Quantcast

qtmoko v33

123

qtmoko v33

Radek Polak
Hi,
i have uploaded new qtmoko v33 images to sourceforge now [1]. They are still
called experimental, because a few things are still not perfect.

For more information about qtmoko please see [2][3].

Here is list of changes since v32:

* new theme "faenqo" (cyberspirit)
* qtmoko and it's applications are packaged as debian packages
* compiled natively on ARM with debian toolchain
* new web with applications and themes [4]
* applications are now installed from web browser
* new icon for installing qtmoko apps in Applications
* you can easily install new themes in appearence settings
* fixed usb mass storage script (thanks to Alfa21)
* omhacks are installed as debian package from sid
* qmplayer installs mencoder in debian
* mencoder uses ac3 codec for audio
* orange led brightness should be fixed (only in sources)
* moved all apps from qtmoko-apps git to qtmoko git
* updated docs for building and compiling

The list is quite short on how much of work it was.

Most of the effort was to package everything with debian package system. This
should be done now except for kernel which is on the list for next release.

For installing qtmoko with apt there is new line now in /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/debian/ /

Applications and themes are right now not in that repo. They can be installed
from web browser from url below [4]. Applications are put in categories, they
have tags and screenshots for easy searching and navigation. Please let me
know if you have ideas or patches for improving this. The application web is
generated from .xml files with xsltproc and bash scripts so it should be quite
easy to change look or improve it.

Btw .deb packages for most of the apps are still building right now so please
be patient - i will upload them as soon as the build is finished.

Applications in this version can be still installed with old qtopia package
system, but i am going to disable this for next release if new packaging will
be ok for you.

My plan for next version is to fix regression if you find any, package properly
also kernel and release it as stable.

Plans for future is FSO framework in qtmoko.

Don't forget to try new faenqo theme or use older themes (asthromod) which
were only in git until now. They are really nice.

Thanks for supporting qtmoko

Regards

Radek

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/Experimental/
[2] http://qtmoko.org/
[3] http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/
[4] http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/apps/
[5] https://github.com/radekp/qtmoko/tree/master/web/qtmoko-apps

Re: qtmoko v33

Patryk Benderz
Dnia 2011-03-04, pią o godzinie 07:37 +0100, Radek Polak pisze:
> Hi,
> i have uploaded new qtmoko v33 images to sourceforge now [1]. They are still
> called experimental, because a few things are still not perfect.
Thanks for you commitment Radek!
--
Patryk "LeadMan" Benderz
Linux Registered User #377521

Re: qtmoko v33

giacomo 'giotti' mariani
Hello,
> Hi,
> i have uploaded new qtmoko v33 images to sourceforge now [1]
Thank you very much!!

> * updated docs for building and compiling
Very interesting ;-)

> For installing qtmoko with apt there is new line now in /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> debhttp://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/debian/  /
Do you mean that I can update from QtMoko v32 with a single "apt-get
update && apt-get upgrade"?

> Applications and themes are right now not in that repo. They can be installed
> from web browser from url below [4]. Applications are put in categories, they
> have tags and screenshots for easy searching and navigation. Please let me
> know if you have ideas or patches for improving this.
Isn't it possible to have them in a repo and install them with apt?

Again: thank you very much!

Cheers
    Giacomo

giacomo 'giotti' mariani
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-key 0x99bfa859
O<  ASCII ribbon campaign: stop HTML mail
www.asciiribbon.org

Re: qtmoko v33

Bernie Schelberg
Thanks for keeping up the good work Radek.
I'm currently running v31. I added the new repository to the sources.list file, did an apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade and this is what I get:

Preparing to replace qtmoko 31-13 (using .../archives/qtmoko_33-1_armel.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement qtmoko ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/qtmoko_33-1_armel.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/opt/qtmoko/help/html/packagemanager-view-app.html', which is also in package qtmoko-files
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/qtmoko_33-1_armel.deb

What should I do to upgrade to the latest?

Bernie

On Friday 04 March 2011 11:47:33 giacomo 'giotti' mariani wrote:

> Do you mean that I can update from QtMoko v32 with a single "apt-get
> update && apt-get upgrade"?

That should be the target goal. Properly packaged kernel is now missing but
otherwise it should be possible.

> Isn't it possible to have them in a repo and install them with apt?

I think it should be possible i'll test it.

Regards

Radek

Re: qtmoko v33

Radek Polak
On Friday 04 March 2011 12:04:56 Bernard Schelberg wrote:

> Thanks for keeping up the good work Radek.
> I'm currently running v31. I added the new repository to the sources.list
> file, did an apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade and this is what I get:
>
> Preparing to replace qtmoko 31-13 (using
> .../archives/qtmoko_33-1_armel.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement qtmoko ...
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/qtmoko_33-1_armel.deb
> (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/opt/qtmoko/help/html/packagemanager-view-app.html',
> which is also in package qtmoko-files
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/qtmoko_33-1_armel.deb
>
> What should I do to upgrade to the latest?

I think you should delete /opt then

update-rc.d -f qpe.sh remove
apt-get install qtmoko
update-rc.d qtmoko defaults

However i have not tested this and i dont promise it will work :-) Please note
that this is still experimental. Next version will be probably stable.

Regards

Radek

Re: qtmoko v33

Hrabosh

Great job!

FYI: I've just installed Qt Creator and set up git and stuff so be ready
for stupid questions :-) I'm going to write simple app to monitor
battery (set charging current, check battery state etc.).

Hrabosh

Radek Polak píše v Pá 04. 03. 2011 v 07:37 +0100:

> Hi,
> i have uploaded new qtmoko v33 images to sourceforge now [1]. They are still
> called experimental, because a few things are still not perfect.
>
> For more information about qtmoko please see [2][3].
>
> Here is list of changes since v32:
>
> * new theme "faenqo" (cyberspirit)
> * qtmoko and it's applications are packaged as debian packages
> * compiled natively on ARM with debian toolchain
> * new web with applications and themes [4]
> * applications are now installed from web browser
> * new icon for installing qtmoko apps in Applications
> * you can easily install new themes in appearence settings
> * fixed usb mass storage script (thanks to Alfa21)
> * omhacks are installed as debian package from sid
> * qmplayer installs mencoder in debian
> * mencoder uses ac3 codec for audio
> * orange led brightness should be fixed (only in sources)
> * moved all apps from qtmoko-apps git to qtmoko git
> * updated docs for building and compiling
>
> The list is quite short on how much of work it was.
>
> Most of the effort was to package everything with debian package system. This
> should be done now except for kernel which is on the list for next release.
>
> For installing qtmoko with apt there is new line now in /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/debian/ /
>
> Applications and themes are right now not in that repo. They can be installed
> from web browser from url below [4]. Applications are put in categories, they
> have tags and screenshots for easy searching and navigation. Please let me
> know if you have ideas or patches for improving this. The application web is
> generated from .xml files with xsltproc and bash scripts so it should be quite
> easy to change look or improve it.
>
> Btw .deb packages for most of the apps are still building right now so please
> be patient - i will upload them as soon as the build is finished.
>
> Applications in this version can be still installed with old qtopia package
> system, but i am going to disable this for next release if new packaging will
> be ok for you.
>
> My plan for next version is to fix regression if you find any, package properly
> also kernel and release it as stable.
>
> Plans for future is FSO framework in qtmoko.
>
> Don't forget to try new faenqo theme or use older themes (asthromod) which
> were only in git until now. They are really nice.
>
> Thanks for supporting qtmoko
>
> Regards
>
> Radek
>

> [1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/Experimental/
> [2] http://qtmoko.org/
> [3] http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/
> [4] http://qtmoko.sourceforge.net/apps/
> [5] https://github.com/radekp/qtmoko/tree/master/web/qtmoko-apps

Re: qtmoko v33

Alfa21-mobile

> Here is list of changes since v32:

any difference since the previous exp. release of qi? I can see a v33 now...

> * new web with applications and themes [4]

coooool! this is the killer point of the new release! ^_^
I suggest you to add a default bookmark in arora browser (maybe instead of reddit!)

> My plan for next version is to fix regression if you find any

* unable to connect wifi wpa2-psk
* got some segfaults changing the theme and then opening the dialer
* removed package vim-tiny from v33 .tgz, please re-add it as default ;)
* visible kernel messages through the graphic desktop of qtmoko
* orange (charge) led is dark, but I like it more :)

> * new theme "faenqo" (cyberspirit)

nice, but how to lock the screen? :P

> * fixed usb mass storage script

I like the added logic to use the whole sdcard or a specific partition!

btw why in fstab you consider swap on p4? is there any doc about use of p3 in qtmoko?
(I usually set uSD's p1 as storage, p2 as rootfs, p3 as swap)

ah, about fs type... do you consider for future releases using btrfs or ext4? I know they have optimizations for flash memory kind of storage.

--
ALFA21 IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.

Re: qtmoko v33

Gennady Kupava
В Птн, 04/03/2011 в 22:16 +0100, Alfa21 пишет:

> > * new theme "faenqo" (cyberspirit)
>
> nice, but how to lock the screen? :P

in pull-up menu on main screen, first item is screen lock

Gennady

Re: qtmoko v33

Radek Polak
Alfa21 wrote:

> coooool! this is the killer point of the new release! ^_^
> I suggest you to add a default bookmark in arora browser (maybe instead of
> reddit!)

Nice idea, done:
https://github.com/radekp/arora-
neo/commit/fc5bd2e36841d61ec6074ea8895994a22be58761

> * unable to connect wifi wpa2-psk

Was is working in some older versions? It can be bug either in
wpa_supplicatant or in qmoko wifi plugin that creates configuration for
wpa_supplicant. Does it work when you setup wpa_supplicant from command line?
I am trying to connect WPA2-psk here and it does not work too :(

> * got some segfaults changing the theme and then opening the dialer

IIRC it crashed here to, but after restart it was ok.

> * removed package vim-tiny from v33 .tgz, please re-add it as default ;)

Hmm i am trying to keep the image as small as possible. I'd rather prefer if
people could install they favourite apps with apt-get.

> * visible kernel messages through the graphic desktop of qtmoko

Kernel should not print anything except serious errors. That should be fixed in
kernel instead. Do you know which message did you see?

> * orange (charge) led is dark, but I like it more :)

Should be fixed in sources, but i didnt want to recompile just because of this,
so it should be ok for next release.

> btw why in fstab you consider swap on p4? is there any doc about use of p3
> in qtmoko? (I usually set uSD's p1 as storage, p2 as rootfs, p3 as swap)

I used to partition my SD card like:

p1 for vfat
p2 for qtmoko
p3 for android/SHR
p4 for swap

I dont know if it's good idea to change this scheme. You can always make p3
and p4 partitions to match this scheme.

> ah, about fs type... do you consider for future releases using btrfs or
> ext4? I know they have optimizations for flash memory kind of storage.

IIRC you can use ext4 - it's compiled in kernel. Btrfs could be nice, but i
dont know if it makes sence now - e.g. if it performs good on FR. Unless
someone benchmarks it and proves that it works good on FR i'd like to keep
support only for ext2/ext3/ext4.

Regards

Radek

Re: qtmoko v33

Alfa21-mobile
2011-03-04@23:50 Gennady Kupava

> В Птн, 04/03/2011 в 22:16 +0100, Alfa21 пишет:
>
> > > * new theme "faenqo" (cyberspirit)
> >
> > nice, but how to lock the screen? :P
>
> in pull-up menu on main screen, first item is screen lock
>
> Gennady

doh!
thanks a lot ^^'
i like it :D

2011-03-05@12:42 Radek Polak

> > * unable to connect wifi wpa2-psk
>
> Was is working in some older versions? It can be bug either in
> wpa_supplicatant or in qmoko wifi plugin that creates configuration for
> wpa_supplicant. Does it work when you setup wpa_supplicant from command line?
> I am trying to connect WPA2-psk here and it does not work too :(

previously I had v31 and it was ok, but only on the first attempt and then I needed to reboot
(rebooted also because wifi didn't stop and battery drain empty in few hours)
the blue led in v31 did never turn on while connected.
before v31 it was all ok... IIRC

> > * got some segfaults changing the theme and then opening the dialer
>
> IIRC it crashed here to, but after restart it was ok.

yeah, the same here... it's not a show stopper bug.

> > * removed package vim-tiny from v33 .tgz, please re-add it as default ;)
>
> Hmm i am trying to keep the image as small as possible. I'd rather prefer if
> people could install they favourite apps with apt-get.

I agree, but I think vi/vim is quite a basic tool in any distribution.
I'd remove nano instead, not so common as vi is.
btw, nano is 1786kB, vim-tiny is 1114kB ;)

> > * visible kernel messages through the graphic desktop of qtmoko
>
> Kernel should not print anything except serious errors. That should be fixed in
> kernel instead. Do you know which message did you see?

it's the console output, not only kernel messages, sorry.
in v31 for example I was able to see messages about wifi connection/dhcp

> > btw why in fstab you consider swap on p4? is there any doc about use of p3
> > in qtmoko? (I usually set uSD's p1 as storage, p2 as rootfs, p3 as swap)
>
> I used to partition my SD card like:
>
> p1 for vfat
> p2 for qtmoko
> p3 for android/SHR
> p4 for swap
>
> I dont know if it's good idea to change this scheme. You can always make p3
> and p4 partitions to match this scheme.

ok, no problem for me as I can edit fstab... but at logic level I think p3 for android/shr is not strictly necessary for qtmoko and in general for a clean qtmoko phone ;)

> > ah, about fs type... do you consider for future releases using btrfs or
> > ext4? I know they have optimizations for flash memory kind of storage.
>
> IIRC you can use ext4 - it's compiled in kernel. Btrfs could be nice, but i
> dont know if it makes sence now - e.g. if it performs good on FR. Unless
> someone benchmarks it and proves that it works good on FR i'd like to keep
> support only for ext2/ext3/ext4.

tried ext4 without success... I think it's just qi(v33) problem, maybe it lacks ext4 support.

kind regards, a.

--
ALFA21 IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.

Re: qtmoko v33

Joif
What to say... (harder) better faster stronger! :D
Radek Polak wrote
* qtmoko and it's applications are packaged as debian packages
* new web with applications and themes
* applications are now installed from web browser
whoa! you're great!

Joif

Re: qtmoko v33

Stefan Monnier
> * qtmoko and it's applications are packaged as debian packages

Yay!  Thanks for the rest as well, but this is the big one for me.

        Stefan

Re: qtmoko v33

giacomo 'giotti' mariani
On 03/05/2011 18:20, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> * removed package vim-tiny from v33 .tgz, please re-add it as default;)
>> >
>> >  Hmm i am trying to keep the image as small as possible. I'd rather prefer if
>> >  people could install they favourite apps with apt-get.
> I agree, but I think vi/vim is quite a basic tool in any distribution.
> I'd remove nano instead, not so common as vi is.
> btw, nano is 1786kB, vim-tiny is 1114kB;)

+1 :-)

giacomo 'giotti' mariani
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-key 0x99bfa859
O<  ASCII ribbon campaign: stop HTML mail
www.asciiribbon.org

Re: qtmoko v33

Tiago Bortoletto Vaz
On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:01:20 +0100, giacomo 'giotti' mariani wrote

> > I agree, but I think vi/vim is quite a basic tool in any distribution.
> > I'd remove nano instead, not so common as vi is.
> > btw, nano is 1786kB, vim-tiny is 1114kB;)
> >

> +1 :-)

+1 for vim-tiny, but being honest, there's also nano-tiny package which is the
sized-winner here :)

neo:~# apt-cache show vim-tiny nano-tiny |grep ^Installed
Installed-Size: 724
Installed-Size: 168

Tiago Bortoletto Vaz
http://tiagovaz.org
0xA504FECA - http://pgp.mit.edu

Re: qtmoko v33

Ole Carlsen
Den 07-03-2011 11:01, giacomo 'giotti' mariani skrev:

>>> rather prefer if
>> I agree, but I think vi/vim is quite a basic tool in any distribution.
>> I'd remove nano instead, not so common as vi is.
>> btw, nano is 1786kB, vim-tiny is 1114kB;)
>>

> +1 :-)

I always go for mc and purge whatever text editor that is installed as
default but maybe we each have different needs!! :-)

--
Ole @ Carlsen-web.dk

messages through background [was Re: qtmoko v33]

Alfa21-mobile
2011-03-05@17:14 Alfa21

again on this topic: I can see painted over the background image "^@" for each time I press the AUX button

--
ALFA21 IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.

Re: messages through background [was Re: qtmoko v33]

Radek Polak
On Monday 07 March 2011 19:46:01 Alfa21 wrote:

> again on this topic: I can see painted over the background image "^@" for
> each time I press the AUX button

This is because commented out lines with getty in /dev/inittab. It can be fixed
with command:

stty -F /dev/tty1 -echo

I'll add it to qtmoko init script.

Regards

Radek

QtMoko and FSO (was: qtmoko v33)

Dmitry Chistikov
Radek Polak, Mar. 04, 2011, 07:37 +0100:
> i have uploaded new qtmoko v33 images to sourceforge now [1]. [...]
> The list is quite short on how much of work it was.

Hello, Radek! Thank you for the work you are doing.

> Most of the effort was to package everything with debian package system. This
> should be done now except for kernel which is on the list for next release.
> [...]
> My plan for next version is to fix regression if you find any, package properly
> also kernel and release it as stable.
>
> Plans for future is FSO framework in qtmoko.

I'm afraid it's too early to ask, but could you give an estimate on how
much time it'll take to enable the use of FSO framework? Just something
like "about a year" or, say, "not less than four months".

Thanks once more.

--
Dmitry Chistikov

123