RE: How to get serial port connection to Neo Freerunner? / SOLVED

RE: How to get serial port connection to Neo Freerunner? / SOLVED

Dave Schmidt
...and sorry for not being able to send email neither,

> Answer found, sorry for doing it only AFTER posting :)
> I am (was) missing the debug board and
and ftdi_sio module.

After doing

sudo rmmod ftdi_sio
sudo modprobe ftdi_sio vendor=0x1457 product=0x5118

the debugging board is recognized:

ftdi_sio 2-2.1:1.1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
usb 2-2.1: Detected FT2232C
usb 2-2.1: Number of endpoints 2
usb 2-2.1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
usb 2-2.1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
usb 2-2.1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
usb 2-2.1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Thanks for patience! :)

D.

Re: How to get serial port connection to Neo Freerunner? / SOLVED

Al Johnson
Am I right in thinking you're using the debug board to get a serial port level
shifted to 3.3V, and connecting that to the Calypso serial interface through
the headset jack?

On Tuesday 29 March 2011, Dave Schmidt wrote:

> ...and sorry for not being able to send email neither,
>
> > Answer found, sorry for doing it only AFTER posting :)
> > I am (was) missing the debug board and
>
> and ftdi_sio module.
>
> After doing
>
> sudo rmmod ftdi_sio
> sudo modprobe ftdi_sio vendor=0x1457 product=0x5118
>
> the debugging board is recognized:
>
> ftdi_sio 2-2.1:1.1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
> usb 2-2.1: Detected FT2232C
> usb 2-2.1: Number of endpoints 2
> usb 2-2.1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
> usb 2-2.1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
> usb 2-2.1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
> usb 2-2.1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
>
> Thanks for patience! :)
>
> D.

Re: How to get serial port connection to Neo Freerunner? / SOLVED

Dave Schmidt
Hi Al and the list,

> From: Al Johnson on 03/29/11 03:17 PM

> Am I right in thinking you're using the debug board to get a serial port level
> shifted to 3.3V, and connecting that to the Calypso serial interface through
> the headset jack?

No... I do not fully understand your question, which probably means
I'm not trying THAT :)

What I understand now, is that for my purpose (running osmocon on
the phone) serial connection is not needed, as in OpenMoko case the
communication happens via TCP socket as explained in
http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/OpenMoko . Thanks anyway!

D.

On Monday 04 April 2011, Dave Schmidt wrote:

> Hi Al and the list,
>
> > From: Al Johnson on 03/29/11 03:17 PM
> >
> > Am I right in thinking you're using the debug board to get a serial port
> > level shifted to 3.3V, and connecting that to the Calypso serial
> > interface through the headset jack?
>
> No... I do not fully understand your question, which probably means
> I'm not trying THAT :)
>
> What I understand now, is that for my purpose (running osmocon on
> the phone) serial connection is not needed, as in OpenMoko case the
> communication happens via TCP socket as explained in
> http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/OpenMoko . Thanks anyway!

The Calypso in the OpenMokos has two serial interfaces. One is connected to
the cpu and appears as /dev/ttySAC0, and the other is connected to the headset
jack socket.

According to their wiki[1][2] osmocon connects to the calypso through either
of these serial ports, and provides a socket interface. If you run osmocon on
the phone the obvious port to use is /dev/ttySAC0. If you were running osmocon
on a separate machine you would connect via the headphone jack instead, just
as you would for most of the other supported handsets[3]. The debug board
contains a USB serial interface that can be used to connect to the headset
jack socket[4], so when you mentioned the debug board I assumed you were using
this method.

[1] http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/osmocon
[2] http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/CalypsoRomloader
[3] http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/CalypsoSerialCable