The Phoenux is coming: Openmoko Beagle

H. Nikolaus Schaller
Recently,
on 1st April,
we have made jokes about how the future might look for Openmoko devices.

The future begins now!

We can soon provide a printed circuit board ("Openmoko Beagle") that
can carry a Freerunner display module (incl. touch screen) and is
connected to a Beagleboard. It fits into a (slightly cut) Freerunner
case (although you can do everything without destroying a Freerunner;
only the buttons are a little more difficult to use).

Thus one can experience how a OMAP 3530 would feel inside a
Freerunner. And with an external battery pack and a UMTS stick the
whole thing is even mobile. See photos [1], [2]. A prototype had
already been shown briefly during FOSDEM: [3] so you may think you
have already seen this.

The U-Boot software is completed and even has a graphical menu: [4].
Sources will become available together with the hardware.

For the Linux kernel, there is still some work to do. But it is
essentially a BeagleBoard kernel plus Angstrom (or what ever you want
to use). This means that experienced Freerunner users and developers
can easily participate actively. And of course user-space software
like SHR, QtMoko, Android, Debian, FSO, etc. can be ported...

With the new capabilities of the OMAP CPU (integrated vector-pipeline,
3D graphics engine, separate DSP for audio / video processing) we can
reach the power of a Pre Palm, HTC, N900 or iPhone.

Assuming that the community wants to aquire at least 50 units (please
confirm!) and that the EUR does not crash, we think we can offer the
* empty PCB (with placement plan and shopping list) at around 49 EUR,
* a set of components (without display) for DIY soldering (but we
don't recommend because of a few tiny SMDs and BGAs) also at 49 EUR.
* A populated board (without display) for ca. 99 EUR
* and ca. 169 EUR with a display module (if you do not want to
disassemble your Freerunner).
Note: the OMAP3530 CPU is not on this board, so you must obtain a
BeagleBoard separately.

So are you interested in giving your Freerunner an exciting new life
[5]? Want to participate to really go in the direction of Free&Open-
UMTS high-powered smartphones? This is not the end of development. It
is a new beginning. Promised. Let's do it. Yes, we can. Etc.

We would appreciate your communicative, encouraging, financial and
practical support and your questions.

Nikolaus (MacGyver?) + Team

[1] http://download.goldelico.com/default/Images/DSC00435.JPG
[2] http://download.goldelico.com/default/Images/DSC00436.JPG
[3]: http://freeyourphone.de/portal_v1/download/file.php?id=225
[4]: http://download.goldelico.com/default/Images/DSC00434.JPG
[5]: therefore the allusion to the Phoenux

Mobile Office Solutions
by Golden Delicious Computers GmbH&Co. KG
Buchenstr. 3
D-82041 Oberhaching
+49-89-54290367
http://www.handheld-linux.com

AG München, HRA 89571
VAT DE253626266
Komplementär:
Golden Delicious Computers Verwaltungs GmbH
Oberhaching, AG München, HRB 16602
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Nikolaus Schaller

Digital Tools for Independent People

Re: The Phoenux is coming: Openmoko Beagle

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller

Am 14.05.2010 um 14:19 schrieb Helge Hafting:

> Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
>> We can soon provide a printed circuit board ("Openmoko Beagle") that
>> can carry a Freerunner display module (incl. touch screen) and is
>> connected to a Beagleboard. It fits into a (slightly cut) Freerunner
>> case (although you can do everything without destroying a Freerunner;
>> only the buttons are a little more difficult to use).
>>
> Nice.
>
> Combining the FR display with a faster processor is interesting.
>
> It'd be even better if it either fit in the FR case, or some

Unfortunately the Beagle Board is too large. We have evaluated if wen
can put an OMAP on a cheap board - but the OMAP needs the latest micro-
via technology.

> alternative case can be ordered instead. Expanding the FR case
> by making it thicker is also an option.

The general problem is making plastics. This is the most expensive
investment if you want high quality (as used to from the Freerunner).
But we will look into that and as soon as we have a solution...

> Is the touchscreen the only FR component that can be reused?

Well ,we also reuse the earpiece and speaker.

> The gps unit is rather good - could it be connected to
> the new board with only simple soldering?

Unfortunately no. The GPS system consists of ca. 50 components in
addition to the pure chip. But you will see that the board has an area
for a Wi2Wi GPS module (W2SG0004) with less external components - but
we have not yet tested that. So it may be totally inoperable.

Nikolaus