recent KiCad vs. libboost

Werner Almesberger
Since bug fixes and small enhancements from the gta02-core project are
making it into KiCad mainline, it's best if we follow KiCad upstream
closely with the version of KiCad we're using to do things.

The KiCad developers are in general careful enough not to check in
things that break the build. Most of the checkin activity is around
the weekend while the rest of the week only gets a few commits.

The KiCad sources live here:
https://kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kicad/trunk/kicad

The documentation is here:
https://kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kicad/trunk/kicad-doc

And the default component libraries are here:
https://kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kicad/trunk/kicad-library

The build process is detailed in the file COMPILING.txt
Please note that the top-level Makefile is generated by CMake.

KiCad requires libboost 1.36 or newer. If using an older
distribution, you may need to upgrade libboost. With Ubuntu 8.10,
this can be done as follows:

- To /etc/apt/sources.list add (without indentation)

  deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu karmic main restricted universe multiverse

- To /etc/apt/preferences add (without indentation)

  Package: libboost1.38-dev
  Pin: release a=karmic
  Pin-Priority: 900

- apt-get install libboost1.38-dev

A quilt stack of patches that haven't made into KiCad mainline (yet)
is here:
http://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/gta02-core/kicad-patches/

Note that eeschema-plot-only-mode.patch is required for the --plot
option expanded/Makefile uses to automatically generate a PostScript
file from the schematics.

I'm dropping old-boost-build-fix.patch now from our collection, since
it's only needed for an older libboost, and may actually cause
problems.

Re: recent KiCad vs. libboost

Rene Harder
Are all you patches based on svn?

Yesterday, I used the 2009.02.16 release and had trouble to merge them.
Most of them worked pretty fine with slight modification except the
eeschema-plot....patch, some variables were not defined and I couldn't
find where they are defined. I might need to switch to the svn version.

In general I'm a little bit careful using developer versions in
production. I really don't like to waste time only because a program is
unstable or fezzes and hours of work will be lost.

Rene

Werner Almesberger wrote:

> Since bug fixes and small enhancements from the gta02-core project are
> making it into KiCad mainline, it's best if we follow KiCad upstream
> closely with the version of KiCad we're using to do things.
>
> The KiCad developers are in general careful enough not to check in
> things that break the build. Most of the checkin activity is around
> the weekend while the rest of the week only gets a few commits.
>
> The KiCad sources live here:
> https://kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kicad/trunk/kicad
>
> The documentation is here:
> https://kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kicad/trunk/kicad-doc
>
> And the default component libraries are here:
> https://kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kicad/trunk/kicad-library
>
> The build process is detailed in the file COMPILING.txt
> Please note that the top-level Makefile is generated by CMake.
>
> KiCad requires libboost 1.36 or newer. If using an older
> distribution, you may need to upgrade libboost. With Ubuntu 8.10,
> this can be done as follows:
>
> - To /etc/apt/sources.list add (without indentation)
>
>   deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu karmic main restricted universe multiverse
>
> - To /etc/apt/preferences add (without indentation)
>
>   Package: libboost1.38-dev
>   Pin: release a=karmic
>   Pin-Priority: 900
>
> - apt-get install libboost1.38-dev
>
> A quilt stack of patches that haven't made into KiCad mainline (yet)
> is here:
> http://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/gta02-core/kicad-patches/
>
> Note that eeschema-plot-only-mode.patch is required for the --plot
> option expanded/Makefile uses to automatically generate a PostScript
> file from the schematics.
>
> I'm dropping old-boost-build-fix.patch now from our collection, since
> it's only needed for an older libboost, and may actually cause
> problems.
>
> - Werner

Re: recent KiCad vs. libboost

Werner Almesberger
Rene Harder wrote:
> Are all you patches based on svn?

Yes. I usually try to stay no more than 1-2 days behind.
From now on, I'll put the revision into the "series" file.

> Yesterday, I used the 2009.02.16 release and had trouble to merge them.
> Most of them worked pretty fine with slight modification except the
> eeschema-plot....patch, some variables were not defined and I couldn't
> find where they are defined. I might need to switch to the svn version.

Yes, sometimes there's a bunch of cleanup changes that need
all patches to be updated. Doesn't happen too often, and the
patches are small, but you never know.

> In general I'm a little bit careful using developer versions in
> production. I really don't like to waste time only because a program is
> unstable or fezzes and hours of work will be lost.

The thing is that many recent changes are directly for our project,
so I think it makes sense to stay close to the latest development.
Someone who discovers an upset can just post a warning and we can
then wait until things have settled.

Just right now, there happens to be a big change in progress: the
ugly fonts are getting replaced with much more readable Hershey
fonts. This is good, because it means that we can use the new fonts
in the layout and it will also make the reviews easier as some of
the characters were easily confused.

What's bad at the moment is that the new font size differs a bit
from the old size.

Before:
http://people.openmoko.org/werner/gta02-core/gta02-core-expanded-all-pre-hershey.ps.gz

After:
http://people.openmoko.org/werner/gta02-core/gta02-core-expanded-all.ps.gz

It's particularly visible on the second page.

This problem is being worked on, so I hope we'll have correct sizes
again before too long. But it may be safer not to upgrade beyond
revision 1786 before this has settled. (My patches apply cleanly
against revision 1795 as well.)

Re: recent KiCad vs. libboost

cyrusdreams
Am Donnerstag 28 Mai 2009 schrieb Werner Almesberger:

> KiCad requires libboost 1.36 or newer. If using an older
> distribution, you may need to upgrade libboost. With Ubuntu 8.10,
> this can be done as follows:

For OpenSUSE, the most recent libboost can be found in the HAMradio repository
(generic install instructions):

- open YaST "Software Repositories"
- either do: "Add Community Repository" and chose openSUSE_1x.x_hamradio
- or do "HTTP..." and use following URL (use your specific openSUSE version!)

- save and exit, the repository should be initialized now (thoroughly read the
warning that appears!)
- open Package Management and search for libboost
- check which version you want to install in the "Version" tab of the window
- "update" the package if necessary by clicking on the version you want to
have in the "Version" tab

Maybe you should check in the "Summary" filter whether there are automatic
changes you don't want to have, then you would have to sort them out
manually :(

Greetings,
CyrusDreams

Re: recent KiCad vs. libboost

Michael Trimarchi-3
Hi,

cyrusdreams wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 28 Mai 2009 schrieb Werner Almesberger:
>
>> KiCad requires libboost 1.36 or newer. If using an older
>> distribution, you may need to upgrade libboost. With Ubuntu 8.10,
>> this can be done as follows:

Just to know. Is there a version for debian. I try to recompile libboost
but I have
some trouble too.
Michael