged and you will
also get worse performance then with qi from qtmoko download page (because of
glamo 242 timings).

I am afraid that nobody will try to solve problem with old uboot that cant be
reflashed, this uboot is only good for dfu-util flashing.

You can try new uboot that is maintained by Gennady, it should work good:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/U-boot-gena2x

or you can keep with qi and try switching partitions with AUX (which is quite
tricky but works).

Regards

Radek

Re: bugs QtMoko v31

Alfa21-mobile
2011-01-01@18:07 Radek Polak
> > - I'm no longer able to connect to wifi and while I try I see console
> > messages over the framebuffer graphic screen - gprs does not connect too
>
> No longer means that in v30 it worked? I dont see any messages and my wifi
> connects. Maybe we have different setup? Do you use qi or uboot?
>
> I have tested both gprs and wifi and it works, also it works for others. We
> have to find out what is wrong. Please give as much details as possible.

sorry, with wifi I was out of the covered range due of interferences from a cordless phone near the antenna: in other words it's ok!

btw I do see console messages through the framebuffer screen (like white terminal line over the graphic gui) every time I enable/disable the wifi connection.
maybe it's related to the vt switch?

about the gprs the problem is the multiplexer: when it's enabled it's not possible to use the gprs data connection.
when you turn off the multiplexer it's ok but it's highly probable to loose sms or calls.

> > - the long awaited rollback for the power profile "when locked" is still on
> > the to-do list
>
> I was trying to look at it and at first sight i havent found what is wrong. I
> have to find the discussion we had last time to refresh my memory.

the culprit is the "on lock" scenario because all the profiles (general, silent, meeting...etc) could support different power management properties each, but maybe the saved array does not take in account a third choice other than on cable and on battery and so begin the chaos both in the gui and in the actual values used in memory.

by now it'd be safe to rollback to the original state and forget about the "on lock" buggy feature.
we can achieve the same feature just configuring ad-hoc different profiles.

the current implementation has too much negative side effects.

> > - if you put qtmoko on uSD you cannot use the usb-storage
> > because /opt/qtmoko/bin/usb-mass-storage-on.sh tries to use (and unmount)
> > the whole uSD instead of a single partition and the root with qtmoko is on
> > the same device
>
> Any ideas how to solve this?

I sent to you an early suggested workaround: in the current "on" script you have to specify a single partition instead of the whole uSD
eg: my current partition table is mmcblk0p1=/media/card (fat32 used as usb storage), p2=/ (qtmoko root), p3=swap (little extra memory).
in the script I've specified to use only p1 and commented out / modified all the mount checks because they works only with a whole device in mind.

I'm not saying this is a nice solution but at least it does not destroy your qtmoko/root filesystem! (->dangerous only if you have qtmoko on uSD too)

kind regards and good year to all folks!
--
ALFA21 IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.

Re: QtMoko v31

Yoric Kotchukov
Saluto!
I report:
Russian input and output in terminal is ":;?//::;;:"
In Notes russian is good.