Shortening of the main page

rakshat
Is there any specific reason why the boxes giving a lot of information and relevant information have been removed form the main page. I found them quite useful - especially the latest news section

Rakshat

Re: Shortening of the main page

William Lai-4

rakshat hooja wrote:
> Is there any specific reason why the boxes giving a lot of information
> and relevant information have been removed form the main page. I found
> them quite useful - especially the latest news section

It's a new year so we decided to go for something fresh.  The main
points for the changes were:

* linking main page to sales and distributors
* moving critical links to main navigation on the left
* remove clutter
* attempt to organize in a way that guides new comers in a useful direction

We can always revert, but we would like to try it out for a while.  The
latest news section is still there, as we believe it's important too.

Will

Re: Shortening of the main page

Marko Knöbl-2
2009/2/6 William Lai <[hidden email]>:

> rakshat hooja wrote:
>> Is there any specific reason why the boxes giving a lot of information
>> and relevant information have been removed form the main page. I found
>> them quite useful - especially the latest news section
>>

> It's a new year so we decided to go for something fresh.  The main
> points for the changes were:
>
> * linking main page to sales and distributors
> * moving critical links to main navigation on the left
> * remove clutter
> * attempt to organize in a way that guides new comers in a useful direction
>
> We can always revert, but we would like to try it out for a while.  The
> latest news section is still there, as we believe it's important too.
>

> Will

Hi!

While I like the new structure of the main navigation on the left, I
think that the main page has become worse.  I'd like to try and change
some parts of the main page. Is that okay, or should I leave editing
the main page to the people from Openmoko Inc?

Here's what I dislike about the new main page:
-a prominent link to "Why Openmoko" at the top: this article is
significantly outdated (it does not contain a word about android)
-the section "Get involved" seems like a random collection of links to
me (and none of them is telling me how I can get involved in the
project)
-"university programs" is now linked twice from the main page
-The pages "Jokes" and "Getting Openmoko" have become practically
impossible to find - the only relevant links had been those from the
main page. If you think that these pages are not relevant, please
delete them entirely, don't just remove the links - this makes the
wiki become (more) unstructured.

Marko

Re: Shortening of the main page

Brenda Wang-2
Marko Knöbl ??:

> 2009/2/6 William Lai <[hidden email]>:
>
>> rakshat hooja wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any specific reason why the boxes giving a lot of information
>>> and relevant information have been removed form the main page. I found
>>> them quite useful - especially the latest news section
>>>

>> It's a new year so we decided to go for something fresh.  The main
>> points for the changes were:
>>
>> * linking main page to sales and distributors
>> * moving critical links to main navigation on the left
>> * remove clutter
>> * attempt to organize in a way that guides new comers in a useful direction
>>
>> We can always revert, but we would like to try it out for a while.  The
>> latest news section is still there, as we believe it's important too.
>>

>> Will

> Hi!
>
> While I like the new structure of the main navigation on the left, I
> think that the main page has become worse.  I'd like to try and change
> some parts of the main page. Is that okay, or should I leave editing
> the main page to the people from Openmoko Inc?

It's OK to change the main page. And while you change the main page,
please sent a mail to the documentation list.

Brenda

Brenda Wang wrote:
> Marko Knöbl ??:
>> 2009/2/6 William Lai <[hidden email]>:

<sniipped>

>> While I like the new structure of the main navigation on the left, I
>> think that the main page has become worse.  I'd like to try and change
>> some parts of the main page. Is that okay, or should I leave editing
>> the main page to the people from Openmoko Inc?
>>

> It's OK to change the main page. And while you change the main page,
> please sent a mail to the documentation list.

Just to add to that, everyone is welcome to change the main page.  The
decisions from the change come from input gathered from distributors and
people offlist.  There's is still lots of room for improvement.

>> Here's what I dislike about the new main page:
>> -a prominent link to "Why Openmoko" at the top: this article is
>> significantly outdated (it does not contain a word about android)

You could update it :)

>> -the section "Get involved" seems like a random collection of links to
>> me (and none of them is telling me how I can get involved in the
>> project)

Fair enough.  Perhaps linking to:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko:Community_Portal

Makes more sense.

>> -"university programs" is now linked twice from the main page

Is now fixed after "Get Involved" has been updated.

>> -The pages "Jokes" and "Getting Openmoko" have become practically
>> impossible to find - the only relevant links had been those from the
>> main page. If you think that these pages are not relevant, please
>> delete them entirely, don't just remove the links - this makes the
>> wiki become (more) unstructured.

"How to purchase" has now been updated to include Getting Openmoko,
along with quick links to other resources.

As for the Jokes page, where do you suggest it shoupld be placed on the
main page?

Regards,

Will