gta02 as gps/navigator (in 2016)

Davide Scaini
Hi all,

incredible but true 2016 has arrived.

I would like to reuse the gta02 as a gps, I really loved foxtrotGPS and I would like to have something like that running.
Any chance to have a distribution that still works on gta02?

qtmoko: still there? (even if I remember it was quite uncomfortable running gtk applications)
shr: abandoned ?
hackable1: disappeared (I have good memories of that one ;) )

Thanks for your help!
Best,
Davide

Re: gta02 as gps/navigator (in 2016)

mail
hi

>I would like to reuse the gta02 as a gps, I really loved foxtrotGPS and I
>would like to have something like that running.
>Any chance to have a distribution that still works on gta02?

>qtmoko: still there? (even if I remember it was quite uncomfortable running

http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/

still there, but i think it's fair to say it's abandoned. The last versions were as good as it got on the freerunner IMO, but the main (pretty much single) developer got fed up with not having a decent kernel even after x years.

>shr: abandoned ?

the later versions were hopelessly broken and unusable on the freerunner.

>hackable1: disappeared (I have good memories of that one ;) )

yeah probably; anyway I'd definitely recommend qtmoko as the best bet

--
David Matthews

R: gta02 as gps/navigator (in 2016)

giacomo 'giotti' mariani
Some years ago I tried Debian and I think it would be the best environment if you don't want to use the gsm. Qtmoko runs over Debian as well.

By the way I am going to resume my freerunner as well: I'd like to use it as a car navigator with navit. So please let us know how it goes 😊

Cheers,
  Giacomo

>I would like to reuse the gta02 as a gps, I really loved foxtrotGPS and I
>would like to have something like that running.
>Any chance to have a distribution that still works on gta02?

>qtmoko: still there? (even if I remember it was quite uncomfortable running

http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/

still there, but i think it's fair to say it's abandoned. The last versions were as good as it got on the freerunner IMO, but the main (pretty much single) developer got fed up with not having a decent kernel even after x years.

>shr: abandoned ?

the later versions were hopelessly broken and unusable on the freerunner.

>hackable1: disappeared (I have good memories of that one ;) )

yeah probably; anyway I'd definitely recommend qtmoko as the best bet

--
David Matthews

Re: R: gta02 as gps/navigator (in 2016)

Jose Luis Perez Diez
El Dilluns 25 Gener 2016, a les 23:13:00, Giacomo Mariani va escriure:
> >shr: abandoned ?
>
> the later versions were hopelessly broken and unusable on the freerunner.

I think that SHR is the only active,  but I haven’t time to test it  lately  and from  http://shr-project.org/trac/wiki/StagingTests it seems that other people had
the same problems, But it has god documentation on how to build it and is the one that has more targets

Re: gta02 as gps/navigator (in 2016)

Radek Polak

On Monday 25 of January 2016 20:30:40 [hidden email] wrote:

> >qtmoko: still there? (even if I remember it was quite uncomfortable running

> http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/

> still there, but i think it's fair to say it's abandoned. The last versions

> were as good as it got on the freerunner IMO, but the main (pretty much

> single) developer got fed up with not having a decent kernel even after x

> years.

The 2.6.39 kernel is nearly perfect. It has some kind of very rare suspend resume bug, but for navigation it's not problem.

QtMoko has NeronGPS - native Qt and very nice app and also native version of navit:

http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/apps/qtmoko-navit.html

You can launch TangoGPS and other X apps via QX application.

My Freerunner has no longer working GPS, so i am not using it nowadays at all.

Regards

Radek

Re: gta02 as gps/navigator (in 2016)

Davide Scaini
Thanks for the replies.
Well it would be nice to use gsm as well... I was thinking about using it also as anti-theft (gps+accel+sms).

I remember having a lot of problems of data corruption on the sd card with shr (which was my favourite at the time), that I think might be a serious show-stopper.

I will start with debian, and if you have any other ideas please tell.

Best,

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 11:13 PM, Giacomo Mariani <[hidden email]> wrote:
Some years ago I tried Debian and I think it would be the best environment if you don't want to use the gsm. Qtmoko runs over Debian as well.

By the way I am going to resume my freerunner as well: I'd like to use it as a car navigator with navit. So please let us know how it goes 😊

Cheers,
  Giacomo

>I would like to reuse the gta02 as a gps, I really loved foxtrotGPS and I
>would like to have something like that running.
>Any chance to have a distribution that still works on gta02?

>qtmoko: still there? (even if I remember it was quite uncomfortable running

http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/

still there, but i think it's fair to say it's abandoned. The last versions were as good as it got on the freerunner IMO, but the main (pretty much single) developer got fed up with not having a decent kernel even after x years.

>shr: abandoned ?

the later versions were hopelessly broken and unusable on the freerunner.

>hackable1: disappeared (I have good memories of that one ;) )

yeah probably; anyway I'd definitely recommend qtmoko as the best bet

--
David Matthews

Re: gta02 as gps/navigator (in 2016)

Davide Scaini
Another option would be buying something like the DragonBoard 410c​ and find a small touch screen to plug. Any idea about a cheap+decent+small+waterproof touchscreen?

Thanks again

Re: gta02 as gps/navigator (in 2016)

Nick-2
Quoth Davide Scaini:
> Another option would be buying something like the DragonBoard 410c​ and
> find a small touch screen to plug. Any idea about a
> cheap+decent+small+waterproof touchscreen?

Or get a mainstream satnav and put exclusively free software on it.
That would probably be the cheapest option. Are there projects to do
this?  I presume they all run Linux anyway, but maybe not enough
people are interested.

Re: gta02 as gps/navigator (in 2016)

Davide Scaini
googling I didn't find anything relevant/up-to-date about installing linux on a satnav ... :(
it would be easier to buy a cheap android tablet and use it as a satnav

Re: gta02 as gps/navigator (in 2016)

Davide Scaini
Thanks Radek for the info and your incredible, and not enough recognised, effort with qtmoko!
I will try qtmoko as a first option ;)

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Radek Polak <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Monday 25 of January 2016 20:30:40 [hidden email] wrote:

> >qtmoko: still there? (even if I remember it was quite uncomfortable running

> http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/

> still there, but i think it's fair to say it's abandoned. The last versions

> were as good as it got on the freerunner IMO, but the main (pretty much

> single) developer got fed up with not having a decent kernel even after x

> years.

The 2.6.39 kernel is nearly perfect. It has some kind of very rare suspend resume bug, but for navigation it's not problem.

QtMoko has NeronGPS - native Qt and very nice app and also native version of navit:

http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/apps/qtmoko-navit.html

You can launch TangoGPS and other X apps via QX application.

My Freerunner has no longer working GPS, so i am not using it nowadays at all.

Regards

Radek

Re: gta02 as gps/navigator (in 2016)

Joerg Reisenweber
On Tue 26 January 2016 09:18:57 Radek Polak wrote:
> My Freerunner has no longer working GPS, so i am not using it nowadays at
> all.

What's the problem with the GPS? Could a spare antenna module incl cable help
you out?
Just holler if you need one

/j
--
()  ascii ribbon campaign
/\

On Tuesday 26 of January 2016 16:28:54 joerg Reisenweber wrote:

> What's the problem with the GPS? Could a spare antenna module incl cable

> help you out?

> Just holler if you need one

I don't know exactly - it's long time since i tried. I remember Pavel was having similar problem - probably weak signal since he said his GPS got fix when he was near some GPS amplifier.

Anyways i use N900 nowadays - works nearly perfectly and i love that it has decent camera. Btw a little off topic. Can be N900 kernel compiled using armhf toolchain? So that i can chroot into armhf chroot. I am mainly interested if i could get faster web browser and IIRC QtMoko had much better performance when switched from armel->armhf.

Regards

Radek