distro>unstable

sushama
Hi Angus,

I have some questions about the images in Unstable>Neofreerunner

1) I see 3 different kernels in the Unstable>neofreerunner-Andy
tracking,OE,Stable.Which is the one we need to use for testing

2) Can we have just 1 kernel in that list with the same name always,like the
fso-paroli-image-gta02.(Instead of having the version no ,just a common name
always)

3) I see that the images take a long time to build.Some days its only by
Taipei time 4-5PM that the images in unstable branch are updated to date.Is
there a way we can have the image ready by at least 11 AM Taipei time so that
we can start testing with everyday image .

4) If we do not have any changes in the Kernel since last day ,do we still
build the kernel again without any changes?Because at this moment I see that
the unstable>neofreerunner is updated with fso-paroli-image-om-gta02.jffs2
and it has today's date(26-Feb)but the kernel still shows 25-Feb. Should we
expect the kernel to show today's date or is it just because there are no
changes since yesterday.

Regards,
Sushama

Re: distro>unstable

Werner Almesberger
sushama wrote:
> 2) Can we have just 1 kernel in that list with the same name always,like the
> fso-paroli-image-gta02.(Instead of having the version no ,just a common name
> always)

I'd suggest to have both: one with the full version etc. for people
who need a permanent location of that specific file and a short one
for people who want to know where to find the latest.

We can use different directories if the number of files causes
confusion. Just make sure that files don't have to be moved and
cause broken links.

Re: distro>unstable

Guillaume Chereau
On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 07:52 -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:

> sushama wrote:
> > 2) Can we have just 1 kernel in that list with the same name always,like the
> > fso-paroli-image-gta02.(Instead of having the version no ,just a common name
> > always)
>
> I'd suggest to have both: one with the full version etc. for people
> who need a permanent location of that specific file and a short one
> for people who want to know where to find the latest.
>
> We can use different directories if the number of files causes
> confusion. Just make sure that files don't have to be moved and
> cause broken links.
What about having them all in the same directory and have an html web
page with links to the last versions ?

-guillaume

Re: distro>unstable

andy green-3

Re: distro>unstable

Angus Ainslie-2
On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 17:58 +0800, sushama wrote:
> Hi Angus,
>
> I have some questions about the images in Unstable>Neofreerunner
>
> 1) I see 3 different kernels in the Unstable>neofreerunner-Andy
> tracking,OE,Stable.Which is the one we need to use for testing

The current kernel for the images is

uImage-2.6.28-oe1+gitr34240a1c06ae36180dee695aa25bbae869b2aa26-r3-om-gta02.bin

I will add that to the readme in that directory. Within the next week I
hope to change that to the stable kernel in that directory.

> 2) Can we have just 1 kernel in that list with the same name always,like the
> fso-paroli-image-gta02.(Instead of having the version no ,just a common name
> always)

I'll add a link image-kernel in the directory that will be the correct
kernel for the current images.

> 3) I see that the images take a long time to build.Some days its only by
> Taipei time 4-5PM that the images in unstable branch are updated to date.Is
> there a way we can have the image ready by at least 11 AM Taipei time so that
> we can start testing with everyday image .

The images are currently built on CET time so I'll try and rearrange
them to build for Taipei.

> 4) If we do not have any changes in the Kernel since last day ,do we still
> build the kernel again without any changes?Because at this moment I see that
> the unstable>neofreerunner is updated with fso-paroli-image-om-gta02.jffs2
> and it has today's date(26-Feb)but the kernel still shows 25-Feb. Should we
> expect the kernel to show today's date or is it just because there are no
> changes since yesterday.

The kernels used to get rebuilt from scratch everyday but it was taking
too long. So now they only get rebuilt when there are changes. The
images still get a complete rebuild. So it could be that the date on the
kernel will be older than the image date.

> Regards,
> Sushama

Angus

Re: distro>unstable

Angus Ainslie-2
On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 20:58 +0800, Andy Green wrote:

Hi Andy,

That's where we're heading but it's not there quite yet. The current
images are built from the FSO milestone 5 branch so the kernel is pegged
at an earlier version.

In the next few days I will be move us onto a new branch that will use
stable from our git tree as the kernel. That will put some more eyes  on
it so you can get some feedback.

Angus

Re: distro>unstable

andy green-3

Re: distro>unstable

Angus Ainslie-2
On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 06:55 -0700, Angus Ainslie wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 17:58 +0800, sushama wrote:
> > Hi Angus,
> >
> > I have some questions about the images in Unstable>Neofreerunner
> >
> > 1) I see 3 different kernels in the Unstable>neofreerunner-Andy
> > tracking,OE,Stable.Which is the one we need to use for testing
>
> The current kernel for the images is
>
> uImage-2.6.28-oe1+gitr34240a1c06ae36180dee695aa25bbae869b2aa26-r3-om-gta02.bin
>
> I will add that to the readme in that directory. Within the next week I
> hope to change that to the stable kernel in that directory.

I just had another look at this and the way I am building the images the
modules for all of the kernels in that directory get included in the
image. I will still create a readme and a link to the recommended
kernel.

Angus