Quantcast

[SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

vancel35
On a recent update/upgrade, I lost my ability to see wifi connections.  I'm not sure what caused it, and I've done several things to see if I can bring it back, but I've had no luck so far.  I'm sure it's something simple, but since I really didn't use wifi before December, I'm still somewhat new to the FR Wifi game.

Here are the wifi packages I have installed

$ opkg list-installed | grep -i wifi
connman-plugin-wifi - 0.46-r5.4
task-base-wifi - 1.0-r87.4

Here are the wpa packages I have installed.

$ opkg list-installed | grep -i wpa
wpa-supplicant - 0.6.9-r5.1.4
wpa-supplicant-passphrase - 0.6.9-r5.1.4

When I run Mokonnect I get the following symptoms (at least I think they may be symptoms).
- Mokonnect uses significant (between 5 and 20% CPU) when on the Wifi configuration page (the one with the "Scan" button).
- When I click the "Scan" button, nothing happens.  It used to show me the visible SSID's as expected.
- When I click on the "Apply" button I get the following message:
   - Wifi device seems to be off, trying to power it on...
   - Failed powering on the device or it was still not found in connman.

I can turn on the Wifi device manually in SHR-Settings -> Connections, but I never get the Wifi icon in the shelf.  (I used to get the icon every time)  When I try again after I've manually turned on the Wifi antenna, I get the same message, so I would guess that it's the 2nd part saying that the wifi device is not found in connman.

I've upgraded every day since I first lost wifi hoping that maybe something was broken, but the lack of posts on the list regarding wifi makes me think something went wrong on my specific upgrade.  With this in mind, I removed and reinstalled all of the packages that I could find regarding wifi or wpa, and some other packages accidentally because of opkg recommending the option to force removal of dependent packages.  I reinstalled all of them, and still no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'd rather not have to reflash if possible, but I guess I will if necessary.

-Laura

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

Neil Jerram
On 12 February 2010 17:43, vancel35 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On a recent update/upgrade, I lost my ability to see wifi connections.  [...]

Sounds to me like a missing or not working kernel module - but I'm
totally guessing.  Have you also asked on the shr-users mailing list?

Regards,
         Neil

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

vancel35
An update here.

I upgraded my phone the night before last, and my wifi works again.  I had just given up and was upgrading nightly.  I'm not sure what specific package fixed it, but I noticed that some of the core packages were updated (such as phonefsod, libframeworkd, mdbus2, etc.).

I think that I had found that it was that the dbus couldn't control the wifi radio.  I'm not sure where the disconnect was, but the apps would call the dbus, and the wifi radio wouldn't respond.

No matter which specific package it was, my wifi works now without me doing anything beyond update/upgrade nightly.  I didn't add any extra kernel modules or anything.

-Laura

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

HansV
I have the same problem, but upgrading didn't solve it. I tried everything I could think of, but no wifi so far. Any ideas?

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

Iain B. Findleton
I have had experience with a lot of WiFi chips that is that they stop
working after a couple of years. Check that the device is found on your
machine. I use lsusb....

HansV wrote:
> I have the same problem, but upgrading didn't solve it. I tried everything I
> could think of, but no wifi so far. Any ideas?

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

HansV
lsusb gives:
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub.

So I suppose my WiFi is dead.

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

Ben Thompson-3
On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:42:39PM -0700, HansV wrote:

> lsusb gives:
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub.
>
> So I suppose my WiFi is dead.

No, I don't think so. My wifi is fine and I get the same output. How
are you using wifi by the way? Do you use wpa_supplicant or a GUI such
as Mokonnect or NWA?

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

HansV
I use Mokonnect. It doesn't seem to find the WiFi hardware. The WiFi indicator comes on in the shelf while Mokonnect is trying to power up the device. But Mokonnect waits forever. Maybe some modules are missing in my setup?

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:26:18AM -0700, HansV wrote:

> I use Mokonnect. It doesn't seem to find the WiFi hardware. The WiFi
> indicator comes on in the shelf while Mokonnect is trying to power up the
> device. But Mokonnect waits forever. Maybe some modules are missing in my
> setup?

Hmm, I have never really had any luck with Mokonnect so it might be
worth trying another client such as NWA or wpa_supplicant. However, if
you think there is a problem with the hardware maybe have a look in
the output of dmesg.

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

Xavier Cremaschi
Wifi seems unavailable, but after seeking the ML I found there is a bug
in FSO MS5 (MS5 is the revision ?) and I had to do :
      echo s3c2440-sdi >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/s3c2440-sdi/unbind
      echo s3c2440-sdi >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/s3c2440-sdi/bind
in order to get eth0 back.

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

HansV
[quote]Wifi seems unavailable, but after seeking the ML I found there is a bug
in FSO MS5 (MS5 is the revision ?) and I had to do :
      echo s3c2440-sdi >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/s3c2440-sdi/unbind
      echo s3c2440-sdi >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/s3c2440-sdi/bind
in order to get eth0 back. [/quote]

I entered the commands above and eth0 is available now. But Mokonnect still doesn't work, even after rebooting the FR. It says:
Wifi device seems to be off, trying to power it on...
This message takes forever. When the FR goes in standby the Wifi symbols is shown in the top-shelf.
In Settings->Connectivity I can't change the WiFi setting, it always stays in 'Automatic'.

After the reboot I had to enter the above commands again to get eth0 back. The error message is now followed by:
Failed powering on the device or it was still not found in connman.

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

MicVM
to be honest. Mokonnect rarely worked for me. I would also suggest u
to use wpa_supplicant or similar wifi tools.
Usually I turn on wifi using the shr settings ui and then run
wpa_supplicant and udhcpc. That works 99% of the time if the interface
is up.

Good luck

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:17 AM, HansV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [quote]Wifi seems unavailable, but after seeking the ML I found there is a
> bug
> in FSO MS5 (MS5 is the revision ?) and I had to do :
>      echo s3c2440-sdi >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/s3c2440-sdi/unbind
>      echo s3c2440-sdi >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/s3c2440-sdi/bind
> in order to get eth0 back. [/quote]
>
> I entered the commands above and eth0 is available now. But Mokonnect still
> doesn't work, even after rebooting the FR. It says:
> Wifi device seems to be off, trying to power it on...
> This message takes forever. When the FR goes in standby the Wifi symbols is
> shown in the top-shelf.
> In Settings->Connectivity I can't change the WiFi setting, it always stays
> in 'Automatic'.
>
> After the reboot I had to enter the above commands again to get eth0 back.
> The error message is now followed by:
> Failed powering on the device or it was still not found in connman.

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

HansV
Strange thing is that I can't power on using shr settings: the dropdown only shows the 'Automatic' value, on and off are not available.

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

Davide Scaini

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 2:37 PM, HansV <[hidden email]> wrote:

Strange thing is that I can't power on using shr settings: the dropdown only
shows the 'Automatic' value, on and off are not available.

do you switched (the switch) from automatic to manual?

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

Fox Mulder
Only when you switch the "automatic" value to "manual" the option to
power it "on" and "off" appears.

Am 26.04.2010 14:37, schrieb HansV:

> Strange thing is that I can't power on using shr settings: the dropdown only
> shows the 'Automatic' value, on and off are not available.

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

HansV
OK, I didn't see this is a switch, I thought it was a dropdown box. Now I can switch it on manually. Still finding out how to start wifi with wpa-supplicant.

Re: [SHR-U] Wifi stopped working

Paul Fertser
HansV <[hidden email]> writes:
> OK, I didn't see this is a switch, I thought it was a dropdown
> box. Now I can switch it on manually. Still finding out how to start
> wifi with wpa-supplicant.

Hard to succeed when you're reluctant to read, eh? ;)

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FSO_Resources
http://www.mail-archive.com/community@.../msg58146.html

mailto:[hidden email]