new process for deleting pages

Marko Knöbl-2
This is a proposal for a new method for deleting pages. I think that
the current process for deleting pages is a bad method and should be
improved.

Currently the deletion of a page can be requested at the Wiki Issues
page[1] by listing it in the table and providing a reason there.
Afterwards all users can vote by entering their username into a
column.
Furthermore there is the option of speedy deletion which is mostly
used for spam. This can be done by adding the "Delete" template to the
page so an admin can delete it.

I think the process of "unspeedy deletion" (the first one) is not
ideal because of two reasons:

1) People will only notice that the page is proposed for deletion if
they check the Wiki Issues page regularly. There has been very little
activity on this page in the last months and I have already deleted
several pages where I was the only one who voted.

2) Discussing the proposal for deletion is hardly possible

Therefore I'm proposing these changes to the process of deletion:

1) All pages which are proposed for deletion will be marked with a
spectial template (similar to the one marking candidates for speedy
delition [2]). This will make more people aware of the fact that the a
page is proposed for deletion.

2) The section "pages proposed for deletion" should have separate
subsections where people can discuss about each page that is proposed
for deletion.

As usual, any comments are welcome!

marko

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wiki_Issues
[2] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Template:Delete

Re: new process for deleting pages

Alishams Hassam-2
On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 17:03 +0100, Marko Knöbl wrote:

> I think the process of "unspeedy deletion" (the first one) is not
> ideal because of two reasons:
>
> 1) People will only notice that the page is proposed for deletion if
> they check the Wiki Issues page regularly. There has been very little
> activity on this page in the last months and I have already deleted
> several pages where I was the only one who voted.
>
> 2) Discussing the proposal for deletion is hardly possible
>
> Therefore I'm proposing these changes to the process of deletion:
>
> 1) All pages which are proposed for deletion will be marked with a
> spectial template (similar to the one marking candidates for speedy
> delition [2]). This will make more people aware of the fact that the a
> page is proposed for deletion.
>
> 2) The section "pages proposed for deletion" should have separate
> subsections where people can discuss about each page that is proposed
> for deletion.

This sounds alot better to me. I didn't even know those sections existed
else I would've checked more often. Since I don't forsee mass deletions,
I would also like to propose a message be sent to this list (perhaps
automated). I don't check the lesser known pages too often but do make
use of them sometimes, having a message on the list ensures those of us
who want to pay attention have blatent reminders.

Re: new process for deleting pages

Petr Vanek
>1) All pages which are proposed for deletion will be marked with a
>spectial template (similar to the one marking candidates for speedy
>delition [2]). This will make more people aware of the fact that the a
>page is proposed for deletion.

this is a good idea. although if you never visit that marked page you
will not become aware of the proposal but it's much better then now and
probably the best solution atm. auto mailing this list from wiki seems a
bit too much obtrusive imho.

Petr

2010/2/3, Alishams Hassam <[hidden email]>:

> This sounds alot better to me. I didn't even know those sections existed
> else I would've checked more often. Since I don't forsee mass deletions,
> I would also like to propose a message be sent to this list (perhaps
> automated). I don't check the lesser known pages too often but do make
> use of them sometimes, having a message on the list ensures those of us
> who want to pay attention have blatent reminders.

I agree with Petr here: As a mailing list is intended for discussions
and not for notifications i think sending such messages over the list
is a bad idea.

If you would like to get a notification about this I'd like to point
out that you can subscribe to an RSS/Atom - feed which notifies you
when a page is changed. You can subscribe to this feed from the page's
"history" tab on the wiki.

As the feedback has been positive so far I'll soon start a draft for a
new guideline for the Openmoko Wiki Editing Guidelines on my user
page. ( http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/User:Marko_Knöbl/ )

Re: new process for deleting pages

Patryk Benderz
Dnia 2010-02-03, śro o godzinie 10:17 +0100, Marko Knöbl pisze:

> 2010/2/3, Alishams Hassam <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > This sounds alot better to me. I didn't even know those sections existed
> > else I would've checked more often. Since I don't forsee mass deletions,
> > I would also like to propose a message be sent to this list (perhaps
> > automated). I don't check the lesser known pages too often but do make
> > use of them sometimes, having a message on the list ensures those of us
> > who want to pay attention have blatent reminders.
> >
> I agree with Petr here: As a mailing list is intended for discussions
> and not for notifications i think sending such messages over the list
> is a bad idea.
what about [hidden email] ? Not such a bad idea, huh?

--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521

Email secured by Check Point

Re: new process for deleting pages

Patryk Benderz
[cut]
> 1) All pages which are proposed for deletion will be marked with a
> spectial template (similar to the one marking candidates for speedy
> delition [2]). This will make more people aware of the fact that the a
> page is proposed for deletion.
I agree, but please lets put this frame/template/notice at the top of a
page.

> 2) The section "pages proposed for deletion" should have separate
> subsections where people can discuss about each page that is proposed
> for deletion.
I think "discussion" tab/link is good enough for this. Isn't it?

2010/2/3, Marko Knöbl <[hidden email]>:

> 2010/2/3, Alishams Hassam <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> This sounds alot better to me. I didn't even know those sections existed
>> else I would've checked more often. Since I don't forsee mass deletions,
>> I would also like to propose a message be sent to this list (perhaps
>> automated). I don't check the lesser known pages too often but do make
>> use of them sometimes, having a message on the list ensures those of us
>> who want to pay attention have blatent reminders.
>>
> I agree with Petr here: As a mailing list is intended for discussions
> and not for notifications i think sending such messages over the list
> is a bad idea.
>
> If you would like to get a notification about this I'd like to point
> out that you can subscribe to an RSS/Atom - feed which notifies you
> when a page is changed. You can subscribe to this feed from the page's
> "history" tab on the wiki.
>
> As the feedback has been positive so far I'll soon start a draft for a
> new guideline for the Openmoko Wiki Editing Guidelines on my user
> page. ( http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/User:Marko_Knöbl/ )

Here's the right link, sorry:

2010/2/3, Patryk Benderz <[hidden email]>:
> [cut]
>> 1) All pages which are proposed for deletion will be marked with a
>> spectial template (similar to the one marking candidates for speedy
>> delition [2]). This will make more people aware of the fact that the a
>> page is proposed for deletion.
> I agree, but please lets put this frame/template/notice at the top of a
> page.
I agree - When there is a deletion discussion the template should
definitely be at the top. When there is a speedy deletion I think the
position of the notice doesn't really matter.

>> 2) The section "pages proposed for deletion" should have separate
>> subsections where people can discuss about each page that is proposed
>> for deletion.
> I think "discussion" tab/link is good enough for this. Isn't it?
I would prefer having it at the wiki issues page itself. Other issues
are discussed on that page too - I think it's better to have them in
one place!

2010/2/1, Marko Knöbl <[hidden email]>:

> This is a proposal for a new method for deleting pages. I think that
> the current process for deleting pages is a bad method and should be
> improved.
>
> Currently the deletion of a page can be requested at the Wiki Issues
> page[1] by listing it in the table and providing a reason there.
> Afterwards all users can vote by entering their username into a
> column.
> Furthermore there is the option of speedy deletion which is mostly
> used for spam. This can be done by adding the "Delete" template to the
> page so an admin can delete it.
>
> I think the process of "unspeedy deletion" (the first one) is not
> ideal because of two reasons:
>
> 1) People will only notice that the page is proposed for deletion if
> they check the Wiki Issues page regularly. There has been very little
> activity on this page in the last months and I have already deleted
> several pages where I was the only one who voted.
>
> 2) Discussing the proposal for deletion is hardly possible
>
> Therefore I'm proposing these changes to the process of deletion:
>
> 1) All pages which are proposed for deletion will be marked with a
> spectial template (similar to the one marking candidates for speedy
> delition [2]). This will make more people aware of the fact that the a
> page is proposed for deletion.
>
> 2) The section "pages proposed for deletion" should have separate
> subsections where people can discuss about each page that is proposed
> for deletion.
>
> As usual, any comments are welcome!
>
> marko
>
> [1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wiki_Issues
> [2] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Template:Delete

I have just changed the policy in the Wiki Editing Guidelines. I did
this because there were several pages I have wanted to delete for some
time now and the general opinion here seems to be that the old way of
deleting pages was not satisfying. This does not mean that the
guideline is final, please keep discussing to refine it!