SAMSUNG - possible project - help needed

SAMSUNG - possible project - help needed

leviathan
Hello list

Some of you know me perhaps as leviathan.
I'm mailing to this list in behalf of my company to inform you, that we plan to offer a project to Samsung, which would also involve all kind of developers.

The idea is to pilot a new Openmoko like platform, based on SAMSUNG-Omnia.
The plan is to provide full hardware support by the upstream kernel, and a full SHR-userspace on the shipped phone.
The target customers will be business employees, but also private users.
So we need a realistic business model and also a realistic design.

My company is willed to invest some money into the project.
But for successing we will need the cooperation of engineers, who has already worked on OpenMoko and who are familiar with common problems in this area.

In order to accomplish this, we would need some informations
and your precious knowledge acquired during the Openmoko project
What is your suggestion for this feature list?
Components proposition would be very nice.

You can interprete this propositions as realistic wishlist, I will put into a block diagramm, which will be shown in a presentation around next week.
I hope they will buy the idea, and give feedback soon.
If everything goes well, selected developers (people I know, they will really do development) will recieve prototypes for starting writing the drivers and modify'n the userspace.

Here are the required hardware features:
        - GPS
        - GSM, EDGE, GPRS, UMTS, HSDPA
        - RAM
        - CPU
        - SD-card
        - Touchscreen
        - Wifi
        - Bluetooth

[* I'm not using it, but its requested ;-)]
And the required software features:
        - Exchange synchronisation *
        - Outlook synchronisation *
        - Handy Calendar

I know, that you will ask, why they should start developing on another platform while they're already working on BADA and Linux/EFL.
The answer is simple: Contacts.
And this email is just for preparation for a presentation on a meeting with some important managers, who's names I'm not allowed to tell on a public mailing list. (Privacy)
In fact there is not guaranty yet, that they will buy the project.

with the best regards
        David Lanzendöfer (aka. leviathan)

Re: SAMSUNG - possible project - help needed

Werner Almesberger
David Lanzend?rfer wrote:
> The idea is to pilot a new Openmoko like platform, based on SAMSUNG-Omnia.

Sounds good. What exactly do you plan to reuse ? Selected components ?
Most of the circuit ? Case ? ...

> The plan is to provide full hardware support by the upstream kernel, and
> a full SHR-userspace on the shipped phone.

Sounds even better :-)

> The target customers will be business employees, but also private users.
> So we need a realistic business model and also a realistic design.

Yup, both help :)

> What is your suggestion for this feature list?
> Components proposition would be very nice.

Since you'll build on the Omnia, perhaps the component list should
start with the components you must/intend to reuse from the existing
design ?

> Here are the required hardware features:
[...]
> - SD-card

uSD ? (Or does anyone still use full-sized SD ?)

> - Touchscreen

Resistive, capacitative, undecided ?

You didn't mention the LCM. Also, how about buttons ? Camera ?

What about internal NAND ? Would you have some and if yes, for what
would you use it ? In particular, from what media would the system
boot ?

Then there is connectivity. I.e., analog audio, what type of USB,
serial console, maybe JTAG. The latter two are for development
only, and you may be able to do without JTAG if the system can
boot directly from uSD.

For external connectors, there's the question of how much you can
depart from the existing case designs Samsung have. E.g., most
people prefer a 3.5 mm audio jack over anything else. I don't know
what the Omnias use. For USB, USB-IF want people to use micro-USB,
yet mini-USB is still a lot more popular.

What level of openness do you aim for with the various components ?
Sources with developers under NDA ? Publicly available data
sheets ?

I think Raster has worked with Samsung on a smilar kind of project
recently, so you may want to ask him for suggestions.

Re: SAMSUNG - possible project - help needed

Patryk Benderz
Dnia 2010-06-26, sob o godzinie 13:07 -0300, Werner Almesberger pisze:

> I think Raster has worked with Samsung on a smilar kind of project
> recently, so you may want to ask him for suggestions.
>
> - Werner
Hi Werner,
As I thought, when pointing Leviathan here, he would get appropriate
suggestions. Maybe we should call you "Werner the Helpful"? ;)

--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521

Email secured by Check Point

Re: SAMSUNG - possible project - help needed

leviathan
>Hi Werner,
>As I thought, when pointing Leviathan here, he would get appropriate
>suggestions. Maybe we should call you "Werner the Helpful"?
I asked raster an got the suggestion to try samsung 360 h1.
but the device he was refering to was no longer available.
so I'll just try to show them some usecases, declare why FSO2+SHR
would be much cheaper then investing into reinvention of the wheel
and ask them for development boards to start porting FSO2 and SHR.

best regards
        leviathan