Quantcast

ventura upgrades

c_c

ventura upgrades

c_c
Hi,
  Thanks to an unknown contributer (googlecode hides email ids) - ventura has had a few usability improvements for finger scrolling, pg up, pg down, pg left and pg right buttons.
  I've updated the repository so the newer version should hit the feeds soon. For those not willing to wait here is an ipk ventura_1.0-r0.4_armv4t.ipk.

  As ususal, feedback is welcome.

Re: ventura upgrades

Rafael Ignacio Zurita
Hello,
--- On Wed, 4/14/10, c_c <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   Thanks to an unknown contributer (googlecode hides email ids) - ventura
> has had a few usability improvements for finger scrolling, pg up, pg

What I usually feel is that this kind of mails would need
few lines more :

What is ventura? What are its features?
How to use it?
Do you have a link of some screenshot?
Do you have a link of some short ventura video?

Often there are similar mails explaining some new features of
differents new apps versions, but because I do not
read all the mails I do not know, from time to time,
what thing those mails are showing.

Regards,

Rafael

c_c

Re: ventura upgrades

c_c
Hi,
  Ventura is a webkit based browser. The interface is minimal but obvious.
  HTH

Re: ventura upgrades

Petr Vanek
>>   Thanks to an unknown contributer (googlecode hides email ids) -
>> ventura has had a few usability improvements for finger scrolling,
>> pg up, pg
>
>What I usually feel is that this kind of mails would need
>few lines more :
>
>What is ventura? What are its features?
>How to use it?
>Do you have a link of some screenshot?
>Do you have a link of some short ventura video?
>
>Often there are similar mails explaining some new features of
>differents new apps versions, but because I do not
>read all the mails I do not know, from time to time,
>what thing those mails are showing.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Ventura

Petr

Re: ventura upgrades

Ben Thompson-3
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 05:31:51PM -0800, c_c wrote:

> Hi,
>   Thanks to an unknown contributer (googlecode hides email ids) - ventura
> has had a few usability improvements for finger scrolling, pg up, pg down,
> pg left and pg right buttons.
>   I've updated the repository so the newer version should hit the feeds
> soon. For those not willing to wait here is an ipk
> http://n2.nabble.com/file/n4905070/ventura_1.0-r0.4_armv4t.ipk
> ventura_1.0-r0.4_armv4t.ipk .
>
>   As ususal, feedback is welcome.

Hi

Firstly, thanks for creating Ventura; I use it every day. My feedback
is that I preferred the version without these modifications. I liked
the uncluttered screen before and the menu button was larger and
easier to use with my fingers. Also, I don't like that fact that more
of the web page is now obscured by icons.

Cheers

Ben

c_c

Re: ventura upgrades

c_c
Hi,
Ben Thompson-3 wrote
 I liked the uncluttered screen before and the menu button was larger and
easier to use with my fingers. Also, I don't like that fact that more
of the web page is now obscured by icons.
   I've been thinking of moving the buttons to the top of the screen - seeing that most websites have the topmost part without any links.
   I think the pg dn and pg up buttons actually make scrolling a lot simpler since the openmoko's graphics subsystem can't really cope up with the scrolling.

   Actually, the edj file can be improved to hide the buttons when not in use. Perhaps someone with greater edj experience can help.

   I'll update the edj file soon.

Re: ventura upgrades

urodelomutante
Hello.
Since I use ventura, my whole shr experience is much better. finally a
decent web browser! before it was impossible to surf the internet with
woosh or others. only dillo was usable for me, but with ventura i can
finally go through https too. i find the pg buttons etc very useful.
thanks a lot

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 03:31:51 +0200, c_c <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>   Thanks to an unknown contributer (googlecode hides email ids) - ventura
> has had a few usability improvements for finger scrolling, pg up, pg
> down,
> pg left and pg right buttons.
>   I've updated the repository so the newer version should hit the feeds
> soon. For those not willing to wait here is an ipk
> http://n2.nabble.com/file/n4905070/ventura_1.0-r0.4_armv4t.ipk
> ventura_1.0-r0.4_armv4t.ipk .
>
>   As ususal, feedback is welcome.

Re: ventura upgrades, https and self-signed certificates

Tom Yates-3
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, urodelo wrote:

> Since I use ventura, my whole shr experience is much better. finally a
> decent web browser! before it was impossible to surf the internet with
> woosh or others. only dillo was usable for me, but with ventura i can
> finally go through https too. i find the pg buttons etc very useful.
> thanks a lot

i, too, am much enjoying ventura over previous browsers.  that said, i
posted this query to shr-user originally, but got no answers, so i thought
i'd try here.  hope that's OK.

i had thought i was having a problem with ventura and https pages, because
in menu -> URL, the https drop-down doesn't select (i click it, but it
keeps coming up http), plus i couldn't follow a link to an https page i
wanted (my webmail service).

but it seems that https links are fine provided the certificate is
properly signed; it's only that i run my own webmail service and the
certificate is self-signed.  is there any way to tell ventura not to check
the certificate chain, but just to load the page?

--

   Tom Yates  -  http://www.teaparty.net

c_c

  Not yet. Hopefully with the newer version of webkit-efl nearing release this might be possible.

Re: ventura upgrades, https and self-signed certificates

urodelomutante
Right, i agree. In my case, if I point the browser to my https web page,
it shows a load of 10% and then stops. I just get a white page (which
should mean: hey i'm not willing to load anything!). The same page is
normally shown if ssl is disabled. Also for the https links I've
experimented the same behaviour as Tom. It is great to know all this will
be solved in the next release :-)
Thanks a lot again

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 15:25:50 +0200, Tom Yates <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, urodelo wrote:
>
>> Since I use ventura, my whole shr experience is much better. finally a
>> decent web browser! before it was impossible to surf the internet with
>> woosh or others. only dillo was usable for me, but with ventura i can
>> finally go through https too. i find the pg buttons etc very useful.
>> thanks a lot
>
> i, too, am much enjoying ventura over previous browsers.  that said, i
> posted this query to shr-user originally, but got no answers, so i
> thought
> i'd try here.  hope that's OK.
>
> i had thought i was having a problem with ventura and https pages,
> because
> in menu -> URL, the https drop-down doesn't select (i click it, but it
> keeps coming up http), plus i couldn't follow a link to an https page i
> wanted (my webmail service).
>
> but it seems that https links are fine provided the certificate is
> properly signed; it's only that i run my own webmail service and the
> certificate is self-signed.  is there any way to tell ventura not to
> check
> the certificate chain, but just to load the page?

--
Creato con il rivoluzionario client e-mail di Opera:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: ventura upgrades

Richard Kralovic-3
Hello,

I guess the modifications comes from me (I didn't know that google hides
my mail so well ;-) ). It was basically just a quick hack to make
ventura more comfortable according to my opinion. You can use the menu
to hide the buttons at the bottom of the screen, so you are able to
access links below them.

Greets
        Richard

c_c wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ben Thompson-3 wrote:
>>  I liked the uncluttered screen before and the menu button was larger and
>> easier to use with my fingers. Also, I don't like that fact that more
>> of the web page is now obscured by icons.
>>
>    I've been thinking of moving the buttons to the top of the screen -
> seeing that most websites have the topmost part without any links.
>    I think the pg dn and pg up buttons actually make scrolling a lot simpler
> since the openmoko's graphics subsystem can't really cope up with the
> scrolling.
>
>    Actually, the edj file can be improved to hide the buttons when not in
> use. Perhaps someone with greater edj experience can help.
>
>    I'll update the edj file soon.

c_c

Re: ventura upgrades

c_c
Richard Kralovic-3 wrote
I guess the modifications comes from me (I didn't know that google hides
my mail so well ;-) ).
  :-D It does! Thanks! I can always do with help - I've got a lot of projects to handle.
Richard Kralovic-3 wrote
 You can use the menu to hide the buttons at the bottom of the screen, so you are able to
access links below them.
  The menu can at best show about 5 items - so the "hide controls" command was not visible. Have made changes to the menu. Things should be better now.

Re: ventura upgrades

Petr Vanek
>  The menu can at best show about 5 items - so the "hide controls"
> command

thank you for the updated version, nice to have the ability to hide
the controls, if needed.

The "Page" item is hardly usable but i can imagine this is EFL issue
and nt yours... just reporting :), simply you cannot access the Reload,
Stop, Fullscreen... buttons.

What also gives me lot's of troubles is the URL dialog:

- after pressing cancel, the URL dialog will not show up, Ventura
  restart needed

- when editing url of already opened page, the url is present and
  highlighted, which is really great, but even if you move cursor
  around, the text stays highlighted so once you try to correct perhaps
  a typo, the whole text is gone and needs to be rewritten. Pressing
  Ćancel doesn't help due to the above issue.

c_c

Re: ventura upgrades

c_c
Hi,
Petr Vanek wrote
thank you for the updated version, nice to have the ability to hide
the controls, if needed.
  Thanks go out to Richard Kralovic-3!!
Petr Vanek wrote
The "Page" item is hardly usable but i can imagine this is EFL issue
and nt yours... just reporting :),
  Clicking again on the 'Page' menu item will popup the sub menu. Unfortunately, its not finger friendly yet. Needs multiple clicks - but it works.
Petr Vanek wrote
What also gives me lot's of troubles is the URL dialog
  I'll take a look at the cancel button issue.
Thanks for the feedback.

Ventura Debian package? [Re: ventura upgrades]

Mikael Berthe
Hello,

Do you know if somebody has built a Debian package for Ventura?

It looks like ewebkit is missing as well on Debian.

Regards,
Mikael

* c_c <[hidden email]> [2010-04-15 03:31 +0200]:

>   I've updated the repository so the newer version should hit the feeds
> soon. For those not willing to wait here is an ipk
> http://n2.nabble.com/file/n4905070/ventura_1.0-r0.4_armv4t.ipk

c_c

Re: Ventura Debian package? [Re: ventura upgrades]

c_c
Hi,
Mikael Berthe wrote
Do you know if somebody has built a Debian package for Ventura?
It looks like ewebkit is missing as well on Debian.
  I don't know. Though I'm willing to help if someone attempts this. I tried making a deb for intone, but it didn't quite work out right.
  ewebkit is a requirement, as is ca-certs for https pages. It seems to me that debian lags when it comes to EFL related packages - though there have been attempts to get EFL going on debian. I'm not current with my information though - so things could have changed.

Re: Ventura Debian package? [Re: ventura upgrades]

Kai Lüke
Hi,
I tried to port ventura and libewebkit packages to debian, but SHR uses
some really old packages (libicui for example) which are difficult to
install in debian, because there are much newer packages installed.
This is one site, but at the other side, debian does not have
libecore-input-evas-svn05, only libecore-input-svn-05 is there. When I
had copied and installed all files, there was an error caused by the
different library versions, I think.

The best thing to bring it running would be a new compile to link it
with newer versions, I think.
I send the little-bit-not-working-packages link ( http://ur1.ca/xx4m ).
So you can see the dependencies (I think, I found the right packages on
debian - SHR-names are different).
Greetings,
Kai

c_c

Re: Ventura Debian package? [Re: ventura upgrades]

c_c
Hi,
  @ Kai :  How do you compile packages for debian on FR? Using a toolchain or a bitbake recipe?

  I don't have debian on my FR - or a build system for debian on my PC. What needs to be done is to build ewebkit and ventura using the debian build system.

  My understanding is that if you can get ewebkit to compile (using whatever packages debian has - new or old or just differently named) then compiling ventura should not be an issue.

  You can check out the code from the repo at elm-browser.googlecode.com, change the Makefile.am to use the names of packages as existing in debian and run autogen.sh. ventura mainly depends on elementary and ewebkit.

HTH

Re: Ventura Debian package? [Re: ventura upgrades]

Kai Lüke
Hey,
I just copied the compiled files and made a deb-archive using "debreate".
I anybody could compile and link it to the unstable/testing-debian-libs,
it would be great.
Kai