qtmoko v30

Radek Polak
Hi,
qtmoko-v30 images are out now. They can be downloaded from sourceforge page
[1].

Qtmoko is debian+qtopia based distribution for Freerunner. For more info check
[2] [3].

For most users it's probably not worth upgrading, the changelog is very short:

- fixed headset jack detection
- Danish translations (Ole Carlsen)
- GPRS fix (Timo Juhani Lindfors)
- battery_platform for dumb batteries as module
- force GPS power up on resume (Gennady Kupava)

The headset jack can now be detected by using input device for it (patch by
larsc that creates this device is now included in kernel).

GPRS should be now more stable thanks to Timo's fix [4]. Please test and share
results :)

Dumb batteries could work now. You should do:

        modprobe platform_battery

or

        echo ppp_generic >> /media/card/etc/modules

to make it work. First one is for temporary test, second for permanent (reboot
needed). I havent tried, because i dont have dumb battery so again please test
it yourself and share results.

GPS powerup fix is probably needed only for uboot users, so i havent tested it
also.

Last probably most important change is that qtmoko and SHR have now same
source code. I have merged KMS patches from SHR and we have now same souce
code (only kernel config is now different).

I have also changed a bit my kernel branches. I will have two branches for
each release:

qtmoko-v30 is used for the release and contains stable 2.6.34 patches
qtmoko-v30-base is based on 2.6.34 without stable patches

In the "-base" branch you will see openmoko patches as top commits. This
branch can be also used for merging newer linux kernels.

The branch without "-base" has stable upstream kernel patches. It should be
secure but openmoko patches are not visible on the first look in history.

I hope you will like this release, although i had less time for it and it has
less improvements than i would like to.

Regards

Radek

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/Experimental/
[2] http://www.qtmoko.org/
[3] http://activationrecord.net/radekp/qtmoko/
[4] http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/2264

Re: qtmoko v30

Radek Polak
Radek Polak wrote:

> Hi,
> qtmoko-v30 images are out now. They can be downloaded from sourceforge page
> [1].

Btw sorry for the first mail, i hit some magic key shortcut that sent it before
the mail was finished.

And btw if you wonder why there is no v29 it's because i have screwed the v29
kernel repository on github while tring to merge SHR patches.

Regards

Radek

Re: qtmoko v30

Ole Carlsen
Den 05-12-2010 11:45, Radek Polak skrev:
> - fixed headset jack detection
> - Danish translations (Ole Carlsen)
> - GPRS fix (Timo Juhani Lindfors)
> - battery_platform for dumb batteries as module
> - force GPS power up on resume (Gennady Kupava)

> I hope you will like this release, although i had less time for it and it has
> less improvements than i would like to.

I will like it, just the fact that the headset jacks now works is great
for me. Secondly the build of the Danish translation seems to have
failed all files have the size of 327-334 bytes which seems to me to be
a little to small. I have now checked a great part of the translation
and corrected some translation and misspelled errors. Would you like me
to send the result for now to you??

--
Ole @ Carlsen-web.dk

Re: qtmoko v30

Joif
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: qtmoko v30

Radek Polak
On Monday 06 December 2010 00:35:37 Joif wrote:

> No problem with jack detection! The volume of the earphones for media
> players is good but it is very low for calls, I use qalsamixer to raise
> the earphones volume at each call. Is it possible to set a higher volume
> as default?

I noticed it too. It should be possible to save the state during call. If you
open terminal and do something like:

alsactl -f /usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/gsmheadset.state store

it should be stored permanently (maybe you can send this new version and i can
commit it :-)

> Wish list: volume control in the call screen :)

Yup i on my wishlist too :) I think qtopia has some system for it, it was
probably controllable by volume keys which Neo does not have.

> Suggestion: power off bluetooth and gps at startup (for battery saving)

GPS should be off, it's probably new bug in kernel. I think i can make
bluetooth off by removing line:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/gta02-pm-bt.0/power_on

from /etc/init.d/qpe.sh, but i have to test it first.

> Bugs:
> - GPS (I didn't try it yet, sorry) seems always powered on, or at least in
> Neo Tool it is always "GPS: 1", also after powered it off with the

I will take a look.

> Devtools. - Power management still confuses or loses battery/cable
> settings, only "when locked" settings work.

I think did something wrong there few releases ago. I hope i can fix it for
next release (and forever :)

> - "Invisible" missed call icon. I took a look at the files of my theme, I
> suppose there is a problem with the icons during compilation of Qtmoko. If
> I'm not wrong it is due to a duplicated file, Radek please take a look at
> your git in: qtmoko/etc/themes/finximod/pics. There are two files:
> - call.png
> - call.svg
> Please remove call.svg and leave call.png.

Done

Thanks for feedback i'll try to fix the problems as soon as possible.

Regards

Radek

small announcement, GPS u-boot one more fix Was: qtmoko v30

Gennady Kupava
Hi, all,

Inspired by this bug:

> Bugs:
> - GPS (I didn't try it yet, sorry) seems always powered on, or at least in
> Neo Tool it is always "GPS: 1", also after powered it off with the Devtools.

I decided to announce in ml that i setup small page on wiki about u-boot
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/U-boot-gena2x

I am planning to post all u-boot binaries I am doing to that page. Page
contains basic FAQ information how to setup u-boot, and link to git
repository with all changes.

I am planning to support this u-boot version as far as i can, please
just write down links or short bug reports to wiki.

Today i fixed one more problem with GPS power. In old version, u-boot
powered GPS on, and kernel didn't really work well in this situation, to
workaround that (and turn gps off), you had to do:

#cd /sys/devices/platform/gta02-pm-gps.0/
#cat power_on
1
# echo 0 > power_on
# cat power_on
1
# echo 1 > power_on
# cat power_on
1
# echo 0 > power_on
# cat power_on
0

With new version of bootloader, it is working just fine as expected.

New u-boot: http://www.bsdmn.com/openmoko/uboot/binary/u-boot_g2x_2.udfu
Sources: http://www.bsdmn.com/cgit/cgit/u-boot/

I tested gps with command-line tools, it seem working well, so
kernel-side should work just fine in all cases (resume, boot).

GPS seem powered up fine, but not powered down (i am using qtmoko v28).
Some thing with NeronGPS (it powers up, not down)

om tool working good.

Regards,
Gennady

Re: small announcement, GPS u-boot one more fix Was: qtmoko v30

Gennady Kupava
Hey, i didn't done proper separation or 2 unrelated questions.

This part about u-boot and power-on-boot problem:

> I decided to announce in ml that i setup small page on wiki about u-boot
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/U-boot-gena2x
>
> I am planning to post all u-boot binaries I am doing to that page. Page
> contains basic FAQ information how to setup u-boot, and link to git
> repository with all changes.
>
> I am planning to support this u-boot version as far as i can, please
> just write down links or short bug reports to wiki.
>
> Today i fixed one more problem with GPS power. In old version, u-boot
> powered GPS on, and kernel didn't really work well in this situation, to
> workaround that (and turn gps off), you had to do:
>
> #cd /sys/devices/platform/gta02-pm-gps.0/
> #cat power_on
> 1
> # echo 0 > power_on
> # cat power_on
> 1
> # echo 1 > power_on
> # cat power_on
> 1
> # echo 0 > power_on
> # cat power_on
> 0
>
> With new version of bootloader, it is working just fine as expected.
>
> New u-boot: http://www.bsdmn.com/openmoko/uboot/binary/u-boot_g2x_2.udfu
> Sources: http://www.bsdmn.com/cgit/cgit/u-boot/

And this part about GPS-power-off bug in qtmoko (v30), i tested in v28:

> I tested gps with command-line tools, it seem working well, so
> kernel-side should work just fine in all cases (resume, boot).
>
> GPS seem powered up fine, but not powered down (i am using qtmoko v28).
> Some thing with NeronGPS (it powers up, not down)
>
> om tool working good.

Regards,
Gennady

Re:: qtmoko v30 (running after build)

Joif
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: qtmoko v30

Joif
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: qtmoko v30, GPS power off

Gennady Kupava
В Втр, 07/12/2010 в 21:55 +0100, Francesco De Vita пишет:
> >> Bugs:
> >> - GPS (I didn't try it yet, sorry) seems always powered on, or at least in
> >> Neo Tool it is always "GPS: 1", also after powered it off with the
> >>
> > I will take a look.
> >

> Update: GPS is off after a suspend. If GPS is then turned on, "turn off
> GPS" from devtools still seems to not work.

Look like workaround.

I did some measurements on topic, here is results for whoose who is
interested:

1. kernel and bootloader perform well with GPS.
2. om (from omhacks) perform well
3. problem is that qtmoko puts gps to 'sleep' instead of 'off', but turs
off before suspend if 'sleep', so yes, after suspend it should be back
to 0.

Here is power measurements log (with multimeter on dumb battery):

test 1:
after boot ~190mA,
turn on GPS ~238mA(+-10),
turn 'off' GPS - same~238(+-10) mA,
om gps power 0 -> back to 190mA.
suspend -> 10-13 mA + jumping to 30 (deep sleep on, gps off via om gps
power 0),
resumed 190mA,
gps on 240mA,
suspend 9-13mA(wtf?),
again. resume 190mA,
om gps power 0,
gps on 240mA,
suspend 57mA(ok),
resume 250mA (checking gps: powered, serial ok),
gps off 240mA,
suspend 9-13mA,
resume 190mA (om gps power returns 0)

test 2:
consumption with fix and without fix look like same.

resume:
1) gps eat 50mA, adding 1/4 of consumption with full screen brightness
and gsm.
2) gps off does nothing in terms of power consumption
3) in suspends gps eats 40mA, x4 times normal consumption
4) 'gps off' has effect of turning off gps in suspend

Hope someone will find time to investigate this deeper and review power
onsumption.

Gennady.

Re: qtmoko v30

Yoric Kotchukov
Joif

>- Power management still confuses or loses battery/cable settings, only "when locked" settings work.

In $HOME/Settings/Trolltech/qpe.conf paste "Lock/External/BatteryPower" settings from previously working version, and do not run "Settings/Power management".
Thank you for your attention.