dfu_upload error -84 when trying to backup images

dfu_upload error -84 when trying to backup images

shawnzier
I'm getting the following error when trying to backup rootfs:

dfu_upload error -84

I've been able to back up the other partitions, but the rootfs fails
every time at 258076672 Bytes. I think this is the size of the rootfs,
but how can I be sure?

I don't want to flash it with this image if there is missing data. I
also don't want to try to flash it with 2008.8 if I'm not sure that it
will complete. If it doesn't complete, will I be left with a brick until
I can get it to complete successfully, or does it not write until the
whole image is transferred?

The host is a Macbook Pro CoreDuo (not C2D) running Gentoo.

Has anybody had a similar experience?

Re: dfu_upload error -84 when trying to backup images

xiangfu

Re: dfu_upload error -84 when trying to backup images

Vikas Saurabh
I dont think this is related to the architecture. I had faced similar
issue on core duo (i had put a comment on the wiki for the same). Btw,
i didnt have to flash the back up image so i dont know if it actually
worked out correctly.

Re: dfu_upload error -84 when trying to backup images

Christian Weßel
I just have the same problem. But I wasn't in time to report it to an
existing ticket about dfu_util problems.

I guess there are same problems with dfu.

christian

Am Samstag, den 16.08.2008, 21:36 +0530 schrieb Vikas Saurabh:

> I dont think this is related to the architecture. I had faced similar
> issue on core duo (i had put a comment on the wiki for the same). Btw,
> i didnt have to flash the back up image so i dont know if it actually
> worked out correctly.
>
> On 8/16/08, xiangfu <[hidden email]> wrote:

mfg/br, christian weßel

Flurstraße 14
29640 Schneverdingen
Germany

E-Mail: [hidden email]
Telefon: +49 5193 97 14 95
Mobile:  +49 171 357 59 57
http://wesselch.homelinux.org

Re: dfu_upload error -84 when trying to backup images

Russell Sears
I tried this once and got the same error.

Then I ran grep on the image file it produced with words that I knew
were present in the filesystem like "headphone" "mono" and "state".  I
couldn't find any words in the image, so I don't think the files it
produces contain real data.  It could be that it's doing something very
strange, like flipping bits or re-encoding blocks in the dump file.
Since upload is known to be broken, I didn't look into it any further:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Dfu-util#--upload

-Rusty

Christian Weßel wrote:

> I just have the same problem. But I wasn't in time to report it to an
> existing ticket about dfu_util problems.
>
> I guess there are same problems with dfu.
>
> christian
>
> Am Samstag, den 16.08.2008, 21:36 +0530 schrieb Vikas Saurabh:
>> I dont think this is related to the architecture. I had faced similar
>> issue on core duo (i had put a comment on the wiki for the same). Btw,
>> i didnt have to flash the back up image so i dont know if it actually
>> worked out correctly.

Re: dfu_upload error -84 when trying to backup images

Vikas Saurabh
Try mounting the jffs2 file as mentioned in the wiki. Check the
mounted file-system.
-Vikas

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 09:36:43PM +0530, Vikas Saurabh wrote:
> I dont think this is related to the architecture. I had faced similar
> issue on core duo (i had put a comment on the wiki for the same). Btw,
> i didnt have to flash the back up image so i dont know if it actually
> worked out correctly.

So does flashing new images work? Is it just uploading that's broken?

[hidden email] wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 09:36:43PM +0530, Vikas Saurabh wrote:
>> I dont think this is related to the architecture. I had faced similar
>> issue on core duo (i had put a comment on the wiki for the same). Btw,
>> i didnt have to flash the back up image so i dont know if it actually
>> worked out correctly.
>
> So does flashing new images work? Is it just uploading that's broken?

Yes, and yes.

-Rusty

roh

Re: dfu_upload error -84 when trying to backup images

roh
Administrator
Russell Sears wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 09:36:43PM +0530, Vikas Saurabh wrote:
>>> I dont think this is related to the architecture. I had faced similar
>>> issue on core duo (i had put a comment on the wiki for the same). Btw,
>>> i didnt have to flash the back up image so i dont know if it actually
>>> worked out correctly.
>> So does flashing new images work? Is it just uploading that's broken?
>
> Yes, and yes.
>
> -Rusty

please refer to these tickets:

https://docs.openmoko.org/trac/tags?q='dfu'