greetings from the freecalypso project

mail
Please excuse touch of plug and slight bit of off-topic-ness, but just to let anyone here with interest in free (as in source code available) baseband firmware, that the freecalypso project is making strides.

Progressing on from the stable leo2moko release for the freerunner made some time ago, we are hopefully not too far away from offering a firmware compiled entirely from source code (remaining binary blobs removed) by GCC.

We are particularly excited with recent progress targeting the Motorola C139, very much a work in progress, but calls and SMS work and our firmware runs the GUI!

Make a glance at

https://www.freecalypso.org

and

https://www.freecalypso.org/howtos/

Best wishes

--
David Matthews

Re: greetings from the freecalypso project

Nick-2
Quoth [hidden email]:
> Please excuse touch of plug and slight bit of off-topic-ness, but just to let anyone here with interest in free (as in source code available) baseband firmware, that the freecalypso project is making strides.

Congratulations folks. I haven't had the time or energy to
participate in the project at all, but I'm really glad you're making
such good strides.

Keep it up! :)

Re: greetings from the freecalypso project

Paul Wise-2
On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 1:01 AM, David Matthews wrote:

> Please excuse touch of plug and slight bit of off-topic-ness, but just to let anyone here with interest in free (as in source code available) baseband firmware, that the freecalypso project is making strides.

Are you planning to rewrite the proprietary source code from TI/etc so
that freecalypso could be released under a Free Software license?

--
bye,
pabs

Re: greetings from the freecalypso project

Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Paul Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you planning to rewrite the proprietary source code from TI/etc so
> that freecalypso could be released under a Free Software license?

Absolutely not.  The 1000 person-years that would be required for such
a task should instead be spent doing something more productive, like
searching for a cancer cure.  Anyone who spends his or her time
reimplementing perfectly good existing code merely because of license-
worshipping concerns is guilty of contributing to human suffering, and
thus a disgrace in my eyes.

If you have voluntarily chosen to obey a law that deems the abandonware
in question to be proprietary rather than public domain, it is YOUR
problem and not ours.

SF

Re: greetings from the freecalypso project

Paul Wise
On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Spacefalcon the Outlaw wrote:

> If you have voluntarily chosen to obey a law that deems the abandonware
> in question to be proprietary rather than public domain, it is YOUR
> problem and not ours.

You are reminding me of this talk and cartoon by Nina Paley.

http://blog.ninapaley.com/2015/10/22/copyright-is-brain-damage/
https://vimeo.com/50481436

--
bye,
pabs

Re: greetings from the freecalypso project

Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Paul Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You are reminding me of this talk and cartoon by Nina Paley.
>
> http://blog.ninapaley.com/2015/10/22/copyright-is-brain-damage/
> https://vimeo.com/50481436

Her talk is wonderful, I agree with her 100%, she should be an
inspiration to everyone here.  Thanks for posting the links.

M~