Re: schematics in PDF form?

Werner Almesberger
Hadyn van der Berg wrote:
> Can I ask, what format this is in?  I'm presuming GZIP , but I'm struggling
> to open it.

It's gzip'ed Postscript. Viewers like "gv" can open it directly.
If your Postscript viewer doesn't uncompress on the fly, you have
to gunzip it first, yes.

> Is there any document about what the plan is for the new board?  Based on
> which existing hardware, improvements to be made, etc.

It's basically a GTA02v7 with some relatively small improvements.
The biggest one is removal of the Glamo. Details are here:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Gta02-core

The goal of this project is not to make the next great phone, but
to open the hardware development process. Therefore, we do this
with a well-known design so that we can focus on the process and
don't have to solve too many problems at the same time.

Also, Openmoko Inc. has generously offered to donate some GTA02
components, which will solve the sourcing problem. And this is
one more reason for staying very close to the GTA02 design.

The output of gta02-core will only be a few prototypes. The
number will be largely determined by how many components we can
get from Openmoko Inc. and also how many people will be interested
in having such a prototype.

Having said all this, gta02-core should only be the first step
towards a real product. I can envision many improvements and even
quite radical changes that could be made based on the experience
we gather with gta02-core and the tools we develop for it. Also,
having completed a successful prototype run will give us more
credibility for follow-on projects, which will help with sourcing.

Re: schematics in PDF form?

Werner Almesberger
[ Cc to the gta03 list added ]

Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> This list is meant for GTA02 (+gta01?) hw issues/topics.

I guess that's the problem with this sort of list - you can never
be quite sure what it's about :-) E.g., on the kernel lst, we also
had stuff for GTA03-6410, and it didn't seem out of place. Of
course, the kernel is per se shared, while hardware projects don't
necessarily have one big project tree.

I agree that a list called "gta03" is not an ideal home for a
project called "gta02-core", and I'd also be unhappy if the talk
about gta02-core would prevent discussion about other projects or
project ideas.

I believe there is room for a lot more projects than gta02-core,
be it in parallel or as successors. So having a place to discuss
them is valuable. One might actually just rename "gta03" to
"future", to make it clear :-)

There is a risk that having discussions of different projects
mixed on a single list will cause confusion. E.g., if three
projects, let's say Openmoko's GTA02, gta02-core, and JoergPhone,
all share "hardware", it will be mighty confusing if someone
starts discussing the USB current without precisely identifying
the project in each and every mail.

On the other hand, the more lists you have, the more crossposts
and discussions happening on the wrong list.

So, all things considered, I think creating a new list for
gta02-core makes sense. I'm not sure what to go with the gta03
list, if anything.

Opinions ?

Re: schematics in PDF form?

Manfred Hansen
On Saturday 06 June 2009 18:28:07 Werner Almesberger wrote:

> [ Cc to the gta03 list added ]
>
> Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> > This list is meant for GTA02 (+gta01?) hw issues/topics.
>
> I guess that's the problem with this sort of list - you can never
> be quite sure what it's about :-) E.g., on the kernel lst, we also
> had stuff for GTA03-6410, and it didn't seem out of place. Of
> course, the kernel is per se shared, while hardware projects don't
> necessarily have one big project tree.
>
> I agree that a list called "gta03" is not an ideal home for a
> project called "gta02-core", and I'd also be unhappy if the talk
> about gta02-core would prevent discussion about other projects or
> project ideas.
>
> I believe there is room for a lot more projects than gta02-core,
> be it in parallel or as successors. So having a place to discuss
> them is valuable. One might actually just rename "gta03" to
> "future", to make it clear :-)
>
> There is a risk that having discussions of different projects
> mixed on a single list will cause confusion. E.g., if three
> projects, let's say Openmoko's GTA02, gta02-core, and JoergPhone,
> all share "hardware", it will be mighty confusing if someone
> starts discussing the USB current without precisely identifying
> the project in each and every mail.
>
> On the other hand, the more lists you have, the more crossposts
> and discussions happening on the wrong list.
>
> So, all things considered, I think creating a new list for
> gta02-core makes sense. I'm not sure what to go with the gta03
> list, if anything.
>
> Opinions ?
>
> - Werner

I personally prefer newsgroups. It's easier to handle.

Manfred

Re: schematics in PDF form?

Werner Almesberger
Manfred Hansen wrote:
> I personally prefer newsgroups. It's easier to handle.

"Tea or coffee ?"
"Cheese."

;-)))

- Werner (fondly remembers the days of trn, nn, ... ;-)