SMS lost when offline

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SMS lost when offline

Tilman Baumann
I just realised that I loose all my SMS that I get sent while the phone is
offline.
This is very anoying, I would expect to get them delivered when the phone
goes back on line.

Even more strange, I'm pretty sure they eventually end up in my SIM card
but are never shown in the Messages application.
Because in the Settings app in the Phone section in the 'Messages book'
pane the number for used gets higher. Probably all missed SMS.
I even once had a full message book, and when I cleaned it I got messages
delivered which seemed to be in the delivery queue at the provider.

And regarding these book sections there. Isn't this the same thing the
phonelog app tries to do, just the right way?
--
MFG
 Tilman Baumann


_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SMS lost when offline

Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann
Am Dienstag 21 April 2009 11:57:23 schrieb Tilman Baumann:
> I just realised that I loose all my SMS that I get sent while the phone is
> offline.
> This is very anoying, I would expect to get them delivered when the phone
> goes back on line.

>
> Even more strange, I'm pretty sure they eventually end up in my SIM card
> but are never shown in the Messages application.
> Because in the Settings app in the Phone section in the 'Messages book'
> pane the number for used gets higher. Probably all missed SMS.
Actually they seem to get delivered just fine... and just sit in the 'unread'
messagebook. The list in the SHR message app gets filled with 'read' messages
only... thus they don't show up. Bummer.

First question would be under what condition the messages get delivered, but
you don't get notified. Second thing would be to - in any case - show unread
messages also in the list.

> I even once had a full message book, and when I cleaned it I got messages
> delivered which seemed to be in the delivery queue at the provider.
That is normal me thinks. Have that too. If there is no more space in the SIM
frameworkd won't accept new messages until you delete some.

>
> And regarding these book sections there. Isn't this the same thing the
> phonelog app tries to do, just the right way?

Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann



_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SMS lost when offline

Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau
In reply to this post by Tilman Baumann
On Tuesday 21 April 2009 12:57:23 Tilman Baumann wrote:

> I just realised that I loose all my SMS that I get sent while the phone is
> offline.
> This is very anoying, I would expect to get them delivered when the phone
> goes back on line.
>
> Even more strange, I'm pretty sure they eventually end up in my SIM card
> but are never shown in the Messages application.
> Because in the Settings app in the Phone section in the 'Messages book'
> pane the number for used gets higher. Probably all missed SMS.
> I even once had a full message book, and when I cleaned it I got messages
> delivered which seemed to be in the delivery queue at the provider.
>
> And regarding these book sections there. Isn't this the same thing the
> phonelog app tries to do, just the right way?
mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ogsmd /org/freesmartphone/GSM/Device  
org.freesmartphone.GSM.SIM.RetrieveMessagebook 'all'

Yes, I hate this too, but this command is simple workaround, after this you
will see all your sms's in Messages.

_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SMS lost when offline

Tilman Baumann
In reply to this post by Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann

Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann wrote:

>> Even more strange, I'm pretty sure they eventually end up in my SIM card
>> but are never shown in the Messages application.
>> Because in the Settings app in the Phone section in the 'Messages book'
>> pane the number for used gets higher. Probably all missed SMS.
> Actually they seem to get delivered just fine... and just sit in the
> 'unread'
> messagebook. The list in the SHR message app gets filled with 'read'
> messages
> only... thus they don't show up. Bummer.

I would call it a bug. :)

> First question would be under what condition the messages get delivered,
> but
> you don't get notified.

Probably a race condition in bringing up the GSM system.
GSM comes up, reisteres to the net and fetches all SMS. And frameworkd or
ophonekitd is not ready yet.
Probably...

Any ideas how I could debug this?
Since it is very easy to reproduce I would suggest someone who knows the
system has a look.
At the moment I don't have a Linux box for debugging.

> Second thing would be to - in any case - show
> unread
> messages also in the list.

Clearly.

>> I even once had a full message book, and when I cleaned it I got
>> messages
>> delivered which seemed to be in the delivery queue at the provider.
> That is normal me thinks. Have that too. If there is no more space in the
> SIM
> frameworkd won't accept new messages until you delete some.

That should be done entirely inside the SIM. But anyway. :)

--
MFG
 Tilman Baumann


_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SMS lost when offline

Tilman Baumann
In reply to this post by Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau

Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau wrote:
>> And regarding these book sections there. Isn't this the same thing the
>> phonelog app tries to do, just the right way?
> mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ogsmd /org/freesmartphone/GSM/Device
> org.freesmartphone.GSM.SIM.RetrieveMessagebook 'all'
>
> Yes, I hate this too, but this command is simple workaround, after this
> you
> will see all your sms's in Messages.

Thanks, you saved my life.
Cludgy workaround, but still better then loosing or never seeing all your
messages. :)

--
MFG
 Tilman Baumann


_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SMS lost when offline

Pietro Abate
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 01:46:00PM +0100, Tilman Baumann wrote:
> Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau wrote:
> >> And regarding these book sections there. Isn't this the same thing the
> >> phonelog app tries to do, just the right way?
> > mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ogsmd /org/freesmartphone/GSM/Device
> > org.freesmartphone.GSM.SIM.RetrieveMessagebook 'all'
> > Yes, I hate this too, but this command is simple workaround, after
> > this you will see all your sms's in Messages.

> Thanks, you saved my life.

who said that that SHR is not "mission critical" :)

ahaha (sorry could not resit) :)


> Cludgy workaround, but still better then loosing or never seeing all your
> messages. :)
>
> --
> MFG
>  Tilman Baumann
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Shr-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel

_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SMS lost when offline

Tilman Baumann

Pietro Abate wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 01:46:00PM +0100, Tilman Baumann wrote:
>> Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau wrote:
>> >> And regarding these book sections there. Isn't this the same thing
>> the
>> >> phonelog app tries to do, just the right way?
>> > mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ogsmd /org/freesmartphone/GSM/Device
>> > org.freesmartphone.GSM.SIM.RetrieveMessagebook 'all'
>> > Yes, I hate this too, but this command is simple workaround, after
>> > this you will see all your sms's in Messages.
>
>> Thanks, you saved my life.
>
> who said that that SHR is not "mission critical" :)
>
> ahaha (sorry could not resit) :)

The bank details of my landlady where in one of these messages.
Not life or death, but critical. :)

--
MFG
 Tilman Baumann


_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel