power consumption depending on screen content

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

power consumption depending on screen content

Joerg Reisenweber
A completely white screen with ~40% backlight consumes same amount of power as
a completely black screen (-content) with backlight "dim" (=off)

(=> a black screen eats as much power as a backlight set to 40%)

(DUT: FR A7 SHR-U0808)


cheers
jOERG

_______________________________________________
hardware mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/hardware

signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: power consumption depending on screen content

Timo Juhani Lindfors
Joerg Reisenweber <[hidden email]> writes:
> A completely white screen with ~40% backlight consumes same amount of power as
> a completely black screen (-content) with backlight "dim" (=off)
>
> (=> a black screen eats as much power as a backlight set to 40%)
>
> (DUT: FR A7 SHR-U0808)

I wrote

http://iki.fi/lindi/openmoko/display-current-measurement1.pl

to test this. However, here white screen with 40% brightness consumes
significantly more than black screen with 0% brightness:

>dbg running echo 102 > /sys/class/backlight/gta02-bl/brightness
>dbg sleeping for 60 seconds for current to stabilize
>dbg taking 10 samples with 10-second delays
>dbg current now   102750, mean 102750.0000, deviation   -1.0000, range    0.0000
>dbg current now    99750, mean 101250.0000, deviation 2121.3203, range 3000.0000
>dbg current now    99750, mean 100750.0000, deviation 1732.0508, range 3000.0000
>dbg current now    91875, mean 98531.2500, deviation 4657.4034, range 10875.0000
>dbg current now    91875, mean 97200.0000, deviation 5012.9520, range 10875.0000
>dbg current now    91875, mean 96312.5000, deviation 4982.9396, range 10875.0000
>dbg current now    90750, mean 95517.8571, deviation 5011.1483, range 12000.0000
>dbg current now    90750, mean 94921.8750, deviation 4936.1718, range 12000.0000
>dbg current now   101812, mean 95687.4444, deviation 5157.0280, range 12000.0000
>dbg current now   101812, mean 96299.9000, deviation 5233.6376, range 12000.0000
>dbg running xset dpms force off
>dbg sleeping for 60 seconds for current to stabilize
>dbg taking 10 samples with 10-second delays
>dbg current now    48000, mean 48000.0000, deviation   -1.0000, range    0.0000
>dbg current now    48000, mean 48000.0000, deviation    0.0000, range    0.0000
>dbg current now    52687, mean 49562.3333, deviation 2706.0407, range 4687.0000
>dbg current now    52687, mean 50343.5000, deviation 2706.0407, range 4687.0000
>dbg current now    52687, mean 50812.2000, deviation 2567.1756, range 4687.0000
>dbg current now    62250, mean 52718.5000, deviation 5203.4787, range 14250.0000
>dbg current now    62250, mean 54080.1429, deviation 5961.7104, range 14250.0000
>dbg current now    62250, mean 55101.3750, deviation 6229.5975, range 14250.0000
>dbg current now    54562, mean 55041.4444, deviation 5830.0278, range 14250.0000
>dbg current now    54562, mean 54993.5000, deviation 5498.6935, range 14250.0000



_______________________________________________
hardware mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/hardware
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: power consumption depending on screen content

Joerg Reisenweber
[Timo Juhani Lindfors Fr  9. Oktober 2009]:
> Joerg Reisenweber <[hidden email]> writes:
> > A completely white screen with ~40% backlight consumes same amount of
power as

> > a completely black screen (-content) with backlight "dim" (=off)
> >
> > (=> a black screen eats as much power as a backlight set to 40%)
> >
> > (DUT: FR A7 SHR-U0808)
>
> I wrote
>
> http://iki.fi/lindi/openmoko/display-current-measurement1.pl
>
> to test this. However, here white screen with 40% brightness consumes
> significantly more than black screen with 0% brightness:
>
> >dbg running echo 102 > /sys/class/backlight/gta02-bl/brightness
> >dbg sleeping for 60 seconds for current to stabilize
> >dbg taking 10 samples with 10-second delays
> >dbg current now   102750, mean 102750.0000, deviation   -1.0000, range    
[...]
> >dbg running xset dpms force off
> >dbg sleeping for 60 seconds for current to stabilize
> >dbg taking 10 samples with 10-second delays
> >dbg current now    48000, mean 48000.0000, deviation   -1.0000, range    
0.0000
[...]

1: I didn't use xset dpms force off, I rather let SHR (or probably
FSO-framework) do it's dim-job, like it always does by default when hooked up
to wallcharger. No idea what is actually done on dim, or if it is
exactly "xset dpms force off"
(btw if dpms force off actually switches off LCM and glamo video clock, I'd be
rather surprised to see any difference from a light or dark video buffer
content)

2: I used current indicator LED on that wallcharger to positively find the
sketch program when dimmed with a virgin white screen uses significantly less
current than when dimmed with a painted black screen (and erasing all the
black brought it back to "power-saving mode", so it's not been any difference
in state of that program - like filled history buffer etc)

3: the probing during suspend was mainly due to the wallwart LED indicator
has its optimum resolution here, whereas it hardly differs for 190mA vs 220mA
e.g
Nevertheless I suspect the power consumption difference will be similar in
normal backlit state, and probably isn't related to dimming at all (except
for the rationale it's rather senseless to keep a black screen during
backlight LED off)


The compare to ~40% backlight power consumption was a rough guess just to
illustrate the magnitude of the effect, based on same LED readout on the
wallwart charger

I can't tell why your results are like that, but obviously your setup differs
somewhat to mine.

cheers
jOERG

_______________________________________________
hardware mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/hardware

signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: power consumption depending on screen content

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen
On 2009-10-09, Joerg Reisenweber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [Timo Juhani Lindfors Fr  9. Oktober 2009]:
> > Joerg Reisenweber <[hidden email]> writes:
> > > A completely white screen with ~40% backlight consumes same amount of
> power as
> > > a completely black screen (-content) with backlight "dim" (=off)
> > >
> > > (=> a black screen eats as much power as a backlight set to 40%)
> > >
> > > (DUT: FR A7 SHR-U0808)
> >
> > I wrote
> >
> > http://iki.fi/lindi/openmoko/display-current-measurement1.pl
> >
> > to test this. However, here white screen with 40% brightness consumes
> > significantly more than black screen with 0% brightness:
> >
> > >dbg running echo 102 > /sys/class/backlight/gta02-bl/brightness
> > >dbg sleeping for 60 seconds for current to stabilize
> > >dbg taking 10 samples with 10-second delays
> > >dbg current now   102750, mean 102750.0000, deviation   -1.0000, range
> [...]
> > >dbg running xset dpms force off
> > >dbg sleeping for 60 seconds for current to stabilize
> > >dbg taking 10 samples with 10-second delays
> > >dbg current now    48000, mean 48000.0000, deviation   -1.0000, range
> 0.0000
> [...]
>
> 1: I didn't use xset dpms force off, I rather let SHR (or probably
> FSO-framework) do it's dim-job, like it always does by default when hooked up
> to wallcharger. No idea what is actually done on dim, or if it is
> exactly "xset dpms force off"
> (btw if dpms force off actually switches off LCM and glamo video clock, I'd be
> rather surprised to see any difference from a light or dark video buffer
> content)
>
> 2: I used current indicator LED on that wallcharger to positively find the
> sketch program when dimmed with a virgin white screen uses significantly less
> current than when dimmed with a painted black screen (and erasing all the
> black brought it back to "power-saving mode", so it's not been any difference
> in state of that program - like filled history buffer etc)
>
> 3: the probing during suspend was mainly due to the wallwart LED indicator
> has its optimum resolution here, whereas it hardly differs for 190mA vs 220mA
> e.g
> Nevertheless I suspect the power consumption difference will be similar in
> normal backlit state, and probably isn't related to dimming at all (except
> for the rationale it's rather senseless to keep a black screen during
> backlight LED off)
>
>
> The compare to ~40% backlight power consumption was a rough guess just to
> illustrate the magnitude of the effect, based on same LED readout on the
> wallwart charger
>
> I can't tell why your results are like that, but obviously your setup differs
> somewhat to mine.

What happens if you do the same test with the screens flex cable
disconnected?

_______________________________________________
hardware mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/hardware
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: power consumption depending on screen content

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen
On 2009-10-28, Flemming Richter Mikkelsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
--snip--
> What happens if you do the same test with the screens flex cable
> disconnected?
>
 Never mind... I just read the other thread:)

_______________________________________________
hardware mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/hardware
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: power consumption depending on screen content

Joerg Reisenweber
[Flemming Richter Mikkelsen Mi  28. Oktober 2009]:
> On 2009-10-28, Flemming Richter Mikkelsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> --snip--
> > What happens if you do the same test with the screens flex cable
> > disconnected?
> >
>  Never mind... I just read the other thread:)
>

which other thread?

/j

_______________________________________________
hardware mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/hardware

signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: power consumption depending on screen content

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen
On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 20:34, Joerg Reisenweber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [Flemming Richter Mikkelsen Mi  28. Oktober 2009]:
>> On 2009-10-28, Flemming Richter Mikkelsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> --snip--
>> > What happens if you do the same test with the screens flex cable
>> > disconnected?
>> >
>>  Never mind... I just read the other thread:)
>>
>
> which other thread?

The one about backlight.  I know it is not the same thing
but it made me think this issue is more complex:)

Anyway, it could be fun to replace the screen with a
resistive load just to check if the power consumptions
still change with the content (black/white).  I guess
it might do that.

_______________________________________________
hardware mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/hardware