State of upstreaming?

Radek Polak
Hi,
i would like to aks what is current state of upstreaming openmoko kernel
support?

I have been using 2.6.34 kernel for a few days in qtmoko distribution and i
like how it works. If no serious regressions are found i would like to abandon
2.6.29 for qtmoko.

But it would be nice to have more drivers upstream. It would be easier to
track reggressions and i think open hardware phone deserves to be in upstream.

Is anybody working on upstreaming now? Can i help somehow?

Regards

Radek

Re: State of upstreaming?

Timo Juhani Lindfors
Radek Polak <[hidden email]> writes:
> I have been using 2.6.34 kernel for a few days in qtmoko distribution and i
> like how it works.

That is interesting news. Can you point me to the config file and git
hash that you are using so that I can start testing this version too?

> If no serious regressions are found i would like to abandon
> 2.6.29 for qtmoko.

Afaik at least resume reason support for PMU was missing
completely. Is this still the case? It is a serious regression for me
since I need to differentiate between RTC wake up and power button
press.

Re: State of upstreaming?

Davide
O Martes, 21 de Setembro de 2010, Radek Polak escribiu:
> Hi,
> i would like to aks what is current state of upstreaming openmoko kernel
> support?
>
> I have been using 2.6.34 kernel for a few days in qtmoko distribution and i
> like how it works. If no serious regressions are found i would like to
> abandon 2.6.29 for qtmoko.

Do you know if uSD problems were fixed?
Last time I tried, 2.6.34 had problems with my uSDs

--
David Garabana Barro
jabber & google talk ID: [hidden email]

Re: State of upstreaming?

Radek Polak
On Tuesday 21 September 2010 21:08:31 Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:

> That is interesting news. Can you point me to the config file and git
> hash that you are using so that I can start testing this version too?

http://github.com/radekp/linux-2.6/tree/qtmoko-v27

Config is also supplied as .config in the root. The tree is based on
git.openmoko.org branch om-gta02-2.6.34. It has cherry-picked patches from SHR
[1] except glamo-drm because i was unable to boot whith these patches.

> Afaik at least resume reason support for PMU was missing
> completely. Is this still the case? It is a serious regression for me
> since I need to differentiate between RTC wake up and power button
> press.

I have this file:

/sys/devices/platform/s3c2440-i2c/i2c-0/0-0073/resume_reason

it reads value 0002000000

I am not using this file for anything so i dont know if it works correctly

Regards

Radek

[1] http://gitorious.org/~jama/htc-msm-2-6-32/openmoko-kernel/commits/om-
gta02-2.6.34

Re: State of upstreaming?

Radek Polak
On Tuesday 21 September 2010 21:29:59 David Garabana Barro wrote:

> Do you know if uSD problems were fixed?
> Last time I tried, 2.6.34 had problems with my uSDs

Do you have link for the bug report? I havent noticed any problems with my uSD
card.

Regards

Radek

Re: State of upstreaming?

Martin Jansa
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 09:11:05AM +0200, Radek Polak wrote:

> On Tuesday 21 September 2010 21:08:31 Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
>
> > That is interesting news. Can you point me to the config file and git
> > hash that you are using so that I can start testing this version too?
>
> http://github.com/radekp/linux-2.6/tree/qtmoko-v27
>
> Config is also supplied as .config in the root. The tree is based on
> git.openmoko.org branch om-gta02-2.6.34. It has cherry-picked patches from SHR
> [1] except glamo-drm because i was unable to boot whith these patches.
>
> > Afaik at least resume reason support for PMU was missing
> > completely. Is this still the case? It is a serious regression for me
> > since I need to differentiate between RTC wake up and power button
> > press.
>
> I have this file:
>
> /sys/devices/platform/s3c2440-i2c/i2c-0/0-0073/resume_reason

Hi,

this is only subreason from FSO point of view

internal const string SYSFS_RESUME_REASON_PATH    = "/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/0-0073/neo1973-resume.0/resume_reason";
internal const string SYSFS_RESUME_SUBREASON_PATH = "/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/0-0073/resume_reason";

see
http://git.freesmartphone.org/?p=cornucopia.git;a=blob;f=fsousaged/src/plugins/lowlevel_openmoko/plugin.vala;h=91152d6df65ec243c101f2822f3c2958ef436c04;hb=HEAD
how it's used

in short:
FSO tries to read SYSFS_RESUME_REASON_PATH first (but it's not available in
2.6.3[24]) and then only if it's EINT09_PMU it reads second file
SYSFS_RESUME_SUBREASON_PATH.

> it reads value 0002000000

which corresponds to
"0002000000", ResumeReason.PowerKey

you can also find ie "0000000200", ResumeReason.LowBattery

but last time I talked with lindi, he showed me more possible values there,
which were also interresting

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: [hidden email]

Re: State of upstreaming?

Davide
On Miércoles, 22 de Septiembre de 2010 09:14:46 Radek Polak escribió:
> On Tuesday 21 September 2010 21:29:59 David Garabana Barro wrote:
> > Do you know if uSD problems were fixed?
> > Last time I tried, 2.6.34 had problems with my uSDs
>
> Do you have link for the bug report? I havent noticed any problems with my
> uSD card.

http://www.shr-project.org/trac/ticket/1143

According to bug report and what some people are commenting on lists, it seems
I'm not the only one...

Regards

Re: State of upstreaming?

Lars-Peter Clausen
Radek Polak wrote:
> Hi,
> i would like to aks what is current state of upstreaming openmoko kernel
> support?

I'm afraid it has not gotten much further during the past few months.

> I have been using 2.6.34 kernel for a few days in qtmoko distribution and i
> like how it works. If no serious regressions are found i would like to abandon
> 2.6.29 for qtmoko.
>
> But it would be nice to have more drivers upstream. It would be easier to
> track reggressions and i think open hardware phone deserves to be in upstream.
>
> Is anybody working on upstreaming now? Can i help somehow?

I've rebased the openmoko patches onto 2.6.36 last week. Found some regressions in
upstream s3c2442 support, which should be fixed now and the patches have been send
upstream.
There is still a issue with the wlan driver preventing the system to suspend somehow
and WSOD seems to be back again.

I've also merged our bq27000 with the upstream bq27x00 and will send the patches
upstream once they have been tested properly. So then we have one less driver to care
about.

Since there is now a AR600X driver in the staging area of upstream we should look
into replacing our own version of that driver.
There is also a driver upstream for the accelerometer which is different from the one
found in the .29 tree. But it needs to be integrated in the GTA02 machine code.

So that mostly leaves us mostly with the glamo and the jbt6k74 drivers which still
need to be upstreamed.

> Regards
>
> Radek

- Lars

Re: State of upstreaming?

Gennady Kupava

Re: State of upstreaming?

Lars-Peter Clausen
Gennady Kupava wrote:

> Hi, Lars.
>
>>  ...WSOD seems to be back again...
>
> 2 anti-WS patched exist, are you using them?
>
> http://github.com/radekp/linux-2.6/commit/98c3c2082a601d3982f73c0e83ac0748d781be2e
>
> http://github.com/radekp/linux-2.6/commit/b76e1206d85e7ae984bc2dcb9f91b74d5b41f4b0
>

> Gennady

Nope. I'll try them. Thanks.

- Lars

Re: State of upstreaming?

Thibaut Girka
Le mardi 21 septembre 2010 à 20:23 +0200, Radek Polak a écrit :
> Hi,
Hi!

> I have been using 2.6.34 kernel for a few days in qtmoko distribution and i
> like how it works. If no serious regressions are found i would like to abandon
> 2.6.29 for qtmoko.

Nice! :)

> But it would be nice to have more drivers upstream. It would be easier to
> track reggressions and i think open hardware phone deserves to be in upstream.
>
> Is anybody working on upstreaming now? Can i help somehow?

I was, but now, I'm really busy with various stuff.
I'll try to work a bit on it, though (I think I've a few patches waiting
to be pushed/mailed, I'll take care of that this evening).

Wolfgang Denk (who I've added to CC, just in case) was interested in
this too, and opened a git repo for this purpose.

If you want to do some kernel hacking, you can read Samuel's review[1]
on the glamo-core patch and see how to address the remaining issues
(I'll post some patches to fix the cosmetic ones this evening).

[1]: http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/8/18/171

Regards,
Thibaut Girka.