Quantcast

qtmoko v28

12

qtmoko v28

Radek Polak
Hi,
there is now new v28 release of qtmoko ready for downloading flashing and
testing. You can download it from our sourceforge page under "Experimental"
folder [1].

QtMoko is distribution for Neo Freerunner based on debian+qtopia. For more
info please check [2] [3].

This new release is based on 2.6.34 linux kernel. There are some noticable
changes since v27:

- switched from jffs2 to ubifs for better speed and performance
- qi with ubifs support and faster glamo timings (gena2x + ghislain)
- QX has it's own window manager
- QX can use qtmoko virtual keyboard
- removed qx_helper program hack
- fixed wifi bind/unbind (power on/off) devtool script (thanks to lindi)
- using dropbear instead of openssh-server
- vibrator and leds now work (lindi)
- updated omhacks (lindi)
- resume reason sysfs node is back (lindi)

Ubifs seems to have better performance. I didnt have time to do any
benchmarks, but v28 can boot in 1 minute and after booting to GUI it consumes
just 36 MB of ram.

Another advantage is that ubifs can do mmap operations which means that apt-
get now works without hacks in /etc/fstab with tmpfs for /var/cache/apt.

For booting ubifs you need to flash patched qi [4]. You can find this qi in on
download page. It has also faster glamo timing which means that graphics
should be faster now.

I did some experimental work on QX - application for running X window
applications in qtmoko. Now QX has it's own window manager. It has now only
"hello world" features, but it can be improved later. Important thing is that
X apps can be better integrated in qtmoko and we now dont need matchbox+gtk
libs installed by default which saves ~8MB in rootfs.

You can still easily use old matchbox. Just use checkbox in application
settings.

Special thanks go to lindi for work on omhacks and kernel, JaMa for figuring
out how to use ubifs and thanks also to others that i forgot to mention.

I am sorry that i didnt have time to fix your bug. Maybe for next release or
best to send your patches if you dont want to wait :)

Cheers

Radek

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/Experimental/
[2] http://qtmoko.org/
[3] http://activationrecord.net/radekp/qtmoko/
[4] http://github.com/radekp/qi

Re: qtmoko v28

giacomo 'giotti' mariani

> Hi,
> there is now new v28 release of qtmoko ready for downloading flashing and
> testing. You can download it from our sourceforge page under "Experimental"
> folder [1].
> [...]
> Ubifs seems to have better performance. I didnt have time to do any
> benchmarks, but v28 can boot in 1 minute and after booting to GUI it consumes
> just 36 MB of ram.
>
> Another advantage is that ubifs can do mmap operations which means that apt-
> get now works without hacks in /etc/fstab with tmpfs for /var/cache/apt.
>
> For booting ubifs you need to flash patched qi [4]. You can find this qi in on
> download page. It has also faster glamo timing which means that graphics
> should be faster now.
> [...]
Thank you very much!
This new version looks very cool, but I have a small problem: I'd like
to keep using uboot (gena2x one).
Is there some way to boot ubifs with it?

Thanks
    Giacomo

Re: qtmoko v28

Alfa21-mobile
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Radek Polak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> there is now new v28 release of qtmoko ready for downloading flashing and
> testing. You can download it from our sourceforge page under "Experimental"
> folder [1].

please,

- review and possibly include the patched version of the script for
usb mass storage I sent some day ago.

- roll back the power config patch about "locked" scenario to the
previous state because it's bugged and not stable.
(and no, it's not only a cosmetic bug)

- please don't switch back and forth on odd/even numbers to indicate a
stable or experimental release, or add a tag to the version number to
do that, eg: v28exp or v28u VS v28 otherwise it's difficult to
understand if it's ok for everyday use.

btw, thank you all for the work! :-)

Re: qtmoko v28

jluis
A Dimecres 20 Octubre 2010 12:52:05, giacomo 'giotti' mariani va escriure:
> > For booting ubifs you need to flash patched qi [4]. You can find this qi
> > in on download page. It has also faster glamo timing which means that
> > graphics should be faster now.
> > [...]
>
> Thank you very much!
> This new version looks very cool, but I have a small problem: I'd like
> to keep using uboot (gena2x one).
> Is there some way to boot ubifs with it?

Just do the same than qi does change the bootargs_base from :

rootfstype=jffs2 root=/dev/mtdblock6 console=ttySAC2,115200 console=tty0
loglevel=4 regular_boot

to :

fstype=ubifs  ubi.mtd=6,2048  root=ubi0:om-gta02-rootfs console=ttySAC2,115200
console=tty0 loglevel=4 regular_boot

> Thanks
>     Giacomo

Re: qtmoko v28

Radek Polak
On Wednesday 20 October 2010 13:34:55 Alfa21-mobile wrote:

> please,
>
> - review and possibly include the patched version of the script for
> usb mass storage I sent some day ago.

I have in my inbox waiting to be done, will be probably in next release ;-)

> - roll back the power config patch about "locked" scenario to the
> previous state because it's bugged and not stable.
> (and no, it's not only a cosmetic bug)

Also on my TODO.

> - please don't switch back and forth on odd/even numbers to indicate a
> stable or experimental release, or add a tag to the version number to
> do that, eg: v28exp or v28u VS v28 otherwise it's difficult to
> understand if it's ok for everyday use.

It's under Experimental folder, so i was hoping that it's quite clear that
it's experimental ;-).

Although it's experimental it should be ready for daily use for many people, i
am using it myself as daily phone.

I still consider v26 to be stable - and it's as default download on
sourceforge.

> btw, thank you all for the work! :-)

Thanks :)

Regards

Radek

Re: qtmoko v28

Radek Polak
On Wednesday 20 October 2010 12:52:05 giacomo 'giotti' mariani wrote:

> Thank you very much!
> This new version looks very cool, but I have a small problem: I'd like
> to keep using uboot (gena2x one).
> Is there some way to boot ubifs with it?

You would need patch or change u-boot environment like this commit [1]. Or i
can do also jffs2 image, but i would like to avoid it, since it's more work and
testing.

Regards

Radek

http://github.com/radekp/qi/commit/0c2d3c3e35c9edb7d1de00b5fcb739bf02afc582

Re: qtmoko v28

Alfa21-mobile
> It's under Experimental folder, so i was hoping that it's quite clear that
> it's experimental ;-).
>
> Although it's experimental it should be ready for daily use for many people, i
> am using it myself as daily phone.
>
> I still consider v26 to be stable - and it's as default download on
> sourceforge.

mmh... ;-)
so why is v28 called "experimental"? (not a real question eh!)

ok but when it's installed on a moko there is not that folder to
remember us it's nature ;P

and maybe it's easier for all of us here in list to immediately
distinguish that while discussing about qtmoko if we have such a
standard in versioning (like shr too) to put different emphasis on
certain kind of bugs accordingly.

just my 2c. :)
kind regards

Re: qtmoko v28

AstHrO FR-59
On 20/10/2010 13:34, Alfa21-mobile wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Radek Polak<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> there is now new v28 release of qtmoko ready for downloading flashing and
>> testing. You can download it from our sourceforge page under "Experimental"
>> folder [1].
>>

> please,
>
> - review and possibly include the patched version of the script for
> usb mass storage I sent some day ago.
>
> - roll back the power config patch about "locked" scenario to the
> previous state because it's bugged and not stable.
> (and no, it's not only a cosmetic bug)
>
> - please don't switch back and forth on odd/even numbers to indicate a
> stable or experimental release, or add a tag to the version number to
> do that, eg: v28exp or v28u VS v28 otherwise it's difficult to
> understand if it's ok for everyday use.
>
> btw, thank you all for the work! :-)

As usual, works great, but the
"reboot-when-you-launch-dialer-after-changing-theme" is still there...
It is REALLY faster, - stop keepeing accelerating, I won't be fest
enough to use my moko anymore !-

Thanks

AstHro

Re: qtmoko v28

Gennady Kupava
В Срд, 20/10/2010 в 14:20 +0200, Radek Polak пишет:

> On Wednesday 20 October 2010 12:52:05 giacomo 'giotti' mariani wrote:
>
> > Thank you very much!
> > This new version looks very cool, but I have a small problem: I'd like
> > to keep using uboot (gena2x one).
> > Is there some way to boot ubifs with it?
>
> You would need patch or change u-boot environment like this commit [1]. Or i
> can do also jffs2 image, but i would like to avoid it, since it's more work and
> testing.
>
> Regards
>
> Radek
>
> http://github.com/radekp/qi/commit/0c2d3c3e35c9edb7d1de00b5fcb739bf02afc582

Hi, Radek.

Thanks for new release!

Always wanted to test ubifs, so joining experimental branch to test
this. Just installed it, working well so far.

- rootfstype=jffs2 root=/dev/mtdblock6
+ fstype=ubifs  ubi.mtd=6,2048  root=ubi0:om-gta02-rootfs

U-boot environment change above is working well.

Regards,
Gennady.

Re: qtmoko v28

Davide

O Mércores, 20 de Outubro de 2010, Gennady Kupava escribiu:

> Always wanted to test ubifs, so joining experimental branch to test

> this. Just installed it, working well so far.

> - rootfstype=jffs2 root=/dev/mtdblock6

> + fstype=ubifs ubi.mtd=6,2048 root=ubi0:om-gta02-rootfs

> U-boot environment change above is working well.

Gennady

Is your "242-glamo-timings uboot" ubifs capable?

I cannot boot qtmoko v28 with it, even after changing bootargs...

Thank you

--

David Garabana Barro

jabber & google talk ID: [hidden email]

Clave pública PGP/GPG: http://davide.garabana.com/pgp.html

Re: qtmoko v28

Gennady Kupava
В Чтв, 21/10/2010 в 20:57 +0200, David Garabana Barro пишет:

> Gennady
>
> Is your "242-glamo-timings uboot" ubifs capable?
>
> I cannot boot qtmoko v28 with it, even after changing bootargs...

Hi, David.

Sure, it works ok here. Basically, u-boot's job on nand is only load
kernel from fsless partition, transfer boot params to it, and execute
kernel, so it is completely indefferent to kind of fs you have. glamo
timings has no relation to NAND at all too.

Recheck your env params and you downloaded everything in right way
(kernel, u-boot env). My updated u-boot env (xfs on sd card):

Source: http://www.bsdmn.com/openmoko/glamo/242/ubienv/environment.in
Binary: http://www.bsdmn.com/openmoko/glamo/242/ubienv/u-boot_env.in3

Gennady

Re: qtmoko v28

Ed Kapitein
 Hi Grennady,

I notice two times  "menu_1=" , is that intenional or just a typo?
Kind regards,
Ed

 On 10/21/2010 08:21 PM, Gennady Kupava wrote:

> В Чтв, 21/10/2010 в 20:57 +0200, David Garabana Barro пишет:
>
>> Gennady
>>
>> Is your "242-glamo-timings uboot" ubifs capable?
>>
>> I cannot boot qtmoko v28 with it, even after changing bootargs...
>>
> Hi, David.
>
> Sure, it works ok here. Basically, u-boot's job on nand is only load
> kernel from fsless partition, transfer boot params to it, and execute
> kernel, so it is completely indefferent to kind of fs you have. glamo
> timings has no relation to NAND at all too.
>
> Recheck your env params and you downloaded everything in right way
> (kernel, u-boot env). My updated u-boot env (xfs on sd card):
>
> Source: http://www.bsdmn.com/openmoko/glamo/242/ubienv/environment.in
> Binary: http://www.bsdmn.com/openmoko/glamo/242/ubienv/u-boot_env.in3
>
> Gennady

Re: qtmoko v28

Gennady Kupava
Hi, Ed,

Ah, yesterday i were thinking 'interesting, where is my NAND/jffs2
option?' but forgot about it today :) Sure, typo. Updated.

But beware, you should consider my env only as example - it boots sd
card by default, limits sd clock to values appropriate to my card.

Gennady

В Чтв, 21/10/2010 в 21:37 +0200, Ed Kapitein пишет:

> Hi Grennady,
>
> I notice two times  "menu_1=" , is that intenional or just a typo?
> Kind regards,
> Ed
>
>  On 10/21/2010 08:21 PM, Gennady Kupava wrote:
> > В Чтв, 21/10/2010 в 20:57 +0200, David Garabana Barro пишет:
> >
> >> Gennady
> >>
> >> Is your "242-glamo-timings uboot" ubifs capable?
> >>
> >> I cannot boot qtmoko v28 with it, even after changing bootargs...
> >>
> > Hi, David.
> >
> > Sure, it works ok here. Basically, u-boot's job on nand is only load
> > kernel from fsless partition, transfer boot params to it, and execute
> > kernel, so it is completely indefferent to kind of fs you have. glamo
> > timings has no relation to NAND at all too.
> >
> > Recheck your env params and you downloaded everything in right way
> > (kernel, u-boot env). My updated u-boot env (xfs on sd card):
> >
> > Source: http://www.bsdmn.com/openmoko/glamo/242/ubienv/environment.in
> > Binary: http://www.bsdmn.com/openmoko/glamo/242/ubienv/u-boot_env.in3
> >
> > Gennady

Re: qtmoko v28

Davide

O Mércores, 20 de Outubro de 2010, Radek Polak escribiu:

> Hi,

> there is now new v28 release of qtmoko ready for downloading flashing and

> testing. You can download it from our sourceforge page under "Experimental"

> folder [1].

Hi, Radek

Could you tell me if is there any difference between qtmoko kernel and shr kernel?

I'm asking it because my uSD is recognised (and partitions mounted) on every boot without changing any kernel parameter. This is something I didn't see since kernel 2.6.29

I couldn't test it thoroughly yet, but I even configured swap in a uSD partition and haven't suffered any hang by the moment.

I'm trying qtmoko v28 in NAND with qtmoko's page Qi.

This might be also interesting for kernel developers

David Garabana Barro wrote:

> Hi, Radek
>
> Could you tell me if is there any difference between qtmoko kernel and shr
> kernel?

They should be neraly the same except that i had problems with glamo KMS, so i
qtmoko does not have these patches. And i think .config is a bit different.

You can compare the gits [1][2] if you are interested in details.

> I'm asking it because my uSD is recognised (and partitions mounted) on
> every boot without changing any kernel parameter. This is something I
> didn't see since kernel 2.6.29

Hmm it could be something with the glamo KMS patches. If you can reproduce the
problem reliably them it would be interesting:

- trying SHR kernel sources with qtmoko .config
- trying to merge SHR git into qtmoko git

I could try it, but i have SHR on SD card and i havent found any problems. But
this could be because i use slow class 2 SD card.

> I couldn't test it thoroughly yet, but I even configured swap in a uSD
> partition and haven't suffered any hang by the moment.
>
> I'm trying qtmoko v28 in NAND with qtmoko's page Qi.
>
> This might be also interesting for kernel developers

Regards

Radek

[1] http://github.com/radekp/linux-2.6/tree/qtmoko-v29
[2] http://gitorious.org/~jama/htc-msm-2-6-32/openmoko-kernel/commits/om-
gta02-2.6.34

Re: qtmoko v28

Patryk Benderz
Dnia 2010-10-20, śro o godzinie 11:12 +0200, Radek Polak pisze:
> Hi,
> there is now new v28 release of qtmoko ready for downloading flashing and
> testing. You can download it from our sourceforge page under "Experimental"
Great job Radek!
Just one makes me wonder... is alsa-utils hold back on purpose?:

neo:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  alsa-utils
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521

Re: qtmoko v28

Radek Polak
On Tuesday 26 October 2010 14:35:06 Patryk Benderz wrote:

> Great job Radek!
> Just one makes me wonder... is alsa-utils hold back on purpose?:

Yes, the package in debian lenny has stupid dependencies on python and i
wanted to avoid it, so i am installing slighlty modified alsa-utils with dpkg
to avoid this dependency.

You can read about it in my git in doc/txt/debian_rootfs.txt

Regards

Radek

Re: qtmoko v28

Patryk Benderz
[cut]
> Yes, the package in debian lenny has stupid dependencies on python and i
> wanted to avoid it, so i am installing slighlty modified alsa-utils with dpkg
> to avoid this dependency.
damn... I have a habit to upgrade everything just after installation...
well, I assume I can live with that alsa-utils version?

В Втр, 26/10/2010 в 17:06 +0200, Patryk Benderz пишет:
> [cut]
> > Yes, the package in debian lenny has stupid dependencies on python and i
> > wanted to avoid it, so i am installing slighlty modified alsa-utils with dpkg
> > to avoid this dependency.
> damn... I have a habit to upgrade everything just after installation...
> well, I assume I can live with that alsa-utils version?

Anyway nowhere to upgrade, anyway qtmoko based on stable debian.

Gennady.

Re: qtmoko v28

ghislain
Radek,

I'm trying to adjust my installation images to start using ubifs, but I encounter the following problem:
When I use your rootfs (qtmoko-debian-v28.ubi), everyting is fine, but when I use my custom rootfs-image I get a kernel panic.

I think I do something wrong creating the ubi image, I use the following commands from your documentation:

mkfs.ubifs -r /tmp/qtmoko-debian -o qtmoko-debian.ubifs -x zlib -m 2048 -e 126976 -c 2047
ubinize -o qtmoko-debian.ubi -m 2048 -p 128KiB -s 2048 -O 2048 ubinize.cfg

(using your ubinize.cfg)

I've also edited the fstab, so I'm clueless now...

What do I do wrong, or what am I forgetting?

Ghislain
BaseTrend - openmobile.nl
12