Quantcast

cpu reclocking to 500Mhz, overclocking to 533Mhz, performance tests and bootloader images

cpu reclocking to 500Mhz, overclocking to 533Mhz, performance tests and bootloader images

Gennady Kupava
Hi,

> have you been able to test for stability over a few days of normal
operation?

I am using mostly 533/88/clk2 now and over versions for may be 5 days.
So far i have no problems. I run tests on all recommended versions, also
run cpu-intensive video decoding without problems. But i'm on .34 and
can't test some features, like suspend, sound, gsm, but things i tested
works good (usb, glamo video and mmc, cpu). I tried qtmoko and it were
working for 450 version.

Freerunner feels warmer, so i measured temperature, but without opening
that shielding. While 100% cpu load shield temperature is 32C.

Also i noticed it can't stand overnight without usb and suspend due to
bigger power consumption, but with suspend this should be ok.

i know 3 people who tryed it. one were unable to run any clk2 versions,
so he tried 533/clk3. but he very able to run 465 version with default
1.8 on memory bus.

One man reported he is unable to suspend, may be kernel need some fixes
to suspend/resume properly, but currently my .34 can't suspend more than
once anyway, so i didn't test this.

So far no unrecoverable errors reported. No fried frs. One man reported
"flash error" but this turned out to be bad sector on NAND, and he begun
experiments on NAND after changing clock, and we were unable to
attribute this to overclocking.

>I will need to patch/recompile my kernel besides
flashing a new Uboot.

No, you need to recompile/patch kernel only for versions with modified memory
bus voltage (forth number, if prefent in file name and != 1.8),
so 533/88, 500/83 versions may be tried without patches.

If you not were familiar with u-boot, here is instruction:
1. flash u-boot environment:
from nor u-boot on fr:
sudo dfu-util -a u-boot_env -D u-boot_env.in
2. check if default u-boot can boot you system and become familiar with environment:
power off, boot with pressing power and in 0.5 sec holding aux for a while.
3. flash reclocked u-boot:
sudo dfu-util -a u-boot -D u-boot.udfu_533_88_1.7_1.8_CLK2
4. try to boot it in similar way.
if not boots, try u-boot.udfu_533_88_1.7 , you may try also with more risk
u-boot.udfu_465_116_1.65_1.9 this may work without kernel patch.

Gennady.

Re: cpu reclocking to 500Mhz, overclocking to 533Mhz, performance tests and bootloader images

Tha_Man
Thanks a lot for the clarification! I successfully flashed my Freerunner with "u-boot.udfu_533_88_1.7_1.8_CLK2" and got the following results (from QtMoko/Debian):
neo:~# dmesg | grep -i mhz
[    0.000000] S3C244X: core 532.000 MHz, memory 88.666 MHz, peripheral 44.333 MHz
neo:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARM920T rev 0 (v4l)
BogoMIPS        : 265.42
Features        : swp half thumb
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 4T
CPU variant     : 0x1
CPU part        : 0x920
CPU revision    : 0

Hardware        : GTA02
Revision        : 24420360
Compared to the original clocks:
neo:~# dmesg | grep -i mhz
[    0.000000] S3C244X: core 400.000 MHz, memory 100.000 MHz, peripheral 50.000 MHz
neo:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARM920T rev 0 (v4l)
BogoMIPS        : 199.47
Features        : swp half thumb
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 4T
CPU variant     : 0x1
CPU part        : 0x920
CPU revision    : 0

Hardware        : GTA02
Revision        : 24420360
So basically from 200 bogoMIPS at 400Mhz to 265 bogoMIPS at 533Mhz, very nice! The QtMoko interface seemed even more responsive, I was able to operate my phone normally and start Navit for example.

However, QtMoko seems to have a problem with booting from u-boot using an SD card and suspending. I tried both with *and* without the overclock, but when I suspend my phone when I booted from u-boot, it won't resume... I'm using a QtMoko installation on my SD card, I haven't tried QtMoko on NAND-flash yet (can anyone confirm it should work?). This is obviously a QtMoko problem and not related to the overclock, but still I am curious: is it possible to achieve the overclock when booting with Qi, by setting kernel parameters or something?

Thanks for your efforts and I hope others will test it as well!

Cheers, Tha_Man

Re: cpu reclocking to 500Mhz, overclocking to 533Mhz, performance tests and bootloader images

Tha_Man
Hi again,
I couldn't resist to do some more testing, so I copied my QtMoko SDcard installation to NAND. QtMoko from NAND boots fine in most cases (see overview), it's suspend and resume that fails when overclocked. However, suspend and resume works fine with the original NAND U-boot and your default clocked U-boot. I've flashed the overclocked images exactly as you posted and flashed u-boot_env.in as well, no errors were reported during flashing. Here's an overview:

Tested under QtMoko v24, using different u-boot images flashed in NAND:
+ u-boot-gta02v5-1.3.1: works fine
+ u-boot.udfu_400_100_1.7: works fine
- u-boot.udfu_450_112_1.65_1.9: won't boot (hangs on 'Starting kernel...')
- u-boot.udfu_450_112_1.7_1.9_sdmax: won't boot (hangs on 'Starting kernel...')
* u-boot.udfu_500_83_1.7: fails to resume after suspend
* u-boot.udfu_500_83_1.7_1.8_CLK2: fails to resume after suspend
* u-boot.udfu_533_88_1.7: fails to resume after suspend
* u-boot.udfu_533_88_1.7_1.8_CLK2: fails to resume after suspend

So most u-boot images boot fine with QtMoko v24 and report the correct speeds, but my phone doesn't wake up after suspend with any of the overclocked images; I have to remove the battery to be able to boot again. Even the 450Mhz-images you reported as 'working under qtmoko' fail with me, but I'm not sure if you tested suspend and resume. I'm using the default v24-kernel, based on 2.6.29 I believe.

I hope my tests are of any help, if I need to test something else, please let me know.

Cheers,
Tha_Man

Re: cpu reclocking to 500Mhz, overclocking to 533Mhz, performance tests and bootloader images

Patryk Benderz
[cut]
> I suspend my phone when I booted from u-boot, it won't resume... I'm using a
> QtMoko installation on my SD card, I haven't tried QtMoko on NAND-flash yet
> (can anyone confirm it should work?).
Hi, I am using QtMoko on non-overclocked FR from NAND and it
suspends/resume fine.

--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521

Email secured by Check Point

Re: cpu reclocking to 500Mhz, overclocking to 533Mhz, performance tests and bootloader images

David Vermeille

2010/7/4 Tha_Man <[hidden email]>

[...]

I'm using QtMoko on SD from a long time and wanted to give these uboot versions (500 and 533) a try. I kept my uboot env because yours doesn't seem to add any new parameters.

They worked well but I have the same problems as Tha_Man : my FR doesn't resume after suspend.

Back to your 400 uboot, the same QtMoko (same partitions and uboot env) suspends and resumes well.

SHR-U suffers from the same symptoms.

I hope you'll be able to track and solve this problem because FR is really faster at 500 or 533 Mhz and that's great.

--
David

Re: cpu reclocking to 500Mhz, overclocking to 533Mhz, performance tests and bootloader images

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak-2
On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 19:19, David Vermeille <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/7/4 Tha_Man <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hi again,
>> I couldn't resist to do some more testing, so I copied my QtMoko SDcard
>> installation to NAND. QtMoko from NAND boots fine in most cases (see
>> overview), it's suspend and resume that fails when overclocked. However,
>> suspend and resume works fine with the original NAND U-boot and your
>> default
>> clocked U-boot. I've flashed the overclocked images exactly as you posted
>> and flashed u-boot_env.in as well, no errors were reported during
>> flashing.
>> Here's an overview:
>>
>> Tested under QtMoko v24, using different u-boot images flashed in NAND:
>> + u-boot-gta02v5-1.3.1: works fine
>> + u-boot.udfu_400_100_1.7: works fine
>> - u-boot.udfu_450_112_1.65_1.9: won't boot (hangs on 'Starting kernel...')
>> - u-boot.udfu_450_112_1.7_1.9_sdmax: won't boot (hangs on 'Starting
>> kernel...')
>> * u-boot.udfu_500_83_1.7: fails to resume after suspend
>> * u-boot.udfu_500_83_1.7_1.8_CLK2: fails to resume after suspend
>> * u-boot.udfu_533_88_1.7: fails to resume after suspend
>> * u-boot.udfu_533_88_1.7_1.8_CLK2: fails to resume after suspend
>>
>> So most u-boot images boot fine with QtMoko v24 and report the correct
>> speeds, but my phone doesn't wake up after suspend with any of the
>> overclocked images; I have to remove the battery to be able to boot again.
>> Even the 450Mhz-images you reported as 'working under qtmoko' fail with
>> me,
>> but I'm not sure if you tested suspend and resume. I'm using the default
>> v24-kernel, based on 2.6.29 I believe.
>>
>> I hope my tests are of any help, if I need to test something else, please
>> let me know.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tha_Man
>> --

> I'm using QtMoko on SD from a long time and wanted to give these uboot
> versions (500 and 533) a try. I kept my uboot env because yours doesn't seem
> to add any new parameters.
>
> They worked well but I have the same problems as Tha_Man : my FR doesn't
> resume after suspend.
>
> Back to your 400 uboot, the same QtMoko (same partitions and uboot env)
> suspends and resumes well.
>
> SHR-U suffers from the same symptoms.
>
> I hope you'll be able to track and solve this problem because FR is really
> faster at 500 or 533 Mhz and that's great.
>
> --
> David

Try 450 or 465 versions. With them suspend and resume works well for me :)

--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak
dos

Re: cpu reclocking to 500Mhz, overclocking to 533Mhz, performance tests and bootloader images

Tha_Man
Hi,
Gennady suggested the same thing, but the 450Mhz-settings fail on kernel start (see my previous message, I haven't tried the 465 settings). These settings need a recompiled kernel according to Gennady's first message, did you recompile your kernel? If not, I'm very curious why it doesn't work for me! I'm assuming you're running QtMoko v24 as well, either from SD or NAND.

Cheers,
Tha_Man

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 21:23, Tha_Man <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Gennady suggested the same thing, but the 450Mhz-settings fail on kernel
> start (see my previous message, I haven't tried the 465 settings). These
> settings need a recompiled kernel according to Gennady's first message, did
> you recompile your kernel? If not, I'm very curious why it doesn't work for
> me! I'm assuming you're running QtMoko v24 as well, either from SD or NAND.
>
> Cheers,
> Tha_Man

450/112 and 465/116 settings work for me even with 1.55V (just tested)
and it seems to not work for others, as they need at least 1.65V :x
But I can't use 533/88 nor CLK3, so it seems to be kind of deal ;) (or
just component tolerance :D)

I'm using SHR with our default 2.6.32 kernel.

--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak
dos

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 21:36, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 21:23, Tha_Man <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Gennady suggested the same thing, but the 450Mhz-settings fail on kernel
>> start (see my previous message, I haven't tried the 465 settings). These
>> settings need a recompiled kernel according to Gennady's first message, did
>> you recompile your kernel? If not, I'm very curious why it doesn't work for
>> me! I'm assuming you're running QtMoko v24 as well, either from SD or NAND.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tha_Man
>
> 450/112 and 465/116 settings work for me even with 1.55V (just tested)
> and it seems to not work for others, as they need at least 1.65V :x
> But I can't use 533/88 nor CLK3, so it seems to be kind of deal ;) (or
> just component tolerance :D)
>
> I'm using SHR with our default 2.6.32 kernel.

If someone wants to test:
http://dos.openmoko.pl/overclock/qi-s3c2442-master_c38b062a609f1442-dos-465-116-1.55-1.8.udfu
Qi with CPU clocked at 465MHz with 1.55V and memory at 115MHz with
1.8V (so no kernel patch needed)
http://dos.openmoko.pl/overclock/465-116-1.55-1.8.patch

It works for me and so far seems to be stable, but most of you will
probably need memory voltage being bumped to 1.9V and for that you
need to patch kernel.

I have GTA02A5 with date code 20080621.

U-Boots compiled by gena2x are available at http://bsdmn.com/openmoko/uboot500/

--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak
dos

More Qi's to test at http://dos.openmoko.pl/overclock/

--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak
dos

Re: cpu reclocking to 500Mhz, overclocking to 533Mhz, performance tests and bootloader images

Tha_Man
Thanks a lot! I have done some testing again, this time with Qi:
the default QtMoko kernel (2.6.29-rc3) gives an error/kernel panic when booting with the (*any*) overclocked Qi, while the SHR-U kernel (2.6.32) *does* boot. I haven't tested SHR-U any further, but if you're saying it suspends and resumes fine, I believe you :-)
I get nothing but a black screen and flashing AUX button with the QtMoko kernel, while the SHR-U kernel boots fine. So there is quite a difference in kernel config, or maybe even kernel version. I hope someone can find out what kernel config (or bootloader adjustments) is needed for the overclock to be successful (both under u-boot and Qi), because this still is very promising! Especially the different CPU voltages are very nice to experiment with, that should give a good balance between speed, heat and power consumption.

Cheers, Tha_Man