[werner@openmoko.org: Re: help: debug board interfacing]

Werner Almesberger
Oops, didn't notice that you had dropped the list again until the mail
was already sent. Please try to "reply to all" so that the list is
kept in the loop.

I've also changed the list from "devel" to "hardware", which seems
more appropriate for the topic.

- Werner

----- Forwarded message from Werner Almesberger <[hidden email]> -----

Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 12:15:09 -0200
From: Werner Almesberger <[hidden email]>
To: Sreeraj a <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: help: debug board interfacing

Sreeraj a wrote:
> ok. my intention is to use  them as GPIO. planning to start by some
> LED-blinking.

That's easy: you can use the signals EINT3 or any of the SPI signals
just as GPIO. No need to worry about their other functions.

GPIO DebugV3 signal
----- --------------
GPE13 SPI_CLK0
GPE12 SPI_MOSI0
GPE11 SPI_MISO0
GPG2 SS0
GPF3 EINT3

You can change them with the "gpio" utility from
http://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/src/target/gpio/

E.g., the following shell command would toggle EINT3:

gta02# while true; do gpio f3=1; gpio f3=0; done

A pre-compiled version of "gpio" is also available from our package
feed under the name s3c24xx-gpio.

> hope to make my neo into a complete interfacing to the Phoenix
> box<http://www.nsc.res.in/%7Eelab/phoenix/>.

Looks nice !

> For that the best way is to use the UART pins, the box connects to the PC
> through UART.

UART is a little tricky. You can use the serial console (ttySAC2),
but then you have to make sure that the kernel doesn't print anything
and that nothing else tries to read the console (stealing the data
the board sends to your application.)

I see that the Phoenix board can also use USB. So that may be an
option as well.

- Werner

----- End forwarded message -----

Re: [werner@openmoko.org: Re: help: debug board interfacing]

Werner Almesberger
Sreeraj a wrote:
> i think i mentioned in my first mail that i am using a neo 1973 acc. to my
> information, it requires an ext. power supply to be used as a USB host.

Hmm, does it ? As far as I know, it should work fine from battery.
Of course, then you either need to worry about battery life or
connect some other supply to the battery terminals, which may or
may not be suitable for your setup.

> Quick question.
> are these modules (gpio etc..) available for neo1973?

Yes, GTA01 has these GPIOs too. The registers that control them are
even at the same address in the 2410 and the 2442, so the "gpio"
program works on both.

Re: [werner@openmoko.org: Re: help: debug board interfacing]

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen
IIRC, GTA01 aka neo1973 does not provide power
so an ext. PSU is needed.

[hidden email] wrote:
> IIRC, GTA01 aka neo1973 does not provide power
> so an ext. PSU is needed.

Ah, I should read more carefully. Correct, Neo1973/GTA01 can't supply
USB power. Only FreeRunner/GTA02 can.

Re: [werner@openmoko.org: Re: help: debug board interfacing]

Sreeraj a

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Werner Almesberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
[hidden email] wrote:
> IIRC, GTA01 aka neo1973 does not provide power
> so an ext. PSU is needed.

Ah, I should read more carefully. Correct, Neo1973/GTA01 can't supply
USB power. Only FreeRunner/GTA02 can.
but the I2C drivers should work with neo1973 ?

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Sreeraj a <[hidden email]> wrote:

but the I2C drivers should work with neo1973 ?
don't mind.
should have read your mail properly
will reply soon.

thanks for all the help.