components to research

Werner Almesberger
For the component search, I'd suggest to start by trying to locate
sources for the major chips. Knowing one or more places that sell
these chips won't preclude us from politely asking for samples, but
it would give us the comfort of having a fallback solution if we're
rejected or if negotiations draw out for too long.

Once this groundwork is done, we can handle all the "birdseed" that
makes the BOM look intimidating but usually isn't much of a problem.

Here are the biggest critters:

- CPU and memory MCP, Samsung, SC32442B54
  http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/productInfo.do?fmly_id=229&partnum=SC32442&xFmly_id=229

- PMU, NXP, PCF50633HN/04/N3,5
  http://www.nxp.com/

- Audio codec, Wolfson, WM8753LGEFL
  http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/

- u-blox 4 GPS chipset, ATR0635-7KQY and ATR0610-PQQ
  http://www.u-blox.com/

- Bluetooth Module, Delta, DFBM-CS320-FI1R
  http://www.delta.com.tw/

- WLAN Module, Accton, WM3236AQ
  http://www.accton.com.tw/

- LCD Module, Toppoly, TD028TTEC1
  Toppoly is now apparently CHIMEI InnoLux,
  http://www.chimei-innolux.com/
  They may still trade as Toppoly or TPO

To be viable, a source should be able to indicate stock availability
and/or lead time, and the price for 20 units. Ideally, they would
provide this information without having to call/mail, but many
distributors prefer to surround their catalog with a veil of secrecy.

If you find something, please post to the list or on #gta02-core.

Re: components to research

Werner Almesberger
I already found one ! That was too easy ;-)

Mouser have the Wolfson WM8753LGEFL at USD 6.70 apiece:
http://www.mouser.com/
Part number: 238-WM8753LGEFL/V

I haven't found a way to link directly to the part page yet,
but a search should lead you here:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Wolfson-Microelectronics/WM8753LGEFL-V/

Mouser also list the ATR0635 and the ATR0610, but without part number
or price, and availability "call". So there's probably a large minimum
order quantity.

One down, six more to go.

ATR0635 and ATR0610 (was Re: components to research)

Werner Almesberger
Sort of found another one: Avnet [1] list the ATR0610-PQQ and the
ATR0635-7KQY. Unfortunately without stock, but with a price and
a lead time.

ATR0635-7KQY 88 USD 15.23
ATR0610-PQQ USD 0.6923

Both have a factory lead time of 21 weeks and a minimum order
of one unit.

[1] http://avnetexpress.avnet.com/

Digi-Key list the ATR0610 as well, but without lead time and a
minimum order of 3000 units. The fun thing is that, trying to add
it to an order is refused with:

"Due to U.S. export controls, we are unable to add this item to your order."

This could get interesting :-)

WM3236AQ (was Re: components to research)

I wrote:
> - WLAN Module, Accton, WM3236AQ
>   http://www.accton.com.tw/

I found a better link:
http://www.aiconn.com.tw/newsite/product_001.htm

According to http://www.digitimes.com/tag/accton/001693.html
"Aiconn [is] a subsidiary of [...] Accton Technology"

They say the WS178Q is a pin-compatible enhancement of the
WM3236AQ, and it has indeed exactly the same size. But of
course this could still mean different internals (AR6002,
perhaps ?), an incompatible binary interface, etc.

Re: WM3236AQ (was Re: components to research)

Al Johnson
On Friday 26 March 2010, Werner Almesberger wrote:

> I wrote:
> > - WLAN Module, Accton, WM3236AQ
> >   http://www.accton.com.tw/
>
> I found a better link:
> http://www.aiconn.com.tw/newsite/product_001.htm
>
> According to http://www.digitimes.com/tag/accton/001693.html
> "Aiconn [is] a subsidiary of [...] Accton Technology"
>
> They say the WS178Q is a pin-compatible enhancement of the
> WM3236AQ, and it has indeed exactly the same size. But of
> course this could still mean different internals (AR6002,
> perhaps ?), an incompatible binary interface, etc.

They also claim they are "software compatible to each other for customers'
easy upgrade" so it might be a genuine drop-in replacement.

Al Johnson wrote:
> They also claim they are "software compatible to each other for customers'
> easy upgrade" so it might be a genuine drop-in replacement.

Straight from the horse's mouth [1]:

| This new series of Atheros mobile Wi-Fi solutions [ the AR6002 ]
| is software-compatible with the first-generation, AR6001 [...]

[1] http://www.atheros.com/news/AR6002.htm

Now, as far as I remember, the AR6002 keeps the firmware in RAM,
not in Flash, and thus requires the host to load it after each
bringup. So the drivers cannot be identical.

I don't know how similar the rest of the protocol is, though.
Some postings by Luis to linux-wireless suggest that is would make
sense to share driver code between AR6001 and AR9271, so also the
AR6002 might be close.

Re: components to research

Jason Abele
Octopart may be useful for catalog parts, its a search engine that
aggregates multiple catalogs like Arrow, Newark, etc
http://octopart.com/

They have a fairly detailed search syntax, but so far, I mostly use
them for parts where I knew what part number I was seeking.

Just noticed that they have an API and even a web-based BOM manager,
but I haven't had time to look at them yet.
http://octopart.com/tools/

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Werner Almesberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> For the component search, I'd suggest to start by trying to locate
> sources for the major chips. Knowing one or more places that sell
> these chips won't preclude us from politely asking for samples, but
> it would give us the comfort of having a fallback solution if we're
> rejected or if negotiations draw out for too long.
>
> Once this groundwork is done, we can handle all the "birdseed" that
> makes the BOM look intimidating but usually isn't much of a problem.
>
> Here are the biggest critters:
>
> - CPU and memory MCP, Samsung, SC32442B54
>  http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/productInfo.do?fmly_id=229&partnum=SC32442&xFmly_id=229
>
> - PMU, NXP, PCF50633HN/04/N3,5
>  http://www.nxp.com/
>
> - Audio codec, Wolfson, WM8753LGEFL
>  http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/
>
> - u-blox 4 GPS chipset, ATR0635-7KQY and ATR0610-PQQ
>  http://www.u-blox.com/
>
> - Bluetooth Module, Delta, DFBM-CS320-FI1R
>  http://www.delta.com.tw/
>
> - WLAN Module, Accton, WM3236AQ
>  http://www.accton.com.tw/
>
> - LCD Module, Toppoly, TD028TTEC1
>  Toppoly is now apparently CHIMEI InnoLux,
>  http://www.chimei-innolux.com/
>  They may still trade as Toppoly or TPO
>
> To be viable, a source should be able to indicate stock availability
> and/or lead time, and the price for 20 units. Ideally, they would
> provide this information without having to call/mail, but many
> distributors prefer to surround their catalog with a veil of secrecy.
>
> If you find something, please post to the list or on #gta02-core.
>
> - Werner

Re: components to research

Werner Almesberger
Jason Abele wrote:
> Octopart may be useful for catalog parts, its a search engine that
> aggregates multiple catalogs like Arrow, Newark, etc
> http://octopart.com/

Sounds great, thanks ! I have to catch a plane now and will be
offline for a few days, but I hope someone else meanwhile can
put it to good use :-)

Re: components to research

Jason Abele wrote:
> http://octopart.com/

They're great ! I did a few quick searches and found a crystal at
Farnell and it gave a first hint where we can find the PCF50633.
It's now made/sold by ST Ericsson:
http://www.stericsson.com/sales_marketing_resources/PCF50633FL_1.pdf

Arrow have a price of a "PCF50633HN043UM" (USD 3.90, minimum order
1000 pieces) but no stock. We're getting closer.