RFC: delete SH1 FAQ

Michael Shiloh-3
Unless we have an entirely separate place for archives, this clutters up
the wiki:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/SH1_FAQ

Re: RFC: delete SH1 FAQ

Minh Ha Duong
Le samedi 30 août 2008, Michael Shiloh a écrit :
> Unless we have an entirely separate place for archives,

You mean a namespace. No we don't have that.

> this clutters up the wiki:
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/SH1_FAQ

I checked the page. +1 for deletion.

Minh

Re: RFC: delete SH1 FAQ

Cesar Eduardo Barros
Michael Shiloh escreveu:
> Unless we have an entirely separate place for archives, this clutters up
> the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/SH1_FAQ

We could easily create one; move it to something like
[[Archives/SH1_FAQ]] and decree all subpages of [[Archives]] to be
historical pages.

[[SH1]] and [[SH1 FAQ]] have some historical interest, due to being the
URL in the "coaster" sent with the GTA01.

--
Cesar Eduardo Barros

Re: RFC: delete SH1 FAQ

Ferenc Veres
Hi,

Cesar Eduardo Barros írta, 2008-08-30 21:20 keltezéssel:

> Michael Shiloh escreveu:
>> Unless we have an entirely separate place for archives, this clutters up
>> the wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/SH1_FAQ
>
> We could easily create one; move it to something like
> [[Archives/SH1_FAQ]] and decree all subpages of [[Archives]] to be
> historical pages.
>
> [[SH1]] and [[SH1 FAQ]] have some historical interest, due to being the
> URL in the "coaster" sent with the GTA01.

"SH1" will stay I think.

Earlier today I mailed the author of the linked and related:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Shipping_Notes

asking whether that's still something useful for ones ordering phone
today, and if not, whether we could delete it. Outdated ordering
information is worse than anything else, because it leads to trouble too
early. ;-D Waiting for reply from author.

Documents which are popular enough to be linked from many places should
be kept. Even if they are outdated. (Getting started guides, etc.)

Delete SH1 FAQ: +1.

Anyway, delete proposals are here, please vote sometime: :-)
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wiki_Issues#Pages_proposed_for_deletion

Michael: you could use the Editing template on the FAQ. ;-) Is it too
big? :-D
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Template:Editing

Regards,
Ferenc

roh

Re: RFC: delete SH1 FAQ

roh
Administrator
hi michael.

only one thing: we should check in general what we 'printed on paper'
delivered with devices.
i dunno exactly what urls and email addresses are that for gta02, but
gta01 was delivered with a piece of cardboard only in a white 'box'.

it points to 'wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/SH1' (one should note the missing
http:// ?!)
whatever you do with 'such pages' (mark it 'ancient' or 'from gta01
times' and point out where the archive is) there should be some page
under that url explaining to people whats up. (or was up)

eventually somebody should make and maintain a list of stuff like urls
and email addresses printed  a) by software 'from factory' and b) on
paper/cardboard accompanying what we ship, so we can see which ones make
sense to keep and which ones are 'dropable' (like the help@brokenmoko
email addr (14 day DOA on gta01), which are over for sure)

this is just what popped up in my mind when reading this mail, so i
dunno what other's thoughts are about that.

its just that such a list would help everybody (especially us admins) to
know which 'pointers' we should keep working for whatever time. ;)

kind regards.

--

Joachim Steiger
Openmoko Central Services

Re: RFC: delete SH1 FAQ

Michael Shiloh-3
Cesar Eduardo Barros wrote:

> Michael Shiloh escreveu:
>> Unless we have an entirely separate place for archives, this clutters
>> up the wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/SH1_FAQ
>
> We could easily create one; move it to something like
> [[Archives/SH1_FAQ]] and decree all subpages of [[Archives]] to be
> historical pages.
>
> [[SH1]] and [[SH1 FAQ]] have some historical interest, due to being the
> URL in the "coaster" sent with the GTA01.

The problem I have with this is that it clutters up the namespace, the
index, the categories, etc.

For example one of the top complaints we get is that it is hard for new
users to find answers to simple questions. More pages simply makes it
less likely.

Re: RFC: delete SH1 FAQ

Michael Shiloh-3
Ferenc Veres wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Cesar Eduardo Barros írta, 2008-08-30 21:20 keltezéssel:
>> Michael Shiloh escreveu:
>>> Unless we have an entirely separate place for archives, this clutters up
>>> the wiki:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/SH1_FAQ
>> We could easily create one; move it to something like
>> [[Archives/SH1_FAQ]] and decree all subpages of [[Archives]] to be
>> historical pages.
>>
>> [[SH1]] and [[SH1 FAQ]] have some historical interest, due to being the
>> URL in the "coaster" sent with the GTA01.
>
> "SH1" will stay I think.
>
> Earlier today I mailed the author of the linked and related:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Shipping_Notes
>
> asking whether that's still something useful for ones ordering phone
> today, and if not, whether we could delete it. Outdated ordering
> information is worse than anything else, because it leads to trouble too
> early. ;-D Waiting for reply from author.
>
> Documents which are popular enough to be linked from many places should
> be kept. Even if they are outdated. (Getting started guides, etc.)

Not sure I agree with this. Could be that those linking pages are
misguided or possibly candidates for deletion themselves.

> Delete SH1 FAQ: +1.

Enough of us voted. I've deleted.

> Anyway, delete proposals are here, please vote sometime: :-)
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wiki_Issues#Pages_proposed_for_deletion

The trouble with this is that I don't know when the voting took place,
or what the reasons were. I prefer to have a 1-2 day discussion on the
list, then make a decision.

But I will use this list to help me decide what to delete next.

> Michael: you could use the Editing template on the FAQ. ;-) Is it too
> big? :-D
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Template:Editing

Didn't know about it. Thanks!

Re: RFC: delete SH1 FAQ

Michael Shiloh-3
Joachim Steiger wrote:

> hi michael.
>
> only one thing: we should check in general what we 'printed on paper'
> delivered with devices.
> i dunno exactly what urls and email addresses are that for gta02, but
> gta01 was delivered with a piece of cardboard only in a white 'box'.
>
> it points to 'wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/SH1' (one should note the missing
> http:// ?!)
> whatever you do with 'such pages' (mark it 'ancient' or 'from gta01
> times' and point out where the archive is) there should be some page
> under that url explaining to people whats up. (or was up)
>
> eventually somebody should make and maintain a list of stuff like urls
> and email addresses printed  a) by software 'from factory' and b) on
> paper/cardboard accompanying what we ship, so we can see which ones make
> sense to keep and which ones are 'dropable' (like the help@brokenmoko
> email addr (14 day DOA on gta01), which are over for sure)
>
> this is just what popped up in my mind when reading this mail, so i
> dunno what other's thoughts are about that.
>
> its just that such a list would help everybody (especially us admins) to
> know which 'pointers' we should keep working for whatever time. ;)

Good point Roh. I'll try to get this together, but it would probably be
better done by someone more related to the factory process.
Unfortunately I don't know any of them.

Have you had a chance to make my openmoko-es mailing list?

Thanks,
Michael

Re: RFC: delete SH1 FAQ

Minh Ha Duong
Hi,

  Deleting a page is a harsh measure. May I suggest an gentler archiving
procedure along the following steps:

1. Create a template "ArchivedObsolete" along the following lines:

"This page was deleted because its content was obsolete. You can always use
the `history' tab to look at old content. "

2. Replace the whole content of the page with the template.

3. Eventually provide a few links to more up to date information. Or not.

4. Lock the page.

Minh

Re: RFC: delete SH1 FAQ

Michael Shiloh-3
Minh Ha Duong wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Deleting a page is a harsh measure. May I suggest an gentler archiving
> procedure along the following steps:
>
> 1. Create a template "ArchivedObsolete" along the following lines:
>
> "This page was deleted because its content was obsolete. You can always use
> the `history' tab to look at old content. "
>
> 2. Replace the whole content of the page with the template.
>
> 3. Eventually provide a few links to more up to date information. Or not.
>
> 4. Lock the page.

Minh makes a good point. Will such a page show up in a search? Reason I
ask is one of my guiding principles is to reduce the clutter when
looking for information. I think the two main ways to look for
information will be (1) search box (2) categories. Since you suggest we
replace the entire contents with the template, we remove this pages
membership from any category, but will the name of the page still be
found by the search box? I think so.

Re: RFC: delete SH1 FAQ

Minh Ha Duong
> Minh Ha Duong wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   Deleting a page is a harsh measure. May I suggest an gentler archiving
>> procedure along the following steps:
>>
>> 1. Create a template "ArchivedObsolete" along the following lines:
>>
>> "This page was deleted because its content was obsolete. You can always
>> use
>> the `history' tab to look at old content. "
>>
>> 2. Replace the whole content of the page with the template.
>>
>> 3. Eventually provide a few links to more up to date information. Or
>> not.
>>
>> 4. Lock the page.
>>

> Minh makes a good point. Will such a page show up in a search? Reason I
> ask is one of my guiding principles is to reduce the clutter when
> looking for information. I think the two main ways to look for
> information will be (1) search box (2) categories. Since you suggest we
> replace the entire contents with the template, we remove this pages
> membership from any category, but will the name of the page still be
> found by the search box? I think so.

3. If it's a redirect it will not show up in search results by default.

Else we may try to prefix the page name with "Zzapped/" so that they show
up last in alphabetical listings, and it's clear to the reader that they
are gone. But that break incoming URLs. I looked in the Mediawiki handbook
for a code to prevent pages to be searched but did not found any. Maybe
Cesar knows it ?

Minh

Re: RFC: delete SH1 FAQ

Ferenc Veres
Hi,

[hidden email] írta, 2008-09-01 21:11 keltezéssel:
> Else we may try to prefix the page name with "Zzapped/" so that they show
> up last in alphabetical listings, and it's clear to the reader that they
> are gone. But that break incoming URLs.

Category inclusion has a parameter for sorting. E.g.

[[Category:Hardware|ZZZ]]

will move it to the end, but don't change the name. WLAN is good
candidate for archiving (or even rephrasing purpose and KEEPING*), but
please let's keep on deleting useless stuff.

This format will take out category "master" articles to the top (before
section "A"):

[[Category:Hardware| ]]

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Category#Sort_order

Regards,
Ferenc

* It's an article where various people provided information about
possible WLAN chips. It is never outdated, what if the developers need a
good collection for another hardware, another chip? We could simply
CHANGE the purpose of the page to:

This page collects information about possible WLAN chips for future
products. The Neo FreeRunner is using the Atheros AR6K 802.11 b/g. See
[[GTA02 WLAN]].

?