opimd contact interface

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

opimd contact interface

piratebab
Hi all,
I am waiting for the coatact list managed by opimd ..
And while waiting, I am dreaming of what is the best UI for me.

On the main screen, only 8 icons for my "favorite" contacts.
Then a big icon "others" on bottom screen (finger friendly)

When I touch it, I have a new screen:
on half  bottom screen a keyboard finger friendly (ie, similar to the
PIN code keyboard), and on the half top, the contact list.
On half top right: 2 finger friendly arrows (top and down). I can use it
to scroll the contact list, or use my finger directly on the list as
today to scroll it

When I press a letter on the keyboard, only contact name that start
whith this letter are displayed.
If I pres an other letter, only contacts that start with these 2 letters
appears in the list ...

Do you have the some dream ?



_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

kimaidou
+100000 and more for this !!!

Kimaidou

2009/3/31 piratebab <[hidden email]>
Hi all,
I am waiting for the coatact list managed by opimd ..
And while waiting, I am dreaming of what is the best UI for me.

On the main screen, only 8 icons for my "favorite" contacts.
Then a big icon "others" on bottom screen (finger friendly)

When I touch it, I have a new screen:
on half  bottom screen a keyboard finger friendly (ie, similar to the
PIN code keyboard), and on the half top, the contact list.
On half top right: 2 finger friendly arrows (top and down). I can use it
to scroll the contact list, or use my finger directly on the list as
today to scroll it

When I press a letter on the keyboard, only contact name that start
whith this letter are displayed.
If I pres an other letter, only contacts that start with these 2 letters
appears in the list ...

Do you have the some dream ?



_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel


_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

Helge Hafting
In reply to this post by piratebab
piratebab wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am waiting for the coatact list managed by opimd ..
> And while waiting, I am dreaming of what is the best UI for me.
>
I am looking forward to getting anything at all, for the contact list in
my SIM-card is full. :-/

Your dream seems nice enough.

My wishes for a contact list is:
* finger friendly, so no very small things
* A _minimum_ of clicks/operations for doing common tasks.
   - Your "8 favourites" helps with this - these contacts
     are on the front page so no need to go looking for them.
     Maybe the last 2 "non-favourites" dialled ought to be there too,
     because repeating calls is common when someone is hard
     to reach.
   - The most common operations on contacts is to call them or send them
     a SMS. So to achieve a minimum of clicks, each contact displayed
     need to have two pushbuttons - "call" and "sms". So, only ONE
     click for the most common operations. Other operations
    (edit, delete,...) are not so critical. So, the "select contact and
    then use a menu"-way is ok for that. But not for making calls or
    messages.

    To save space, the "call" button could simply be the contact icon
    itself.

When editing a contact, it ought to be possible to select an image for
that contact. Currently, images have to be brought in via the
filesystem/web, but we will hopefully be able to receive MMS too
eventually.  And future phones will have a camera.

Helge Hafting

_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

Yorick Moko
another idea:
when you want to send an sms to a lotof contacts, it can hel to be
able to select them all, without always having to press "add contact"
everytime

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Helge Hafting <[hidden email]> wrote:

> piratebab wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am waiting for the coatact list managed by opimd ..
>> And while waiting, I am dreaming of what is the best UI for me.
>>
> I am looking forward to getting anything at all, for the contact list in
> my SIM-card is full. :-/
>
> Your dream seems nice enough.
>
> My wishes for a contact list is:
> * finger friendly, so no very small things
> * A _minimum_ of clicks/operations for doing common tasks.
>   - Your "8 favourites" helps with this - these contacts
>     are on the front page so no need to go looking for them.
>     Maybe the last 2 "non-favourites" dialled ought to be there too,
>     because repeating calls is common when someone is hard
>     to reach.
>   - The most common operations on contacts is to call them or send them
>     a SMS. So to achieve a minimum of clicks, each contact displayed
>     need to have two pushbuttons - "call" and "sms". So, only ONE
>     click for the most common operations. Other operations
>    (edit, delete,...) are not so critical. So, the "select contact and
>    then use a menu"-way is ok for that. But not for making calls or
>    messages.
>
>    To save space, the "call" button could simply be the contact icon
>    itself.
>
> When editing a contact, it ought to be possible to select an image for
> that contact. Currently, images have to be brought in via the
> filesystem/web, but we will hopefully be able to receive MMS too
> eventually.  And future phones will have a camera.
>
> Helge Hafting
>
> _______________________________________________
> Shr-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
>

_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

Helge Hafting
Yorick Moko wrote:
> another idea:
> when you want to send an sms to a lotof contacts, it can hel to be
> able to select them all, without always having to press "add contact"
> everytime

Good idea!

So we need some way of selecting several contacts. Perhaps a little
checkbox on each, or a "multiple select mode" where selecting one
contact won't deselect the previously selected one.

This is useful for many purposes:
* sms to many, as you said
* conference call (if the phone can do that)
* mass deletion
* move many to/from SIM card
* mass editing. Not useful now, but could be if the database is extended
   with more fields than just name and number. One can then set
   things like "city" or status:friend/business/... for several contacts
   in one operation. You get the usual edit window, but any change you
   make is then made for all the selected contacts. Maybe the "name"
   field shouldn't be mass-editable.

Helge Hafting

_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

Yorick Moko
indeed,
that mass deletion could also be very handy for the sms'es

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Helge Hafting <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yorick Moko wrote:
>>
>> another idea:
>> when you want to send an sms to a lotof contacts, it can hel to be
>> able to select them all, without always having to press "add contact"
>> everytime
>
> Good idea!
>
> So we need some way of selecting several contacts. Perhaps a little checkbox
> on each, or a "multiple select mode" where selecting one contact won't
> deselect the previously selected one.
>
> This is useful for many purposes:
> * sms to many, as you said
> * conference call (if the phone can do that)
> * mass deletion
> * move many to/from SIM card
> * mass editing. Not useful now, but could be if the database is extended
>  with more fields than just name and number. One can then set
>  things like "city" or status:friend/business/... for several contacts
>  in one operation. You get the usual edit window, but any change you
>  make is then made for all the selected contacts. Maybe the "name"
>  field shouldn't be mass-editable.
>
> Helge Hafting
>

_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

Yorick Moko
In reply to this post by Helge Hafting
indeed,
that mass deletion could also be very handy for the sms'es

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Helge Hafting <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yorick Moko wrote:
>>
>> another idea:
>> when you want to send an sms to a lotof contacts, it can hel to be
>> able to select them all, without always having to press "add contact"
>> everytime
>
> Good idea!
>
> So we need some way of selecting several contacts. Perhaps a little checkbox
> on each, or a "multiple select mode" where selecting one contact won't
> deselect the previously selected one.
>
> This is useful for many purposes:
> * sms to many, as you said
> * conference call (if the phone can do that)
> * mass deletion
> * move many to/from SIM card
> * mass editing. Not useful now, but could be if the database is extended
>  with more fields than just name and number. One can then set
>  things like "city" or status:friend/business/... for several contacts
>  in one operation. You get the usual edit window, but any change you
>  make is then made for all the selected contacts. Maybe the "name"
>  field shouldn't be mass-editable.
>
> Helge Hafting
>

_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

Helge Hafting
Yorick Moko wrote:
> indeed,
> that mass deletion could also be very handy for the sms'es

Sure, as anyone who have had to delete a few hundred messages one-by-one
will know. Hopefully, shr will do better than that someday.

Helge Hafting

_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

piratebab
If you have to manage hundred of contact, I am not sure the small touchscreen of the FR is the best solution.
You had better to export your list on a PC, make modifications, and import to the FR.


Helge Hafting a écrit :
Yorick Moko wrote:
  
indeed,
that mass deletion could also be very handy for the sms'es
    

Sure, as anyone who have had to delete a few hundred messages one-by-one 
will know. Hopefully, shr will do better than that someday.

Helge Hafting

_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel


  


_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

Helge Hafting
piratebab wrote:
> If you have to manage hundred of contact, I am not sure the small
> touchscreen of the FR is the best solution.
> You had better to export your list on a PC, make modifications, and
> import to the FR.

Managing hundreds of contacts is rare indeed.

But managing hundreds of messages is a common enough case. Sms is really
popular in some parts of the world. (Much cheaper than calls, you can
message someone that isn't picking up the phone at the moment, and the
persistency of the written.)

Helge Hafting

_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

William Kenworthy
On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 11:24 +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:

> piratebab wrote:
> > If you have to manage hundred of contact, I am not sure the small
> > touchscreen of the FR is the best solution.
> > You had better to export your list on a PC, make modifications, and
> > import to the FR.
>
> Managing hundreds of contacts is rare indeed.
>
> But managing hundreds of messages is a common enough case. Sms is really
> popular in some parts of the world. (Much cheaper than calls, you can
> message someone that isn't picking up the phone at the moment, and the
> persistency of the written.)
>
> Helge Hafting

Actually, hundreds of contacts is quite reasonable - business contacts,
sales lists, ...

Even my limited personel one on the treo was about 60 names after a few
years.  I remember also a few emails asking how to transfer large
numbers of contacts in the early days.

What has to be avoided is the behaviour of qtmail where it cant handle
more than a few mails before slowing to a stop ... a good design
shouldnt care how many/big the contact details are (within the spec of
course).  

While the "small screen" may not be the best to manage contacts in a PC
fashion, plenty of mobile devices manage to do it quite reasonably -
just need to put some thought into the interface and not accept that the
PC way is the only way - too much of that in FR interfaces already.


Billk




_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

Petr Vanek
In reply to this post by Helge Hafting
HH> Managing hundreds of contacts is rare indeed.
HH> But managing hundreds of messages is a common enough case.

thank you for your opinion, but are you sure this is really so rare?

just on the same notion - there are at least two user cases i know
of why some of my colleagues left the iphone behind - 1) having to
scroll through two thousands of contacts every time they wanted to make
a phone call, 2) having to scroll through tenths of mail folders to get
where they wanted.

is this not "typical" user case? perhaps not for some, but reality for
others :)


cheers

Petr



_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

Yorick Moko
with regards to the "hundreds of contacts"
it's always handy when you can type the name you want to send it to

just like entering e-mail adresses in things like gmail or hotmail
you type for example "a" and you get two options '[hidden email]" and
"[hidden email]" and you can choose the one you want
typing "a1" will give you the right contact right away

or when typing a letter you jump to that part of you contact list


this seems like a must,
every phone can do it...

y

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Petr Vanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HH> Managing hundreds of contacts is rare indeed.
> HH> But managing hundreds of messages is a common enough case.
>
> thank you for your opinion, but are you sure this is really so rare?
>
> just on the same notion - there are at least two user cases i know
> of why some of my colleagues left the iphone behind - 1) having to
> scroll through two thousands of contacts every time they wanted to make
> a phone call, 2) having to scroll through tenths of mail folders to get
> where they wanted.
>
> is this not "typical" user case? perhaps not for some, but reality for
> others :)
>
>
> cheers
>
> Petr
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Shr-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
>

_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

Helge Hafting
In reply to this post by Petr Vanek
Petr Vanek wrote:
> HH> Managing hundreds of contacts is rare indeed.
> HH> But managing hundreds of messages is a common enough case.
>
> thank you for your opinion, but are you sure this is really so rare?

I misunderstood. Having hundreds of contacts is common enough. And
obviosly selecting the right one must be easy. Scrolling is not good enough.

Having to delete or otherwise change several hundreds of contacts is
rare though. Had to do it once when I took over a used phone.  But this
is common with messages, you get new ones all the time. The inbox fill
up quickly, except that the current SIM card only holds about 12
messages and force me to clean up often. hopefully, that be one of the
first things opimd fixes.

>
> just on the same notion - there are at least two user cases i know
> of why some of my colleagues left the iphone behind - 1) having to
> scroll through two thousands of contacts every time they wanted to make
> a phone call, 2) having to scroll through tenths of mail folders to get
> where they wanted.
>
> is this not "typical" user case? perhaps not for some, but reality for
> others :)

So typical that I am surprised the iphone don't handle it better.
Even cheap simple phones handles the "lots of contacts" case by letting
you type the first few letters of a name.

Helge Hafting


_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

Petr Vanek
HH> So typical that I am surprised the iphone don't handle it better.
HH> Even cheap simple phones handles the "lots of contacts" case by
HH> letting you type the first few letters of a name.
HH>
HH> Helge Hafting

apparently the "type for a contact" contact is in there now, not for
email folders though...

cheers

--
Petr Vaněk

_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: opimd contact interface

Tilman Baumann
In reply to this post by William Kenworthy

William Kenworthy wrote:

> While the "small screen" may not be the best to manage contacts in a PC
> fashion, plenty of mobile devices manage to do it quite reasonably -
> just need to put some thought into the interface and not accept that the
> PC way is the only way - too much of that in FR interfaces already.

I like the iPhone speed scroll idea. (scrolling trough groups of letters
at the right side of the screen.)

Screen real estate is scarse, but there should be a way.
--
MFG
 Tilman Baumann


_______________________________________________
Shr-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/shr-devel
Loading...