The most effective wiki improvement we can make

The most effective wiki improvement we can make

Minh Ha Duong
is perhaps this one:

The capabilities of mediawiki build-in search engine are very limited. Too
often, we don't find what we are looking for. We need to extend this facility
with something more powerful. See options at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Search_extensions

Especially:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GoogleSiteSearch

Minh

Re: The most effective wiki improvement we can make

William Lai-4
Minh Ha Duong wrote:
> is perhaps this one:
>
> The capabilities of mediawiki build-in search engine are very limited. Too
> often, we don't find what we are looking for. We need to extend this facility
> with something more powerful.

You read my/everyone's mind.

> See options at
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Search_extensions
>
> Especially:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GoogleSiteSearch

This looks promising.
Roh, should we give this a try?

Will

Re: The most effective wiki improvement we can make

Minh Ha Duong
> > The capabilities of mediawiki build-in search engine are very limited.
>
> You read my/everyone's mind.

Actually it seems to be common knowledge, I saw that mentionned on the lists a
long time ago, then again recently, then I had a couple of bad experiences
myself with the search box. At that point I got suspicious, and then I saw on
the mediawiki forums that the search function does not even stems out the "s"
and has trouble with diacriticals and quoted words...

Minh

Re: The most effective wiki improvement we can make

Michael Shiloh-3
Minh Ha Duong wrote:
> is perhaps this one:
>
> The capabilities of mediawiki build-in search engine are very limited. Too
> often, we don't find what we are looking for. We need to extend this facility
> with something more powerful. See options at
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Search_extensions
>
> Especially:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GoogleSiteSearch

Agreed. The search box has long been known to be useless. IIRC, there
was a thread on using Google to search the wiki, but apparently it was
never implemented

Brenda, what do we need to do to make this happen?

Re: The most effective wiki improvement we can make

Brenda Wang-2
Michael Shiloh ??:

> Minh Ha Duong wrote:
>
>> is perhaps this one:
>>
>> The capabilities of mediawiki build-in search engine are very limited. Too
>> often, we don't find what we are looking for. We need to extend this facility
>> with something more powerful. See options at
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Search_extensions
>>
>> Especially:
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GoogleSiteSearch
>>

> Agreed. The search box has long been known to be useless. IIRC, there
> was a thread on using Google to search the wiki, but apparently it was
> never implemented
>
> Brenda, what do we need to do to make this happen?

I had took a trac ticket, Roh and Gismo will tell us if it can work on
Openmoko wiki.

Brenda
roh

Re: The most effective wiki improvement we can make

roh
Administrator
William Lai wrote:

> Minh Ha Duong wrote:
>> is perhaps this one:
>>
>> The capabilities of mediawiki build-in search engine are very limited.
>> Too often, we don't find what we are looking for. We need to extend
>> this facility with something more powerful.
>
> You read my/everyone's mind.
>
>> See options at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Search_extensions
>>
>> Especially:
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GoogleSiteSearch
>>

> This looks promising.
> Roh, should we give this a try?

we'll look into it.

cannot yet promise how long it takes, (few days?)
lots of other things on our todo...

but we have a ticket for it now:
http://admin-trac.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1556

added this list to the cc, to keep you informed.

kind regards

--

Joachim Steiger
Openmoko Central Services